Total nightmare - I lost 3 days of posts - I am so angry I need a break.

Foggy

Total nightmare - I lost 3 days of posts - I am so angry I need a break.

Post by Foggy » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:38 am

Tried again to update the board.

First step - back up the database. My server quit halfway through and corrupted the database instead of backing it up. The hosting company said "For some reason you got a 'disk too full' error, because it thought you only had 18GB of space but really you're supposed to have 180GB." They don't know why that happened, but the newest backup of the database I had was 3 days ago.

I sincerely apologize, nothing like this has happened in more than 6 years, as you know. I got so stressed out this morning I got physically sick (that's the polite way of saying I horked).

The upgrade also borked my Admin Control Panel in several ways. I will try to get that back working again after a break and some sincere discussion with phpBB support team. Lots of people are having the problem I have -- the database will only upgrade about 30%, then it throws a timeout and says "increase your time settings or use cli (command line interface)". I have updated the database more than a dozen times without incident, never saw anything like this.

So the board is working again but

1) we lost 3 days of posts, and

2) my Admin Control Panel is borked, and

3) this time, unlike in Jan. 2010, none of it happened because of any mistake I made.

I'm extremely upset about it. I sincerely apologize, because I read all those posts and they were the most brilliant posts ever written on any forum anywhere in this galaxy, and they're lost forever. Fuck those guys.

I'm going to go throw darts at a photo of the Apricot Asshat for a few hours, before I try to fix my Admin Control Panel.

But at least we're back online.

Again, I really apologize. I followed all the steps I was supposed to take, and the new version of the software simply isn't ready for prime-time.

Dammit. :madguy:

Karma is a bitch." - Jomas Thefferson

kate520

Re: Total nightmare - I lost 3 days of posts - I am so angry I need a break.

Post by kate520 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:41 am

Locked? I don't acknowledge no stinking locked!

Trump says he doesn't know much about computers, but that was sneaky, huh?

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug:

Thanks, foggy. Get some sleep.

Patriotism is the last refuge of a Scoundrel.
Samuel Johnson
April 7, 1775

Foggy

Re: Total nightmare - I lost 3 days of posts - I am so angry I need a break.

Post by Foggy » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:25 pm

Locked because :sterngard: will be insufferable -- you know how he gets. :lol:

I have submitted a very detailed request to the phpBB support team, including I created a new temporary admin so they can tinker around under the hood. Those guys are pros, even though they work on a volunteer basis, so OK they're not technically pros, but they're very, very good at what they do.

I'm going to take a break and let them fix my Admin Control Panel. They won't be able to bring back those 3 days of posts, those are gone forever and every one of them was more than precious to me.

My heart, it is broked. :brokenheart:

But now it's time to move past it, go through the seven stages of grief, come out on the other side, and get my ACP back up and running. I'm leaving that to the support team.

In all my years posting here, I never have used the "head banging against a brick wall" smiley, because I don't go around bonking my own personal headbone into walls of any kind. But today it is the only smiley that sums it all up:

:bangwall:

Karma is a bitch." - Jomas Thefferson

Return to “Announcements”