v.4 of the IPS forum software

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:06 pm

and... we're back to page loading on a geological time scale. Metaphorically. This page: 1 minute 20.Sorry, W4 already won the internet with the pitch drop reference. Foggy,To bump a couple of issues now that you're back:Is there any way to do away with the relative time stamps?  They make baby Jeebus cry.Is it even theoretically possible to get a plug in which will allow switching between the WYSIWYSAWYGIWYGATNYCDAISGUTI* editor and bbcode (or some other markup language) in a text editor?  It seems like there must be some sort of stored markup for each comment in order to generate html on request and that the ability to edit comments as text (or edit them elsewhere and paste text into the editor with all of the formatting included) would substantially reduce the malignancy of most of the editor problems.    I know you can't fix them outright, but I'd at least like to know which horrible new "features" are a result of a fundamental change in the underlying architecture and which are just something that a plug-in or future improvement might address.*What You See Is What You See And What You Get Is What You Got And There's Nothing You Can Do About It So Get Used To It

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
---Sun Tzu (quoting Thomas Jefferson)
nam-myoho-renge-kyo---Thomas Jefferson (quoting Slartibartfast)

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:32 pm

At this point, I don't care if we have an editor, or colors, or blinking smilies, or nested quotes, or any of that other stuff. I'd just be happy if I could click a button, read a post, reply to it with real words that I have to type myself, and return to the index in less than 20 minutes. 

SueDB

Post by SueDB » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:37 pm

An error occurred (500 Error)We're sorry, but a temporary technical error has occurred which means we cannot display this site right now.You can try again by clicking the button below, or try again later.  Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'IPSDbException' with message 'MySQL server has gone away' in /home/wlbjr/public_html/thefogbow.com/forum/system/Db/Db.php:363 Stack trace: #0 /home/wlbjr/public_html/thefogbow.com/forum/system/Db/Db.php(622): IPS_Db->preparedQuery('REPLACE INTO `w...', Array) #1 /home/wlbjr/public_html/thefogbow.com/forum/system/Session/Front.php(274): IPS_Db->replace('core_sessions', Array, true) #2 [internal function]: IPSSession_Front->write('ca5e3b5c1478616...', '') #3 [internal function]: session_write_close() #4 {main} thrown in /home/wlbjr/public_html/thefogbow.com/forum/system/Db/Db.php on line 363

“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:38 pm

If you think 4.0.9 will fix anything check out what people have found:Upgrade 4.0.8 -> 4.0.9 Submit Reply doesn't workBy Toelupe4 hours agoPendingToday I have upgraded to version 4.0.9 and I have a problem The problem is that the "Submit Reply" Button doesn't work if I try to answer a new post in existing topic, the button function if I open new topic or if I edit a post. Spirits of Arianwyn 5 Posted 3 hours ago · ReportSame here. Have also submitted a support request via ACP for this.   Ilya Hoilik 149 Posted 29 minutes ago (edited) · ReportThe same on my dev site. I hope fix will be asap@bfarberEdited 22 minutes ago by Ilya Hoilik  What a wonderful company IPS is. 

"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

Mr. Gneiss

Post by Mr. Gneiss » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:41 pm

It took slightly more than 6 minutes to load Fogbow, click on View New Content, and finally display the first post.  I then got this error message.  I will wait a couple of days to see if it clears up.  I'm using Firefox which others have indicated may be a source of the delays.Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'ErrorException' with message 'mysqli::prepare(): Couldn't fetch IPSDb' in /home/wlbjr/public_html/thefogbow.com/forum/system/Db/Db.php:360 Stack trace: #0 [internal function]: IPSIPS::errorHandler(2, 'mysqli::prepare...', '/home/wlbjr/pub...', 360, Array) #1 /home/wlbjr/public_html/thefogbow.com/forum/system/Db/Db.php(360): mysqli->prepare('/*IPS_Task::qu...') #2 /home/wlbjr/public_html/thefogbow.com/forum/system/Db/Select.php(321): IPS_Db->preparedQuery('SELECT * FROM `...', Array) #3 /home/wlbjr/public_html/thefogbow.com/forum/system/Db/Select.php(377): IPSDb_Select->runQuery() #4 /home/wlbjr/public_html/thefogbow.com/forum/system/Task/Task.php(110): IPSDb_Select->rewind() #5 /home/wlbjr/public_html/thefogbow.com/forum/system/Dispatcher/Standard.php(292): IPS_Task::queued() #6 [internal function]: IPSDispatcher_Standard->__destruct() #7 {main} thrown in /home/wlbjr/public_html/thefogbow.com/forum/system/Db/Db.php on line 360 

Family Liberty Patriot

Post by Family Liberty Patriot » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:44 pm

I am composing a strongly-worded letter to my congressman.

"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

John Kenneth Galbraith (1908 - 2006)

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:59 pm

Stalactite formations.

Vím o prasatech hodně zajímavých věcí.

Žluté vlasy se k oranžové tváři nehodí.

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:09 pm

I am composing a strongly-worded letter to my congressman.Maybe we can get Dr. Orly Taitz Esquire to sue them for our loss of Freedom of Speech, and causing pain and suffering.  That'll show 'em.    

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Family Liberty Patriot

Post by Family Liberty Patriot » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:19 pm

Nah, I was just kidding anyway, MY CONGRESSMAN IS A HUGE DICK.

"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

John Kenneth Galbraith (1908 - 2006)

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:35 pm

Nah, I was just kidding anyway, MY CONGRESSMAN IS A HUGE DICK.So is mine.

listeme

Post by listeme » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:01 pm

Fucking fuck.

We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:12 pm

No, fuck IPS.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:14 pm

Was it Loh or Mikedunford who says fuckity fuck fuck fuck?   

Patriotism is the last refuge of a Scoundrel.
Samuel Johnson
April 7, 1775

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:16 pm

That sounds like Loh. I miss him.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:18 pm

Or, as Ashley Morris was famous for, "Fuck you, you fucking fucks."

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:19 pm

I think that pitch experiment in Dublin was Judge Wingate's senior thesis.  Y'all might see this comment at lunchtime tomorrow.

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill!

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:21 pm

See my announcement. I'm going to install the latest update in the morning, but the short term plan is to go back to phpBB.This will cost about $300 (I think) but it's better to pay professionals to do it right.phpBB has made some significant improvements since I used their software, but I've kept up because I run two local forums on phpBB.My hosting company says the IPBoard software puts such a load on my server that all my websites are slowed down. I can't get IPBoard Support to help at all. I'm done with them and we're going back to software I know that works. I apologize for the hassle and problems we've had. At one point IPBoard was a good program, but v.4 has been a disaster. 

Karma is a bitch." - Jomas Thefferson

Mr. Gneiss

Post by Mr. Gneiss » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:25 pm

Thank you Foggy!

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:26 pm

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:28 pm

See my announcement. I'm going to install the latest update in the morning, but the short term plan is to go back to phpBB.This will cost about $300 (I think) but it's better to pay professionals to do it right.phpBB has made some significant improvements since I used their software, but I've kept up because I run a local forum on phpBB.My hosting company says the IPBoard software puts such a load on my server that all my websites are slowed down. I can't get IPBoard Support to help at all. I'm done with them and we're going back to software I know that works. I apologize for the hassle and problems we've had. At one point IPBoard was a good program, but v.4 has been a disaster. HOSANNA TO FOGGY IN THE HIGHEST!    

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
---Sun Tzu (quoting Thomas Jefferson)
nam-myoho-renge-kyo---Thomas Jefferson (quoting Slartibartfast)

vic

Post by vic » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:29 pm

Where did the Contribute button go? I wanted to make a contribution towards the phbBB.

L00Kit

Post by L00Kit » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:30 pm

Where did the Contribute button go? I wanted to make a contribution towards the phbBB.http://www.thefogbow.com/contribute

dbear

Post by dbear » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:32 pm

I just got this message.                                                                                                                                                            Try againFatal error: Uncaught exception 'IPSDbException' with message 'MySQL server has gone away' in /home/wlbjr/public_html/thefogbow.com/forum/system/Db/Db.php:363 Stack trace: #0 /home/wlbjr/public_html/thefogbow.com/forum/system/Db/Select.php(321): IPS_Db->preparedQuery('SELECT * FROM `...', Array) #1 /home/wlbjr/public_html/thefogbow.com/forum/system/Db/Select.php(377): IPSDb_Select->runQuery() #2 /home/wlbjr/public_html/thefogbow.com/forum/system/Task/Task.php(110): IPSDb_Select->rewind() #3 /home/wlbjr/public_html/thefogbow.com/forum/system/Dispatcher/Standard.php(292): IPS_Task::queued() #4 [internal function]: IPSDispatcher_Standard->__destruct() #5 {main} thrown in /home/wlbjr/public_html/thefogbow.com/forum/system/Db/Db.php on line 363 

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:35 pm

See my announcement. I'm going to install the latest update in the morning, but the short term plan is to go back to phpBB.This will cost about $300 (I think) but it's better to pay professionals to do it right.phpBB has made some significant improvements since I used their software, but I've kept up because I run two local forums on phpBB.My hosting company says the IPBoard software puts such a load on my server that all my websites are slowed down. I can't get IPBoard Support to help at all. I'm done with them and we're going back to software I know that works. I apologize for the hassle and problems we've had. At one point IPBoard was a good program, but v.4 has been a disaster. Where is the announcement? 

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:37 pm

Where is the announcement? It will show up in a couple weeks.

Return to “Announcements”