Which AUDIOBOOKS are you listening to these days?

Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Wrote this full message then Fogbow timed out. Typio Form Recovery doesn't work any more and haven't found an alternative yet. But it will all work out fine.

I've becoming a huge fan of Audiobooks. In some ways, they are really the precursor of podcasts/ I love to read and still do, but adding the narrator can bring unique things out of the text. Most libraries have Libby, a free service. You can get a library card free online these days, no library visit needed. With Broward Public Library, you can have a generous 20 books or Audiobooks at a time, and 10 Holds. Books are "checked out" meaning available in your Libby app or desktop browser for 14 days so it's plenty of time for most.

If anybody else here is a fan, please post some of your favorites and would love to hear some of yours. I like ancient/history, biographies, mythology, and lots of other topics.(Originally, I'd get the longest books possible for the credit like Parallel Lives of the Noble Greeks and Romans, Length: 83 hrs and 11 mins. I liked it but not as strict now :lol: )

Have been listening to Blitzed: Drugs in the Third Reich from 2017 and it's WILD.
A fast-paced narrative that discovers a surprising perspective on World War II: Nazi Germany’s all-consuming reliance on drugs

The Nazi regime preached an ideology of physical, mental, and moral purity. But as Norman Ohler reveals in this gripping new history, the Third Reich was saturated with drugs. On the eve of World War II, Germany was a pharmaceutical powerhouse, and companies such as Merck and Bayer cooked up cocaine, opiates, and, most of all, methamphetamines, to be consumed by everyone from factory workers to housewives to millions of German soldiers. In fact, troops regularly took rations of a form of crystal meth—the elevated energy and feelings of invincibility associated with the high even help to explain certain German military victories.

Drugs seeped all the way up to the Nazi high command and, especially, to Hitler himself. Over the course of the war, Hitler became increasingly dependent on injections of a cocktail of drugs—including a form of heroin—administered by his personal doctor. While drugs alone cannot explain the Nazis’ toxic racial theories or the events of World War II, Ohler’s investigation makes an overwhelming case that, if drugs are not taken into account, our understanding of the Third Reich is fundamentally incomplete.

Carefully researched and rivetingly readable, Blitzed throws surprising light on a history that, until now, has remained in the shadows.
"Blitzed: Drugs in Nazi Germany" by Norman Ohler is a non-fiction book that argues that the Nazis' use of chemical stimulants, including cocaine, heroin, morphine, and methamphetamines, played a crucial role in the successes and failures of the Third Reich. The book has been described as a revelatory work that considers Hitler's career in a new light and a serious piece of scholarship that provides a new facet to our understanding of the Third Reich. The Nazis presented themselves as warriors against moral degeneracy, but the book reveals that the entire Third Reich was permeated with drugs, from factory workers to housewives, and crucial to troops' resilience, even partly explaining German victory in 1940.
To be fair, there's a Guardian article https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/ ... ler-review that takes great issue with Ohler. However, Ohler is a distinguished writer, and Guardian actually provided a pull quote that's on the back cover. Here are a ton of Reviews in spoiler and they are amazing and strongly disagree with Richard J Evans:
► Show Spoiler
“Ohler paints a picture of the Nazi era that will enthrall World War II history buffs and all non-fiction readers alike.” —Library Journal

"The author who exposed the hidden history of Nazis on Meth." —Playboy

Part of the book is located in the Look Inside upper left corner along with an Audible preview:

Even if there are inaccuracies about how wide spread the drug use was (Richard J Evans insists the general public wasn't doing drugs, and that Hitler was a tee-totaling, anti drug vegetarian, but many say that was just propaganda. Definitely worth a listen. Does anyone believe it's true?
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Grumpy Git
Verified:

Post by Grumpy Git »

More into full cast audio dramas than single-narrator offerings .

UK company Big Finish launched in 1999, started off getting the rights for Doctor Who stories featuring some of the original actors, then spread their creative wings from there.

If you're familiar with British tv series of the 60s and 70s, you may recognise some of the shows they now have the rights for, such as The Avengers, Blake's 7, The Prisoner, but they also create original work plus adapt some classic novels, even have some Star Trek and Dark Shadows content too.

Worth keeping an eye on their regular sales, for example I picked up their 2017 adaptation of H.G. Wells The Invisible Man, starring the late, great, Sir John Hurt, for just £2.99, usual price £12.99.

If you're curious here's a page of links to their various ranges.
https://www.bigfinish.com/hubs

oh and they have loads of free stuff you can sample!
https://www.bigfinish.com/collections/v ... h-for-free
:thumbsup:
dw.jpg
dw.jpg (161.17 KiB) Viewed 1454 times
hg.jpg
hg.jpg (100.29 KiB) Viewed 1454 times
tmc.jpg
tmc.jpg (80.4 KiB) Viewed 1454 times
sh.jpg
sh.jpg (109.67 KiB) Viewed 1454 times
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

orlylicious wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:12 am
A fast-paced narrative that discovers a surprising perspective on World War II: Nazi Germany’s all-consuming reliance on drugs
Even if there are inaccuracies about how wide spread the drug use was (Richard J Evans insists the general public wasn't doing drugs, and that Hitler was a tee-totaling, anti drug vegetarian, but many say that was just propaganda. Definitely worth a listen. Does anyone believe it's true?
I've read a couple of books on Hitler/WWII that discussed his drug use and its effects. There could have been broader use, but I'm skeptical about widespread.

Hitler was a physical wreck.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Off Topic
orlylicious wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:12 am Wrote this full message then Fogbow timed out. Typio Form Recovery doesn't work any more and haven't found an alternative yet. But it will all work out fine.

:snippity:
When the browser times out just hit the refresh icon, the browser may ask you if you intend to resubmit confidential data (the form data of the message), click yes, repeat once or twice (as was needed in the recent hickup of TFB), should eventuall get thru without losing the content.

or

Click on the Back icon "<-" most browsers will still have retained the form data, submit freshly from there, if scared, save your message first.

(applies at least to the Chrome Browser in as I use it)
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

I plan to listen to “Project Hail Mary” by Andy Weir. It was highly recommended by a good friend of mine. I can crochet while I listen.😎
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Just got a stack out of the local library for two up coming road trips, will review after :)

Generally make a 7 hr trip feel like a couple of ours at most. :)
wavey davey

Post by wavey davey »

I got an Audible account during Covid lockdown. I have made very good use of it, combining listening with my ambitious walking routine (10,000 to 20,000 steps a day).

My first listen was The Lord of the Rings trilogy. There are a couple different versions of this, but the one narrated by is by Rob Inglis far the best.

Various other Tolkien books, notably The Hobbit and The Silmarillion. I read the Silimarillion long ago, and it is a dry read, but the audio version brings it to life.

From there I went on to several others, all in the SciFi/Fantasy genres.

In no particular order:

Stranger in a Strange Land

Dune, Dune Messiah

Blade Runner

His Dark Materials, books 1, 2, 3. Narrated by the author Philip Pullman with full cast

The Book of Dust, books 1, 2. Prequel/Sequel to His Dark Materials. Narrated by the author Philip Pullman with full cast. Book 3 coming soon.

The Sandman, Acts I, II, III. Narrated by the author Neil Gaiman, with full cast.
Image Image ImageImage
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

I have a Libby account with one local library and a Hoopla account with another. I usually listen to mysteries and try to see if and how fast I can solve them. ;) ;)
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Still really enjoying audiobooks, I get credits with Audible but use those for very long books or those not in Broward Public Library's Libby/Overdrive. I prefer Overdrive because it's a dark color... Libby is only white so it's really bright. Put it in as a suggestion to toggle but no luck yet.

Here are some I'm really enjoyed...

Imperial Twilight (listening now), The Opium War and the end of China's Last Golden Age

The Ottomans by Marc David Baer, Comprehensive look a the the history of the Ottomans

Smart Brevity, Jim VandeHei, The Power of saying More with Less (short)

The Devil in the White City, Erik Larson (movie being made)

Red, White and Royal Blue, Casey McQuiston, Fiction about the VP's Son and the Prince of England falling in love (didn't know, but there's an Amazon Prime movie of it out now on Prime)

Raven Rock by Garrett Graff, The Story of the US Government's Secret Plan to Save Itself -- While the Rest of Us Die (all of Garrett's books are excellent)

A Mystery of Mysteries, Mark Dawidziak, The Death and Life of Edgar Allan Poe

Razzle Dazzle, Michael Riedel, The Battle for Broadway (about the Shubert Organization)

The First Conspiracy, Brad Meltzer, The Secret Plot to Kill George Washington

Trust The Plan, Will Sommer, The Rise of QAnon

The Ruin of All Witches, Malcolm Gaskill, Life and Death on the New World

The Venetians, Paul Strathern, A New History from Marco Polo Onward

Carthage Must Be Destroyed, Richard Miles, The Rise and Fall of an Ancient Civilization

I Was Better Last Night, Harvey Fierstein, A Memoir

Retail Gangster, Gary Wess, The Insane, Real-Live Story of Crazy Eddie (NYC electronics chain owner)

Secret City, James Kirchick, The Hidden History of Gay Washington DC

Don't Know Much About Mythology, Kenneth C. Davis

Born to Be Hanged, Keith Thomson, The Epic Story of the Gentleman Pirates

Norse Mythology, Neil Gaiman

Like A Rolling Stone, Jann S. Wenner, Memoir

Powers and Thrones, Dan Jones, A New History of the Middle Ages

There's a lot more, but hopefully that's something for everyone. On Libby/Overdrive, you can have 20 books out at a time, and wait list 10, it's great. And Audible lets you suspend you account for a few months if you have too many credits.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

orlylicious wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:58 pm
There's a lot more, but hopefully that's something for everyone. On Libby/Overdrive, you can have 20 books out at a time, and wait list 10, it's great. And Audible lets you suspend you account for a few months if you have too many credits.
Doesn’t that depend on your library, not the app? Mine doesn’t allow nearly that many out.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I’ve enjoyed a few Neil Stephenson books on Audible, Reamde, Fall, and The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O, a time travel romp. That one was fun.

Last week I finished Denver Riggleman’s latest, The Breach. I liked it. He read it himself and did a good job. I finished the book hoping he’d switch parties. Guy has an analytical mind and a functioning bs detector.

I also read Miles Taylor’s Blowback, about coming out as tfg admin’s Anon. Him I wanted to wrap in my arms and hug him and tell him it would be ok in the end.

Going back to Stephenson for the fall quilting marathon. I have three to finish before Christmas and his books are LONG. I also have the new Barbara Kingsolver but I’m not in the mood.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

I week ago I had a trip to Indiana so decided to go with an audiobook for a book I have read many a time. Since I had to drive around Chicago and on the F****** Borman Parking Lot (I think that's official name), I went with something I knew well and was light and cheery.

By some of my recent comments on other threads, some of you may have guessed the book. :towel:

It still did not keep me from saying "f***" 42 f****** times on the F****** eastbound Borman.

I'm an earthling so I haven't got the whole Don't Panic thing down yet.

Today's lesson is that I like The Hitchhiker's guide and f****** hate the F****** Borman (mainly eastbound as westbound works better for me, as well as any Chicago area road can).
101010 :towel:
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

I can't find the version read by Douglas last winter, but I've been listening to this instead of thinking:

Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

John Scalzi's KAIJU PERSERVATION SOCIETY
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Right now I’m listening to Palace of Treason - it’s the second in the Red Sparrow trilogy by Jason Matthews. It’s a cat-n-mouse story about the CIA and Russian intelligence. It’s fun.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Luke

Post by Luke »

pipistrelle[align=center wrote:[/align] post_id=213004 time=1693163317 user_id=89]
orlylicious wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:58 pm
Doesn’t that depend on your library, not the app? Mine doesn’t allow nearly that many out.
True, I should have said for my library, Broward County FL. Thought most did 20 so I learned something new. No matter how many, it's great libraries are in the 21st century with online library cards, ebooks & audiobooks. I spent sooo much time in traditional libraries, its like a new world with all this.

My old friend Jim Dale was a Broadway star showman, he was Barnum on Broadway. (I use his "There is a sucker born every minute" track often with MAGAs lol). Now, all the kids know him as the narrator of the Harry Potter books. He said it's a whole new world and he doesn't have to leave the den lol. It's always a multi month wait for those audiobooks; someday I'll use an Audible credit to hear Jim.

Simon Vance is my favorite narrator, he's done hundreds. From many of the Anne Rice books to 007, sometimes I'll search for Simon because they're always great.

Thanks for the recommendations!
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

I *love* Simon Vance.

Another favorite is Davina Porter. She narrated the Outlander books. I could listen to her All Day Long! She’s got the accents down (except American, which is kinda funny).
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Flatpoint High wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:17 pm John Scalzi's KAIJU PERSERVATION SOCIETY
Loved it! I’m a Scalzi fan.
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

Marcus Aurelius, Meditations.
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
Luke

Post by Luke »

My Name is Barbra, read by Streisand, just arrived on Audible. 48 hours long! Starts with playing a bit of Evergreen instrumental, hope there's lots of music.

As always, you can sign up for Audible, get the free book, then cancel membership. I pre-ordered it with an Audible credit, which is the best deal because the Audiobook is $70.00! Hardcopy $31.50, Kindle $18.99. But no doubt hearing her read it is worth it.

I know Streisand and worked for her on and off over the years, her manager was a great guy and having front row floor seats for concerts was incredible. Some shows we were only like 15-20 feet from her (we could read her cue cards haha.) Richard Jay-Alexander, whom I worked with back when he was producing Les Miz (I had a client playing Valjean, directs almost all of her performances now. So it's always old home week when we're all together. I know a lot of the stories, but at 48 hours I expect a lot of new material. (Not at all trying to brag, just give some perspective.)
My Name Is Barbra
By: Barbra Streisand
Narrated by: Barbra Streisand
Length: 48 hrs and 14 mins
Unabridged Audiobook
Release date: 11-07-23
Language: English
Publisher: Penguin Audio

The long-awaited memoir by the superstar of stage, screen, recordings, and television

Barbra Streisand is by any account a living legend, a woman who in a career spanning six decades has excelled in every area of entertainment. She is among the handful of EGOT winners (Emmy, Grammy, Oscar, and Tony) and has one of the greatest and most recognizable voices in the history of popular music. She has been nominated for a Grammy 46 times, and with Yentl she became the first woman to write, produce, direct, and star in a major motion picture. In My Name Is Barbra, she tells her own story about her life and extraordinary career, from growing up in Brooklyn to her first star-making appearances in New York nightclubs to her breakout performance in Funny Girl on stage and winning the Oscar for that performance on film. Then came a long string of successes in every medium in the years that followed. The book is, like Barbra herself, frank, funny, opinionated, and charming. She recounts her early struggles to become an actress, eventually turning to singing to earn a living; the recording of some of her acclaimed albums; the years of effort involved in making Yentl; her direction of The Prince of Tides; her friendships with figures ranging from Marlon Brando to Madeleine Albright; her political advocacy; and the fulfillment she’s found in her marriage to James Brolin.

No entertainer’s memoir has been more anticipated than Barbra Streisand’s, and this engrossing and delightful book will be eagerly welcomed by her millions of fans.

Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

I just picked up 'Slayers', an attempt by several of the Buffy the Vampire Slayer actors to do an extended audiobook (co-written by Amber 'Tara' Benson) reprising and putting twists on the characters from the series. Started, got 20-30 minutes in, and said "Let's save the rest for my R&R trip in two weeks." It's my first vacation since I got to my current overseas assignment, and I need the break and plugging headphones into my cell phone and listening to an already downloaded audiobook gives me something to kill the flight hours and earbuds in my ear as a hedge against air pressure annoyances. So a win-win.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Resurrection Walk by Michael Connelly. It’s a Lincoln Lawyer/Harry Bosch novel. The literary equivalent of mindless television.
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

How to be a bad Emperor - Suetonius
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Just picked up a swag from the local library for a couple of road trips to visit family…

I’ll post the ones we listened to :)

Also library has board games
Grabbed
Isle of cats
And
Obsession

A few more there that look interesting
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

“A Thousand Years In A Day” is a fascinating box set produced by ABC Radio National. It’s an ambitious project that distils 1,000 years of history into a captivating audio experience.

A Thousand Years In A Day
Has everybody heard about the bird?

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”