Rest in Peace elliewyatt

realist

Rest in Peace elliewyatt

Post by realist »

On Tuesday morning, November 23, 2010, our beloved ellie was killed in a car accident, when she lost control of her minivan while traveling late at night to see her family for Thanksgiving.Ellie was a very special person. She was smart, well-educated (in almost every subject), witty, and talented. She was passionate about Western History and spent many hours writing and speaking about it. She was also passionate about individuals and entities who misused nonprofit status to fleece unsuspecting people, and devoted countless hours to researching, and then exposing and reporting such entities.Despite her “Grumpy People” label, Ellie was a kind and generous woman with a heart of gold. She spent countless hours selflessly serving the elderly of the Navajo Nation, a people she loved. ==========I had the distinct pleasure of meeting ellie and her dad, or “Daddio” as she so lovingly referred to him, while they were on a trip exploring the Southwest, as they loved to do. We spent an afternoon at a local restaurant, a time I fondly remember. I pointed out some of the sights to see in Santa Fe, and also showed them a back way to Taos that is a beautiful drive. As everyone here knows, ellie thoroughly enjoyed that drive and the time they spent in Taos.Whether we had the privilege of meeting and knowing ellie in person, as I was so fortunate to do, however briefly, or whether we know her from her prolific posts and discussions here on PJ/FB, I’m sure we all have some very distinct and fond memories of ellie. This thread will serve as a memorial to one of our best and most unique members.Rest In Peace, ellie.
ImageX 4 ImageX36

ZekeB

Rest in Peace elliewyatt

Post by ZekeB »

I received an e-mail from ellie's daughter shortly after getting home from work. I am still in disbelief. Ellie will be missed by me, and I am certain everyone else here. Realist said it in a nutshell. Grumpy, she was not. She was an honorary grump.Rest in peace, ellie.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

Epectitus

Rest in Peace elliewyatt

Post by Epectitus »

For what is it to die but to stand naked in the wind and melt into the sun?

And what is it to cease breathing, but to free the breath from its restless tides, that it may rise and expand and seek God unencumbered?

Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing.

And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb.

And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance.

Kahlil Gibran My heart is broken tonight. Ellie... I will miss you.
"Hell, I would wear a dress and ruby red slippers all year if we can prove this" - Mike Zullo

GardenGnome

Rest in Peace elliewyatt

Post by GardenGnome »

Rest in peace, Ellie....I didn't know her, but she was so welcoming to me when I joined. I know how well-loved she was here, and how well-respected. She was so smart, and so witty! I will miss her posts, and my heart goes out to her family, her friends, and all the members who knew her .... I just can't believe she's gone! Rest in peace, sweet lady. {SMILIES_PATH}/pray.gif

mimi

Rest in Peace elliewyatt

Post by mimi »

Oh such sad news. I will miss ellie so very much.

Tesibria

Rest in Peace elliewyatt

Post by Tesibria »

Ellie once said that "[Snowmen] don't "die". They get to play in the creek, then frolick with the fishies for awhile, then become clouds, then come back as snowmen again." Ellie had an ever-amazing world/life view. My heart is breaking most for her immediate family who must surely be utterly devastated. And it's breaking for us. We've lost such an amazing, fearless woman. She is irreplaceable.
“Words are sacred. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones, in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.”― Tom Stoppard
WYE: Arpaio-Melendres-Seattle Operation Timeline | Sectec Astronomy: Dennis Montgomery Timeline

Plutodog

Rest in Peace elliewyatt

Post by Plutodog »

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that. It's always hard when death passes through and this time is no different. Rest in Peace, Ellie. So many good thoughts go with you--and go on about you without you. We're all mortal and again made deeply aware of it as we grieve. I'm sure all our hearts also go out to Ellie's family. RIP Ellie.
The only good Bundy is an Al Bundy.

kate520

Rest in Peace elliewyatt

Post by kate520 »

Oh, Ellie. I'll miss you terribly. Rest in peace, dear.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Smithereens

Rest in Peace elliewyatt

Post by Smithereens »

Oh my this is so sad. I was wondering where Ellie was - hoping to hear about all that sourdough bread she had brought back from SF. Rest In Peace, Ellie. Still in shock at losing a fellow grumpy - but really a wonderful person from my talks with her in late night chat.

Highlands

Rest in Peace elliewyatt

Post by Highlands »

Traditional Irish Blessing

May the road rise up to meet you.

May the wind be always at your back.

May the sun shine warm upon your face;

the rains fall soft upon your fields and until we meet again,

may God hold you in the palm of His hand.Rest in Peace Dear elliewyatt. We will miss you so.
If you took out all of the blood vessels in your body and lined them up, you would be dead. #science

TexasFilly

Rest in Peace elliewyatt

Post by TexasFilly »

This news is so shocking and saddening. I've been thinking of nothing but ellie since I heard of her untimely death. Ellie and I shared many private messages, where we discussed her love of Western history, and our mutual interest in the Mormons. Ellie had an incredible wit, was so smart and knowledgeable about so many things, and, fundamentally, a most decent and kind human being. I always balked at linking to a specific blog because I knew ellie could not access it (and she always let me know!). I think of her love of cuisine, of her devotion to her dad, of how proud she was of her family. Ellie, we will miss you, and you will remain a part of this community. Farewell, my friend.
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

No Pilikia

Rest in Peace elliewyatt

Post by No Pilikia »

I am shocked, in disbelief, & shedding some tears as I read this. I never "met" her but I felt a bond with ellie, as a fellow "keiki o ka aina" -- a child of the land -- who wasn't born here but knew Hawaii. Unlike most of you here, I am new to this entire concept of vaguely "knowing" folks on the internet. It's heartbreaking to realize that she won't reply to us anymore. I feel blessed to have "known" her via the PJ/FB community. My sincere condolences to her family. May her passing remind us all again, that life is a precious thing, & we should never take it for granted.
"The opportunity that Hawaii offered -- to experience a variety of cultures in a climate of mutual respect -- became an integral part of my world view and a basis for the values I hold most dear." Barack Obama, 1999

nbc

Rest in Peace elliewyatt

Post by nbc »

Damn ](*,)

shrek

Rest in Peace elliewyatt

Post by shrek »

First click of the day, before I can face e-mails, is always active topics in FB/PJ. It usually starts the day off with a laugh or at least a smile.This mornings post brings just awful news. I am in shock. Ellie was a giant. Though I never met her in person her posts were always worth reading, from smart one-liners to fascinating essays. She had such intelligence, wit, compassion and steely determination. You would not want her fighting against you; but what an ally!. She will be sorely missed. I can't imagine the void her passing leaves in the lives of her family and close friends. My prayers and best wishes to them.RIP Elliewyatt.

GreatGrey

Rest in Peace elliewyatt

Post by GreatGrey »

I had many fun hours in chat with Ellie and BB, snarking on red plaid high heels and other important stuffs. I'm gonna miss her, as greenie said, she was a wonder at finding things out, and full of good stuff to know.
I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

Foggy

Rest in Peace elliewyatt

Post by Foggy »

Oh, no. No.She was more alive than 99% of the human race!Oh, my beautiful, beautiful ellie! My life was so much richer with you in it!I had noticed her absence, but I thought she was traveling again with her beloved father.I'm going to be sad for a long, long time.I have an idea -- something we can do for her family. No, not flowers. A PJ/Fogbow tribute.Keep writing about her. I'll collect all our memories and love for her, and create a single web page that her family can read. If anyone has time, please dig up some of her best lines and post links to them, and I'll add those, too. I would like her family to see how much we loved that awesome, amazing incredible woman.Oh, no. I'll miss you, my friend. I'll miss you.
Edit: If there's a Heaven, the people up there better shape up and pay attention!
For more information, read it again.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

TollandRCR

Rest in Peace elliewyatt

Post by TollandRCR »

I feel Ellie's death as a death in the family. She cannot be replaced.

Author unknown, many attributions of provenance; may be related to Hopi culture.

Do not stand at my grave and weep;

I am not there, I do not sleep.

I am a thousand winds that blow.

I am the diamond glints on snow.

I am the sunlight on ripened grain.

I am the gentle autumn rain.

When you awaken in the morning's hush

I am the swift uplifting rush

Of quiet birds in circled flight.

I am the soft stars that shine at night.

Do not stand at my grave and cry;

I am not there, I did not die.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Addie

Rest in Peace elliewyatt

Post by Addie »

What shocking news. RIP, elliewyatt. You were an original.
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

Foggy

Rest in Peace elliewyatt

Post by Foggy »

Grumpy, she was not. She was an honorary grump.I know what you're saying here. She was full of love ... love of life and love of people. My biggest disappointment at the Phoenix meetup was that ellie wasn't able to make it. She was a bringer of happiness, and she would have brought a ton of happy to that wonderful weekend.

BUT ...

Nobody here was more proud and pleased that I created the "Grumpy people" group and put her in it. She was grumpy in the bestest traditions of grumpy peoples everywhere. She grumped when there was a reason to grump, and she took no prisoners.

Example: She did love her some elderly folks, and not just Navaho. She spread the love around like there was an unlimited supply. Which, in her, there was.

But if anyone within her reach ever dissed the elderly or mistreated them, look out. When you look up "fierce" in the dictionary, her picture is there.

I think we all remember her grumping about people who claimed "Your donations are tax deductible," when in fact, they weren't. That particular grumpiness was based on her vast expertise, which was hard-earned. Nobody here knew more about nonprofit corporations and how to dig up information about them.

My beautiful, beautiful elliewyatt wore her grumpiness on her sleeve, and I'm never going to take that away from her. As long as I'm able to keep the Fogbow going, her name will always be purple. Y'all KNOW that's what she would want.
For more information, read it again.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

twinx

Rest in Peace elliewyatt

Post by twinx »

What shocking and sad news. What a terrible loss.My sincere condolences to all Ellie's loved ones. I hope the affection, admiration, and respect being expressed here is some small comfort to those who are feeling her loss most deeply.

milspec

Rest in Peace elliewyatt

Post by milspec »

Words Fail RIP ellewyatt.

Welsh Dragon

Rest in Peace elliewyatt

Post by Welsh Dragon »

That's devastating news! RIP elliewyatt , you'll be much missed.

rajah

Rest in Peace elliewyatt

Post by rajah »

I am finding it hard to write this. I had many enjoyable hours in chat with Ellie and we shared an interest in the early days of our respective countries. She had just recently emailed me several copies of " The Outrider", a magazine which she had started and edited for her Western History Branch. She often told me that she missed the smell of the Eucalypt trees in California and that they would not grow in the cold climate where she lived I suggested a Snow Gum to her and she was going to get one.I will truly miss her.Dick

Reality Check

Rest in Peace elliewyatt

Post by Reality Check »

This is terrible news. Just before my show last night ZekeB asked me to try to contact realist and just said it was news he hoped wasn't true. I am glad he didn't tell me now. I never had the pleasure of meeting Ellie in person only in chat and through her posts but her wonderful personality and intellect came through like a beacon.
"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

Return to “Announcements”