Questions and Suggestions about Fogbow (consolidated)

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

Please, pretty please a link to "Active Topics" at the bottom of the pages, like ya done did at PJ before.Yes'm. All done. And I centered the links so's you won't have to do all that work movin' yer mousie to the right side of the page.

I wuz logged inta Fogbow and walked away to attend a PIE & ICE CREAM SOCIAL fundraiser --> \ :D / and when I got back, I wuz logged out. This aint never, ever happened at PJ. I chose cherry pie. :xo .I don't think that's a setting in the Admin Control Panel, but lemme look into it. There are a wide variety of support sites. I'm gonna put 'em in a thread, then y'all can help me look for solutions to problems like this.
For more information, read it again. || When science is outlawed, only outlaws will have science.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

Using [/break1]com/]http://thefogbow.com/

With Firefox 3.6.10

Welcome to the Fogbow. We'll be open for biznis in a day or so ...

With IE 8.0.7600.16385

Welcome to the Fogbow. Join our forum by clickin' here.That's because your Firefox had cached the page. Hold down the Shift key and click the 'reload' button at the top of the screen. I made one basic change last night. More today.

Very weird: When I hit the quote button on nolu's post, it put two line breaks between nolu and chan. Is this another one of those "embedded space" things, or is there something going on with the phpBB?
For more information, read it again. || When science is outlawed, only outlaws will have science.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

I'm gonna consolidate all the posts about the forum in this thread. Makes it easier for me to follow along and make changes where appropriate.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

PS: I like the codes all listed instead of in a pull down menu. Nice change.I like that too.So do I, on the wide-screen format. I'm using subsilver2 for now. The reason I did that originally was, on PJ the only style you could use was Prosilver Special Edition, and the narrow size of the forum was too dang crowded with all the buttons and smileys and such. If anyone is continuing to use Prosilver SE and thinks that's a problem, post about it in this thread and maybe I can implement the drop-down list just for that style. There are a lot more styles available ... 152 of 'em, to be exact. You can look at 'em all [link]here,http://www.phpbb.com/styles/demo/3.0/[/link]. Some of them are wicked cool, with dark pages and light fonts, like check out [link]Acid Tech,http://www.phpbb.com/styles/demo/3.0/?style_id=30[/link] The problem is, for little customization thingies like putting the links at the top and bottom of every page and putting the Fogbow graphic in each one and some other stuff like that, I have to customize each style separately. And I'm not gonna customize 25 styles. Might add one or two more, someday.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

bogus info

Post by bogus info »

Foggy,Is this just going to be a birther forum?

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

I have to say, I just love the wide screen format, the buttons instead of the drop window, etc. It's like driving a Cadillac Escalade after years of driving a Mini Cooper! =D> =D> \ :D / \ :D / :-* :-* :-* :-*
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

gimmeabreak

Post by gimmeabreak »

Looks good, Foggy! Thanks so much to go through all this trouble for us. My UN/PW came over like a charm.

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

Foggy,

Is this just going to be a birther forum?Mostly. Also other right-wing conspiracy theories and fringe groups. I think we get custody of Sarah Palin. :mrgreen:

The idea is to continue posting about other, "regular" political topics on PJ. In order to make that easy, I have put a link on the Board index page and on every page of this forum to PJ. I also put a link on the Board index page of PJ and on every page of PJ to this forum. We're "sister forums" now, and our area at Fogbow is the whackjob nutcase frootloop birthers and others like them ... in particular, RAPsters and sovereign citizens.

This was my agreement with Justin -- I would get the Eligibility threads and posts, and he would keep the general political discussions. I undersand (and Justin understands) that it may or may not be a workable arrangement over the long run. We're going to try it for a few months and make adjustments as we go along.

This next part, bogus, is directed not at you, but at the herd in general.

I know many people are angry at Justin. I don't share that sentiment. I will ALWAYS owe Justin my respect and gratitude for creating Politijab in the first place, and for making me first a moderator and then an admin.

Yes, he stopped following the Birthers and moved on. Yes, he nagged us somewhat to do the same. Yes, he neglected making some needed improvements to PJ. Yes, PJ had some technical problems that made it difficult to use. Yes to all that ... many of the complaints were legitimate. I'm not denying that.

But I still say that PJ is and has been an island of sanity in a vast sea of madness.

I asked y'all once. "Other than fixing the technical problems that plagued us all, what would you really do to improve PJ, to make it a better, more attractive site on which to post?" Nobody had much of an answer to that. For all the technical problems, PJ is and has been one of the most magical places on the Internet. Justin and Brian, who created and guided the site, get all the credit for that, and the rest of us were just assistants and beneficiaries.

I'm not going to change any of the rules and policies he set. I'm going to do my best to live up to the standards he established. I really don't want to see a lot of carping and drama, not here and not on PJ. I'm still going to continue to be admin at PJ, and you may have noticed, Justin is an admin here for the foreseeable future. We're still a team. We're going to remain a team.

I see Fogbow as the site that follows the Birthers and the other fringe hate groups, and PJ as the place for discussing more mainstream political topics. And I have made it so that moving from one site to the other is as easy and seamless as navigating around PJ always has been.

I also did a significant amount of work in the past couple weeks to try to solve some of the technical problems at PJ. I'm going to continue that effort, too. Please join me in trying to make both sites successful.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee23 ... birds1.gif

I did some work on the [link]Fogbow home page,http://www.thefogbow.com[/link]. Maybe my "mission statement" will help clarify. The link buttons are still a work in progress. Only three of them work so far. But I made some more progress, and now I have other things to fill my day.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

mimi

Post by mimi »

I like the prosilver SE where the forum shows as same size as it was at PJ's. That across the whole monitor is very hard to read. Anyway, the codes in the reply mode take up 2 rows. It's cool. Thanks for all your hard work, Foggy. I like it.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

I like the prosilver SE where the forum shows as same size as it was at PJ's. That across the whole monitor is very hard to read. Not into that hopey-changey stuff eh? :lol:

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

I tried the wide mode and went back to the Prosilver SE style format. For most screens the wide mode just adds a lot of empty space. I am sure it would work better for large images but for most reading I prefer the narrow format. Having a choice is great. As mimi said there is nothing wrong with the two rows of BBCode buttons.
"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

Smithereens

Post by Smithereens »

Just testing that I'm back. This is the last time that I'm updating my email address.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Geez, I almost forgot: Thanks for the active topics link at the bottom of the page Foggy! Now my life is complete!Sekrit Stuffs!
Can we get a puking icon for Christmas? {SMILIES_PATH}/pray.gif

Sugaree

Post by Sugaree »

I wuz logged inta Fogbow and walked away to attend a PIE & ICE CREAM SOCIAL fundraiser --> \ :D / and when I got back, I wuz logged out. This aint never, ever happened at PJ. I chose cherry pie. :xo .I don't think that's a setting in the Admin Control Panel, but lemme look into it. There are a wide variety of support sites. I'm gonna put 'em in a thread, then y'all can help me look for solutions to problems like this.I was always logged out at PJ when I'd follow links or simply go elsewhere and was inactive for a while. That "a while" differed quite a bit (10 minutes to 4 hrs, maybe more), so if that pattern describes what is happening here to people, it may be a setting as I had previously assumed. Or not.

On other issues, I was one who could not log-in, even w/ a temporary password. After my 6th try, the temp worked, so it may have been Firefox changing my PW to the one it stored, first from PJ and when I removed that one and then, well . . . suffice it to say that it was not my PC or browser that was the problem. But I am letting Firefox keep this temp rather than risk choosing my own and having the same problem.

I am also missing 2 postings. With only 35 here (total, not just those in Fogbow threads) and 37 at PJ after 1.5 yrs, I need every one I can get if I am gonna make it to 100 by the end of Obama's second term. So say (most of) we all, at least.

Lastly, Foggy, thanks so very much for all the work you have tirelessly and enthusiastically, ungrumpily done to create this Fogbow haven. It also looks great and is *almost" heaven, not just haven, but I lived in Iowa, so I know. Fwiw, its ruling on marriage equality came as no surprise to me; people there are just inherently fair and decent, common sensical. It is in their DNA. With a few mutants we all know, of course.

PS. I love your sig. Could you be a BSG fan per chance? If so, you shoulda listened to Wifehorn and watched LOST. No way not to love it if also a lover of Sci-fi, virtually unparalleled drama, characterization, writing and acting, along with all the "big questions" or ultimate issues in life.

PPS. Am I supposed to be able to switch to PJ using the Fogbow link w/o relogging in? I think I did it yesterday. If so, it ain't working for me, mebbe cuz I now have different passwords? Sorry if this issue has already been addressed elsewhere.

Highlands

Post by Highlands »

I did some work on the [link]Fogbow home page,http://www.thefogbow.com[/link]. Maybe my "mission statement" will help clarify. The link buttons are still a work in progress. Only three of them work so far. But I made some more progress, and now I have other things to fill my day.Great job! :-bd I always found it sad that the PJ home page was never updated. :?
If you took out all of the blood vessels in your body and lined them up, you would be dead. #science

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

Does anyone else notice that this particular thread doesn't go to the first unread topic when you click the button? All the others seem to work. :-k
"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

listeme

Post by listeme »

Does anyone else notice that this particular thread doesn't go to the first unread topic when you click the button? All the others seem to work. :-kI thought maybe it was because it was a consolidated thread, so the pointer thingabob got confused. But I don't know how stuff works, so I don't even know why I'm suggesting an answer :mrgreen:
We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.

Addie

Post by Addie »

I prefer the widescreen mode, though I do pull it in a bit from the browser corner to the width I like reading at. :-bd listme, check the first few posts in this thread. I had that problem yesterday, but Neon gave advice that fixed it for me.
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

I am also missing 2 postings. With only 35 here (total, not just those in Fogbow threads) and 37 at PJ after 1.5 yrs, I need every one I can get if I am gonna make it to 100 by the end of Obama's second term.The chances are your other two posts were not in the Eligibility forums ... so no, you can't have them back. [-X On the bright side, they're probably safe and sound at PJ, in some forum that I deleted here. With only 37, you could find the two that aren't here pretty quick.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Sugaree

Post by Sugaree »

I am also missing 2 postings. With only 35 here (total, not just those in Fogbow threads) and 37 at PJ after 1.5 yrs, I need every one I can get if I am gonna make it to 100 by the end of Obama's second term.The chances are your other two posts were not in the Eligibility forums ... so no, you can't have them back. [-X On the bright side, they're probably safe and sound at PJ, in some forum that I deleted here. With only 37, you could find the two that aren't here pretty quick.Ok, maybe not grumpy, but needlessly snarky. I would not have mentioned the loss had I been able to find them pretty quick. I looked and compared lists, could not identify them. And, as I wrote, perhaps not very clearly, they *were* in the eligibility forum according to my calculations.In any event, never mind . . . I *was* largely joking, after all, and it was the least important observation, question & attempted contribution in my post. :-({|=ETA: Sekrit Stuffs!
I am admittedly a tad hypersensitive about my lacking contribution; I do not lurk by choice, but rather due to circumstances that will likely be changing within the next few months. One post does not a grumpy make, but if I tried to write more until that time, I'd no doubt qualify.

Plutodog

Post by Plutodog »

Geez, I almost forgot: Thanks for the active topics link at the bottom of the page Foggy! Now my life is complete!Sekrit Stuffs!
Can we get a puking icon for Christmas? {SMILIES_PATH}/pray.gif
I second that emotion AND that emoticon, Wattles! I found out real fast with a blackberry, it's a loooooooong way back to the top. And sometimes it makes me feel kinda pukey getting there!So thanks very much and please very much! :hug: {SMILIES_PATH}/pray.gif
The only good Bundy is an Al Bundy.

Sequoia32

Post by Sequoia32 »

I'm a happy Fogbow camper! Everything works great. :-bd Now all I want is the Paypal button and the Amazon thingy - I'm gonna make an order soon and I'd like it to benefit TFB. :D
So far every case of Ebola in this country got it by helping people. So relax, Republicans, you're in the clear. - Tina Dupuy

DaveMuckey

Post by DaveMuckey »

Just testing that I'm back. This is the last time that I'm updating my email address.Best I can figure, you live at the Portland Zoo.

elliewyatt

Post by elliewyatt »

I am mystified that Parisi v. Sinclair is still on PJ, not Fogbow. Is that cuz it's a suit? I am not sure what the criteria is fer Fogbow, but Sinclair seems to meet the krackpot fringe definition. Was it an oversight or a deliberate choice?

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

Suggestions?OK. How about super admin powers for the elderliest Grumpy People member?

Return to “Announcements”