THE EXTENSIONS ARE FIXED

Foggy
Avatar: Silly engineers have been using 3D printers to make Godzilla arms for chickens.

Re: THE EXTENSIONS ARE FIXED

Post by Foggy »

Sugar Magnolia wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:02 am Is anyone else only getting a half view of shared tweets with videos? Some of them show the whole tweet, some are cut off at the top of the video. If I click on the cut off ones, they play but don't open in a new tab.
That happens to me on occasion, and the solution is to refresh/reload the page.

I hope y'all are still wearing your seat belts!
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

I went back through my posts with embedded Tweets I think the reparse fixed most of the ones I had not gotten around to fixing going back to the last board conversion from IP Board back to phpBB. On the older ones I found that if I edited them to add a space somewhere such as the end and saved it fixed any embedded Tweets. I did not have to use the media button. I few of them got so mangled in the board conversion it was not worth trying to fix.

Next I will look at embedded videos. :smoking:

"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016
Foggy
Avatar: Silly engineers have been using 3D printers to make Godzilla arms for chickens.

Post by Foggy »

Running the reparser requires the board to be disabled.

So I'm going to do that myself on Sunday morning when I do my regular maintenance chores. Tester gave me detailed instructions and I think I can handle it just fine using puTTY just like I did when I was following his instructions to give him better access to the files.

The forum is running like a Swiss watch. Tester did a great job, and my customizations since then have not caused any new problems. I'm holding off on a few more extensions until they get upgraded to run with this version of the software. Other than that, I'm super happy with the functioning of the board right now.

... and I know more about finding errors, thanks to Tester, so I can avoid some problems in the future.

Now I'm ready for the next 9 weeks ... until the election ... :towel:

SLQ

Post by SLQ »

Sugar Magnolia wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:02 am Is anyone else only getting a half view of shared tweets with videos? Some of them show the whole tweet, some are cut off at the top of the video. If I click on the cut off ones, they play but don't open in a new tab.
I've been getting that for about a month, on some (most) videos, so it may not be related to the upgrade. It's super annoying.

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

I went through my posts with a search for "YouTube". I had about 8 pages of hits but not that many to fix. I was able to fix some old ones going back to 2009. Again just editing a post by adding a space somewhere usually did the trick. Some were mangled by the board conversion and were harder to fix. Quite a few videos were no longer available.

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

On embedded Facebook posts I am getting this error:
Cannot load Facebook SDK. Disable any adblocker or tracking protection and try again.
I have disabled Adblocker on the Fogbow and added the site to my Facebook Container exception list on Firefox. Is anyone else seeing this?
Edit: I checked Safari and I am not getting this error so it must be a Firefox issue. I will work on it.

jmj

Post by jmj »

Reality Check wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:24 am ON embedded Facebook posts I am getting this error:
Cannot load Facebook SDK. Disable any adblocker or tracking protection and try again.
I have disabled Adblocker on the Fogbow and added the site to my Facebook Container exception list on Firefox. Is anyone else seeing this?
I also see this, but I'm also using the Facebook container and haven't bothered to try to add any exceptions so I just live with it. My guess is that in order for embedded facebook to work on the fogbow, you have to open the fogbow inside the facebook container. Is that what your'e doing?

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

jmj wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:31 am
I also see this, but I'm also using the Facebook container and haven't bothered to try to add any exceptions so I just live with it. My guess is that in order for embedded facebook to work on the fogbow, you have to open the fogbow inside the facebook container. Is that what your'e doing?
Yes.

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

I'm befuddled on something .. maybe someone here can decipher for me

When I'm viewing the Active Topics list, I get a colored icon next to each thread (normal).
(this is on the CleanSilver style)
Untitled.png
The 'gray' icon is obviously no new posting. But the 'green' and 'blue' icons both mean there are new/unread posts in the thread.

What is the difference between the blue and green colored icons? :think: :confused:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

neonzx wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:04 pm
What is the difference between the blue and green colored icons? :think: :confused:
I believe the green icons are threads in which you have posted replies. Maybe?

Joe Biden: "Wearing masks is not a political statement. It's a scientific imperative."

It’s the pandemic, stupid!
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:17 pm
:winner:

Yes, that seems to be the difference just doing a spot check on the threads. Thanks!

Northland10

Post by Northland10 »

neonzx wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:20 pm
MN-Skeptic wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:17 pm
:winner:

Yes, that seems to be the difference just doing a spot check on the threads. Thanks!
For some themes, instead of a different color, it is a start or dot on the side of the circle icon.

North-land: of the family 10.5

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

On Prosilver the red circles to the left are on topics that have posts I have not read.
Screenshot_2020-09-04 Fogbow - Active topics.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

And the red circles with a star at the 1:00 position are the ones you have posted in.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

I'm not seeing numbers by the posts, which you could click to get a link if you wanted to link to a previous post. Is that an extension?

SLQ

Post by SLQ »

I'm testing the cut off twitter links, so I'll be playing with this. Pay no attention. I'll be editing this to try different things based on googling the problem.

OK, I lied. I posted this directly from a link copied from Orlylicious's post in the "President*" thread, which showed as chopped off. But this isn't chopped. Let me know if it is chopped for you.

-- Yoda
Foggy

Post by Foggy »

pipistrelle wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:27 pm I'm not seeing numbers by the posts, which you could click to get a link if you wanted to link to a previous post. Is that an extension?
Yes, that's an extension.

It's validated through version 3.2.5. Our board (and the phpBB software) is at version 3.3.1.

And a guy asked, is this nice extension compatible with version 3.3?

He was told, believe it or not, "Test it for yourself and tell us if it causes any problems."

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... pic/220511

:shock: :?

That was Aug. 7, and it looks like when the dude tested it on his board it BLEW UP HIS FORUM AND KILLED HIM DEAD INSTANTLY. :eek2:

Or, possibly, it worked fine and he just didn't tell anybody. Or he chickened roostered out and didn't even try it.

I'm awaiting further developments, just to be on the safe side. I may try testing it on my test forum, and if that works ... :thumbs:

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

SLQ wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:59 am I'm testing the cut off twitter links, so I'll be playing with this.
But I gave y'all an answer for that one. REFRESH THE PAGE and the whole tweet will magically appear, as if by magic. :idea:

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

OK, so I did my weekly forum chores: cleared the logs, backed up the database, optimized the database, milked the goats, everything just so.

Then I tried running the reparser according to the instructions Tester left me, and I got a weird response that don't make no sense nohow, so I took a screenshot and I'm sending it to Tester to see what he says. Didn't hurt nothing, but it definitely did NOT go through the entire board making repairs to old BBCodes.

But the board works, so carry on ... :blink:

Northland10

Post by Northland10 »

pipistrelle wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:27 pm I'm not seeing numbers by the posts, which you could click to get a link if you wanted to link to a previous post. Is that an extension?
You can right click (or tap and hold on some devices) on the topic subject (i.e. the title at the top of the post) to get the link to to that post. It also works on that tiny page icon right below the title, on the left.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Northland10 wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:19 am
You can right click (or tap and hold on some devices) on the topic subject (i.e. the title at the top of the post) to get the link to to that post. It also works on that tiny page icon right below the title, on the left.
I had tried that on iPad but couldn't get it to work. It was then I noticed the #s were missing and figured that was one of those outdated extensions.

Northland10

Post by Northland10 »

pipistrelle wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:21 am
Northland10 wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:19 am
I had tried that on iPad but couldn't get it to work. It was then I noticed the #s were missing and figured that was one of those outdated extensions.
Yeah, I just tried it on my old iPad. I had to press and hold and select open in new tab. I then had to copy the URL from that tab back to this one. Rather clunky.

The result.
https://thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 8#p1212498

Since my commute is only 10 feet now and doesn't contain a train ride, I use my iPad much, much less so I forgot about the visible number.

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

pipistrelle wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:21 am :snippity:
It works on my iPad. I just press and hold on the title or the small square then select copy.

Like this https://thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 6#p1212506

SLQ

Post by SLQ »

Foggy wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:10 am
SLQ wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:59 am I'm testing the cut off twitter links, so I'll be playing with this.
But I gave y'all an answer for that one. REFRESH THE PAGE and the whole tweet will magically appear, as if by magic. :idea:
Oh, thanks! I must have missed that. :bag:

-- Yoda
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Foggy wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:10 am
Re the loading of Twitter or Facebook, there must have been a change recently that makes the browser load these sites really slow. I don't think it's phpBB but the extension itself, how it encodes the loading in the browser. It's so slow that for twitter I click on the "Loading..." link and read on Twitter, sometimes when I return the content has shown up too. Facebook just shows blank and if i am really interested I quote the message to pick and follow the link from the source text.

Yeah - :pickle:

PS. Chrome browser on Android generally doesn't load the stuff.

Return to “Announcements”