THE EXTENSIONS ARE FIXED

RTH10260

Re: FIXING THE EXTENSIONS (thread title edited)

Post by RTH10260 »

Maybenaut wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:09 pm I'm NOT complaining... but... I got a new computer. Now I'm having the have-to-log-in-every-time problem. I tried deleting the cookies. No joy.

It's not that big a deal, because all I have to do is click on my username and it autofills, so it's just an extra two clicks. Just curious if there's a recommended fix, though.
Sounds to me that the default setting for your browser is to block all cookies (clear them when browser closes). Better option is to allow site cookies but block third party cookies. Just a hunch.
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Thanks! I’ll check that :)
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Maybenaut wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:09 pm I'm NOT complaining... but... I got a new computer. Now I'm having the have-to-log-in-every-time problem. I tried deleting the cookies. No joy.

It's not that big a deal, because all I have to do is click on my username and it autofills, so it's just an extra two clicks. Just curious if there's a recommended fix, though.
I had that same problem for days on end. It was annoying. Then, one of the posts (I forget which one) mentioned something about using the secure https:// instead of just http:, which I think my "favorite" is saved as. So, I signed into https://thefogbow.com/forum and I haven't had to sign in again ever since! Yay! Maybe that will work for you, too.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Thanks, RV! That worked!!
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson
Somerset

Post by Somerset »

That seems to have just worked for me as well, but I'm still wondering about what is the difference between clicking on the link, which worked, and manually altering the URL to https://, which did not. Curious.

Regardless, I shouldn't have to log in every time from here on :dance: :thumbs:
Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

Somerset wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:13 pm That seems to have just worked for me as well, but I'm still wondering about what is the difference between clicking on the link, which worked, and manually altering the URL to https://, which did not. Curious.

The link before the upgrade was http. After, it was https. I had to replace my bookmarks with the new one or it was asking me to log in every time also.
Somerset

Post by Somerset »

Sugar Magnolia wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:23 pm
Somerset wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:13 pm That seems to have just worked for me as well, but I'm still wondering about what is the difference between clicking on the link, which worked, and manually altering the URL to https://, which did not. Curious.

The link before the upgrade was http. After, it was https. I had to replace my bookmarks with the new one or it was asking me to log in every time also.
Yes. I tried manually adding the "s," but for some reason that kept giving me a error, "The server stopped responding." I'm not sure why clicking a link with the same syntax worked, but I'm not going to argue ;)
Foggy
Avatar: Silly engineers have been using 3D printers to make Godzilla arms for chickens.

Post by Foggy »

So I found a guy on the phpBB website who has a signature that says "Hire me to fix your phpBB forum" and I sent him 3 PMs. I know he received them, but he hasn't responded. In the last one, I said "Can you recommend someone if you don't want the job?"

No answer. :madguy:

Moving on ... :doh:
I hope y'all are still wearing your seat belts!
Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

RVInit wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:18 pm

I had that same problem for days on end. It was annoying. Then, one of the posts (I forget which one) mentioned something about using the secure https:// instead of just http:, which I think my "favorite" is saved as. So, I signed into https://thefogbow.com/forum and I haven't had to sign in again ever since! Yay! Maybe that will work for you, too.
Worked for me too! Thanks! :thumbs:
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Addie

Post by Addie »

ETA to note this morning that I now see blank posts from MN-Skeptic. Using the quote button at one post, I see:
MN-Skeptic wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:17 am
Since I don't use social media myself, it's not so tragic that I see blank posts, but I think people should know if they are shooting blanks. And Foggy, also too. This is now more than one person, it can only get to be more of a serious problem, unless it's fixed. So, anyone else seeing blank posts should speak up.
Addie wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:27 pm I haven't seen this mentioned. Maybe I'm noticing it more because Dr. Kenn's avatar looks so much like my first husband when he came back from Vietnam :blink:. But when Dr. Kenn is posting from social media, whether Twitter, Facebook or whatever, the post is coming up blank. It's happened many times recently. I'm sure Dr. Kenn doesn't know it's happening.
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver
Foggy
Avatar: Silly engineers have been using 3D printers to make Godzilla arms for chickens.

Post by Foggy »

But I can see the tweet embedded in MN-Skeptic's post (quoted in your post)!

That is truly weird, is it happening to other people? :confused:
Estiveo

Post by Estiveo »

Nope. I can see all the posts that Addie cain't.
Image Image Image Image Image
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

Estiveo wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:35 am Nope. I can see all the posts that Addie cain't.
Me too, also.
"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016
Addie

Post by Addie »

That's good. I can stop worrying about it. Thanks all. :bighug:
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver
Addie

Post by Addie »

Test
Addie

Post by Addie »

Yay. This is the first time I've successfully posted all morning.
Addie wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:38 pmTest
Northland10

Post by Northland10 »

Addie wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:40 pm Yay. This is the first time I've successfully posted all morning.
Sorry, still not working. I can't see your post. :mrgreen:
North-land: of the family 10.5

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

Addie wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:40 pm Yay. This is the first time I've successfully posted all morning.
I haven't followed your issue with viewing embedded Tweets closely but when I have similar problems the first thing I do is try another browser. I use Firefox and a few times when I have had issues with a web site I have tried opening the same site in Chrome or Edge and that fixed it. For one thing the other browsers are usually at default settings without extensions installed. I have also noticed that on my slow satellite connection embedded Tweets can take a little while to load.

I assume you are opening Fogbow using the secure version (https:) of the Fogbow as others have discussed. Also if you are running something like Ad Blocker you might try turning it off on the Fogbow domain. I think back before the media extension broke I was having trouble seeing embedded Facebook posts. I figured it might have something to do with the Facebook Container extension that Firefox has now. When Foggy fixes the extensions I will see whether embedded Facebook posts display.

Good luck. I know things like that can drive you crazy.

Grumpy Old Guy

Post by Grumpy Old Guy »

Thanks for your post Reality, I was using the non secure version on my iPad, but just switched.
jmj

Post by jmj »

Reality Check wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:19 pm
I haven't followed your issue with viewing embedded Tweets closely but when I have similar problems the first thing I do is try another browser. I use Firefox and a few times when I have had issues with a web site I have tried opening the same site in Chrome or Edge and that fixed it. For one thing the other browsers are usually at default settings without extensions installed. I have also noticed that on my slow satellite connection embedded Tweets can take a little while to load.

I assume you are opening Fogbow using the secure version (https:) of the Fogbow as others have discussed. Also if you are running something like Ad Blocker you might try turning it off on the Fogbow domain. I think back before the media extension broke I was having trouble seeing embedded Facebook posts. I figured it might have something to do with the Facebook Container extension that Firefox has now. When Foggy fixes the extensions I will see whether embedded Facebook posts display.

Good luck. I know things like that can drive you crazy.
If you're using a browser with the "Do not track" privacy setting enabled, I've found that it sometimes blocks things like social media content embedded on other sites. So perhaps that's a possibility?
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

jmj wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:33 pm :snippity:
If you're using a browser with the "Do not track" privacy setting enabled, I've found that it sometimes blocks things like social media content embedded on other sites. So perhaps that's a possibility?
You might be on to something jmj. I tried changing the setting on tracking in Firefox from "standard" to "strict" and embedded tweets will not display.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Ah. Ye Olde Stepping on your own Toes trick.
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

In Firefox to change this setting click on the "hamburger" then Options>Privacy and Security. It's under the Enhanced Tracking Protection section.

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

Good news, I found a guy - a guy on the official phpBB support team - who will work on fixing the issues for $45/hour, which is pretty reasonable, IMHO.

I'll give him all the access he needs and I think he's going to work on it mañana. :thumbs:
Frater I*I

Post by Frater I*I »

Foggy wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:35 pm Good news, I found a guy - a guy on the official phpBB support team - who will work on fixing the issues for $45/hour, which is pretty reasonable, IMHO.

I'll give him all the access he needs and I think he's going to work on it mañana. :thumbs:
Just pay him off with a promissory note that links to your treasury direct account....Heather Tutti-Frutti can help you arrange it... :blink:
Gazer Into the SovCit Abyss

Return to “Announcements”