▼▲Houston, we have a problem ...

Foggy

Re: ▼▲Houston, we have a problem ...

Post by Foggy »

The worst thing about them was, I paid a couple hundred bucks a year for support, and they gave shitty support. They'd respond to a request for help in 24 hours, and they often didn't know enough to give competent help. The phpBB folks cost nothing, they always respond within a couple of hours - even on Sunday - and they are experts.

Like today, the guy poked around and found problems I didn't even know I had. I'm not happy about having those problems, but I'm super impressed that he found them and told me about them. They do a great job, and they really want people's forums to work well.

So don't worry, we're never going back to Invision Power. They suck.
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

Foggy wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:17 pm
:snippity:
So don't worry, we're never going back to Invision Power. They suck.
I figured the chances of that happening are less than the chances of the Orange Turd uttering a cogent thought. :lol:

Good luck on the upgrade. We appreciate everything you duz.
"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

^^ What RC said.

As long as this doesn't last through Friday, because everybody gets excited for updates on you-know-who! It would be chaos if Fogbowzers don't get their update on The Fogbow's Favorite Show™. Maybe mention that to phpBB, they are probably huge fans too also. 8-)
#Birther #Grifter #Liar Mike Zullo is Too Hot For TV! And hey, don't miss The Fogbow's Favorite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: From Not To Hot -- Family Crisis!" New Season in March on weTV!

scirreeve

Post by scirreeve »

Thanks Foggy! I didn't even notice cuz I spent my day sliding down a volcano.

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

UPDATE:

I took the board offline again this morning and made complete backups of everything.

I was working with a support guy who told me to hold off on trying to reinstall the entire board until we tried a couple of things to try to isolate the problem. The thing is, the Media Embed extension is one of the Official phpBB extensions, it's supposed to work on the new upgrade release, and it is working for everybody else.

But I have isolated it, and it's definitely the extension that breaks the board if I have it enabled.

Anyway, my support guy had to take a break, and I have Dances With Barbells at 9 a.m. for an hour, home sometime before 11 a.m.

When I get back, I'll see if I have any new instructions of things to try. But meanwhile, I thought I would open up the board so people can use it. Please note, I'm not going to make another backup of all 40K files again today, and that means if you upload any graphics or pdfs to my server, they could possibly be lost when I reinstall the entire board, if I have to do that. Your posts are in the database and I can make a new backup of that in a few minutes, so feel free to post links and so forth ... but to backup all the files takes more than an hour.

Get back to it soonest. :towel:

(Fogbow on PayPal)

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

:bighug:
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

I got some more suggestions from the support team, but today is the Richmond Boogaloo and I won't disable the forum until it's over. Which means mañana, early in the morning.

I apologize for the delay in getting YouTubes and tweets to work again, but links to Twitter and YouTube work, so there's no emergency. It's an important news day (so much so that MLKJr Day seems to be almost forgotten), so I won't disrupt our following along. :blink:

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Foggy wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:37 pm
I got some more suggestions from the support team, but today is the Richmond Boogaloo and I won't disable the forum until it's over. Which means mañana, early in the morning.

I apologize for the delay in getting YouTubes and tweets to work again, but links to Twitter and YouTube work, so there's no emergency. It's an important news day (so much so that MLKJr Day seems to be almost forgotten), so I won't disrupt our following along. :blink:
:thumbs:
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

:pray:
ABBC3_SPOILER_SHOW

SuedeNsteel

Post by SuedeNsteel »

I noticed that at the bottom of the page where it says who is online, there are over 400 folks, some of them bots. Also says the greatest number ever was yesterday. Are you being messed with by bad guys? (Also the emojis don't work lol)
"When wealth is passed off as merit, bad luck is seen as bad character. This is how ideologues justify punishing the sick and the poor...Stigmatize those who let people die, not those who struggle to live." --- Sarah Kendzior

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

I think those numbers are legit. Don't know if anyone is trying to hack us.

They won't be able to do it.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo »

It's tons of people checking for the latest Honey Boo Boo news.
Image Image Image Image Image

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

:like:

Especially after Mama June hocked that ring. They know the end is near, and the headlines will be juicy. Go-go juicy. :thumbs:

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

UPDATE:

OK, I got the Media Embed extension working. But now the Advanced BBCodes extension isn't working.

I enabled the board, today is the beginning of impeachment, but you don't have all the cool BBCodes ... yet.

Still working on it.

Edit: I updated the American English package to the latest and greatest.
Edit: Today is the start of the impeachment. I won't disable the board again today. Still talking to support.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

Really appreciate all the work.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

AndyinPA wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:59 am

:yeah:
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Somerset

Post by Somerset »

Volkonski wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:39 am
AndyinPA wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:59 am

:yeah:
Yes, really appreciate it Foggy :)

(FWIW, I kinda liked the absence of "live-linking" to Twitter and YouTube. I hate it when the page jumps up and down as they're loading).

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Foggy, you are the bestest board runner ever! :bighug: Your dedication and willingness to roll up your sleeves and get everything working again after updates is really appreciated.

And thanks to all the Admins, who, thanks to the vast majority of users, hardly ever have to "do" anything as far as stepping in and asking people to put a lid on it. We are a great community and, I'm sure I speak for most if not all of us, Foggy's hard work is much appreciated.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:clap:
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.
- https://legaldictionary.net/19th-amendment/

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

+1

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

RVInit wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:37 pm
Foggy, you are the bestest board runner ever! :bighug: Your dedication and willingness to roll up your sleeves and get everything working again after updates is really appreciated.

And thanks to all the Admins, who, thanks to the vast majority of users, hardly ever have to "do" anything as far as stepping in and asking people to put a lid on it. We are a great community and, I'm sure I speak for most if not all of us, Foggy's hard work is much appreciated.
👍

bob

Post by bob »

I found a glitch.

When using the highlight function, it now creates a bracket without a definition. I.e., the first bracket says "highlight=" but the program is looking for a value for the color of the highlight, such as "highlight=#FFFF00" (to highlight in yellow, for example). Perhaps a default value can be added?
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

bob wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:02 pm
I found a glitch.

When using the highlight function, it now creates a bracket without a definition. I.e., the first bracket says "highlight=" but the program is looking for a value for the color of the highlight, such as "highlight=#FFFF00" (to highlight in yellow, for example). Perhaps a default value can be added?
I had the same issue.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

I plan to fix the whole extension. Mañana, or however long it takes. It's making me cranky. Look what I just did! I banned Hurtzi for being an anti-Semitic asshole. He's been an asshole for a long time, but I put up with it because I'm a sweetheart.

But I'm cranky because my forum is messed up, and I won't tolerate anti-Semitism on a good day.

I'll feel better when I get the forum working flawlessly again. But Hurtzi will still be gone. :blink:

And you can just write "highlight=yellow" without the hexadecimal code for the color. :towel:

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Addie

Post by Addie »

I love you :-D
Foggy wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:50 pm

I'll feel better when I get the forum working flawlessly again. But Hurtzi will still be gone. :blink:

Return to “Announcements”