Official Fogbow Meetup - Oct. 11th TO 13th - Myrtle Beach, SC

Foggy

Official Fogbow Meetup - Oct. 11th TO 13th - Myrtle Beach, SC

Post by Foggy » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:31 am

We're planning another in-person meetup this year!
OCTOBER 11TH TO 13TH ,
MYRTLE BEACH,
SOUTH CAROLINA!
This will be our Eleventeenth Annual Meetup, starting way back in Phoenix in 2010. We've had meetups all across this great land of ours, and they've all been fantastic, magical, wonderful experiences, so ...

YOU DON'T WANT TO MISS THIS ONE!
They say that on his deathbed, Voltaire, asked to renounce the devil, said, "This is no time to be making new enemies."

kate520

Re: WHAT IS MORE FUN THAN MAKING MUDPIES? (Hint: a Fogbow Meetup)

Post by kate520 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:31 pm

Trust us, you don’t want to miss it. After, you’ll want to buy a small town and move everyone you just “met” there.

I’m planning to be there, but I have another big trip or two coming up in the summer and we just moved. Finances are a bit precarious right now. Could be different in a month or two.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:53 pm

Darn. I've always wanted to attend a meetup, but my mom lives with me, she has dementia, and I can't travel as long as I'm caring for her.
:crying: :crying: :crying:
What hurts most, though, is that my sister, who cares for mom while I'm at work, does get to travel and I get to make other arrangements for care coverage while she's gone. And she's traveled to Myrtle Beach twice in the past two years.

Some day, I'll make it to a meetup!
I've heard this bull before.

HilltownGrrl
Occupation: Researcher (for a non-fiction author); local child-wrangler; thread killer; piler of things on other things

Post by HilltownGrrl » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:32 pm

I'm new at this (meet ups) so I haz questions. How does this work? Is there a list of hotels & restaurants somewhere? Does everyone tend to stay in one or two places? Are there events or dinners or whatever planned? Help?!

I have no clue if Mr Hilltown & I can make it but I'd love it if we could (I'd love it even more if it were Right Now because it's winter in New England & it snowed two days in a row & I'm ready for it to be over already).

ETA - Mr Hilltown has a gig in Somerville on the 27th so we'll be there instead. I am suffering a serious sad. :crying: :crying: :crying:

Azastan

Post by Azastan » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:50 pm

Going anywhere that doesn't have snow sounds good right now.

I will have to see if I can find someone to babysit the horses!

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:00 pm

HilltownGrrl wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:32 pm
I'm new at this (meet ups) so I haz questions. How does this work? Is there a list of hotels & restaurants somewhere? Does everyone tend to stay in one or two places? Are there events or dinners or whatever planned? Help?!

I have no clue if Mr Hilltown & I can make it but I'd love it if we could (I'd love it even more if it were Right Now because it's winter in New England & it snowed two days in a row & I'm ready for it to be over already).

ETA - Mr Hilltown has a gig in Somerville on the 27th so we'll be there instead. I am suffering a serious sad. :crying: :crying: :crying:
Sometimes we rent a big ol’ Airbnb and split the cost.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:11 pm

HilltownGrrl wrote:

Usually:

1. Foogey negotiates a deal with a hotel. In Myrtle Beach 1 it was right on the beach.
2. There’s usually a Meet and Greet Friday night, possibly with dinner. Or people go off in smaller groups to local restaurants. It’s less organized because some people come in on later flights, etc.
3. Breakfast is often either at the hotel or a local Denny’s where we indict people and plot to overthrow something.
4. On Saturday, we sits and chats, sometimes we go shopping, sometimes there’s museums or mani-pedis or hiking or stuff.
We generally have a big dinner party with everyone Saturday night. Then chatting until the wee hours, often with guitar playing and singing in one room, politics in another. Sometimes there’s a suite. Hot tubs have been involved before.
5. Sunday is a big group breakfast if we can figure out where. Then everyone tearfully flies away and ends up moving near each other.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Somerset

Post by Somerset » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:31 pm

Whatever4 wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:11 pm
HilltownGrrl wrote:

Usually:

1. Foogey negotiates a deal with a hotel. In Myrtle Beach 1 it was right on the beach.
2. There’s usually a Meet and Greet Friday night, possibly with dinner. Or people go off in smaller groups to local restaurants. It’s less organized because some people come in on later flights, etc.
3. Breakfast is often either at the hotel or a local Denny’s where we indict people and plot to overthrow something.
4. On Saturday, we sits and chats, sometimes we go shopping, sometimes there’s museums or mani-pedis or hiking or stuff.
We generally have a big dinner party with everyone Saturday night. Then chatting until the wee hours, often with guitar playing and singing in one room, politics in another. Sometimes there’s a suite. Hot tubs have been involved before.
5. Sunday is a big group breakfast if we can figure out where. Then everyone tearfully flies away and ends up moving near each other.
Sounds like fun :)

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:34 pm

That sounds like FUN!!!!!!!
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: Helen Keller supported women’s suffrage and was a co-founder of the American Civil Liberties Union.

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:58 pm

Sorry that I won't be able to attend. Have fun. Keep the rest of us updated on the plans (whatever they are)

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:00 pm

That sounds like fun. I'd love to attend one sometime, but we will be on our way to New Mexico on Amtrak to visit friends. Darn.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:17 pm

:crying: :crying: :crying:
The ONE weekend (well, 2 actually) of the entire year that I have permanent, standing plans, and you plan a meet-up!

For future reference when planning, Jazzfest is always the last weekend in Apr and the first weekend in May. Just in case, ya know.....

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:08 pm

I may make it, we'll see.

Also too, in the future I'd love to invite you all to the home of The Well Armed Bunker Complex (East) in Gettysburg (we had a big fight here once, too), lot of good hotels, stuff to do and at least one of the 5 best pizza places in the Western Hemisphere. Several good bars a very very good craft brewery and even some Ghosts if you're into that kind of thing.
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:19 pm

Gregg wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:08 pm

Also too, in the future I'd love to invite you all to the home of The Well Armed Bunker Complex (East) in Gettysburg (we had a big fight here once, too), lot of good hotels, stuff to do and at least one of the 5 best pizza places in the Western Hemisphere. Several good bars a very very good craft brewery and even some Ghosts if you're into that kind of thing.
:waiting:
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: Helen Keller supported women’s suffrage and was a co-founder of the American Civil Liberties Union.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:46 pm

Gregg wrote:

We love Gettysburg, and it's only a few hours away. We'd be up for that, for sure. :-D

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:27 pm

AndyinPA wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:00 pm
That sounds like fun. I'd love to attend one sometime, but we will be on our way to New Mexico on Amtrak to visit friends. Darn.
Amtrak is awesome! PA to Chicago to Albuquerque? Or the southern route? Have you done a long distance train trip before? I iz a pro.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

ObjectiveDoubter

Post by ObjectiveDoubter » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:14 pm

I am so sad. I love our meet ups, but I have a Bat Mitzvah that Saturday, one that I cannot miss for all sorts of family/political reasons. I'd even gotten precious Saturday night Dodger tickets for that weekend, before we got the "Save the Date" postcard, and I had to give those up which killed me. But this is bigger. It breaks my heart. :crying: :crying: :crying:

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:23 pm

I haven't made one since the one Stern hosted. Don't think this will be an exception to my streak of missing events - what with bouncing back and forth between US and UK several times a year, most of my travel budget is pretty locked in. And (shockingly) it turns out that a PhD involves a metric shitton of work, and most of my available time off is going to go to the biannual military-driven relocation this summer. (Too, also, I'm not sure which continent I'm gonna be on that weekend.)
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

HilltownGrrl
Occupation: Researcher (for a non-fiction author); local child-wrangler; thread killer; piler of things on other things

Post by HilltownGrrl » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:26 pm

Whatever4 wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:11 pm
HilltownGrrl wrote:

Usually:

Thank you so much for all the info, Whatever4 - that sounds fabulous. And now I'm even sadder that I can't go. :brokenheart:

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:29 pm

I’m in!
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:03 pm

I am in too! I was supposed to go to Amsterdam, but that fell through. Now I can make mudpies on the beach! :thumbs:

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:47 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:03 pm
I am in too! I was supposed to go to Amsterdam, but that fell through. Now I can make mudpies on the beach! :thumbs:
TRL!!! I’m so excited to meet you!!!

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:52 pm

I’m sad I’m missing the grand jury indictment thingie at Denny’s. I never get to be on the jury.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:01 pm

AndyinPA wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:46 pm
Gregg wrote:

We love Gettysburg, and it's only a few hours away. We'd be up for that, for sure. :-D
I’m only an hour away, even by the twistiest motorcycle country roads. 8-)
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

qbawl

Post by qbawl » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:10 pm

pipistrelle wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:52 pm
I’m sad I’m missing the grand jury indictment thingie at Denny’s. I never get to be on the jury.
I'm wondering if it would be possible to set up a FaceTime or Skype type of conference call so that those of us who can't physically be present at Denny's for the indictments can at least participate vicariously via the intertoobs in this vital function of Democracy, jurisprudence, and fellowship? Foggy?

Return to “Announcements”