Fogbow is under attack by Russians too also ...

Foggy

Fogbow is under attack by Russians too also ...

Post by Foggy » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:47 am

... in that there has been a noticeable uptick in registered users, active and inactive, using Russian email addresses.

This morning (as you know, I get up at 4:30 a.m. Eastern every Sunday morning of my so-called life, turn off the board at 5:00 sharp, and do a lot of maintenance tasks, like purge logs, purge inactive users, repair and optimize the database (we got a monster database now), and maybe even upgrade the software, if'n there's a new release.

Usually there are 5 to 15 inactive users who register each week. This week there were more than 120. In a week. :shock:

And 90% or more of them registered with an email address that ends with "@mail.ru". RU, of course, meaning Russia. They like to use @outlook.com too, for some reason.

Now, the reason they're inactive is that -- as each of you personally experienced -- when you register here, the board sends you an activation email and you have to click a link in that email to activate your membership. But if you register using a fake email address, then -- this is not rocket surgery -- the board is going to send the activation link to the fake email address, which makes it difficult to activate your membership. Otherwise we'd have 120+ new members this week, all of them Russians.

I'm going to fiddle with the anti-spammer features of the software this week. I could turn registration off, but look at all the wonderful Quatloosians who have joined in the past few weeks. I don't want to poach from Quatloos, but I'm proud that we're safe harbor in a storm. Quatloos has been doing this long before we were, peeps. Those folks rock. So I don't want to make registration difficult or impossible.

I could set registration so I have to personally approve each new member before they join, but that means a lot of extra work for me, and if I happen to have a bizzy day or two it leads to confusion and delay (Thomas the Tank Engine reference) for the legitimate new folks who try to join. Imagine you join Fogbow and it takes 2 days to be approved. I'm bad enough at approving new posts for new legitimate active members.

Of course, I am still paying for the top shelf anti-hacking people to guard and protect this site. I have Fogbow on a completely separate hosting account from my other websites now, so I only pay for SiteLock on this site. So it's going to be really, really difficult to hack us now. Thank you for your contributions (button up top of this page) that help pay for the top shelf service. :blink:

However, hackers be hackers. If for any reason, Fogbow goes down, here are some places I'll post updates while I'm working to restore us to normalcy (<-- haha, he said normalcy :lol: ):

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/william.l.bryan.jr
Twitter: https://twitter.com/wlbryan
... and maybe even Quatloos, if'n I remember.

For now, it's all good, this is just informational. But I can see the Rooskies tryin' to disrupt us, if'n they have a hankerin'.

More will be revealed ...

Hopefully, this will blossom into a snowball.
WWG1WGA

ZekeB

Re: Fogbow is under attack by Russians too also ...

Post by ZekeB » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:57 am

Does Mueller know?

Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:12 am

Oh sure, I talk to him every day ... :liar:

WWG1WGA

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:28 am

Now that I looked closer, it develops that literally hundreds of Russians have also managed to become registered members this month alone. They's gonna be a purge on their tiny little headbones. :madguy:

WWG1WGA

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:27 am

Foggy wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:12 am
Oh sure, I talk to him every day ... :liar:
I bet you all have some good laughs over Fitzfundfilcher's antics. :thumbs:

"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:33 am

I've sent a few (trusted) friends here over the past few weeks. I suggested they lurk initially to try it out. If they decide to register, I could ask them to let me know and I could PM you. Would that be more or less work for you?

I pick my avatar to the holiday but now can't bear to look at puppy w/his flag. This is more appropriate.
ImageImageImage x4

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:55 am

No, I am NOT disabling registration. If they give a valid email address and answer the new security question (it's easy unless you're a bot), then you will get an activation email from the board and all you have to do is click the link.

I'm doing mass deletions of troll/spam accounts, and if I accidentally zap somebody who didn't deserve that cruel fate, then lemme know about it and I will fix.

WWG1WGA

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:57 am

But tell your friends not to register with an email address that ends with @mail.ru. :mrgreen:

WWG1WGA

Hercule Parrot

Post by Hercule Parrot » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:13 am

Foggy wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:47 am
... Usually there are 5 to 15 inactive users who register each week. This week there were more than 120. In a week. :shock:

And 90% or more of them registered with an email address that ends with "@mail.ru". RU, of course, meaning Russia. They like to use @outlook.com too, for some reason.
FFS, how blatant are these people? It's like they they know that *president Trump's America is their playground.

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:10 am

I'm going to re-up a suggestion that appears above: Donate if you can.

Lots of us spend hours every week day chatting with our Fogbow pals about often esoteric topics of interest; we're I'm dependent on the IAALs here for explaining what's what in the courtroom or in a document; I'm beholden to so many Fogbowzers for insights/information/analysis/humor on so many different subjects. On The Fogbow, our freaky obsessions eccentricities may be acknowledged, but they are never disparaged. Not to mention: Since November 8, 2016, The Fogbow has often been our online Shelter from the Shitstorm.

Thanks, Foggy! :bighug:

June bug

Post by June bug » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:27 am

NMgirl wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:10 am
I'm going to re-up a suggestion that appears above: Donate if you can.

Lots of us spend hours every week day chatting with our Fogbow pals about often esoteric topics of interest; we're I'm dependent on the IAALs here for explaining what's what in the courtroom or in a document; I'm beholden to so many Fogbowzers for insights/information/analysis/humor on so many different subjects. On The Fogbow, our freaky obsessions eccentricities may be acknowledged, but they are never disparaged. Not to mention: Since November 8, 2016, The Fogbow has often been our online Shelter from the Shitstorm.

Thanks, Foggy! :bighug:
:thumbs: :like: :thumbs:

GlimDropper

Post by GlimDropper » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:55 am

vBulletin has a pretty active plugin community and of course problems like this are going to generate an assortment of addons and such. The simplest and while not perfect, impressively effective one simply implemented a timer to the signup process. You could adjust the time variable but the system would automatically block any registration attempts that took less than say, 12 seconds to complete start to finish. Almost no humans would fill everything out and hit submit in less time than that while few bots would take even that long.

I wonder if phpBB has something similar.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:17 am

Those dirty Russians!!!!!! :madguy: :madguy: :madguy: :madguy:

Let's see, the USA's biggest imports from Russia are petroleum products and Bauxite (aluminum ore).

https://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/st ... c4621.html

:think:

Hey, the Trump administration is working to greatly reduce US petroleum and aluminum imports. :thumbs:

Please proceed Mr. Trump. ;)

Sadly, only 6.8% of Russia's imports come from the USA. We have a limited ability to cut them off from US products. :(

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:52 am

I guess the good news is...Foggy's Bow is important enough to infiltrate.

I pick my avatar to the holiday but now can't bear to look at puppy w/his flag. This is more appropriate.
ImageImageImage x4

Fiona

Post by Fiona » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:53 am

Granted that my first cup of coffee is still full, I can’t see the donate buttton.
I’d be happy to contribute. Don’t get too excited there, Rooster, sorry to say it won’t be much.

:bag: Disregard...I see it now.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:55 am

Foggy wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:57 am
But tell your friends not to register with an email address that ends with @mail.ru. :mrgreen:
Don't blacklist that domain, it now works like a honey pot to easily detect the trolls. If you deny them those addresses they may disperse over a multitude and be more difficult to detect. Of course details as last logged-in can be a hint too. Maybe cleaning out long never revisited accounts with no posts may prevent some planned spam attack in the future.

Fiona

Post by Fiona » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:59 am

RTH10260 wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:55 am
Foggy wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:57 am
Don't blacklist that domain, it now works like a honey pot to easily detect the trolls. If you deny them those addresses they may disperse over a multitude and be more difficult to detect. Of course details as last logged-in can be a hint too. Maybe cleaning out long never revisited accounts with no posts may prevent some planned spam attack in the future.
:yeah:

gupwalla

Post by gupwalla » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:44 pm

Have no fear, everyone - I have just purchased a new box of ballpoint pens and I am prepared to riddle the intruders with bons mots and the occasional bit of logic (or is that supposed to go the other way 'round?) until they wave their tighty whiteys and beg for a few moments of cease fire so they can clear the field of their wounded.

In preparation, though, it might make sense to augment FEMA 7.5 with a proper Geneva-qualified POW facility.

In a wilderness of mirrors, what will the spider do beyond the circuit of the shuddering Bear in fractured atoms? -TS Eliot (somewhat modified)

All warfare is based on deception. - Sun Tzu

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:46 pm

gupwalla wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:44 pm
Have no fear, everyone - I have just purchased a new box of ballpoint pens and I am prepared to riddle the intruders with bons mots and the occasional bit of logic (or is that supposed to go the other way 'round?) until they wave their tighty whiteys and beg for a few moments of cease fire so they can clear the field of their wounded.

In preparation, though, it might make sense to augment FEMA 7.5 with a proper Geneva-qualified POW facility.
A preliminar edition of the Trump Wall ought to be coming to the market real soon now ;)

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:56 pm

My apolitical, innocuous, bland Instagram account is followed by an inordinate number of Russian accounts. I don't get it.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:59 pm

pipistrelle wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:56 pm
My apolitical, innocuous, bland Instagram account is followed by an inordinate number of Russian accounts. I don't get it.
Trying to gain street cred?

ImageImageImage x4

Northland10

Post by Northland10 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:07 pm

pipistrelle wrote:
Even in the 1990s, some of the large spammers were from Russia. I don't know if that stems from the Russia mafia or if there were folks who were basking in post-Soviet freedoms.

North-land: of the family 10
UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:32 pm

Slim Cognito wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:59 pm
pipistrelle wrote:
Trying to gain street cred?
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

Those who follow Bundy Ranch FB and several other Poot FB accounts will have noticed that there have been many links to RT in the past couple of years (I don't know about before that). I even saw some RT citations on Mikey's FB account in Poot comments.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun May 27, 2018 8:48 am

More than 175 Russian bots registered on Fogbow in the past week. I performed a mass extermination this morning. I thought I had a clever question that a bot couldn't answer - Name a bird with all black feathers. (you could answer crow, raven, or blackbird)

That worked for 3 months, but some Russkie musta programmed the bots with the answer. So now we're back to no registration without approval from the administrator.

... and already 5 more bots have tried to join in the past 4 hours.

Make that 6. :bored:

WWG1WGA

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Sun May 27, 2018 8:54 am

Someone testing out their phpBB auto register script.

Return to “Announcements”