"Your connection to this site is not secure ..."

Foggy

"Your connection to this site is not secure ..."

Post #1 by Foggy » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:30 am

If you see this message during your frolics and gambols on Fogbow, there's a reason for it: We don't collect any sensitive personal information about you, except what you choose to make public.

You can't use a credit card here. Nobody asks for your Social Security Number. If you want to tell us your birthday and get lots of silly birthday wishes, that's your choice.*

You use a password, but your password is already encrypted and can't be hacked. If it ever is, email me at foggy@thefogbow.com. For the record, I can change passwords but I can't read them. They're encrypted. So are private messages.

I'm converting some of my websites to have SSL certificates and use https:// instead of http://. But there's no reason to do that here.

If I'm wrong about that, some smarter person than me should tell me why.

A yoctosecond is a septillionth of a second (10-24).

RTH10260

Re: "Your connection to this site is not secure ..."

Post #2 by RTH10260 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:13 am

Foggy wrote:If you see this message during your frolics and gambols on Fogbow, there's a reason for it: We don't collect any sensitive personal information about you, except what you choose to make public.

You can't use a credit card here. Nobody asks for your Social Security Number. If you want to tell us your birthday and get lots of silly birthday wishes, that's your choice.*

You use a password, but your password is already encrypted and can't be hacked. If it ever is, email me at foggy@thefogbow.com. For the record, I can change passwords but I can't read them. They're encrypted. So are private messages.

I'm converting some of my websites to have SSL certificates and use https:// instead of http://.But there's no reason to do that here.

If I'm wrong about that, some smarter person than me should tell me why.

Teh Google Gods will frown at you for not using SSL/TSL as they are on a Secure War With The Alphabet Agencies (I mean, not with their own holding company, tsk tsk).

PS. free certificates in nearly unlimited quantity available at this fairly new organisation:

https://letsencrypt.org/

FYI. My own web host is offering free certificates in place of those sold prior thru their control panel. Certificates are refreshed all three months (cause the bad guys may have find a way to hack them).

Foggy

Post #3 by Foggy » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:49 am

RTH10260 wrote:Teh Google Gods will frown at you for not using SSL/TSL as they are on a Secure War With The Alphabet Agencies (I mean, not with their own holding company, tsk tsk).

To some degree this is true, but Fogbow has never lived or died because of SEO considerations. Not only that ... in order to truly go secure, thousands and thousands of files and links would have to be redone. Otherwise, you'd get warnings for "mixed content". We have too many hotlinks and other links that are all hardcoded into the posts as http://. On a WordPress site you can get plugins that will automagically go through your files and database and fix such things. On this forum it would be a nightmare on steroids cubed.

PS. free certificates in nearly unlimited quantity available at this fairly new organisation:

Also true. That's what I'll be using on some of my sites (I think; I learned that those can only be set up by command line interface and they're tricky to install, and they need to be renewed every 90 days).

FYI. My own web host is offering free certificates in place of those sold prior thru their control panel. Certificates are refreshed all three months (cause the bad guys may have find a way to hack them).

Yep. I took a three hour webinar last week about all this, and will get step-by-step instructions from the vendor of the webinar. But as the guy spent the three hours discussing everything related to https://, I kept thinking about Fogbow, and I decided the hassle isn't worth the possible teeny tiny improvement in SEO results.

But I'm no expert, which is why I started this thread. :blink:

Estiveo

Post #4 by Estiveo » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:20 am

As long as we all wear our decoder rings at all times it shouldn't be an issue.

"Moths are velvety-soft abominations attracted to light." --Puck, reporter from Breaking Cat News

mmmirele

Post #5 by mmmirele » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:22 am

It could become a problem if your browser of choice decides not to let you go there. I wouldn't put it past Firefox to do that in the future. I just had to relegate it to "use in an emergency" status because I got tired of the warning on pretty much every page that Flash wasn't activated. I KNOW that. I set it up that way. So stop it!

Foggy

Post #6 by Foggy » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:40 am

Yeah, well here's another potential problem somewhere down the road ...

I've been keeping stats on how many posts we average since September 2015, and here they are:

stats.png

We've averaged 325 posts a day for almost two years, which is about what we had in the heyday of the birther movement. Wonderful people drift away for one reason or another, and other wonderful people take their places and keep us active and thriving.

But we also have (as of right now) 868,267 total posts (and one more with this one). At the rate of 325 a day ...

... OK, gotta get a pencil ... carry the one ... most uncommon denominator ...

1,000,000 - 868,267 = 131,733

131,733 ÷ 325 = 405.33

April 2, 2017 + 405 days = May 12, 2018

Soooooooo ... on the 172nd anniversary of the day the Donner Party left Springfield, Illinois, headed for California ... we will have ONE MILLION POSTS on the board, with a midterm election looming over us like an alien spaceship ready to beam us all to a world of Democratic control of Congress.

Whatever that means. :smoking:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

listeme

Post #7 by listeme » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:51 am

You could throttle the prolific posters, give us a few more months.

We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.

Foggy

Post #8 by Foggy » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:00 am

Actually, I don't know if a million posts is even a problem. The site is running like a Swiss watch with more than 850,000 posts.

What could go wrong? :mrgreen:

June bug

Post #9 by June bug » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:03 am

listeme wrote:You could throttle the prolific posters, give us a few more months.

You sound like a Treasury Secretary, listeme! :wink:

p0rtia

Post #10 by p0rtia » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:43 am

Foggy wrote:Actually, I don't know if a million posts is even a problem. The site is running like a Swiss watch with more than 850,000 posts.

:panic: :panic: :panic: :panic:

No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:

PaulG

Post #11 by PaulG » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:16 pm

Foggy wrote:Actually, I don't know if a million posts is even a problem. The site is running like a Swiss watch with more than 850,000 posts.

What about the post links (you know ...thefogbow.com...viewtopic.php?p=871018#p871018) Can they handle seven digits? Just wondering.

Foggy

Post #12 by Foggy » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:26 pm

Oh, sure. We're not the biggest phpBB forum by far.

Just the best one. :blink:

Dr. Blue

Post #13 by Dr. Blue » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:40 pm

Foggy wrote:

Also true. That's what I'll be using on some of my sites (I think; I learned that those can only be set up by command line interface and they're tricky to install, and they need to be renewed every 90 days).

I'm one of those people who think all communication should be encrypted, just on principle. I switched to the "Let's Encrypt" certificate service about a year ago for my own sites, and other than having to renew every three months it has been completely hassle free. I'd be happy to help you set it up, Foggy.

Also, depending on the access you have from your hosting provider, it's not terribly difficult to have http:// references automatically re-direct to https://, so you wouldn't necessarily have to rewrite all those links. It's an interesting question about how that would work with embedded content, and whether the browser would still think it was a mixed-content page. Never tried that, but I could test it out and see what happens if you seriously consider this and want to know.

Foggy

Post #14 by Foggy » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:14 pm

Thanks, Doc Blue. I will try to set it up myself, and if I have any trouble I'll get in touch. I'm going to start with a site I rarely use. When I get that done right, I'll move on to sites with more traffic.

I also have access to the instructor from the webinar. I'll ask him about securing a phpBB forum with 850,000 posts.

See, this is why I posted about it. I knew someone would have more expertise than I do. :thumbs:

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post #15 by Flatpointhigh » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:39 pm

Estiveo wrote:As long as we all wear our decoder rings at all times it shouldn't be an issue.

I need to replace mine. where do I send the Maypo boxtops, again?

"It is wrong to say God made rich and poor; He only made male and female, and He gave them the Earth as their inheritance."- Thomas Paine, Forward to Agrarian Justice
Cancer broke me

Return to “Announcements”