Need help from those IAAL types or anyone that knows anything

User avatar
Mary Quite Contrary
Posts: 532
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 11:17 am

Need help from those IAAL types or anyone that knows anything

#1

Post by Mary Quite Contrary » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:34 pm

So my friend, hence forth known as Sara, just got her second speeding ticket in about a month in Summer County Tennessee (just north of Nashville).

Sara is also moving to London in about 3 weeks which is before her new court date. I'm thinking she is going to need a lawyer and doesn't even have a clue how to find one.

1. What would be a good place to start to look? For obvious reasons she needs to get the best deal on any points she could perhaps receive. Money is really not the issue here. I don't want her to be taken to the cleaners of course.

2. What, if any, would the ramifications be when she eventually goes to get a UK License?

3. I know this is for a speeding ticket and not a huge issue, but for her it is. I'm a doctor not a lawyer and have no idea how to help. Usually word of mouth is how I've found good lawyers so I'm not sure where to point her to.

4. She won't be able to be in the states for any court dates. Will this be an issue if she has representation?

Thanks


"My greatest hope is for inclusion and love for all humanity in 2017 and beyond." -Pharrell Williams

User avatar
Dallasite
Posts: 3083
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:38 pm
Location: About 40,000 light years from the center of the Milky Way Galaxy.
Occupation: Senior Scheduling Manager
Chemtrails Program
Human Factors and Behavioral Sciences Division

Re: Need help from those IAAL types or anyone that knows anything

#2

Post by Dallasite » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:45 pm

I don't think things like speeding tickets would have any affect on getting a UK drivers license. I don't think that info transfers over.


"I drank what?!?!" - Soctates, 399 BC

User avatar
Sterngard Friegen
Posts: 43903
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:32 am
Location: Over the drawbridge

Re: Need help from those IAAL types or anyone that knows anything

#3

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:46 pm

Call the County Bar where the ticket was issued and ask. Or just Google traffic ticket lawyer in that area and read the reviews.



User avatar
bob
Posts: 25254
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:22 pm

Re: Need help from those IAAL types or anyone that knows anything

#4

Post by bob » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:56 pm

Dallasite wrote:I don't think things like speeding tickets would have any affect on getting a UK drivers license. I don't think that info transfers over.
No, but FTA (failure to appear) might. Different jurisdictions treat these things ... errr ... differently.

The court's (or the county's) website (if not the ticket itself) should have instructions on whether pleading guilty/paying by mail/over the phone/via the internet is possible.

And, as :sterngard: notes, any search engine will be quick to suggest local attorneys who will resolve such matters.

In many jurisdictions, for minor matters, it is possible to have an attorney appear on the defendant's behalf, without the infractor being present.


Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

User avatar
Mary Quite Contrary
Posts: 532
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 11:17 am

Re: Need help from those IAAL types or anyone that knows anything

#5

Post by Mary Quite Contrary » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:08 pm

Sara just received this parting gift from Tennessee about 2 hrs ago. She's going out of her mind. Personally I just think she fixating on this since she has a bazillion different balls in the air plus 3 kiddos. Oh, and her husband probably will freak out.

I should probably point out that they have that usaa insurance and are hoping to continue while in England. So I'm thinking it may follow her but I have no idea about any of that.

They way I see things I imagine it will be cheaper to retain an attorney than a round trip flight to be present for a stupid traffic court. So not having to appear would be a nice plus.


"My greatest hope is for inclusion and love for all humanity in 2017 and beyond." -Pharrell Williams

boots
Posts: 2905
Joined: Sat May 16, 2015 5:23 pm

Re: Need help from those IAAL types or anyone that knows anything

#6

Post by boots » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:09 pm

For a few hundred dollars she can probably get a local yokel attorney to make whatever court appearance is necessary -if any (she may be able to just plead guilty and pay the fine).



User avatar
Sugar Magnolia
Posts: 9633
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:44 am

Re: Need help from those IAAL types or anyone that knows anything

#7

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:09 pm

Chances are, she can just show up at traffic court at any time before her court date and just pay the ticket. No need for an attorney at all. She may have to see the judge but that's it. Call the number on the ticket and find out when and where she can pay it.



User avatar
MsDaisy
Posts: 4594
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:30 pm

Re: Need help from those IAAL types or anyone that knows anything

#8

Post by MsDaisy » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:18 pm

Can't she just call traffic court tell them she's moving and pay the ticket? :think:


Birfers are toast

User avatar
Mikedunford
Posts: 9699
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:42 pm

Re: Need help from those IAAL types or anyone that knows anything

#9

Post by Mikedunford » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:19 pm

I'm certainly not going to disagree with Stern or bob.

On the UK license side of the equation, there's no reciprocity with licensing. They don't care if you have a license in the US or not, you have to start from scratch and pass both of the (surprisingly difficult) tests (written and road) to get a UK license. I have no idea whether insurance companies here would care about older records from other countries.

As far as the practical side of things goes, there's not a lot of need for a license if you live in Greater London. There's good transit from everywhere to everywhere else. Cars are needed to get out to some of the more remote areas and villages, but for city-to-city stuff transit is almost always easier than driving. And that's true through most of Europe. We just got back from the first trip to continental Europe where we needed a car, and that was because we were way, way out in the middle of nowhere.


"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

User avatar
Dallasite
Posts: 3083
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:38 pm
Location: About 40,000 light years from the center of the Milky Way Galaxy.
Occupation: Senior Scheduling Manager
Chemtrails Program
Human Factors and Behavioral Sciences Division

Re: Need help from those IAAL types or anyone that knows anything

#10

Post by Dallasite » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:31 pm

bob wrote:
Dallasite wrote:I don't think things like speeding tickets would have any affect on getting a UK drivers license. I don't think that info transfers over.
No, but FTA (failure to appear) might. Different jurisdictions treat these things ... errr ... differently.
I was just addressing the questions about points and the ticket's ramifications for a UK license. I didn't say anything about not taking care of the ticket one way or another..


"I drank what?!?!" - Soctates, 399 BC

Xtreme1
Posts: 145
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:11 pm
Location: DuPont Washington
Occupation: Retired Law Enforcement/Federal Task Force Agent

Re: Need help from those IAAL types or anyone that knows anything

#11

Post by Xtreme1 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:42 pm

Have her contact the court of jurisdiction listed on the NTA Notice To Appear. In a lot of jurisdictions, if the ticket is a small infraction, you can appear anytime during the day and a clerk can take your money. On most NTA's there is a box that the officer can check if a mandatory appearance is required.
She can also ask, if she doesn't have any priors, if she would be eligible for a deferment. In that case, she pays the fine and whatever court costs there are and that sets off a timer wherein in 60,90,180 days, they will look at her local record. If there have not been any subsequent infractions, they dismiss the citation, which negates any points from being assigned to her driving record.


“Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility.”- Sigmund Freud

Xtreme1
Posts: 145
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:11 pm
Location: DuPont Washington
Occupation: Retired Law Enforcement/Federal Task Force Agent

Re: Need help from those IAAL types or anyone that knows anything

#12

Post by Xtreme1 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:48 pm

https://www.gallatintn.gov/411/Tickets

Gallatin whuch is in Sumner County has a way to pay online and check fine requirements etc.


“Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility.”- Sigmund Freud

Xtreme1
Posts: 145
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:11 pm
Location: DuPont Washington
Occupation: Retired Law Enforcement/Federal Task Force Agent

Re: Need help from those IAAL types or anyone that knows anything

#13

Post by Xtreme1 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:52 pm

https://www.sumnercourts.com/courts/gen ... s/overview

Sumner County handles County and State Patrol citations. Here is the court schedule for appearances.


“Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility.”- Sigmund Freud

Xtreme1
Posts: 145
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:11 pm
Location: DuPont Washington
Occupation: Retired Law Enforcement/Federal Task Force Agent

Re: Need help from those IAAL types or anyone that knows anything

#14

Post by Xtreme1 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:54 pm

And here is Sumner Counties online payment system for citations from state or county citations.

https://secure.courtfeepay.com


“Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility.”- Sigmund Freud

User avatar
Azastan
Posts: 3190
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:42 am

Re: Need help from those IAAL types or anyone that knows anything

#15

Post by Azastan » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:07 pm

Mikedunford wrote:I'm certainly not going to disagree with Stern or bob.

On the UK license side of the equation, there's no reciprocity with licensing. They don't care if you have a license in the US or not, you have to start from scratch and pass both of the (surprisingly difficult) tests (written and road) to get a UK license. I have no idea whether insurance companies here would care about older records from other countries.

As far as the practical side of things goes, there's not a lot of need for a license if you live in Greater London. There's good transit from everywhere to everywhere else. Cars are needed to get out to some of the more remote areas and villages, but for city-to-city stuff transit is almost always easier than driving. And that's true through most of Europe. We just got back from the first trip to continental Europe where we needed a car, and that was because we were way, way out in the middle of nowhere.
I am certainly not a lawyer, but even if there's no need for a driver's license in Greater London*, 'Sara' may not want to drop her vehicle insurance if she plans on returning to the United States. Insurance companies will wallop you if you have a gap in coverage time, and treat you as if you are a new driver.

*I agree there's really not much point in driving if you don't have to!



Lansdowne
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:00 am

Re: Need help from those IAAL types or anyone that knows anything

#16

Post by Lansdowne » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:14 pm

Driving in Great Britain on a foreign driving licence (for a temporary period up to 1year)

https://www.gov.uk/driving-nongb-licence

But also agree she should consider after some time in Britain whether her situation means she will need a car.



noblepa
Posts: 1006
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:54 pm
Location: Bay Village, Ohio
Occupation: Network Engineer

Re: Need help from those IAAL types or anyone that knows anything

#17

Post by noblepa » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:40 pm

Its been a long time since I got a speeding ticket, and it was in Ohio, not Tennessee.

When I got one, since there were no other circumstances, such as drunk driving, I was able to send in a check for "bail". If I showed up for the court date, I could argue that I was not guilty (I was). If the court had found me not guilty (fat chance), the bail would be returned.

If I didn't show up, it would be treated as a nolo contendre plea and I would be found guilty. The bail would be forfeit and the fine was (Surprise!) exactly equal to the bail I posted. That's what I did.

All of this was explained on the back of the ticket.

Check with your local court. I would be surprised if they didn't have some similar procedure.

Maybe things have changed since I last got a ticket, and maybe the law is different in Tennessee, but I'll bet that for a simple speeding ticket, with no reckless driving, drunk driving or other circumstances, actually showing up for a trial for speeding is not mandatory.



User avatar
Sugar Magnolia
Posts: 9633
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:44 am

Re: Need help from those IAAL types or anyone that knows anything

#18

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:31 pm

Azastan wrote:
Mikedunford wrote:I'm certainly not going to disagree with Stern or bob.

On the UK license side of the equation, there's no reciprocity with licensing. They don't care if you have a license in the US or not, you have to start from scratch and pass both of the (surprisingly difficult) tests (written and road) to get a UK license. I have no idea whether insurance companies here would care about older records from other countries.

As far as the practical side of things goes, there's not a lot of need for a license if you live in Greater London. There's good transit from everywhere to everywhere else. Cars are needed to get out to some of the more remote areas and villages, but for city-to-city stuff transit is almost always easier than driving. And that's true through most of Europe. We just got back from the first trip to continental Europe where we needed a car, and that was because we were way, way out in the middle of nowhere.
I am certainly not a lawyer, but even if there's no need for a driver's license in Greater London*, 'Sara' may not want to drop her vehicle insurance if she plans on returning to the United States. Insurance companies will wallop you if you have a gap in coverage time, and treat you as if you are a new driver.

*I agree there's really not much point in driving if you don't have to!
YES!!! We add my daughter as a driver on our policy every time she leaves the country now. We didn't the first time, and her insurance when she came back was about $400/month. Learned that very expensive lesson very quickly. I think it costs us about $15/month to add her.



User avatar
Mary Quite Contrary
Posts: 532
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 11:17 am

Re: Need help from those IAAL types or anyone that knows anything

#19

Post by Mary Quite Contrary » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:24 pm

So Sara won't be living in London proper (?) but in Tunbridge Wells. They plan to take public transit but will have a car to travel with.

This is her 2nd ticket in a month (the donkey). This one is 75 in a 55. The first one was something little and she payed the fine. She really freaked out over how this could affect her in England.

Good to know it won't be much. She plans on getting her license after 6 mos. I have no idea if this is true but that's her current plan.

Sounds like her best bet is to just call the courts and find out first if she can take care of it sooner.

And probably wear lighter shoes.


"My greatest hope is for inclusion and love for all humanity in 2017 and beyond." -Pharrell Williams

User avatar
tek
Posts: 2698
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:02 pm
Location: Happy Valley, MA
Occupation: Damned if I know

Re: Need help from those IAAL types or anyone that knows anything

#20

Post by tek » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:45 pm

She does need to engage the services of a 'brother at the bar' ...

75 in a 55 might trigger other bad things.. IIRC here in MA 20 over triggers an automatic "driving to endanger" or somesuch..


A truckload of bricks
In the soft morning light

User avatar
Sugar Magnolia
Posts: 9633
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:44 am

Re: Need help from those IAAL types or anyone that knows anything

#21

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:34 pm

tek wrote:She does need to engage the services of a 'brother at the bar' ...

75 in a 55 might trigger other bad things.. IIRC here in MA 20 over triggers an automatic "driving to endanger" or somesuch..
It might trigger a higher fine but I don't believe they can add charges after the fact when she shows up in court. If it triggered an additional charge they would have to write her for that at the time she was stopped.



TexasFilly
Posts: 17964
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:52 pm

Re: Need help from those IAAL types or anyone that knows anything

#22

Post by TexasFilly » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:45 pm

► Show Spoiler


I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill! I believe Dr. Ford!

User avatar
Sterngard Friegen
Posts: 43903
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:32 am
Location: Over the drawbridge

Re: Need help from those IAAL types or anyone that knows anything

#23

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:08 pm

'Filly! :bighug:



User avatar
YaYa
Posts: 338
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:44 am

Re: Need help from those IAAL types or anyone that knows anything

#24

Post by YaYa » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:21 am

Need help for my neice and her new husband. Husband's girlfriend was killed in auto accident last year and court awarded him custody of their two sons. Step Grandma is keeping kids from them. Real Grandpa was convicted on Meth making/selling and was forbidden by Judge to be around kids (6 and 3). Hints on FB lead my niece to believe they plan on running with the kids before court date of 9/16/18. We believe their peoperty was seized in Meth arrest but I cannot find any information on the Tenneessee Appellate Case website. His name is Terry J. Gunter...623 Norton Rd. Meigs County Tennessee. Wife Tammy Moses Gunter. Can my neice just call the Meigs County DA and ask for information? Any help is greatly appreciated.



User avatar
Sugar Magnolia
Posts: 9633
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:44 am

Re: Need help from those IAAL types or anyone that knows anything

#25

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:17 pm

YaYa wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:21 am
Need help for my neice and her new husband. Husband's girlfriend was killed in auto accident last year and court awarded him custody of their two sons. Step Grandma is keeping kids from them. Real Grandpa was convicted on Meth making/selling and was forbidden by Judge to be around kids (6 and 3). Hints on FB lead my niece to believe they plan on running with the kids before court date of 9/16/18. We believe their peoperty was seized in Meth arrest but I cannot find any information on the Tenneessee Appellate Case website. His name is Terry J. Gunter...623 Norton Rd. Meigs County Tennessee. Wife Tammy Moses Gunter. Can my neice just call the Meigs County DA and ask for information? Any help is greatly appreciated.
If the husband has legal custody, why doesn't he just go get the kids? He may have to take copies of the court order and a deputy but they have whole divisions of the sheriff's office that handles that sort of thing.

Is the 9/16 court case for the meth?



Post Reply

Return to “Questions & Suggestions”