Problems with Accessing Jack Ryan's Scribd

Hercule Parrot

Problems with Accessing Jack Ryan's Scribd

Post by Hercule Parrot » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:49 am

I've had persistent problems with Scribd on my Android tablet for the last month or two. Eg : viewtopic.php?f=94&t=8610&p=796631#p796631

Basically, I am subjected to an intermittent and arbitrary 3 Document Limit, as screenshots below. However if I use the same log-in, or no log-in at all, I can often still read the documents with W7 Firefox. I had thought it was specific to the Scribd Android app, especially as uninstall/reinstall often resets the count to zero.

Anyway, I submitted a support ticket to Scribd and their reply is below :

The topic hyperlink is : http://support.scribd.com/hc/en-us/articles/210134746

Knowing Jack's assiduous and competent curatorship, I find it hard to believe that he has accidentally flagged some documents as pay-to-view. It is also notable that many other Bowzers are not experiencing this problem, and it seems specific to certain apps or devices.

But I cannot pursue this further with Scribd Support without first asking Jack to check that the "exclude from membership program" is correctly set. If anyone sees him, could they please mention this and also my appreciation for his work. :-D

Northland10

Re: Problems with Accessing Jack Ryan's Scribd

Post by Northland10 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:06 am

The iPad app is having the same issue. I marked my documents exempt from the subscription and it still says I am have reached the limit so cannot access, MY OWN DOCUMENTS.

Since reading in a browser is fine, I suspect their app is not respecting the subscription exemption.

North-land: of the family 10
UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

HighPlainsDrifter

Post by HighPlainsDrifter » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:21 am

Reading scribd from the Netherlands without any problems on an Android (5.1.1) tablet.

- if installed deinstall the scribd app
- use Firefox for browsing TFB and tapping the scribd link
-when scribd is loading tap "read in browser "
- tap the three dots
- chose "desktop page "

No page limit and no other limit (for me ).

realist

Post by realist » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:33 am

That has been checked on Jack's settings since Scribd first came out with the pay "option" long ago.
Control how Scribd Members interact with your content.
Reader Access

You can choose to exclude your documents from Scribd's membership program at any time.

Do not include my documents in Scribd's membership program

ImageX 4 ImageX36

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:41 am

"To whom this may concern..."

That three page limit is just a big nuissance introduced several months back. It can actually be overriden by looking for a miniscule text link far far down on the page (something like Continue reading in browser). I got tired and am now reading only in the Chrome browser where I can click the "choose desktop mode" chackbox in the menu while the Scribd page is loading from the mobile site, can also too be clicked after loading.

my 0.02CHF (yes cents too also)

Northland10

Post by Northland10 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:14 pm

RTH10260 wrote:"To whom this may concern..."

That three page limit is just a big nuissance introduced several months back. It can actually be overriden by looking for a miniscule text link far far down on the page (something like Continue reading in browser). I got tired and am now reading only in the Chrome browser where I can click the "choose desktop mode" chackbox in the menu while the Scribd page is loading from the mobile site, can also too be clicked after loading.

When the iPad app would not even let me read my own documents (and, like Realist, I had exempted them from the membership program), I started using the Chrome browser in desktop mode. It has been working fine.

Since it was restricting me from my own files in the app, I assumed it was a glitch in a recent version.

ElaineSoCal

Post by ElaineSoCal » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:33 pm

I'm glad to know it isn't just me having problems with it on my old iPad. I have Scribd installed (and reinstalled) but the docs don't find it. Anyway, thanks for this thread.

chancery

Post by chancery » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:47 pm

RTH10260 wrote:"To whom this may concern..."

Having the same problem. "Continue reading in browser" doesn't work for me, because it only serves up a few preview pages.

What does sometimes work is (i) deleting the tablet app and (ii) in the mobile browser navigating to account settings and clicking on a setting that's something like "use full desktop version."

Very annoying.

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:51 pm

I will try Safari on my iPad tonight. When I had this problem before removing and reinstalling the app fixed it. After this last abortion from SCRIBD that trick didn't work. It still takes me to the App store instead of opening a document in the SCRIBD app. I think the programmers at SCRIBD are clowns. I have written reviews and sent them emails about their issues and they keep making the same mistakes.

BTW, from reading the glowing reviews for the SCRIBD app I think I know what their programmers are doing instead of writing code that works. ;)

"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

Northland10

Post by Northland10 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:22 pm

Reality Check wrote:I will try Safari on my iPad tonight. When I had this problem before removing and reinstalling the app fixed it. After this last abortion from SCRIBD that trick didn't work. It still takes me to the App store instead of opening a document in the SCRIBD app. I think the programmers at SCRIBD are clowns. I have written reviews and sent them emails about their issues and they keep making the same mistakes.

BTW, from reading the glowing reviews for the SCRIBD app I think I know what their programmers are doing instead of writing code that works. ;)
Login into Scribd in Safari did not work, however, using my Scribd login on Chrome for iPad does work, as long as I set it for request desktop page or whatever it is called.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:31 am

This happens every time they update the program.

I think you have to totally manuslly delete the old version and reload the new version.

SueDB

Post by SueDB » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:06 pm

Don't know why they piss so many people off with their app? Must be only game in town... but still a Garbage App.

I use the browser Firefox/Chrome/Opera (I like Opera...regardless of whether it's a clone 8-) )

“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:27 pm

Hasn't SCRIBD been a persistent PITA for us with constant changes that don't really work? Is there an alternative?

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

realist

Post by realist » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:45 pm

TollandRCR wrote:Hasn't SCRIBD been a persistent PITA for us with constant changes that don't really work? Is there an alternative?
Sure. Someone with the time and knowhow can copy the thousands of documents at Jack's somewhere else to archive them.

Been talked about for a long time.

Just FYI Jack isn't going to do it. He's spent 8 years doing what he's done. He's aggravated dealing with Scribd also but it was the best choice at the time, in his opinion. No one asked him to do it originally, he just took it on.

ImageX 4 ImageX36

vic

Post by vic » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:30 pm

realist wrote: Sure. Someone with the time and knowhow can copy the thousands of documents at Jack's somewhere else to archive them.

Been talked about for a long time.

Just FYI Jack isn't going to do it. He's spent 8 years doing what he's done. He's aggravated dealing with Scribd also but it was the best choice at the time, in his opinion. No one asked him to do it originally, he just took it on.
I've been trying to build an automated process to do that, but I've had some setbacks. Hoping to be able to start again real soon now.

And I think I have an explanation for the awful Scribd app. I think their programmers are spending all their time coming up with ways to make automated downloads harder to do.
Off Topic
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

Return to “Questions & Suggestions”