Responding to "Off Topic" Posts to Avoid Threadjacking

raicha

Post by raicha » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:23 pm

raicha, can you please advise me. If someone posts something which is offtopic but still - in my mind - worth an answer or a discussion, what am I supposed to do ?My advice is to do what I have done here:1. Hit the "quote" button for the post you are wishing to answer.2. Highlight and copy the entire post.3. Close the reply window and navigate to another thread that IS on topic.4. Create a new topic if the subject is truly unique5. Hit "Post a Reply" in the correct, on-topic thread.6. Paste the quote you brought over from the other thread.7. Complete your reply.The thread you have selected as the correct, on-topic thread will appear as an "active" topic with "new" posts and others will see your new comment.

jtmunkus

Post by jtmunkus » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:25 pm

Off Topic
The worst part of the threadjack is the discussion about it and its resolution that invariably dominates the thread for a period thereafter.I now sit, admittedly, in a steaming pile of my own hypocrisy.

A Legal Lohengrin

Post by A Legal Lohengrin » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:26 pm

And if there isn't one, just shut your yap or start a single-post thread for every arguably tangential subject. That way we can have millions of single-post threadsi also note that I marked my one and only post to that "hijack" offtopic before anyone started yelling about threadjacks. So I could respond profanely in kind to that moving the posts post, but I guess the civility rule applies to us plebeians only.

Piffle

Post by Piffle » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:27 pm

Ya mean like this?
Off Topic
The worst part of the threadjack is the discussion about it and its resolution that invariably dominates the thread for a period thereafter.I now sit, admittedly, in a steaming pile of my own hypocrisy.
Yes. :turd:

realist

Post by realist » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:31 pm

That's okay. It gives everyone something else to bitch about during birther lulls.

ImageX 4 ImageX36

bob

Post by bob » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:33 pm

And if there isn't one, just shut your yap or start a single-post thread for every arguably tangential subject. That way we can have millions of single-post threadsWorks too. Also.

Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

verbalobe

Post by verbalobe » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:34 pm

Raicha, that's a very nicely written little help topic. IMO.I would encourage folks to make use of this technique especially in these latter days of the Georgia Challenge thread, as it has threatened to become a default dumping ground for all things birther. Just because some nutwhack responds to the Malihi/Kemp decision, does not mean it belongs there. Please consider if it would be better in Birther Potpourri, WND, P&E, The Theory behind Conspiracy Theory, or what-have-you.YMMV, I am not green, and hypocrisy disclaimers apply.And I :hug: Fogbow.

jtmunkus

Post by jtmunkus » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:37 pm

Ya mean like this?

Off Topic
The worst part of the threadjack is the discussion about it and its resolution that invariably dominates the thread for a period thereafter.

I now sit, admittedly, in a steaming pile of my own hypocrisy.
Yes. :turd:That comment, evidently, egregious enough of a violation to qualify for full censorship and removal by mods within five minutes of the posting.

Yes. :turd:

! Message from: raicha
Look 5 posts up in this thread and you will find that it was not removed at all. It was moved to an on-topic discussion.

raicha

Post by raicha » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:45 pm

PM is also a nice way to continue conversations.

jtmunkus

Post by jtmunkus » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:51 pm

Thanks for the clarification, raicha. I take back my :turd:, with a side of humility.

listeme

Post by listeme » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:51 pm

A lot of Tolland´s and PP´s (and mine) posts are offtopics or only tangential. Do you really suggest that I start a new topic when Tolland writes about European heritage law and I want to answer to that ? Or am I supposed to shut up ?Actually, yes, I do suggest a new topic.I would also add that "clarification" posts directed to ONE individual in the discussion, particularly of the "you didn't mean that insultingly to my people, right?" type, are definitely PM worthy rather than threadjack-worthy. In my arrogant opinion.One-off jokes don't bug me much. (I'm guilty of those, as well.) I particularly don't mind those when they are PART of a substantive post.A lot of this is common sense and courtesy.Thanks for this topic, Raicha. I'll try not to rant much in it.Hypocrisy, I'm sure I haz it.

We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.

BFB

Post by BFB » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:59 pm

Anyone have any good recipes for guacamole? :lol:

Piffle

Post by Piffle » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:01 pm

That's okay. It gives everyone something else to bitch about during birther lulls.Right. It's either that or limericks or double-dactyls.Happersett, Happersett!Alchemist Mariotries to forge precedentsout of thin air.Clearly the question oftransmutabilitynever occurs to himnor does he care.

Piffle

Post by Piffle » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:05 pm

Thanks for the clarification, raicha. I take back my :turd:, with a side of humility.No worries, jt, nothing personal. I went out looking for a straight line. You know, wrong place, wrong time. :D

bob

Post by bob » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:06 pm

The mods are (rightly) concerned about threadjacking in "hot" topics.* The Georgia challenges, for example, are still developing, and people don't want wade through ten pages of a "fascinating" discussion about unladen swallows** to learn if there's any news about Georgia.* To threadjack my own post:** DON'T!

Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

verbalobe

Post by verbalobe » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:07 pm

My personal answer to ZtG is that it's a gray line. If Tolland's post is already tangential (or off-topic), then your Eurotangent might be best in a new thread, even if it ends up being a one-off.

But I really appreciate the global perspectives of ZtG, PP, RTH, Somerset, GG, and others, and if they're in response to an on-topic post, but themselves arguably tangential, I think they are great in the original thread.

I know others feel differently, and would rather a discussion of the derivation of Azerbaijani names be in a "Name Derivations" thread, than in the Georgia thread where birthers are calling Malihi a Syrian Muslin.

Like I said ... a gray line.

Edit: Here's my personal rule-of-thumb: I consider use of the "Off-Topic" tag in an original thread basically means: Don't reply to this here. If instead I actually want replies, or believe there would be merit to an ongoing discussion, I move it.

ducktape

Post by ducktape » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:45 pm

That's okay. It gives everyone something else to bitch about during birther lulls.Right. It's either that or limericks or double-dactyls.Happersett, Happersett!Alchemist Mariotries to forge precedentsout of thin air.Clearly the question oftransmutabilitynever occurs to himnor does he care.OMG -- I love double dactyls!I'd been trying to figure one out, but hadn't come up with a good opening pattern, and "Higgledy Piggledy" is such a cop-out. "Happersett, Happersett!" Yes! :-bd

Piffle

Post by Piffle » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:59 pm

I'd been trying to figure one out, but hadn't come up with a good opening pattern, and "Higgledy Piggledy" is such a cop-out. "Happersett, Happersett!" Yes! :-bdFor me, the trick is to come up with your six-syllable double-dactyl word first and work outwards from there. (In the one above, the six-syllable word in conforming meter is transmutability.) If you begin by writing the first strophe it's way hard to find a long word that works by the time you get to writing the second strophe. And, yeah, I agree with you about "Higgledy Piggledy" being a cop-out. I never use it. :D

ducktape

Post by ducktape » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:29 pm

I'd been trying to figure one out, but hadn't come up with a good opening pattern, and "Higgledy Piggledy" is such a cop-out. "Happersett, Happersett!" Yes! :-bdFor me, the trick is to come up with your six-syllable double-dactyl word first and work outwards from there. (In the one above, the six-syllable word in conforming meter is transmutability.) If you begin by writing the first strophe it's way hard to find a long word that works by the time you get to writing the second strophe. And, yeah, I agree with you about "Higgledy Piggledy" being a cop-out. I never use it. :D Well, hoping that this is on topic for a topic about responding to off-topic posts .... I've already tied myself into a knot, you see. But just in case, I'll put it in an off-topic block ...

Off Topic
Do you see the rule as the second six-syllable double-dactyl having to be a single word, or is it allowed to have a six-syllable phrase in the proper meter? For example, I once worked for a company called Ampak (packaging machinery, natch), which was having a lot of QA problems with its products, leading to a lot of fingerpointing between inspection and the customers. So I wrote ...

Clackety Packety

Ampak machinery

Works till the point

That it's placed on the dock.

Somewhere in transit,

The gremlins work overtime.

Unhappy customers

Keep us in hock.

With two words making the second six-syllable pattern, is that still a true double-dactyl verse?

Piffle

Post by Piffle » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:48 pm

Off Topic
Do you see the rule as the second six-syllable double-dactyl having to be a single word, or is it allowed to have a six-syllable phrase in the proper meter? For example, I once worked for a company called Ampak (packaging machinery, natch), which was having a lot of QA problems with its products, leading to a lot of fingerpointing between inspection and the customers. So I wrote ...

Clackety Packety

Ampak machinery

Works till the point

That it's placed on the dock.

Somewhere in transit,

The gremlins work overtime.

Unhappy customers

Keep us in hock.

With two words making the second six-syllable pattern, is that still a true double-dactyl verse?
--> =D> I like it, Ducky. It reads quite nicely and packs a humorous wallop directed at your former employer! :o "Clackety packety" is quite good, IMO.

You meter is spot-on too. Even though most Americans will tend to ellide "machinery" to three syllables in everyday speech, it isn't too much to ask the reader to hear it as fully four syllables, so I wouldn't quibble about that. I would, however, move "the" from S2L2 ("the gremlins") to the end of the preceeding line.

But yeah, I'd have to say that omission of a six-syllable single word is more or less a deal-breaker, and I'm afraid any purist would agree. IMO, that isn't being overly picky since it's the most difficult chore in coming up with a fresh double-dactyl.

And if you REALLY want to be a purist, I've heard some say that the long word cannot have been used previously in any other double-dactyl. Except for famous ones, I'm not sure how one is supposed to prove that, but good poets avoid reusing words occuring in well-known examples of the form.

Edit: BTW, I'm not sure that limericks, Clerihews, double-dactyls and other humorous poetry are not always off-topic. Frankly, they don't really fit anywhere at FB as far as I can tell. :oops:

mimi

Post by mimi » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:09 pm

I just want to say how much I appreciate the greenies. Yeah, even though I've been occasionally scolded with the big '!", I still appreciate your efforts. Thanks. :hug:

Piffle

Post by Piffle » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:25 pm

I just want to say how much I appreciate the greenies. Yeah, even though I've been occasionally scolded with the big '!", I still appreciate your efforts. Thanks. :hug:I agree with ya, mimi.

When I find myself right on the bubble,

Mother rarely comes to me

Screeching in derision, let it be.

And in my sourest snarkness,

She is standing right in front of me

Seeking an excision, let it be.

Let it be, let it be, let it be, let it be.

Shine unto tomorrow, let it be.

Yeah, we got us a great group of greenies, we do.

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:20 pm

I think this may about the time for somebody to post a recipe...

Image Image Image Image Image

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:38 pm

I think this may about the time for somebody to post a recipe...Nope, sorry. Do that in the Hijack thread. [-X

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:49 pm

KHAAAAAAANNN!

Image Image Image Image Image

Return to “Questions & Suggestions”