It sucks growing old

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

It sucks growing old

Post by RTH10260 »

The covefe indicator tells me it's time to refill with hot beverage ;)
Lani

It sucks growing old

Post by Lani »

Midnight run to the hospital night Monday/Tuesday early morning, in surgery in minutes. Aorta was swelling. Then adding stents. I am a terrible patient. Why isn't the tv working/Where is my coffee (which was allowed)/Why isn't the phone working/blah blah blah. I was home yesterday afternoon. :dance:

Mocha had sprayed the doorways to my room and son's & partner's bedroom. Son punished him. NO! Mocha was frightened I was gone, and he thought he was taking care of the rooms for me. He stopped that when I arrived, jump in my lap, and so happy! I'm very weak, but I use my mobility scooter to take him for a walk around the block.

Good news - out on leave for work 2 weeks starting Monday. And I'm doing some thinking about budgets and retiring. :think:
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
AndyinPA
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by AndyinPA »

Oh, Lani. I'm so sorry. Please take care of yourself and get well soon. :bighug:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by Volkonski »

AndyinPA wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:55 pm Oh, Lani. I'm so sorry. Please take care of yourself and get well soon. :bighug:
My feelings exactly. :bighug:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

It sucks growing old

Post by Foggy »

Yikes. Lani, your life is a little too adventurous lately. :lol:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

It sucks growing old

Post by bill_g »

Yikes indeed Lani. Ugh. Big hugs. Rest up and get well soon.
jemcanada2

It sucks growing old

Post by jemcanada2 »

Take care, Lani!! :bighug: :bighug:
June bug

It sucks growing old

Post by June bug »

Oh, Lani! Take care of yourself, sweetie, and know we’re all sending you a :grouphug: !
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

It sucks growing old

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:bighug:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
p0rtia

It sucks growing old

Post by p0rtia »

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by Slim Cognito »

Get better fast!!!!! :bighug:
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Fiascoist

It sucks growing old

Post by Fiascoist »

Sounds like you are getting better... Just don't start speed racing your scooter. :bighug:
Annrc
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by Annrc »

:bighug:
Lani

It sucks growing old

Post by Lani »

Fiascoist wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 1:17 pm Sounds like you are getting better... Just don't start speed racing your scooter. :bighug:
Did that when I got home! Took Mocha on two scooter-walks - just a block or 2. :oldlady:
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
AndyinPA
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by AndyinPA »

:bighug: :thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Lani

It sucks growing old

Post by Lani »

Saw the heart surgeon today. Said things are going ok, and I'm going to feel better and better.

He said someone/everyone dropped the ball. He went through all my records and found out the previous doctors knew about the clot for a couple of years. Every time I had a xray, it was bigger & bigger, and nobody told me. :evil:

He met me the night I was being rushed into surgery - fortunately.

Meanwhile at home I looked into buying a lightweight wheelchair to use in the house & garden. Then I saw a mobility scooter on sale. Years ago I bought a used one from a resident leaving Hawaii. Love it, but it can barely travel 2 miles. I have to know where there are public electrical outlets when I drive around. My new one goes 10 to 14 miles :dance: It was on sale, going fast, but I bought in time. Probably will take a month, but it's on its way. :dance:

Seriously, if you know someone who has a mobility problem, including back pain, arthritis, etc., tell them to try out scooters. First - they are fun! Really! Easy to use, comfortable seat, and drive on sidewalks, in stores, etc. :dance: Easy to take apart and toss in the trunk. Flying? Drive up to the plane's door. When you land, the scooter is brought to you.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

It sucks growing old

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Hubby said I could choose between getting a horse or a scooter because he could only worry about me getting hurt on one thing. I chose a horse!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater

It sucks growing old

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, if'n you haven't been hurt on the horsie, I'd revisit that conversation. :mrgreen:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

It sucks growing old

Post by neonzx »

Mrich

It sucks growing old

Post by Mrich »

I've mentioned my dad before - he's now 93 and has dementia, probably Alzheimer's. He's still at home with my mom (92) who has problems dealing with him because he used to do EVERYTHING and now can't remember how to use a microwave, and it breaks her heart.

Anyway, I've done some reading and watched online videos on how to handle dementia patients, which is basically avoid arguing and try to enter their reality. Sometimes I'm really good at it, but sometimes I slip up.

Today, I got to my parents' house and my mom immediately said "YOU handle it!" Not a good start. I got my dad to go into the other room to talk to him.

Dad: I'm in a fix. I've got to cancel a date.
Me: A date? You mean an appointment, or a meeting?
D: No, a date. I feel like such a jerk.
M: You mean a date with a girl? Dad, you're married! (mistake)
D: MARRIED? I am not! (argue back and forth a bit) To who?
M: You have been married to Mom for 70 years! (argue back and forth)
D: Well, I guess I better call that other girl...
M: WHAT other girl?
D: The other girl. Will you call them for me? I feel awful about doing this to them.
M: (Finally, understanding dawns... he made 2 dates for a dance with 2 different girls!) Dad, I will talk to them, it's ok. No problem, dates get cancelled all the time.
D: But they were counting on me.
M: They'll be mad for a couple days but they'll get over it. It's no big deal. They'll probably go to the dance anyway; girls today do that.
D: Thank you so much; I'll just sit here and feel like a fool.

I never thought I'd be managing my father's love life! To his credit, he did seem ashamed. My dad, the player!

If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane - Jimmy Buffett
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

It sucks growing old

Post by raison de arizona »

My favorite thing about when my dad had dementia was that if I screwed up, I could just try again later and do better. I learned that arguing or trying to bring him into reality was pointless, and upsetting to him. So, sometimes I was Uncle Elmer, other times I was a distant cousin, but he always enjoyed my company (and I his.)
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Mrich

It sucks growing old

Post by Mrich »

Yeah, my dad still has a sense of humor. When I told him he wasn't allowed to drive any more, he said "any car?" When I said no, he said "I guess I'll have to get a motorcycle." :lol:
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

It sucks growing old

Post by bill_g »

I'm taking notes. I answer a question for Mrs, and hours later she's asking about it again.
Volkonski
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by Volkonski »

The median age in the U.S. reaches a record high, approaching 40 years old

https://www.axios.com/2023/06/22/median ... tion-older
America is red, white, blue ... and gray. The median age in the U.S. reached a record high last year, rising to 38.9 years, and it's likely only going up from here, per Census Bureau data out Thursday.

Why it matters: Decades of lower birth rates and increasing (until recently) life expectancy means older folks make up an ever larger share of the population.

Put another way: The baby boomers and their kids — the millennials or echo boomers — are aging the country. Call it the OK, (echo) boomer era.

This has all kinds of implications for the economy, particularly in the workforce where the aging population is keeping the labor market tight.

The aging workforce could drive worker shortages for years to come — especially in health care, which will become even more crucial as we gray.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Foggy
Dick Tater

It sucks growing old

Post by Foggy »

Mrich wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:33 pm Yeah, my dad still has a sense of humor. When I told him he wasn't allowed to drive any more, he said "any car?" When I said no, he said "I guess I'll have to get a motorcycle." :lol:
I gotta remember that one. :lol:

I wore my "Dance Risk" t-shirt to the hospital yesterday so they would have some idea who they were dealing with. :dance:

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”