Maxing Search Visibility With Topic Titles

Orlylicious

Maxing Search Visibility With Topic Titles

Post #1 by Orlylicious » Mon May 23, 2016 8:14 pm

The Fogbow is an incredible place and I always wish more people knew about it. One thing I've noticed is that Google picks up Fogbow content quite well.

Something to consider when posting are the Topic titles. For example, today's Mcauliffe news is in the "2013 Governor: Virginia" topic, which doesn't mention his name. On the other hand, "NFL Management Council et al. v. NFL Players Association et al., 2nd Circuit USCA (Deflategate)" is #2 (even without the Deflategate at the end).

https://www.google.com/search?q=NFL+Management+Council+et+al.+v.+NFL+Players+Association+et+al.%2C+2nd+Circuit+USCA+%28Deflategate%29&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#safe=off&q=NFL+Management+Council+et+al.+v.+NFL+Players+Association+et+al.%2C+2nd+Circuit+USCA:

1. [PDF]United States Court of Appeals - NFL.com
static.nfl.com/static/content/public/photo/2016/04/25/0ap3000000655650.pdf
NFL by TOM BRADY - ‎Related articles
Apr 25, 2016 - National Football League Management Council et al. v. National Football League Players Association et al. In the. 1 ... for the Second Circuit. 3.

2. NFL Management Council et al. v. NFL Players Association et al ...
www.thefogbow.com › ... › Politics and the Economy › Courts, Law, and Legal Issues
Mar 3, 2016 - I couldn't find an existing topic on this case so thought I would start one. Today at 2 PM ET the Second Circuit is holding oral arguments on the ...

I've tried to go back to threads I've started and clean them up, as we know the old board did a number on links etc. I'm thinking of people first visiting.. if the first pages are hard to read and understand, people might not keep going.

Just a couple thoughts for the best community place online!

From Michael Moore: RESISTANCE CALENDAR! A one-stop site for all anti-Trump actions EVERY DAY nationwide: http://resistancecalendar.org

phelana

Re: Maxing Search Visibility With Topic Titles

Post #2 by phelana » Fri May 27, 2016 1:11 pm

This is a good point. Many times I go looking for a thread to post into. It might be more effective if I started a new topic. If there's not much interest, it will just die and drop off page.

I contemplating writing a rant about my latest scam call. Not Microsoft tech support but Dell support. Now Dell support has the serial # to my laptop. But saying 'your Inspiron laptop' is a good broad guess. No sir, I haven't booted it up in over two weeks. He wanted to know why....'Because I have a phone.' He hung up. I blocked his number. Now I can see where this scam might catch people who have called into Dell tech support in the past. I had to allow access so they would believe me that the battery wasn't charging after just two months.

Perhaps we need a Scams board where we can have various topics for the scams.

Beatrice: Sigh no more, ladies, sigh no more. Men were deceivers ever. One foot in sea and one on shore, to one thing constant never. Then sigh not so but let them go and be you blithe and bonny, converting all your sounds of woe into hey nonny nonny.

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post #3 by Flatpointhigh » Fri May 27, 2016 1:15 pm

a scam/ripoff board would be a good idea.

"It is wrong to say God made rich and poor; He only made male and female, and He gave them the Earth as their inheritance."- Thomas Paine, Forward to Agrarian Justice
Cancer broke me

Kriselda Gray
Location: FEMA Camp 2112 - a joint project of the U.S. and Canada

Post #4 by Kriselda Gray » Fri May 27, 2016 1:19 pm

Can you explain more what happened with the call and how it's a scam? I'd like to know to make sure I don't get tricked into anything, but I don't understand what you're describing well enough.

Thanks!

Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand... - "Witch Hunt" by Rush

SCMP = SovCits/Militias/Patriots.

Thor promised to slay the Ice Giants
God promised to quell all evil
-----
I'm not seeing any Ice Giants...

Reality Check

Post #5 by Reality Check » Fri May 27, 2016 2:04 pm

That's interesting that the topic I started on the Brady case comes up #2. It does for me also. I wonder if it might be related rather to the fact that Google knows I (we) go to the Fogbow a lot?

I think another good item for discussion would be about when to start new topics. There have to be at least six Bundy threads now but I can see the need for most of them like the separate ones for Oregon and Nevada. I've always liked the fact that the Fogbow (and Politijab before) was pretty vigilant about keeping topics from blowing up into thirty threads.

What has 'theology' ever said that is of the smallest use to anybody? When has 'theology' ever said anything that is demonstrably true and is not obvious? What makes you think that 'theology' is a subject at all?

Richard Dawkins

DejaMoo

Post #6 by DejaMoo » Fri May 27, 2016 3:19 pm

Kriselda Gray wrote:Can you explain more what happened with the call and how it's a scam? I'd like to know to make sure I don't get tricked into anything, but I don't understand what you're describing well enough.

Thanks!

It's very easy to tell it's a scam: Companies can't just magically discern from a distance that there's something wrong with an individual's computer. Think about it: that's NSA-level monitoring and intrusion. They can do that with their own company network, which is under their legal ownership and control, but they can't and don't do it for private parties (with the occasional exception of ISPs noting the spreading of malware from a specific IP address). Hell, it wouldn't be a cost-effective way to do business even if they could do it.

So when you get a call out of the blue from somebody claiming they're from Microsoft, or Dell, or whoever, and that they've detected a problem with your computer, just hang up. It's a scam. They are looking for suckers who'll agree to give them remote access (by agreeing to install an application that will grant them access) to their pcs, at which point they can indeed install malware/take data hostage, and then demand money.

Again: if anyone calls you out of the blue and claims they've detected a problem with your device, hang up. They're crooks.

Mockingbird

Post #7 by Mockingbird » Fri May 27, 2016 3:29 pm

Excellent points about the thread titles! And not only for search engines.

Some individuals like Moe and Ritz Cracker are amusing enough to get their own threads -- and it really helps to have their real name in the thread title so that when we come across a new outbreak of idiocy on their part we can more easily look up their thread to post in the appropriate thread.

Kriselda Gray
Location: FEMA Camp 2112 - a joint project of the U.S. and Canada

Post #8 by Kriselda Gray » Fri May 27, 2016 4:58 pm

Thanks, Deja! I wasn't sure from the original post what the caller had said.

Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand... - "Witch Hunt" by Rush

SCMP = SovCits/Militias/Patriots.

Thor promised to slay the Ice Giants
God promised to quell all evil
-----
I'm not seeing any Ice Giants...

Sugar Magnolia

Post #9 by Sugar Magnolia » Sat May 28, 2016 6:10 am

Mockingbird wrote:Excellent points about the thread titles! And not only for search engines.

Some individuals like Moe and Ritz Cracker are amusing enough to get their own threads -- and it really helps to have their real name in the thread title so that when we come across a new outbreak of idiocy on their part we can more easily look up their thread to post in the appropriate thread.

Yes! The bastardization of someone's name makes me crazy. Using a recognizable nickname (like GIL) is one thing, but when people just arbitrarily start mangling someone's name trying to be funny (they rarely are) it just makes the poster look childish.

Off my pet-peeve soapbox now.

phelana

Post #10 by phelana » Sun May 29, 2016 8:30 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Mockingbird wrote:Excellent points about the thread titles! And not only for search engines.

Yes! The bastardization of someone's name makes me crazy. Using a recognizable nickname (like GIL) is one thing, but when people just arbitrarily start mangling someone's name trying to be funny (they rarely are) it just makes the poster look childish.

GIL isn't even recognizable to us noobs. :) I am guilty of the Ritzy use. I can just never remember how to spell Ritzheimer (did I get it right?).

Beatrice: Sigh no more, ladies, sigh no more. Men were deceivers ever. One foot in sea and one on shore, to one thing constant never. Then sigh not so but let them go and be you blithe and bonny, converting all your sounds of woe into hey nonny nonny.

phelana

Post #11 by phelana » Sun May 29, 2016 8:37 pm

DejaMoo wrote:
Kriselda Gray wrote:Can you explain more what happened with the call and how it's a scam? I'd like to know to make sure I don't get tricked into anything, but I don't understand what you're describing well enough.

Thanks!

It's very easy to tell it's a scam: Companies can't just magically discern from a distance that there's something wrong with an individual's computer. Think about it: that's NSA-level monitoring and intrusion. They can do that with their own company network, which is under their legal ownership and control, but they can't and don't do it for private parties (with the occasional exception of ISPs noting the spreading of malware from a specific IP address). Hell, it wouldn't be a cost-effective way to do business even if they could do it.

So when you get a call out of the blue from somebody claiming they're from Microsoft, or Dell, or whoever, and that they've detected a problem with your computer, just hang up. It's a scam. They are looking for suckers who'll agree to give them remote access (by agreeing to install an application that will grant them access) to their pcs, at which point they can indeed install malware/take data hostage, and then demand money.

Again: if anyone calls you out of the blue and claims they've detected a problem with your device, hang up. They're crooks.

In this case, the calls seem to be targeting people who have used remote access tech support in the past. I was speaking with a mortgage broker. She had received a very similar call. The caller said they'd used the service in the past year and they were calling to check that things were still running well. She wisely told them to have a nice day.

Some days, I feel like messing with the scammers. I'll pretend to be typing what they ask but man, I'm just fumble fingers and can't get it right. In reality, I might be typing a post on fogbow. One day, I just kept treading away on elliptical while my oh so slow laptop was trying to boot. They finally said, they'd have a supervisor call me back. The best yet was asking them to find my stolen laptop since they were tracking the error messages. After a few minutes, the guy assured me that Bruce Guittereuz from the FBI would call me the next day. I told him to never mind, I'd just walk up the street and talk to them, since they were raiding the house two doors down. That part wasn't a lie. The FBI raided some folks that got a couple years jump on the recreational marijuana market.

I have to admit that I love the Ooma Voice over IP phone system. Free long distance and when I get a scam call, I can just hit the call block button and add it to Ooma's block list.

Sugar Magnolia

Post #12 by Sugar Magnolia » Sun May 29, 2016 8:38 pm

phelana wrote:
Sugar Magnolia wrote:

GIL isn't even recognizable to us noobs. :) I am guilty of the Ritzy use. I can just never remember how to spell Ritzheimer (did I get it right?).

Ritzy is easily recognizable, and I guess GIL has just been used so much it seems recognizable to me although I have to admit I had to ask what it meant too.

spiduh

Post #13 by spiduh » Sun May 29, 2016 9:34 pm

I know who CEL3 is, but I still draw a blank on the full name and have to look it up when searching. Maybe it is a mental block.

“If they kill me, grab my phone.” –Ammon Bundy (Reuters)
"Yes, I Did Turn the Flying Monkeys Loose!" -Anna von Reitz (FB)
"I 'Self Identify' as a female" -Jon Ritzheimer (FB)

Reality Check

Post #14 by Reality Check » Sun May 14, 2017 9:29 am

James Veitch did a a series of Ted Talk's on his adventures replying to email scammers. They are hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QdPW8JrYzQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4Uc-cztsJo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dceyy0cX6J4

What has 'theology' ever said that is of the smallest use to anybody? When has 'theology' ever said anything that is demonstrably true and is not obvious? What makes you think that 'theology' is a subject at all?

Richard Dawkins

RTH10260

Post #15 by RTH10260 » Sun May 14, 2017 10:39 am

Reality Check wrote:James Veitch did a a series of Ted Talk's on his adventures replying to email scammers. They are hilarious.
:snippity:

Thanks !
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Whatever4

Post #16 by Whatever4 » Sun May 14, 2017 3:12 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
Reality Check wrote:James Veitch did a a series of Ted Talk's on his adventures replying to email scammers. They are hilarious.
:snippity:

Thanks !
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

That was fun! :lol:

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Return to “Questions & Suggestions”