Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

New York State Investigations of Trump and Related

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*
filly

Re: New York State Investigations of Trump and Related

Post by filly »

That’s right. Also highly likely the Judge would issue a gag order.
Sunrise

Post by Sunrise »

chancery wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:44 pm
noblepa wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:52 pm You just know that, even in a courtroom that doesn't normally allow cameras, the networks and probably Trump himself, will insist that the trial be televised.
For better or worse -- better, IMO -- it doesn't work like that in New York State. N.Y. Civil Rights Law § 52.
The primary issue on this appeal is whether Civil Rights Law § 52, which bans audiovisual coverage of most courtroom proceedings, violates the Federal or State Constitution. We agree with the Supreme Court and the Appellate Division that there is no First Amendment or New York Constitution, article I, § 8 right to televise a trial.
Courtroom Television Network LLC v. New York, 5 N.Y.3d 222 (2005).
Note: In the NYS judicial system, "Supreme Court" refers to a trial court.
Except knowing how DFO operates, we can probably expect him to have his lawyers appeal all the way up to SCOTUS, where he hopes he can count on at least five votes. We should have learned by now that he stops at nothing if he’s infuriated, which he certainly will be with this lawsuit.
much ado

Post by much ado »

Sunrise wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:32 am
chancery wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:44 pm
noblepa wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:52 pm You just know that, even in a courtroom that doesn't normally allow cameras, the networks and probably Trump himself, will insist that the trial be televised.
For better or worse -- better, IMO -- it doesn't work like that in New York State. N.Y. Civil Rights Law § 52.
The primary issue on this appeal is whether Civil Rights Law § 52, which bans audiovisual coverage of most courtroom proceedings, violates the Federal or State Constitution. We agree with the Supreme Court and the Appellate Division that there is no First Amendment or New York Constitution, article I, § 8 right to televise a trial.
Courtroom Television Network LLC v. New York, 5 N.Y.3d 222 (2005).
Note: In the NYS judicial system, "Supreme Court" refers to a trial court.
Except knowing how DFO operates, we can probably expect him to have his lawyers appeal all the way up to SCOTUS, where he hopes he can count on at least five votes. We should have learned by now that he stops at nothing if he’s infuriated, which he certainly will be with this lawsuit.
If it's an ordinary civil tax issue, SCOTUS is not going to help him.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

slq wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:25 pm IIRC, this was a grand jury subpoena? (I'll admit to general confusion about the multitude of information, so please correct me if I'm wrong.) If so, the result will be a grand jury indictment or a no bill. What happens after that depends on what the grand jury does.
According to the "New York section of my program, State is Civil, for now, City is criminal, as best as can be told and SDNY wants to let everyone else have a go first to look fair.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Danraft

Post by Danraft »

I think filly and Suranis are actually referencing the same trait - Trump’s bravado powered falsehoods diminished in previous similar encounters. At least that’s my recollection.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

If Trump faces a New York petit jury, either civil or criminal, IMHO he will likely lose. New Yorkers voted agin' him and protested whenever he visited while in his former occupation. They will be motivated to "do justice" the New York way, depending upon the evidence, of course. :mrgreen:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

He's no longer a NY resident either. He won't get any sympathy from a NY jury.
Il factotum
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:38 am If Trump faces a New York petit jury, either civil or criminal, IMHO he will likely lose. New Yorkers voted agin' him and protested whenever he visited while in his former occupation. They will be motivated to "do justice" the New York way, depending upon the evidence, of course. :mrgreen:
I think that involves cement... :shock:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

zekeb wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:10 am He's no longer a NY resident either. He won't get any sympathy from a NY jury.
He won't have even if he still had NY residency.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

They are more aware than anybody else of his antics over the last 30-40 years.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

NY never liked Trump. As hard as he tried, he could never make it into the elite circles. And he wasn't a player in the real estate game here either. He made a couple good deals, but a lot of them were crap, as evidenced by his serial bankruptcies. The thing he was really successful at was building his brand. Nobody important cared. Boohoo poor Trumpkins. Too bad he had to take it out on the whole country.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

covfefe wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:18 pm NY never liked Trump. As hard as he tried, he could never make it into the elite circles. And he wasn't a player in the real estate game here either. He made a couple good deals, but a lot of them were crap, as evidenced by his serial bankruptcies. The thing he was really successful at was building his brand. Nobody important cared. Boohoo poor Trumpkins. Too bad he had to take it out on the whole country.
It seems that Trump has always believed that money imparted class on the owner. He is living proof that it doesn't.

Then too, I don't think that any of the truly rich people in NY believed that he had anywhere near as much money as he claimed.
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:38 am If Trump faces a New York petit jury, either civil or criminal, IMHO he will likely lose. New Yorkers voted agin' him and protested whenever he visited while in his former occupation. They will be motivated to "do justice" the New York way, depending upon the evidence, of course. :mrgreen:
With all the notoriety and controversy that has followed this individual for the past four years not to mention fifty years, how can the prosecution and defense find twelve citizens plus a few alternates who are completely ignorant of his persona and his penchant for being a lying liar? How can these ordinary folks set aside their knowledge of what he has done in order to evaluate the evidence the way juries are supposed to?

Maybe a change of venue to Moscow?
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Frater I*I wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:11 pm

I thought that was a New Jersey thing.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Gregg wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:41 pm
Frater I*I wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:11 pm

I thought that was a New Jersey thing.
For New York, Junior gets a fish wrapped in a long red tie.

NADT.
101010 :towel:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

4 Trump buildings in NYC, part of D.A.'s probe, also grapple with slumping profits

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-buil ... =113162763
Donald Trump's premier New York City real estate holdings — once the foundation of his fortune and fame — have increasingly become a problem for the former president.

Part of the reason is COVID-19, which has taken a toll on many landlords. Yet the hit to Trump's New York real estate operations is harder than the rest of the industry has experienced, and it comes after years of financial underperformance by the Trump Organization properties in some of the city's swankiest neighborhoods.

Indeed, last year marked the fifth year in a row in which the four most prominent Trump-owned buildings in Manhattan, including the Fifth Avenue Trump Tower made famous by "The Apprentice" TV show, missed lenders' earnings expectations, according to a CBS MoneyWatch review of publicly available documents.

COVID-19 has made the finances of the four buildings deteriorate further. As of January, three of the four Manhattan buildings had been flagged by mortgage-payment processors because of their worsening financial shape. That compares to one in four commercial loans industrywide that have been put on similar watch lists.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Good!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

Trump's financial holdings are slowly edging toward a cliff.

For now, they haven't fallen over the cliff, but when they do, I predict the dominoes will fall quickly. (Sorry to mix my metaphors).

I've never believed that he had a net worth of a billion dollars. He has plenty of assets, that may well total more than a billion dollars, but most of them seem to be mortgaged to the hilt. Indeed, he once proudly proclaimed that he was "the King of debt".

Some experts think that many of his assets are overvalued. I believe that that is a big part of the investigations currently going on in NY. He is alleged to have understated property values for tax purposes and overvalued the same properties when asking for a mortgage. That is either tax fraud or lending fraud, or both.

If, as some believe, his properties are overvalued and heavily mortgaged, they may actually be underwater, that is, have a negative equity.

I have also always believed that he may not only NOT be a billionaire, but he may actually be technically insolvent, and living off of cash flow.
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

I nominate "financial underperformance" as applied to DJT's business for the Litote of the Year Award.
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

noblepa wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:02 pm.

Some experts think that many of his assets are overvalued. I believe that that is a big part of the investigations currently going on in NY. He is alleged to have understated property values for tax purposes and overvalued the same properties when asking for a mortgage. That is either tax fraud or lending fraud, or both.

If, as some believe, his properties are overvalued and heavily mortgaged, they may actually be underwater, that is, have a negative equity.
Trump claims all kinds of sources of money. Some he doesn't own.

https://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/23/busi ... worth.html

http://gawker.com/donald-trumps-grossly ... 1711718182

I think Trump is terrified that banks and those he's in business with will learn about his actual net worth.

Trump went to SCOTUS to keep his taxes from being evaluated. Who does that? Liars and cheats.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

I don't have the link (sorry), but Michael Cohen is (or has already) sat for seven interviews with Vance or his team. Don't have the exact quote (sorry), but John Dean on CNN said there's no way a prosecutor has someone in for that many interviews without charges being imminent.

Please let this be true.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:pray:
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

:dance:
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

:popcorn:
much ado