Matt Gaetz - Matthew Louis Gaetz II R-FL1 Bday May 7, 1982 Taurus / Dog & His Helper, Nestor Galban

These people suck. They are bad people.
Fiascoist

Re: Matthew "Matt" Louis Gaetz II R-FL1 "Soulless, Power-Hungry Ghoul" "Petulant Idiot" & His Helper, Nestor Galban

Post by Fiascoist »

Should there be a separate space for acquittal due to false accusation? An acquittal says the state failed to prove it's case. I used to have people ask me my win percentage. I answered as follows using burglary as an example: person physically commits the burglary, we go to trial, they are convicted, win/lose: person charged with burglary, their act is trespass, convicted of trespass, win/lose: person charged with burglary, physically commits burglary, convicted of trespass, win/lose; person charged with burglary/ acquitted, win/lose: there certainly are more permutations, but that's the drift. A conviction has penalties to it, even if the person committed a higher offense, especially in felony world. If a person is convicted of a particular felony, which they didn't do, but were acquitted of the felony they did commit, win/lose. It's not a cut and dry issue.
As my mother told me, "it's okay to convict somebody even if they didn't do it because they probably have committed other crimes anyway." That was her trying to make me feel better when I had a client convicted.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Re: Matthew "Matt" Louis Gaetz II R-FL1 "Soulless, Power-Hungry Ghoul" "Petulant Idiot" & His Helper, Nestor Galban

Post by Maybenaut »

Fiascoist wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:08 pm Should there be a separate space for acquittal due to false accusation? An acquittal says the state failed to prove it's case.
What difference does it make if the state failed to prove its case because the defendant was falsely accused, or for some other reason? The burden is never on the defense, but it’s always the defense who necessarily has to prove that an allegation is “false.” Indeed, if the prosecutor knew the allegation was false, he couldn’t (or shouldn’t) ethically proceed. But an acquittal could also happen just by poking holes in the government’s evidence. I don’t think the reason for an acquittal matters at all.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Maybenaut wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:38 pm
p0rtia wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:58 pm That's a good example. No, I don't think a criminal defense lawyer who gets a murderer off (for example) should be described as having gotten a successful result. I don't consider that a "successful defense". I agree that it is a constitutional and necessary defense, and I have no problem with the lawyer's actions (short of any lawyers who might be acting unethically, obviously), but I would not use the word "successful" in this context. I would be happy to use it in a case where a defense lawyer successfully represented someone falsely accused.
How do you tell the difference? You can’t always. Just because someone is charged doesn’t mean they’re guilty. That’s what the trial is for.

The lawyer’s job is to get the best result she can for her client. If, after holding the government’s feet to the fire, she’s able to either get the charges dismissed because of some violation in the part of the government, or she convinces a jury that the government has failed to prove its case beyond a reasonable doubt, she’s been successful in my view.
We've sort of left the ballpark on my point (and I admit it's a small park!). My objection only comes into play when I, or objective viewers, and quite often the speaker, use the word "successful" to describe destructive, or unethical, or dishonest things. I remember in 2016 Donnie Deutsch (whom I loathe) waxing elo about TFG being a "successful businessman." As in, "You have to admit he's a successful businessman." Sorry, no. Not to me. I don't have to admit that. He's a crook, etc. (you all know the list) and a blight on society. That is not a success.

Of course one of the definitions of "successful" is "making a lot of money/gaining fame". Again, I dont' have a problem with that. Though I do have a friend who paid to have his book written by someone else (I know this because I started the job and then bailed), then he paid to promote it and bought thousands of copies to boost sales, not stopping till he was number one on amazon in his genre. I think I'd barf at him being called a "successful writer."
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

qbawl wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:01 pm
p0rtia wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:58 pm
filly wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:17 pm

So do you think there are no successful criminal defense lawyers? I am not using the word "success" to describe monetary gain but successful at representing their clients. You don't have to approve of their clients for them to be successful. Criminal defense lawyers do serve a critical role in our justice system.
That's a good example. No, I don't think a criminal defense lawyer who gets a murderer off (for example) should be described as having gotten a successful result. I don't consider that a "successful defense". I agree that it is a constitutional and necessary defense, and I have no problem with the lawyer's actions (short of any lawyers who might be acting unethically, obviously), but I would not use the word "successful" in this context. I would be happy to use it in a case where a defense lawyer successfully represented someone falsely accused.

If Chauvin were to be acquitted, I would not call his defense a success.

I recognize that it's largely a personal thing. And really nit-picky. But the older I get, the more I notice that people do not use words in the same ways.

I should start a threat about words.
I see what you did there.
Oy. With the typos. :bag:
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

somerset wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:37 pm
sad-cafe wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:26 pm Who is Tom Reed and how does he fit in this?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/investig ... story.html

Similar crime, different sleaze-puppy.
Nicolette Davis said she was 25, on her first networking trip as a junior lobbyist for an insurance company, when she felt the 45-year-old congressman’s hand on her back. She and other lobbyists had gathered at an Irish pub in Minneapolis after a day of ice fishing, Davis told The Washington Post, and Rep. Tom Reed (R-N.Y) was seated to her left.

“A drunk congressman is rubbing my back,” she texted a friend and co-worker at Aflac that evening in 2017, adding later, “HELP HELP.”

Reed, his hand outside her blouse, briefly fumbled with her bra before unhooking it by pinching the clasp, Davis told The Post. He moved his hand to her thigh, inching upward, she said.

Frozen in fear, she said, she asked the person sitting to her right for help. He obliged by pulling the congressman away from the table and out of the restaurant, Davis said.
It probably doesn't help that he also looks like Don Rickles.

I had no idea. Since I went back to work, I only get snippets of news and most of what I have chosen to watch is trial witnesses.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Here's Matty at Amy Kremer's event. Pushes the Big Lie right up front and keeps it up for the 17 minutes... ends with India's Modi's line,"They are not really coming for me, they are coming for you. I am just in the way"... which of course DL2XIT also stole. Looks like C-SPAN was there. Kept looking for Foggy in the audience, he was so close to riding a few thousand miles on the Women for Trump bus, and almost went to Amy's DC rally except he couldn't get a full hazmat suit in time...but maybe he wanted to be home so he wouldn't miss the titular Mama June & Road To Redemption. Tough choice.

Matt Gaetz speaks at pro-Trump women’s group event in Doral: I’m ‘not going anywhere’
By ANNIE MARTIN ORLANDO SENTINEL APR 09, 2021 AT 9:33 PM

U.S. Rep. Matt Gaetz, embroiled in scandal after it was reported recently he had been targeted by federal sex-trafficking investigation, continued to dismiss the accusations as “smears” and said he’s “not going anywhere” Friday, during an event with a conservative women’s group in Doral. The Panhandle congressman said he has the support of other Republicans, including former President Donald Trump, Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene of Georgia and Rep. Jim Jordan of Ohio. “This past week has been full of encouragement,” Gaetz said at Trump National Doral during a dinner event organized by Women for America First, which was largely responsible for organizing the rally that preceded a deadly attack on the U.S. Capitol in January.

Gaetz, who is under investigation by the U.S. Justice Department for allegations he had sex with a 17-year-old, was billed as the keynote speaker for the four-day “Save America Summit,” where Taylor Greene was expected to speak on Saturday. The department’s investigation into Gaetz reportedly emerged from a probe into former Seminole County Tax Collector Joel Greenberg, who is facing 33 federal charges, including child sex trafficking and fraud. On Thursday, Greenberg’s attorney said he will likely agree to a plea deal, which spurred speculation he could provide information about Gaetz to prosecutors, who are examining whether Gaetz and Greenberg paid underage girls or offered them gifts in exchange for sex, according to a report by the New York Times. Gaetz has denied the allegations, saying a former Air Force intelligence officer tried to extort his father, former Florida Senate President Don Gaetz.

The Congressman wrote in an op-ed published Monday in the Washington Examiner he is “absolutely not resigning.” He seemed to repeat that vow in his remarks on Friday. “I’m built for the battle and I’m not going anywhere,” Gaetz said. “The smears against me range from distortions of my personal life, to wild, and I mean, wild, conspiracy theories.” But the pressure on Gaetz intensified on Friday, as the House Ethics Committee said it has opened an investigation into reports of sexual and other misconduct by the Florida Republican.

“The committee is aware of public allegations that Representative Matt Gaetz may have engaged in sexual misconduct and/or illicit drug use, shared inappropriate images or videos on the House floor, misused state identification records, converted campaign funds to personal use, and/or accepted a bribe, improper gratuity, or impermissible gift, in violation of House Rules, laws, or other standards of conduct,” said Chairman Rep. Ted Deutsch, D-Fla., and ranking Republican Rep. Jackie Walorski of Indiana in a statement.

Gaetz started his 17-minute speech by declaring, “my amazing fiancée Ginger, I love you with all my heart and I can assure you, the best is indeed yet to come.” In addition to dismissing the allegations against him, he praised several women in his life, including his mother and district director. He also repeated several popular GOP talking points, including debunked claims about a “stolen” presidential election.

Gaetz’s remarks received a standing ovation from a group of a few dozen people who gathered at the outdoor event.

Bettina Langlais of Parker, Texas, said she thinks Gaetz is being targeted by Democrats who anticipate he will one day run for president.
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/politic ... story.html
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

Ironic that he is speaking to women knowing he is a pervert
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

Re: "successful:"

The general category is indeed "being able to accomplish the intended outcome," but... a successful serial killer? Con artist? Embezzler? "Success" carries an implied, but quite evident, positive value judgement.

Some rotten sons of bitches are remarkably good at what they do. Trump is one of them. He is good at slinging BS, conning the gullible, cheating at golf, pocketing other peoples' money... but calling it "success" doesn't feel quite right and is arguably inappropriate.

But there are words at hand in that category that carry no value, such as "effective," "accomplished" and "competent." And ones that hold negative value implications, like "virulent," "cunning" and "notorious."

Having a slippery time with a word like "success?" English usually gives one alternates.

I'm a pretty serious fan. :P
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

The event at which Matt Gaetz is speaking tonight was organized by Women for America First, one of the groups that organized the rallies that led to the January 6th insurrection.
@thereidout
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Jacob still has advice for Matty. No idea is the condo story is true.

JACOB WOHL, [10.04.21 13:52]

Jacob Matty.JPG
Jacob Matty.JPG (46.79 KiB) Viewed 2650 times

Congressman Gaetz should come to Project 1599 this weekend to take a polygraph and a drug test, followed by a press conference to clear the air on Monday.

JACOB WOHL, [10.04.21 14:37]

Matt Gaetz was busted for renting a condo from a lobbyist at a far below market rate. This is an old school tactic used by lobbyists to bribe politicians.

Following public reports of this scheme, he moved in to the apartment of a young woman who has now been interviewed by the FBI.

Gaetz has also spent more than $200K of taxpayer money to rent space from one of his longtime donors.

These arrangements, more than any involving his dating of young women, are the focus of legal scrutiny.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

sad-cafe wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:11 pm Ironic that he is speaking to women knowing he is a pervert
Photo op.

:bag:
Lani

Post by Lani »

sad-cafe wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:11 pm Ironic that he is speaking to women knowing he is a pervert
That's fake news. Commie cancel culturing lies.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
filly

Post by filly »

roadscholar wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:12 pm Re: "successful:"

The general category is indeed "being able to accomplish the intended outcome," but... a successful serial killer? Con artist? Embezzler? "Success" carries an implied, but quite evident, positive value judgement.

Some rotten sons of bitches are remarkably good at what they do. Trump is one of them. He is good at slinging BS, conning the gullible, cheating at golf, pocketing other peoples' money... but calling it "success" doesn't feel quite right and is arguably inappropriate.

But there are words at hand in that category that carry no value, such as "effective," "accomplished" and "competent." And ones that hold negative value implications, like "virulent," "cunning" and "notorious."

Having a slippery time with a word like "success?" English usually gives one alternates.

I'm a pretty serious fan. :P
But T**** was never a successful businessman. That was just a lie.

One who achieves an objective like representing a client toward their best outcome is, by definition, successful.

Too bad if folks don't like the word. It was correctly used when I said Mukasey was reasonably successful as a defense lawyer. I sincerely hope he won't have any success in his representation of Gaetz.
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

filly wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:19 pm
roadscholar wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:12 pm Re: "successful:"

:snippity:

But T**** was never a successful businessman. That was just a lie.

One who achieves an objective like representing a client toward their best outcome is, by definition, successful.

Too bad if folks don't like the word. It was correctly used when I said Mukasey was reasonably successful as a defense lawyer. I sincerely hope he won't have any success in his representation of Gaetz.
Indeed not. But the man is world-class effective at getting people to buy his bullshit. They watched his show, they elected him president, they suck up to him at Marbled Lardo, based on who he made them believe he was. When he wasn’t.

He suckered people into investing in his properties, buying his wines, enrolling in his bogus university. He managed to get banks to lend him hundreds of millions of $. That takes talent. But like an “accomplished pickpocket,” what he is really good at is loathsome in the extreme.

He excels at that which Lear’s daughter Cordelia described as

“....that glib and oily art,
To speak and purpose not....”
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

:rimshot:
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Lani

Post by Lani »

I meant the women don't think he's a pervert cuz lying Dems/Antifa/Fascists/etc.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

You seldom see people who are so creative at grifting
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Luke

Post by Luke »

Matty gets more love from SNL:

Lani

Post by Lani »

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left at the portrait of George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

:rotflmao:
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

The silent majority is growing louder?

My head hurts.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Slim Cognito wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:01 am The silent majority is growing louder?

My head hurts.
The voices in *his* head are getting louder, not yours.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Liz Cheney to CBS on Matt Gaetz: "As the mother of daughters, the charges certainly are sickening."
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Kendra wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:00 pm
Liz Cheney to CBS on Matt Gaetz: "As the mother of daughters, the charges certainly are sickening."
I agree that the charges are sickening. But you don’t have to be a mother, and you don’t have to have daughters, to be sickened by it. As a human being, the charges are sickening.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I can't express enough how much I hate that a Cheney has become the voice of reason in the GOP.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4

Return to “Worst of the Right-Wing Pieholes”