Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Matt Gaetz - Matthew Louis Gaetz II R-FL1 Bday May 7, 1982 Taurus / Dog & His Helper, Nestor Galban

These people suck. They are bad people.
filly

Re: Matthew "Matt" Louis Gaetz II R-FL1 "Soulless, Power-Hungry Ghoul" "Petulant Idiot" & His Helper, Nestor Galban

Post by filly »

Kendra wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:28 amOnly the best...
He's been fairly successful. It is, of course, easier to practice law when you have political connections, etc. But I don't think he's a "bad" lawyer.
Chilidog

Re: Matthew "Matt" Louis Gaetz II R-FL1 "Soulless, Power-Hungry Ghoul" "Petulant Idiot" & His Helper, Nestor Galban

Post by Chilidog »

WASHINGTON — Rep. Matt Gaetz is retaining two prominent New York attorneys as he faces a Justice Department investigation into sex trafficking allegations involving underage girls.

Marc Mukasey and Isabelle Kirshner will lead the Florida Republican's legal team, a Gaetz spokesperson said in a statement Friday.

“Matt has always been a fighter. A fighter for his constituents, a fighter for the country, and a fighter for the Constitution. He’s going to fight back against the unfounded allegations against him," the statement said, adding that the lawyers "will take the fight to those trying to smear his name with falsehoods.”
In other words, victim shaming?

https://www.wtsp.com/amp/article/news/n ... e5c11de7fe
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

filly wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:15 pm
He's been fairly successful. It is, of course, easier to practice law when you have political connections, etc. But I don't think he's a "bad" lawyer.
My bad. I just assume everyone attached to Trump & company are not the best :bag: :oopsy:
somerset

Post by somerset »

Yeah, from your article he seems to be a nasty piece of work, and rather good at it. Exactly the person Gaetz needs right now, but hopefully still not enough to keep him out of prison.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

I am reminded by this interesting thread that I don't seem to have the same definition of "successful" as many/most other people.

I grudgingly accept usages such as "successful murderer" as at least clear, but balk at (to use an extreme but illustrative example) usages such as "the former guy was a successful businessman" or "a successful negotiator" or "a successful developer."

One of my problems is the connection of the concept of "success" with activities that are fundamentally destructive and deceitful.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

p0rtia wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:20 pm I am reminded by this interesting thread that I don't seem to have the same definition of "successful" as many/most other people.

I grudgingly accept usages such as "successful murderer" as at least clear, but balk at (to use an extreme but illustrative example) usages such as "the former guy was a successful businessman" or "a successful negotiator" or "a successful developer."

One of my problems is the connection of the concept of "success" with activities that are fundamentally destructive and deceitful.
Off Topic
I tend to define “success” in terms of whether the person accomplished what they set out to accomplish, but you have to examine the context. That’s why successful murderer works, but successful developer or successful businessman don’t work. The latter two imply that there are others in the transaction who actually get paid and aren’t cheated out of their fair share.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
filly

Post by filly »

p0rtia wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:20 pm I am reminded by this interesting thread that I don't seem to have the same definition of "successful" as many/most other people.

So do you think there are no successful criminal defense lawyers? I am not using the word "success" to describe monetary gain but successful at representing their clients. You don't have to approve of their clients for them to be successful. Criminal defense lawyers do serve a critical role in our justice system.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

somerset wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:29 pm
Yeah, from your article he seems to be a nasty piece of work, and rather good at it. Exactly the person Gaetz needs right now, but hopefully still not enough to keep him out of prison.
Gaetz probably needs 2 things right now, a good lawyer, and

Hopefully, his new counsel has packed many rolls. They're gonna need it.
101010 :towel:
filly

Post by filly »

And yet Gaetz will be speaking at the Women's Sedition group tonight at Doral Country club.
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

It's taken this long for Matt to hire defense attorneys?

Yikes.

Perhaps he retained these attorneys just this week. I would have hired attorneys the minute I learned I was part of an investigation.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

filly wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:17 pm

So do you think there are no successful criminal defense lawyers? I am not using the word "success" to describe monetary gain but successful at representing their clients. You don't have to approve of their clients for them to be successful. Criminal defense lawyers do serve a critical role in our justice system.
In that context, success doesn’t necessarily equate to acquittal or reversal on appeal. As appellate defense counsel I can almost always find fault with something that happened at the trial level. It’s my job to look for those things. But I almost always lose - not because I’m bad at my job, or “unsuccessful” — but because most people actually got a fair trial. I think of myself as successful - I win the cases I ought to win and I lose the cases I ought to lose. For the most part. And for the cases I thought I should have won, well, all I can do is tell the appellate court what I think. I can’t make them agree with me.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

He probably thought he could make the Investigation go away with his mouth and intimidation.
Hic sunt dracones
filly

Post by filly »

LM K wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:35 pm It's taken this long for Matt to hire defense attorneys?

Yikes.

Perhaps he retained these attorneys just this week. I would have hired attorneys the minute I learned I was part of an investigation.
The only thing I've read was in a NYT article last night that named some guy with a rather generic name. The article did not state when he'd been hired nor did it say anything else about the lawyer. Apparently Gaetz decided he need a bigger "gun." We also do not know when he hired Mukasey.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

LM K wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:35 pm It's taken this long for Matt to hire defense attorneys?

Yikes.

Tumppettes have a bizarre sense of entitlement so they think they don't need legal assistance until it is late into the game. They believe they can do whatever they want, and even lie about it because, privilege (not just white privilege but conservative, right-wing, privilege because they are true patriots and a vast majority of America agrees with them, in their own mind).

When they realize that their privilege is not working, then they are victims of the left trying to take away their privilege.
101010 :towel:
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

northland10 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:41 pm

Yikes.

Tumppettes have a bizarre sense of entitlement so they think they don't need legal assistance until it is late into the game. They believe they can do whatever they want, and even lie about it because, privilege (not just white privilege but conservative, right-wing, privilege because they are true patriots and a vast majority of America agrees with them, in their own mind).

When they realize that their privilege is not working, then they are victims of the left trying to take away their privilege.

I think that they honestly believe that they have done nothing wrong, and that they, therefore, don't need a lawyer. "They can't prove I committed a crime, because I didn't commit a crime". Then, "Oops, maybe I'm going to need a lawyer, after all".

Certainly, the former guy, and probably Gaetz, as well, will go to their graves insisting that they never did anything wrong, even if they end up serving lengthy prison terms. And, they will honestly believe it, even if no one else does.
filly

Post by filly »

(Tom Reed (R-NY) is the alcoholic Congressman who allegedly groped a lobbyist in a bar. Supposedly he is going to run for Governor of NY).
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

That's a good example. No, I don't think a criminal defense lawyer who gets a murderer off (for example) should be described as having gotten a successful result. I don't consider that a "successful defense". I agree that it is a constitutional and necessary defense, and I have no problem with the lawyer's actions (short of any lawyers who might be acting unethically, obviously), but I would not use the word "successful" in this context. I would be happy to use it in a case where a defense lawyer successfully represented someone falsely accused.

If Chauvin were to be acquitted, I would not call his defense a success.

I recognize that it's largely a personal thing. And really nit-picky. But the older I get, the more I notice that people do not use words in the same ways.

I should start a threat about words.
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

p0rtia wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:58 pm

That's a good example. No, I don't think a criminal defense lawyer who gets a murderer off (for example) should be described as having gotten a successful result. I don't consider that a "successful defense". I agree that it is a constitutional and necessary defense, and I have no problem with the lawyer's actions (short of any lawyers who might be acting unethically, obviously), but I would not use the word "successful" in this context. I would be happy to use it in a case where a defense lawyer successfully represented someone falsely accused.

If Chauvin were to be acquitted, I would not call his defense a success.

I recognize that it's largely a personal thing. And really nit-picky. But the older I get, the more I notice that people do not use words in the same ways.

I should start a threat about words.
I see what you did there.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (248.47 KiB) Viewed 2161 times
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

Who is Tom Reed and how does he fit in this?
Lani

Post by Lani »

He's a GOP representative.
Reed, meanwhile, announced last month he would not see re-election following accusations from a former lobbyist that he had fondled her at a Minneapolis bar in 2017, and he apologized to his family and the lobbyist for his actions.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congre ... t-n1263685
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
somerset

Post by somerset »

sad-cafe wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:26 pm Who is Tom Reed and how does he fit in this?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/investig ... story.html

Similar crime, different sleaze-puppy.
Nicolette Davis said she was 25, on her first networking trip as a junior lobbyist for an insurance company, when she felt the 45-year-old congressman’s hand on her back. She and other lobbyists had gathered at an Irish pub in Minneapolis after a day of ice fishing, Davis told The Washington Post, and Rep. Tom Reed (R-N.Y) was seated to her left.

“A drunk congressman is rubbing my back,” she texted a friend and co-worker at Aflac that evening in 2017, adding later, “HELP HELP.”

Reed, his hand outside her blouse, briefly fumbled with her bra before unhooking it by pinching the clasp, Davis told The Post. He moved his hand to her thigh, inching upward, she said.

Frozen in fear, she said, she asked the person sitting to her right for help. He obliged by pulling the congressman away from the table and out of the restaurant, Davis said.
It probably doesn't help that he also looks like Don Rickles.
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

p0rtia wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:58 pm That's a good example. No, I don't think a criminal defense lawyer who gets a murderer off (for example) should be described as having gotten a successful result. I don't consider that a "successful defense". I agree that it is a constitutional and necessary defense, and I have no problem with the lawyer's actions (short of any lawyers who might be acting unethically, obviously), but I would not use the word "successful" in this context. I would be happy to use it in a case where a defense lawyer successfully represented someone falsely accused.
How do you tell the difference? You can’t always. Just because someone is charged doesn’t mean they’re guilty. That’s what the trial is for.

The lawyer’s job is to get the best result she can for her client. If, after holding the government’s feet to the fire, she’s able to either get the charges dismissed because of some violation in the part of the government, or she convinces a jury that the government has failed to prove its case beyond a reasonable doubt, she’s been successful in my view.

Return to “Worst of the Right-Wing Pieholes”