sad-cafe

Re: Rudy Giuliani

Post by sad-cafe »

Mr. Noun/verb/911

disgusts me and I want to see him lose it all
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

Has Rudy filed anything by the scheduled date?
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

woodworker wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:20 am Now that I think about, that really is the "Dream Team," at least from Dominion's perspective. Maybe Roodles, Powell, Wood and all the other defendants should just hire the same lawyers. After all, why pay for multiple sets of incompetence when you can do it just one and share the costs.
There is, of course, the old addage about the lawyer who represents himself and his client.

But what if The Ruddles hires Squidney to represent him, and then The Squid hired Ruddles? They would both have fools for a client, of course, but wouldn't they disappear up each other's backsides, like a post modern ouroboros?
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Uninformed wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:27 am Has Rudy filed anything by the scheduled date?
Isn't it due today?
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

Foggy wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:10 am
Uninformed wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:27 am Has Rudy filed anything by the scheduled date?
Isn't it due today?
The docket said by 04/07, so I suppose that could include up until midnight tonight - I would have thought “by” meant “before” 04/07 :waiting:

Edited so that it makes some kind of sense.
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left at the portrait of George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

keith wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:26 am
woodworker wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:20 am Now that I think about, that really is the "Dream Team," at least from Dominion's perspective. Maybe Roodles, Powell, Wood and all the other defendants should just hire the same lawyers. After all, why pay for multiple sets of incompetence when you can do it just one and share the costs.
There is, of course, the old addage about the lawyer who represents himself and his client.

But what if The Ruddles hires Squidney to represent him, and then The Squid hired Ruddles? They would both have fools for a client, of course, but wouldn't they disappear up each other's backsides, like a post modern ouroboros?
I know this wasn't serious, but in the interest of stating the obvious: Dominion would move to disqualify them as counsel on the basis of the overlapping litigation in which both of them could conceivably be called as witnesses. Clear conflicts of interest.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

“Giuliani asks court to throw out Dominion's $1.3 billion defamation suit”:
https://thehill.com/regulation/court-ba ... defamation
fierceredpanda
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

Joseph Sibley of the Austin, TX firm Camara & Sibley is representing. Never heard of him or the firm.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

Uninformed wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:32 pm “Giuliani asks court to throw out Dominion's $1.3 billion defamation suit”:
https://thehill.com/regulation/court-ba ... defamation
In the article, it said that Giuliani claimed that Dominion lacked standing, and that, as a corporation, they couldn't ask for more than lost revenue.

IANAL, so I don't have any idea if the latter claim is true. Even if it is, Dominion probably stands to lose several hundred million dollars because of Rudie's, Squidney's and Mike's lies. I suspect that Dominion never entertained any illusions about being awarded more than a billion dollars.

But, how can he argue that Dominion lacks standing? Clearly Dominion is the one who suffered damage due to his lies. Dominion can almost certainly provide proof that contracts that were already booked are being cancelled. There is one in Stark County (Canton), Ohio, right now. I'm sure that there are many others. That means that Dominion can demonstrate real damages, not just some vague claims about "damage to their reputation". Rudy's lies are costing them millions of dollars, possibly hundreds of millions.

It is my understanding that, to have standing, the plaintiff must prove that they are the one who was harmed, and that the harm was actual and specific. That is, the defendant's actions cost them money.

I think that Rudy's reluctance to repeat those lies, under oath, in a court of law, would be evidence that he knew that those statements were untrue, or at the very least, unproven.
fierceredpanda

Post by fierceredpanda »

I've only had time to skim and check who his attorney is, but Rudy's argument that Dominion doesn't have Article III standing is going to get laughed out of court.
bob

Post by bob »

Giuliani's standing argument is that "Dominion" actually is three separate entities. And that each entity failed to plead damages unique to it. Ergo, no specific claim of injury means no standing (says Giuliani Joe Sibley).
Image ImageImage
filly

Post by filly »

fierceredpanda wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:10 pm Joseph Sibley of the Austin, TX firm Camara & Sibley is representing. Never heard of him or the firm.
Me either. Another HLS product.
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

please god no
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
fierceredpanda

Post by fierceredpanda »

:rotflmao:

He'll get crushed.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

https://camarasibley.com/bio/
Joe Sibley
J.D., Harvard Law School
B.A., University of Texas at Austin
Joe is a trial and appellate lawyer who specializes in complex commercial disputes including breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, and intellectual property disputes such as trade secrets. In addition, he handles defamation cases, cases involving abuse of patients by therapists, and other select civil litigation matters.

Joe has also extensive experience with prosecuting and defending motions brought under the Texas Citizens’ Participation Act, which is the Texas Anti-SLAPP statute.

He has been interviewed by CBS, Fox News, and the Washington Post among other notable media outlets. View media coverage.

Joe’s Story
Joe is a native of Spring, Texas and graduate of Klein Oak High School. After high school, Joe served in the 2nd Ranger Battalion of the United States Army. After returning to Houston from the Army, Joe–the first person in his family to attend college–worked full time and attended night classes at North Harris County Community College (now known as Lone Star). While in night school, he took a philosophy class and then decided to pursue a degree in philosophy. He then transferred to the University of Texas at Austin where he earned a B.A. in philosophy. He then earned his J.D. from Harvard Law School.

Joe was named a Texas Rising Star by Texas Super Lawyers magazine multiple times, a Professional on the Fast Track by H Magazine, and one of Houston’s Best Lawyers by H Magazine in multiple years. Most importantly, however, he is revered by his clients. Read client testimonials.

Joe enjoys reading and discussing philosophy and history, is a poker enthusiast, is an avid Astros and Rockets fan, and enjoys taking trips with his family. Joe is a Christian.
Whew! Thought Joe might be a Moose Lamb.

Roodles and Joe are relying on Martin Marietta Corp. v. Evening Star Newspaper Co., 417 F. Supp. 947, 955 (D.D.C. 1976) https://law.justia.com/cases/federal/di ... 7/1455202/ Didn't know Roodles was a newspaper.

New comment from Dominion in a Bloomberg article:
Dominion attorney Megan Meier, of Clare Locke LLP, said in an emailed statement that Giuliani’s attempt to dismiss the suit contradicts his previous pledges that he would back up his voting-fraud claims.

“Giuliani said he wanted to present the ‘evidence’ for his defamatory statements about Dominion, but now he’s trying to avoid a trial and still offering no evidence at all,” Meier said. “Dominion will continue to pursue accountability for Giuliani in a court of law.”
\https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ion-claims

Yeah, what about that? Roodles, Lindell, Squidney were SO EXCITED for DISCOVERY and to back up their claims!! What happened? :lol:

The case is Dominion v. Giuliani, 21-cv-213, U.S. District Court, District of Columbia (Washington).
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
fierceredpanda

Post by fierceredpanda »

Served in the 75th Ranger Regiment (2d Ranger Battalion is a component of the 75th), then went to Harvard Law School, now repping Rudy in court.

This guy is basically cribbing his whole life from Tom Cotton's CV.

I'm more or less convinced that Sterngard, Barack Obama, and Elena Kagan are the only decent people to come out of HLS. But then, I have a very well-documented resentment against Ivy League lawyers generally, and especially those who think that they are the reincarnation by mere virtue of having a degree from a fancy school and literally nothing else.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Wow, Giulianni's sun is Eric Trump's brother my another Mother. Another contestent for the Butthead lookalike competition.
Hic sunt dracones
woodworker

Post by woodworker »

orlylicious wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:08 pm https://camarasibley.com/bio/
Joe Sibley
J.D., Harvard Law School
B.A., University of Texas at Austin
Joe is a trial and appellate lawyer who specializes in complex commercial disputes including breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, and intellectual property disputes such as trade secrets. In addition, he handles defamation cases, cases involving abuse of patients by therapists, and other select civil litigation matters.

Joe has also extensive experience with prosecuting and defending motions brought under the Texas Citizens’ Participation Act, which is the Texas Anti-SLAPP statute.

He has been interviewed by CBS, Fox News, and the Washington Post among other notable media outlets. View media coverage.

Joe’s Story
Joe is a native of Spring, Texas and graduate of Klein Oak High School. After high school, Joe served in the 2nd Ranger Battalion of the United States Army. After returning to Houston from the Army, Joe–the first person in his family to attend college–worked full time and attended night classes at North Harris County Community College (now known as Lone Star). While in night school, he took a philosophy class and then decided to pursue a degree in philosophy. He then transferred to the University of Texas at Austin where he earned a B.A. in philosophy. He then earned his J.D. from Harvard Law School.

Joe was named a Texas Rising Star by Texas Super Lawyers magazine multiple times, a Professional on the Fast Track by H Magazine, and one of Houston’s Best Lawyers by H Magazine in multiple years. Most importantly, however, he is revered by his clients. Read client testimonials.

Joe enjoys reading and discussing philosophy and history, is a poker enthusiast, is an avid Astros and Rockets fan, and enjoys taking trips with his family. Joe is a Christian.
Whew! Thought Joe might be a Moose Lamb.

Roodles and Joe are relying on Martin Marietta Corp. v. Evening Star Newspaper Co., 417 F. Supp. 947, 955 (D.D.C. 1976) https://law.justia.com/cases/federal/di ... 7/1455202/ Didn't know Roodles was a newspaper.

New comment from Dominion in a Bloomberg article:
Dominion attorney Megan Meier, of Clare Locke LLP, said in an emailed statement that Giuliani’s attempt to dismiss the suit contradicts his previous pledges that he would back up his voting-fraud claims.

“Giuliani said he wanted to present the ‘evidence’ for his defamatory statements about Dominion, but now he’s trying to avoid a trial and still offering no evidence at all,” Meier said. “Dominion will continue to pursue accountability for Giuliani in a court of law.”
\https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ion-claims

Yeah, what about that? Roodles, Lindell, Squidney were SO EXCITED for DISCOVERY and to back up their claims!! What happened? :lol:

The case is Dominion v. Giuliani, 21-cv-213, U.S. District Court, District of Columbia (Washington).

Not being an HLS alumnus (merely Boalt Hall 91), I may not completely understand Martin Marietta, but as I read it, the biggest takeaway is that a corporation has to prove actual malice, the New York Times standard. The bit about actual economic damages seems to me to be dicta and unnecessary for the holding in Martin Marietta and I have no idea about whether that is actually the law currently.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Dr. Ken wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:50 pm

please god no
Isn't that Gaetz' jacket?
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Sure.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

So, corporations are “people” for purposes of political donations, but not when it comes to defamation cases?

How... convenient.
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
SlimSloSlider

Post by SlimSloSlider »

“Joe Sibley is a poker enthusiast”

Yeah, and he’s holding a busted flush in Rudy’s case.
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

A poker fart
Atticus Finch

Post by Atticus Finch »

SlimSloSlider wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:35 pm “Joe Sibley is a poker enthusiast”

How do you play poker when you are representing the joker.
You don't need religion to have morals. If you can't determine right from wrong then you lack empathy, not religion.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Atticus Finch wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:17 pm
SlimSloSlider wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:35 pm “Joe Sibley is a poker enthusiast”

How do you play poker when you are representing the joker.
I think Rudy may be playing a drinking variant of President.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/President_(card_game)
101010 :towel:

Return to “Worst of the Right-Wing Pieholes”