New Diseases - Coronavirus

Whatever4

Re: New Diseases - Coronavirus

Post by Whatever4 »

AndyinPA wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:38 pm Yes, my husband got off with a pretty mild case because I recognized the rash immediately. Got right into the doctor's, got a prescription immediately. He still had a few semi-miserable weeks, but it never got awful.
W2 got shingles on his back while I was in for a knee replacement. A month of shingles pain (felt like a fresh bullet wound, searing pain he said) plus 18 months of Postherpetic neuralgia.

The meme going around saying viruses can cause hide and cause long-term problems hit home for us. It’s not just Covid-19, it’s the unknown future. HIV, HPV, chicken pox. Wear the damn mask. Stay the fuck away.

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

Whatever4 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:45 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:38 pm Yes, my husband got off with a pretty mild case because I recognized the rash immediately. Got right into the doctor's, got a prescription immediately. He still had a few semi-miserable weeks, but it never got awful.
W2 got shingles on his back while I was in for a knee replacement. A month of shingles pain (felt like a fresh bullet wound, searing pain he said) plus 18 months of Postherpetic neuralgia.

The meme going around saying viruses can cause hide and cause long-term problems hit home for us. It’s not just Covid-19, it’s the unknown future. HIV, HPV, chicken pox. Wear the damn mask. Stay the fuck away.
Measles, too. All the idiots not vaccinating their kids against measles apparently don't care that measles can have all kinds of fun subsequent effects, up to and including subacute sclerosing panencephalitis, a/k/a Dawson's disease. It's fatal if untreated.

"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

fierceredpanda wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:31 am
Whatever4 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:45 pm

Measles, too. All the idiots not vaccinating their kids against measles apparently don't care that measles can have all kinds of fun subsequent effects, up to and including subacute sclerosing panencephalitis, a/k/a Dawson's disease. It's fatal if untreated.
Seems like we would have learned our lesson with polio anyway.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

How are FL, OK, and TX in the green?
E1CCFFA5-BF8E-4E8C-971A-6D58E3C7E761.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

pipistrelle wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:43 am How are FL, OK, and TX in the green?
FL and OK are estimated at .99, TX at .94 -- but there is a range/MoE that the actual number may be above 1.

Too also, maybe because there are hot-spot areas in those states where the Rt is above 1 and other parts of those states where it is below 1 it ends up averaged out. County level estimates would be better, imho.

Slim Cognito
Location: Home to gators, pythons and now trump. trump is the only one that scares me.

Post by Slim Cognito »

If more people are wearing masks, and I believe they are, it should start dropping, right? I keep reading, if people (all people) would wear masks or social distance, we could get through this in 4-6 weeks.

Of course, if these same assholes had just done this four months ago, we'd already be through the worst of it. And I'd be going to Comicon in a few weeks.

ImageImageImage x4
jmj

Post by jmj »

pipistrelle wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:43 am How are FL, OK, and TX in the green?E1CCFFA5-BF8E-4E8C-971A-6D58E3C7E761.jpeg
The Rt just indicates whether new infections are rising exponentially or not. It doesn't say anything about the magnitude of the outbreak. Last week Florida was averaging 11,000+ new cases per day. This week so far it's averaging around 10,500. So there's still a ton of new cases, but it's (currently) on a slight downward trend. Presumably people are finally realizing that it's serious and are taking some additional steps to socially distance and wear masks.

On the other hand, the Miami Marlins just announced that 14 of their players tested positive after just the third game of the restarted MLB season.

Slim Cognito
Location: Home to gators, pythons and now trump. trump is the only one that scares me.

Post by Slim Cognito »

Made my weekly trek into the wild for supplies. I definitely am seeing more masks. Saw one maskless person at Publix, which is supposed to be requiring masks now but nooooooooo......

Last stop was at a Dollar Tree and everyone was masked. That is, until a fairly large group of boys, ages 8ish to 14ish came in soaking wet from the pool, I'm guessing, at the gated community next to the strip mall. No masks, running around the store as young, unsupervised boys tend to do, got right behind me in line, until I gave them the evil eye and they backed away as i moved around the corner and stood where a bagger usually stands. (Hubs is the king of crazy eyes and he taught me well).

I do not envy cashiers right now. Well, I never did, but I sure as hell don't now. I also don't want to think what's being spread around that pool.

ImageImageImage x4
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Post by Dr. Kenneth Noisewater »

Didn't know where to put this. Hidden within the new coronavirus relief bill is funding for a new FBI HQ in DC. You may recall earlier in the administration Trump cancelled a FBI HQ project because he was worried that a rival hotel developer would buy the old property and build a competing hotel on it.

In other words, one of the reasons GOP officials still can't produce an aid package is that Team Trump wants to see a provision in the bill related to the FBI’s headquarters. What does this have to do with keeping the economy afloat during a pandemic? Not much, but the White House reportedly has made it a priority anyway.

In fact, at yesterday's press briefing, a reporter specifically asked the president whether this is one of the things holding up the bill. Donald Trump delivered a rather long answer, but he didn't deny the Post's reporting.

The president said the bureau needs a new building, but he wants the FBI to remain at its current location. "There’s nothing better than the [existing] site," Trump claimed. He added that he'd like to see an "incredible" new headquarters, in the same spot, complete with a running track on the roof "because FBI people like to work out a lot."
https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-sho ... n-n1234802

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

Humor me. Where is the FBI going to work while their old building is torn down and the new one built?

ImageImageImage x4
much ado

Post by much ado »

Slim Cognito wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:07 pm Humor me. Where is the FBI going to work while their old building is torn down and the new one built?
New building will be on new site.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

This video has been making the rounds today. It was finally banned on facebook after about 8 hours. By then it had over 18 million views. Obvious astroturf group. I did a whois on the website of this group. It was founded 12 days ago. The doctors listed don't seem to have any virology experience and the main one doing the talking is known more for being a preacher than a doctor:

astroturf.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

much ado wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:11 pm
Slim Cognito wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:07 pm Humor me. Where is the FBI going to work while their old building is torn down and the new one built?
New building will be on new site.
The president said the bureau needs a new building, but he wants the FBI to remain at its current location. "There’s nothing better than the [existing] site," Trump claimed. He added that he'd like to see an "incredible" new headquarters, in the same spot, complete with a running track on the roof "because FBI people like to work out a lot."
That sounds to me like it will be on the same site. I thought the whole reason was to keep it in the same place so to land couldn't be reused for a new, competing hotel.

fierceredpanda
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

Sugar Magnolia wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:01 am
That sounds to me like it will be on the same site. I thought the whole reason was to keep it in the same place so to land couldn't be reused for a new, competing hotel.
That's exactly right, Sugar. And Senate Republicans don't sound happy about this being included in the relief package. Even Trump's loyal terrier Lindsey Graham was quoted yesterday about it being inappropriate.

It would be much cheaper for the FBI to build a headquarters out in the Virginia suburbs. But Trump keeps insisting that they need to be close to the Justice Department, which is really not true at all. It's just the best excuse he can think of, because he knows enough to know that saying "redeveloping that land would kill my hotel" would be very bad.

"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:02 pm This video has been making the rounds today. It was finally banned on facebook after about 8 hours. By then it had over 18 million views. Obvious astroturf group. I did a whois on the website of this group. It was founded 12 days ago. The doctors listed don't seem to have any virology experience and the main one doing the talking is known more for being a preacher than a doctor:

astroturf.jpg
Don Jr. got temporarily suspended for sharing this video:

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

fierceredpanda wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:33 am
Sugar Magnolia wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:01 am
That's exactly right, Sugar. And Senate Republicans don't sound happy about this being included in the relief package. Even Trump's loyal terrier Lindsey Graham was quoted yesterday about it being inappropriate.

It would be much cheaper for the FBI to build a headquarters out in the Virginia suburbs. But Trump keeps insisting that they need to be close to the Justice Department, which is really not true at all. It's just the best excuse he can think of, because he knows enough to know that saying "redeveloping that land would kill my hotel" would be very bad.
That's how I understood it and I'd still like to hear from trump where he thinks the bureau will be working while their building is torn down and the new one built. Tents? Maybe he thinks they'll rent space from him across the street.

Not that I think it will be in the final bill. Nancy has no fucks left to give, as least regarding trump's childish antics.

ImageImageImage x4
fierceredpanda

Post by fierceredpanda »

Slim Cognito wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:15 am Not that I think it will be in the final bill. Nancy has no fucks left to give, as least regarding trump's childish antics.
Well, I think the Republicans (and certainly the Trump Administration) are making the following calculation regarding some of the awfulness in McConnell's proposal (looking at you, massive corporate liability shield and slashed unemployment):

Everything that happens now is potentially important electorally in November. If Pelosi and Hill Democrats are willing to shoot down the Republican proposal, which includes more $1,200 checks for everyone, Republicans will be running ads in swing states about how Democrats took that money out of your pocket to advance their left-wing agenda of socializing everything, giving more money to lazy people who don't work as hard as you do, and stopping the FBI from having nice things. Fair? Hardly. Good political strategy? Perhaps.

Don't get me wrong: I think the Republicans are making a strategic mistake. Maybe it's too late to correct it, but their response to COVID should have been to throw money at the problem and take charge of it. If you're the governing party, your job is to, you know, govern. But the GOP as currently constituted is much more interested in owning the libs and ensuring that Democrats cannot govern than actually governing the country.

(As an interesting side note: Assuming Biden wins, I'm very curious to see if, say, The Squad, are actually up to the job of governing responsibly - with all the compromises and incremental steps that entails - rather than just opposing Trump and promising the left wing of the Democratic Party absolutely everything they want all the time. I rather doubt it, because the electoral math for them favors trolling Republicans and staking out extreme positions just as much as it does for GOP congresscritters in deep red districts. But I'm willing to be persuaded otherwise.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

I'm also concerned about holding up the stimulus checks, but if enough *concerned* republicans also think the FBI thing is irresponsible....

Oh, who the hell knows anymore. This isn't just the upside-down, it's the inside-out and whopper-jawed.

ImageImageImage x4
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Just an overseas IMHO: the FBI building may be a bartering position at this point. But this FBI new hq project is so large and comlex that not much movement will be going on in the next six months. There is sufficient time to stop the project in an early phase, eg durng the planning of where to relocate all the staff in the current building, and redesign at a new location (plans may be all around and ready to use by the Deep State), rededicating the current offices to something esle later on. Not necessary to sell it off as individual-1 sees it as the only option.

Frater I*I

Post by Frater I*I »

Well that's interesting, when I was in DC back in OCT of 17, we couldn't visit the FBI building for a tour because it was being renovated, sooooo why are they tearing down a recently renovated building? :think:
Off Topic
Also when I was there we couldn't go into the Washington Monument because it needed extensive repairs, had been closed since mid 16, and was waiting for a private donor to make them and would reopen in mid 18. Fed money to tear down and rebuild a newly renovated building, but none to take care of our national monuments? Don't even get me started on the condition of the rest of them in the area.

Gazer Into the SovCit Abyss
Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Nick Riccardi
@NickRiccardi
·
6h
76% of covid survivors in one study (2/3 of whom were never hospitalized) hearts were damaged as if they’d had a heart attack

https://t.co/srvAtIcEJV?amp=1
:? The world will be a much sicker place going forward.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/07 ... o-thin-air
How Jared Kushner’s Secret Testing Plan “Went Poof Into Thin Air”
This spring, a team working under the president's son-in-law produced a plan for an aggressive, coordinated national COVID-19 response that could have brought the pandemic under control. So why did the White House spike it in favor of a shambolic 50-state response?
Do read.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

The Associated Press
@AP
·
2m
Some doctors are now trying to deliver 100% oxygen to COVID patients in decompression chambers long used to treat divers with the bends.

https://t.co/GoxQZUcpRq?amp=1

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

Kendra wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:49 pm https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/07 ... o-thin-air
How Jared Kushner’s Secret Testing Plan “Went Poof Into Thin Air”
This spring, a team working under the president's son-in-law produced a plan for an aggressive, coordinated national COVID-19 response that could have brought the pandemic under control. So why did the White House spike it in favor of a shambolic 50-state response?
Do read.
Depressing and infuriating.

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine
Lani

Post by Lani »

Volkonski wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:49 pm
Nick Riccardi
@NickRiccardi
·
6h
76% of covid survivors in one study (2/3 of whom were never hospitalized) hearts were damaged as if they’d had a heart attack

https://t.co/srvAtIcEJV?amp=1
:? The world will be a much sicker place going forward.
Also people who had no or "mild" symptoms.

On March 2, I had a pre-surgery x-ray that cleared me, but 2 days later a specialist was worry about an enlarged area, possibly inflamed. However, I had already flown home. And I was very weak and had stopped eating. Then travel shut down, and I became seriously ill. So blah blah blah, went to doctor, didn't get tested because I didn't cough and I had an oxygen level of 100%, but had lost about 9% of my weight and also short term memory. Things got a lot worse. I eventually got better, flights reopened, and I flew back for an MRI. Lungs were still good, but oxygen was 96-98 and I did have an enlarged aorta, but now very minor. On aspirin, watching blood pressure from home. (177 when I went to the doctor in March.) The MRI got me the antibody test, but almost 4 months after onset. Negative, as expected. Now dx'd with post viral syndrome, as are many people with post-covid problems. Some countries report it as myalgic encephalomyelitis.

I suspect that many people who are declared recovered are coping with lives that are now very different.

Return to “Coronavirus”