New Diseases - Coronavirus

Jeffrey

Re: New Diseases - Coronavirus

Post by Jeffrey »

I assume it was a joke but public transportation is shut down which some people have pointed out makes the lockdown disproportionately harsh on the poor.

SLQ

Post by SLQ »

Yes, Stern, and I was curious about post 2/2 of the thread posted above. Here it is (with post 1/2 added for completeness):
This thread is stunning. The lead French investigator and team behind that non-randomized chloroquine paper has a history of faking data and being banned from journal publications. But there's more... (1/2)

the lead investigator of the study that was published in the "peer reviewed" journal (after one day of review) is also… the Editor in Chief of that journal. (2/2)
citing
There is a great need for accelerated publication of papers on #COVID19 studies.
But if a preprint is available, peer review should not be done within 1 day, esp. if author is Editor in Chief of journal. This is not proper science.
https://pubpeer.com/publications/E09AC9 ... 71FBA6DD7B
Sekrit Stuffs!
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Stephen Curry and Anthony Fauci chatted on Instagram. Thousands watched, including Barack Obama.

With no NBA games happening in the near future, Stephen Curry filled his free time Thursday with a little citizen journalism. The three-time NBA champion interviewed Anthony S. Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, in front of an audience of about 50,000 viewers — including former president Barack Obama — who tuned in to hear the question-and-answer session on Instagram Live.

Like many people working from home these days, Curry initially had a few technical difficulties with the video chat. Then he and Fauci shared a chuckle about the portable basketball hoop in Fauci’s office. Then Curry slid into interview mode.
Brewer: Amid pandemic, New Orleans pastor uses Zion Williamson to lift a virtual congregation

The pair covered basic questions about the novel coronavirus pandemic, plainly discussing everything from how covid-19 is different from the flu to how experts are determining when large gatherings can resume.

After Fauci answered a question about how important it is for young people to practice social distancing even if they feel healthy, Curry explained why he wanted to speak with the 79-year-old expert, who is who is among those leading the Trump administration’s response to the pandemic. Fauci, in addition to his regular appearances at White House press briefings, has been making the rounds lately. Last week he appeared on “Pardon My Take,” a popular Barstool Sports podcast.

“That’s really one of the reasons that I wanted to have this Q&A, to hopefully reach a different demographic or people that are interested in the facts of what’s going on,” Curry said. “You see all the different visuals of people at the beach and parks, crazy public gatherings, and not really adhering to that social distancing concept.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... ack-obama/

That Mooslem Kenyan guy sure knows how to troll Trump.
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

jemcanada

Post by jemcanada »

Jeffrey wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:27 pm
I assume it was a joke but public transportation is shut down which some people have pointed out makes the lockdown disproportionately harsh on the poor.
The transit system in my city is still running, but the fares have been waived at this time. You have to get on the bus through the rear door and the seats at the front of the bus are closed off. There are hardly any passengers as everyone is taking this social distancing and staying at home seriously. I’ve only been on the bus twice in two weeks. Once to go grocery shopping and once to go to the bank. Usually I’m standing on the bus with 100 of my closest friends. :lol:

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... story.html
Washington Gov. Jay Inslee (D) clashed with President Trump during a conference call with governors on Thursday, pleading with him to take more dramatic action to secure medical supplies for his state as it suffers from the coronavirus pandemic, according to four people familiar with the call.

After Trump told governors that his administration was ready to be the “backup” for states in crisis, Inslee spoke up and said to the president, “We don’t need a backup. We need a Tom Brady,” a reference to the Super Bowl-winning quarterback who has been friendly with the president, said the people familiar with the exchange with the president, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe the private conference call.

Inslee, they added, also alluded to the Defense Production Act and said Washington state needs businesses to be more than encouraged to produce items such as masks and ventilators — they need a federal mandate to force them to act. He said the Pentagon needed to make immediate moves to prod defense companies to provide materials. And he spoke with urgency about the situation in nursing homes. A nursing home in Kirkland, Wash., has been associated with at least 37 deaths from the coronavirus.

SLQ

Post by SLQ »

jemcanada wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:07 pm
Jeffrey wrote:
The transit system in my city is still running, but the fares have been waived at this time. You have to get on the bus through the rear door and the seats at the front of the bus are closed off. There are hardly any passengers as everyone is taking this social distancing and staying at home seriously. I’ve only been on the bus twice in two weeks. Once to go grocery shopping and once to go to the bank. Usually I’m standing on the bus with 100 of my closest friends. :lol:
The transit system in Seattle is still running. It's also still running in Flagstaff, AZ, where the bus drivers are driving around busloads of homeless people who are riding because they have nowhere to go during the day. Not healthy.
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Teh Donald in all his glory --- he has the greatest numbers :!: :blackeye:
The U.S. now leads the world in confirmed coronavirus cases.

Scientists warned that the United States someday would become the country hardest hit by the coronavirus pandemic. That moment arrived on Thursday.

In the United States, at least 81,321 people are known to have been infected with the coronavirus, including more than 1,000 deaths — more cases than China, Italy or any other country has seen, according to data gathered by The New York Times.

With 330 million residents, the United States is the world’s third most populous nation, meaning it provides a vast pool of people who can potentially get Covid-19, the disease caused by the virus.

And it is a sprawling, cacophonous democracy, where states set their own policies and President Trump has sent mixed messages about the scale of the danger and how to fight it, ensuring there was no coherent, unified response to a grave public health threat.

A series of missteps and lost opportunities dogged the nation’s response.

part of https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/26/worl ... -news.html

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Trump rebuffs a governor’s plea for more forceful federal action.

President Trump suggested to Gov. Jay Inslee of Washington State on a conference call Thursday that the federal government had already done a great deal for Mr. Inslee’s state and rebuffed his plea for a more forceful response to the coronavirus outbreak, according to two officials familiar with the conversation.

On a call with other governors, Mr. Inslee urged Mr. Trump to take more aggressive steps to mobilize private-sector manufacturers to produce critically-needed supplies to respond to the virus, the two officials said. But the president has largely resisted using the Defense Production Act, which gives the government the authority to force companies to produce equipment in national demand — and suggested on the call that the federal government had already offered significant aid to the state of Washington, which was initially the center of the outbreak in the U.S.

A third person familiar with what was said on the call said that Mr. Inslee didn’t specifically invoke the Defense Production Act, but asked why the federal government could not do more to move companies, noting that states were reaching out to them themselves.

part of https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/26/worl ... -news.html

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

Fauci is older than Biden.

Excellent first person account of what happens when you get it...

Used that unroller thing, link is https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1243 ... 01024.html

Eliza Shapiro
‏Verified account @elizashapiro

I was mildly sick for a few days w/ covid symptoms. Then my 29 yr old healthy boyfriend got really sick. 13 days later, after a relentless fever, awful nausea, pneumonia in both lungs + a reluctant trip to ER, he is finally turning a corner today. Some things I learned:
7:21 PM - 26 Mar 2020

What you've heard about Mighty Spork is true. Don't miss The Fogbow's Favourite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: Family Crisis!" Fri 9/8c. TVShowsAce featured Fogbow's love 5/26/20: https://bit.ly/2TNxrbS

jemcanada

Post by jemcanada »

SLQ wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:14 pm
jemcanada wrote:
Jeffrey wrote:
The transit system in Seattle is still running. It's also still running in Flagstaff, AZ, where the bus drivers are driving around busloads of homeless people who are riding because they have nowhere to go during the day. Not healthy.
There were complaints that some people are just riding around on the bus because they’re bored. :bored: :bored:

tek

Post by tek »

As I am rapidly learning, the amount of bullshit in the way of getting things done is phenomenal...

I have read about this in the run up to WWII, but I now get to experience it first-hand.

The good news is that, at the low levels below TVdar, there is a lot of good happening..
There's no way back
from there to here

jemcanada

Post by jemcanada »

C9950470-3E7C-4B41-A43C-A3C6617EE47E.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Somerset

Post by Somerset »

jemcanada wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:46 pm
SLQ wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:14 pm
jemcanada wrote:

There were complaints that some people are just riding around on the bus because they’re bored. :bored: :bored:
I see that here too. Now that fares are waived because you can't access the fare box/card reader at the front of the busses, homeless folks are riding the light rail and busses more than usual. They're kinda militant about their right to be obnoxious, so it's making public transportation harder and more dangerous to use.

Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Germany is now telling its citizens in the US to get out ASAP.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

I note that West Virginia went from no cases and the governor downplaying the virus to 52 cases and a state-wide lockdown, I think within a week or so.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB »

pipistrelle wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:28 pm
I note that West Virginia went from no cases and the governor downplaying the virus to 52 cases and a state-wide lockdown, I think within a week or so.
No test kits = No known cases of C-19.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

So much winning! The US is beating China in the number of infected. Go Team USA!!!

And with Florida in the wings, we're gonna crush the scoreboard!!!!!

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

ZekeB wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:02 pm
pipistrelle wrote:
Now 76 cases. That was quick.

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Saw a woman on twitter, after laughing about NYC and someone said that Florida was the next centre of infection, gloating that Florida had a "flat curve" over the last few days. I guess its hard to have a curve if you don't bother testing, huh?
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.

Turtle

Post by Turtle »

pipistrelle wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:15 pm
ZekeB wrote:
pipistrelle wrote:
They have a cluster in a nursing home. I think around 20 people there tested positive.

Turtle

Post by Turtle »

This strategy doesn't seem well thought out. In a week they're gonna need 30,000 ventilators in LA, MI and TX.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

pipistrelle wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:15 pm
ZekeB wrote:
pipistrelle wrote:
They weren't testing while the virus spread silently. Now people showing up at hospitals forces testing.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

ABC News
@ABC
·
1m
NEW: Immigrations and Customs Enforcement detainees must be immediately released from county jails where cases of novel coronavirus have been confirmed, a federal judge in New York ordered Thursday night.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Houston sewer overflow reports double during COVID-19 crisis

https://abc13.com/6052681/?ex_cid=TA_KT ... ce=twitter
HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) -- Public works officials are asking people to be mindful what they're flushing down the toilet due to problems down in the sewers.

Houston Public Works says sanitary sewer overflows have doubled since people started bulking up on toilet paper.

While public works crews understand and appreciate the use of wipes and disinfecting surfaces with paper towels, they want people to remember that those items can't be flushed down the toilets because they clog the sewer system. Even flushable wipes don't break down well in pipes.

Crews say they only thing you should be flushing down the toilet is toilet paper.

Return to “Coronavirus”