New Diseases - Coronavirus

Frater I*I

Re: New Diseases - Coronavirus

Post by Frater I*I »

AndyinPA wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:43 pm
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/3 ... #read-more
For reasons that aren't exactly clear, health care workers appear to be getting hit more severely by the coronavirus than those who contract it in the general population, according to CNN.

"We know the high mortality in older people, but for reasons that we don't understand, front-line health care workers are at great risk for serious illness despite their younger age," Dr. Peter Hotez, professor and dean of the National School of Tropical Medicine at Baylor College of Medicine, told the news channel Monday during an appearance.
I also heard that men get the disease and die of it more than women. Has anyone else heard this?

It was apparently true in China and was blamed on men smoking more. But it's proving to be true across the world. Can't remember where I heard this.
It was a report out of Italy if I recall correctly...
Gazer Into the SovCit Abyss

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Karma baby.

Lou Dobbs is in self-quarantine after one of his team members tested positive for COVID-19

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Jeffrey wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:25 pm
Tots and Prayers.

Just pray harder, Mr. VP. Screw science, like you did in Indiana.

:violin:
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Pence looks exhausted. There are actual wrinkles!
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.
- https://legaldictionary.net/19th-amendment/

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

tek

Post by tek »

From daughter.tek:
Might be spending my weekend sewing masks - I guess hospitals are now calling for handmade since it's better than nothing and they're all out
There's no way back
from there to here

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Just turned on AC360. Anderson Cooper is self quarantining, and broadcasting from home.

Lani

Post by Lani »

Before 11am yesterday, there were 22 confirmed cases. Just before noon today - 37.

DOH admits that it would only test the most obviously ill people due to limited test kits. Now that private labs are upping the number the tests, numbers are rising quickly.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Post by Dr. Kenneth Noisewater »

and the smearing of Dr. Fauci has begun:

tek

Post by tek »

yes of course.
If you don't bow to our leader, you must vanish.

seriously, nobody is arguing about Dr Fauci's cred.. if anything, people are concerned about how he's maybe bending his words to fit Trump's storyline..
There's no way back
from there to here

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

AndyinPA wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:43 pm
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/3 ... #read-more
For reasons that aren't exactly clear, health care workers appear to be getting hit more severely by the coronavirus than those who contract it in the general population, according to CNN.

"We know the high mortality in older people, but for reasons that we don't understand, front-line health care workers are at great risk for serious illness despite their younger age," Dr. Peter Hotez, professor and dean of the National School of Tropical Medicine at Baylor College of Medicine, told the news channel Monday during an appearance.
I also heard that men get the disease and die of it more than women. Has anyone else heard this?

It was apparently true in China and was blamed on men smoking more. But it's proving to be true across the world. Can't remember where I heard this.
https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/2020022 ... rs-smokers

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

neonzx wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:50 pm
Jeffrey wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:25 pm
Tots and Prayers.

Just pray harder, Mr. VP. Screw science, like you did in Indiana.

:violin:
Everyone of them has a flat affect. They know this is bullshit.
ImageImageImage x4

Turtle

Post by Turtle »

friday night news dump

“Donald Trump may not have been expecting this, but a lot of other people in the government were — they just couldn't get him to do anything about it,” this official said. ‘The system was blinking red.’”

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

Bill Mitchell is raging. (Tweeted before I saw Dr. Ken's post)

Now Bill Mitchell 🤡 thinks that Dr. Anthony Stephen Fauci is... a Hillary Clinton plant. Fauci advised 6 Presidents on HIV/AIDS and many health issues. "Is Fauci a Hillary plant?"- Bill Mitchell

Mitchell Fauci.JPG

* Wow, cool if Twitter icons work 🤡
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hey! Don't miss The Fogbow's Favourite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: From Not To Hot -- Family Crisis!" Fri 9/8c. TVShowsAce featured Fogbow's love 5/26/20: https://bit.ly/2TNxrbS

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Turtle wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:38 pm
friday night news dump
An atypical Friday night news dump. We are ALL home watching it unfold.
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

DZ Bill

Post by DZ Bill »

Sorry I havent been around guys. I'm working response with my state and the emergency coordinator for my school district anyhow this is shaping up to be a defining moment in American and World history.

We are two to three months out from being able to tell people it's safe to go back to work at a minimum....there is chatter that we may be doing distance learning into next school year...well that's if people can maintain that long without burning down all the infrastructure.

Been a bleak couple weeks and we have a long way to go. Everybody stay safe.

Addie

Post by Addie »

NBC News: 'This system is doomed': Doctors, nurses sound off in NBC News coronavirus survey

More than 250 health care workers responded to a social media survey seeking first-person accounts from those on the front lines of the coronavirus pandemic.
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

Lani

Post by Lani »

Crikey. I posted this too fast, while saying good-by to coworkers and packing up my office, and wondering what life will be like when I return.

The correct statement is: 11 cases at 11 am yesterday, 37 cases confirmed at noon today. More than tripled in 25 hours. :(
Lani wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:06 pm
Before 11am yesterday, there were 22 confirmed cases. Just before noon today - 37.

:snippity:

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford »

Danraft wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:54 pm
Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:00 pm
Danraft can you share with us your reasons for this rather rosy predictions?
“Rosy Predictions”?
I don’t see those as rosy at all. What I see is an atrocious situation where global standards for pandemic preparedness have been dutifully discussed and seriously researched— then treated as if this “has never happened before.”

I’m reading Jared Diamond’s book”Upheaval—Turning Points for Nations in Crisis” (Diamond has two other books I highly recommend), and there is a quip I just read, “Unless one studies many countries, it’s impossible to understand one.”

I’d say that is true in the realm of pandemics. To be fair, it is a new topic for me. But, I’ve been studying the mechanisms of chronic disease for some time and there is considerable crossover.

In the specialized area of pandemics, one doesn’t have to look as far back as the Spanish Influenza for guidance. There is a fear of pandemic that is ongoing and almost continuous—and the scientific research and policy built upon that research is abundant—possibly even somewhat overwhelming. Hint: a new vaccine is made for the flu EVERY YEAR.

I’m only on an iPad now (the power is out here), but the timeline and protocol for vaccine development is shorter than has been described. Fauci knows this. IMO, he is setting Trump up to look like a hero when when vaccines appear at the 14-18 week expected interval.

There are already protocols that can shorten the length of infection down to 5 days and reduce mortality 36-47% using commonly available generic drugs. Reducing transmission is an important part, but not the only variable.

The rest is more complicated, and by end of next week I’ll have a site up which assembles the literature in a sortable knowledge base and has a Tooltip glossary to make it more accessible for the intelligent layman.
Yes, Dan. "Rosy" fucking "predictions." What is your source for the assertion that vaccines will "appear" in 14 to 18 weeks. For that matter, what is your source for the assertion that there are "already protocols" that shorten infection and reduce mortality.

What are the actual sources? Please show your work.
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Addie

Post by Addie »

New York Times
Coronavirus in N.Y.: ‘Deluge’ of Cases Begins Hitting Hospitals

There are already critical shortages: A Bronx hospital is running out of ventilators. In Brooklyn, doctors are reusing masks. ...

In a startlingly quick ascent, officials reported on Friday that the state was closing in on 8,000 positive tests, about half the cases in the country. The number was 10 times higher than what was reported earlier in the week.

In the Bronx, doctors at Lincoln Medical and Mental Health Center say they have only a few remaining ventilators for patients who need them to breathe. In Brooklyn, doctors at Kings County Hospital Center say they are so low on supplies that they are reusing masks for up to a week, slathering them with hand sanitizer between shifts.

Some of the jump in New York’s cases can be traced to significantly increased testing, which the state began this week. But the escalation, and the response, could offer other states a glimpse of what might be in store if the virus continues to spread. Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo on Friday urged residents to stay indoors and ordered nonessential businesses to keep workers home.

State officials have projected that the number of coronavirus cases in New York will peak in early May. Both the governor and Mayor Bill de Blasio have used wartime metaphors and analogies to paint a grim picture of what to expect. Officials have said the state would need to double its available hospital beds to 100,000 and could be short as many as 25,000 ventilators.

As it prepares for the worst-case projections, the state is asking retired health care workers to volunteer to help. The city is considering trying to turn the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center in Manhattan into a makeshift hospital.
Adding:
CNBC: New York City is the new coronavirus epicenter with one-third of all US cases, Mayor de Blasio says
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

126 more cases in Republic of Ireland, total 683, 140 in hospital, and 12 in ICUs. No deaths yet but gonna happen at some point.
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

(Fair warning: I'm completely obliterated right now)

We're fucked. Oh, not from the disease. From the economy. It doesn't even matter at this point if 1,000 people die (in the US, I mean) or 10,000 people die or 1,000,000 die or 100,000,000 die. Whoever is left isn't going to have any fucking money unless they were worth millions or more when this all started. So fuckin' get ready, because it's Mad Max time.

Or maybe not, but from where I sit, everyone is levered up to 100%+, so we're all completely screwed. In the meantime, I'm just going to keep drinking, because I don't know what else to do.

(I did warn you.)
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

You could be right. Regardless of what happens, everything will change.

The trick is to not worry about what you cant control, and worry about what you can.
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Suranis wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:26 am
The trick is to not worry about what you cant control, and worry about what you can.
:yeah:
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

Suranis wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:26 am
You could be right. Regardless of what happens, everything will change.

I get what you're saying, but the hell with that. Maybe I'd rather be dead than dead broke. Maybe (probably?) I'm in the minority on that point. But everyone who isn't worth seven-figures-plus is screwed, and what's the fucking point of "survival" if all we have to look forward to is the economic equivalent of The Day After?

I've been the one telling my wife all week to worry about what we can control. That isn't working anymore. Hence why I'm smashed while she's asleep tonight.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Return to “Coronavirus”