New Diseases - Coronavirus

neonzx

Re: New Diseases - Coronavirus

Post by neonzx »

He's calling it Chinese-flu because not only is he trying to place blame, but also he can't pronounce "coronavirus" without sounding like it's forced. Call it Covid-19. That's what the experts formally labelled it. Easy.
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Where this adminstration ought to act
More lifesaving ventilators are available. Hospitals can’t afford them.
Health industry experts cite cost and uncertainty as disincentives to stocking up, leaving a potential life-and-death gap in treatment options for patients in the coronavirus outbreak.

Christopher Rowland
March 18, 2020 at 9:18 p.m. GMT+1

Hospitals are holding back from ordering more medical ventilators because of the high cost for what may be only a short-term spike in demand from the coronavirus epidemic, supply chain experts and health researchers say, intensifying an anticipated shortage of lifesaving equipment for patients who become critically ill.

The lack of ventilators — and growing calls for a more aggressive government role to fill the gap — was a subject of tense exchanges this week between President Trump and state officials. The issue also revealed a disconnect between different parts of the health-care industry, with the main hospital association disputing the accounts about the adequacy of supply of the lifesaving equipment.

Mechanical ventilators, which help patients breathe or breathe for them, are considered critical to the nation’s effort to contain the worst effects of the pandemic and avoid a crisis like the one Italy is facing. Depending on how bad the coronavirus pandemic gets in the United States, individual cities could come up thousands of ventilators short as patients flood hospitals, researchers say.

“It’s a challenge for states, local governments and hospital administrators to allocate tens of millions of dollars to something when they don’t know if they need it or not," said Chris Kiple, chief executive of Ventec Life Systems, a small ventilator manufacturer in Washington state. “But if they don’t do it, they are going to be caught flat-footed, and facilities are going to be faced with not enough ventilators to meet demand."

Ventilator manufacturers could achieve, within a few months, a significant boost in production from about 50,000 units a year currently, said Julie Letwat, a health-care lawyer with McGuireWoods in Chicago who is monitoring the industry. Orders have not flooded in, she said, because most hospitals can’t afford to increase inventory of expensive equipment for what could turn out to be a short-term event.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... ronavirus/

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Screenshot_20200319-091118-134.jpg
Screenshot_20200319-092142-135.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Time to create a Strategic Ventilator Reserve?

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar »

"Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar continued defending the Trump administration’s efforts on testing by claiming in media interviews that the tests weren’t needed at the time because the number of confirmed cases was so low."

That is so stupid I can't even begin to process it. :brickwallsmall:

Here's an idea... we can wipe out all diseases if we just stop testing for them! The number of confirmed cases will drop to zero!

Yeah, that's the ticket...
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1240 ... 51300.html
1/ This is obviously racist, but it’s also an opportunistic gimmick to change the subject away from Trump’s massive managerial failures on corona. The Trump GOP has already discounted the costs of racist signaling; this stuff won't lose them any voters they haven't already lost.

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

RoadScholar wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:24 am
"Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar continued defending the Trump administration’s efforts on testing by claiming in media interviews that the tests weren’t needed at the time because the number of confirmed cases was so low."

That is so stupid I can't even begin to process it. :brickwallsmall:

Here's an idea... we can wipe out all diseases if we just stop testing for them! The number of confirmed cases will drop to zero!

Yeah, that's the ticket...
That is a breathtaking level of idiocy from the HHS Secretary. Jesus.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

:crying:

The military arrives in Bergamo to take the coffins. There’s no more space for them in the hospitals. I’ve never seen anything similar. Poor my country. Show this pic to all the people that keep minimising the situation.

fierceredpanda
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

And still people I know are claiming that it's only bad in Italy because of "socialized health care." As if capitalism were itself a vaccine against the virus.

:roll:
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

CNN is chyroning that 40% OF HOSPITALIZATIONS ARE PEOPLE AGE 18-54! So get off those beaches, kids.
What you've heard about Mighty Spork is true. Don't miss The Fogbow's Favourite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: Family Crisis!" Fri 9/8c. TVShowsAce featured Fogbow's love 5/26/20: https://bit.ly/2TNxrbS

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

neonzx wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:20 am
He's calling it Chinese-flu because not only is he trying to place blame, but also he can't pronounce "coronavirus" without sounding like it's forced. Call it Covid-19. That's what the experts formally labelled it. Easy.
The F started today's press conference calling it the Chinese-virus.
:brickwallsmall:

I muted it.

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

fierceredpanda wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:57 am
And still people I know are claiming that it's only bad in Italy because of "socialized health care." As if capitalism were itself a vaccine against the virus.

:roll:
The NY Times newsletter today picks up points that can be deduced from other countries' experiences. One is that having a healthcare system that is free or very cheap at the point of delivery leads to much better control of the situation as people are not afraid to use it when circumstances demand. Especially if adequate sick pay and security of income mean that people with symptoms isolated themselves rather than struggle to work thereby infecting their colleagues and possibly the public.

Additionally, social inequality leads to worse outcomes for all.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/19/health/n ... index.html
(CNN)A New Jersey mother died from coronavirus without knowing that her two children also got infected and died shortly before she did, The New York Times reported.

Grace Fusco, 73, died Wednesday and was unaware of the deaths of her oldest son and daughter from Covid-19, the disease caused by coronavirus.
A relative told the newspaper that four other children also have coronavirus and remain hospitalized -- three in critical condition. CNN has reached out to a family representative but has not heard back.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

:brickwallsmall:

kate520

Post by kate520 »

How on earth do the people standing on every dais with him school the ‘WTF’ from their faces?
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

We need the plaid shirt guy.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

I'm not watching the daily propaganda presser, but I'm reading that the Dotard is touting an antimalarial drug as a "treatment."

One of my kids got giardia when he was about 4. It's a horrible parasite but common in tropical climates like Houston. The cure was an antimalarial, I think the same thing as Dotard is touting. But I had to find a compound pharmacy to make it! I can't remember if it had to be refrigerated, but it's not just kept on a shelf. And IDK how something that kills a parasite is going to kill a virus, or it would've been employed in China, Italy, etc.

So this sounds like more snake oil being peddled by the snake oil salesman. Ridiculous.
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

PaulG

Post by PaulG »

Chloroquine, an old malaria drug, may help treat novel coronavirus, doctors say

If it works, it'll be $1000 a pill before you can say "$1000 a pill"

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

PaulG wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:38 pm

"May" is doing a lot of work there. Maybe because my son was so young, but it wasn't a pill. It was a liquid that had to be compounded.
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

PaulG

Post by PaulG »

TexasFilly wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:41 pm
PaulG wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:38 pm

"May" is doing a lot of work there. Maybe because my son was so young, but it wasn't a pill. It was a liquid that had to be compounded.
I agree. I was just mentioning it to reassure people that Trump wasn't simply hallucinating the whole thing after eating a bad cheezburgr. Unlike normal, IOW.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo »

TexasFilly wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:27 pm
I'm not watching the daily propaganda presser, but I'm reading that the Dotard is touting an antimalarial drug as a "treatment."
The head of the Party of Anti-Science is talking out his butthole again. The reality is, anti-malarials might reduce the risk of contracting the disease after exposure, and might shorten the duration, but it is very early days in testing yet.

The U of Minnesota got a research study approved in about a week (record time) to look into this. They're recruiting 1500 volunteers who have been exposed to coronavirus. Half will get the antimalarial, half will get a placebo. And we'll see what happens.
I've heard this bull before.

fierceredpanda

Post by fierceredpanda »

All I can think about is when Jude Law's obvious caricature of Alex Jones starts hawking forsythia in the movie Contagion. Before you know it, there's a run on stores for forsythia.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar »

Younger adults are large percentage of coronavirus hospitalizations in United States, according to new CDC data

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... -cdc-data/

Also, here is the research done in 2005 on Chloroquine treatment of SARS:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1232869/

So no, it's not hallucinatory, or just another turd from the pile of BS at 1600 Pennsylvania. Amazingly enough.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

WHO head tells Africa to 'wake up' to coronavirus threat

Africa must "wake up" to the coronavirus threat and prepare for the worst, the head of the World Health Organization (WHO) has said.

The continent should learn from how the spread of virus has sped up elsewhere, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said.

He warned that whileAfrica's confirmed cases were currently low - around 640 - there was no reason for complacency.

"Africa should wake up, my continent should wake up," said the Ethiopian, the WHO's first African head.

Health experts warn that strained public health systems in Africa could become quickly overwhelmed if the virus takes hold, especially in overcrowded urban areas.

"WHO's recommendation is actually mass gatherings should be avoided and we should do all we can to cut it from the bud, expecting that the worst could happen," Mr Tedros told a news conference in Geneva, where the WHO is based.

In Africa, 16 people have died from Covid-19, the respiratory illness caused by coronavirus: six in Egypt, six in Algeria, two in Morocco, one in Sudan and one in Burkina Faso.

In South Africa, which has 116 cases, President Cyril Ramaphosa has declared a state of disaster, restricting travel, closing schools, banning mass gatherings and ordering bars to close or limit numbers to 50.

https:// www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-51960118

Note: Considering the state of health care on the African continent I would take the numbers with a lump of salt.

Return to “Coronavirus”