New Diseases - Coronavirus

Kendra

Re: New Diseases

Post by Kendra »

EXCLUSIVE: The Trump administration is considering imposing entry restrictions at the US-Mexico border to control the spread of the coronavirus in the United States, according to two DHS officials

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

Somerset wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:06 pm
AndyinPA wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:34 am
https://amp.ibtimes.sg/north-koreas-fir ... port-40042
In what appears to be a rather drastic measure to contain the spread of the novel coronavirus (COVID 19), North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un allegedly sanctioned for the execution of the first North Korean patient tested positive for the deadly strain of the virus.

According to Secret Beijing, an anonymous social media commentator, who terms himself as an analyst on China affairs, the patient was shot dead. The story is still developing and there is still no clarity on the details of the patient executed by North Korea.
I heard or saw this somewhere yesterday, but I wasn't sure it was true, not that it was impossible in North Korea. I was hesitant to post anything about it as I thought it might not be true.
A little something about the parent of the source, IBT Media:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBT_Media
IBT Media says it has an ongoing "working relationship" with Olivet University which includes the school providing design assistance and computer resources, and IBT Media providing internships for students. It characterizes it as similar to the relationships Silicon Valley companies have with local universities.[7] However, publication Christianity Today alleges that IBT Media has a close relationship both with Olivet and with its founder, controversial[7][10] evangelical pastor David J. Jang. It claims that Jang is an investor in and has exercised control over IBT Media, that Davis was formerly director of journalism at Olivet, and that Uzac was its Treasurer, at least at one time.[7][11][12] Executives characterize the relationship as between the institutions and not the founders, and that it was purely operational.[6][7]
I see what you mean. I don't think I've ever heard of them before. Thanks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Danraft

Post by Danraft »

The live presser appears professional, if perhaps a little naive. The measures being taken will slow down the spread into the States.

Once that is less the case and community spread becomes more common, the approach will need to evolve. Stopping large gatherings, changes in personal habits, etc will be important.

His characterization of "hoax" was specific to criticism. "Muzzled" was handled. Of course, the Southern Border is brought up.
Maintain "normal lives" is the current advice.
The Mercury Project

Azastan

Post by Azastan »

Volkonski wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:32 pm
First US Covid-19 death.
News12LI
@News12LI
·
1m
BREAKING: Washington state officials say 1 person has died from #coronavirus, marking 1st death from disease in the U.S.
This apparently happened at Evergreen Hospital in Kirkland(I have a friend who works there).

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

So a couple of new travel advisories, an extended ban on travel from Iran, thinking about using the Covid-19 outbreak as an excuse to shutdown the southern border. Trump certainly seems to want to minimize the situation.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Governor Inslee is no fan of Trump. :?: Are the Sunday morning shows calling to get him on? Pence and team might find it hard to get local authorities.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Lebanon being proactive.

Lebanon asks schools and universities to close over coronavirus

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/02/ ... 02382.html
Lebanon has asked all schools, universities and nurseries to close until March 8 as a precautionary measure against the new coronavirus.

The country has so far registered seven cases of the virus that was first detected in China late last year, while dozens have undergone testing and are either awaiting results or have tested negative.

:snippity:

Almost all educational institutions are expected to respect Education Minister Tarek Majzoub's request late on Friday about the closure.

However, the prestigious American University of Beirut, which has about 10,000 students, announced that it would remain open, "based upon consultations with several experts in the field of infectious diseases".

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Donna Young
@DonnaYoungDC
·
9m
@DrNancyM_CDC
: She notes only 24 hours since spoke last. Has Washington state officials with her. She notes 1st case in health care worker & outbreak in skilled nursing facility.
[Wow, this may be bad]

Wash. official: Life Care health care worker in her 40s.
Second is woman resident in long term care in 70s in serious conditions.
Others in long term care with symptoms.

WA Official: Death was not associated with the long-term care facility.
Working with long term care facility to try to prevent spread.

WA official: Woman who died was at Evergreen Health Hospital.
2nd WA Official: With spread in Washington, risk to public is increasing. May want to cancel large events.

@DrNancyM_CDC
: Empower local communities to make decisions that work for them. She notes some locations where there's spread going to be different than others where no spread.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

So I listened to part of the press conference on the radio. Were they really saying there are "22" coronavirus cases in the US????? I heard an unfamiliar voice say that, who was it? We know those numbers are wrong. I did hear Fauci praise Trump for early action on China and BS on why he's not going on the Sunday shows. That was disappointing. Trump was his arrogant, ignorant self, snarling at a reporter. Ugh.
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

More details-

The newly diagnosed include an elementary school worker and a high-school student who was on campus while sick.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/oregon-sc ... oronavirus
Hours later, Oregon officials called a press conference with even more concerning news: A school employee had tested positive and may have exposed an untold number of elementary school staff and students.

That briefing was barely over when authorities in Washington state assembled to reveal that a high-school student who had been on campus just that morning also had the virus.

:snippity:

Health investigators in all three states are now scrambling to trace the movements of the patients and identify and inform their close contacts in a feverish attempt to stop the virus from spreading out of control like it has some places abroad.

In Oregon and in Washington, the schools linked to the patients were shut down as officials tried to forestall panic.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

A 4th case in Mexico traveled there from Italy.
MISSAEL VILLALBA Winking face with tongue✌🏻(OFICIAL)
@soymv23
La 4ta. persona infectada en México Flag of Mexico por covid-19 (coronavirus Microbe) es una mujer de 20 años que regresó de Italia Flag of Italy, Torreón Coahuila se encuentra en alerta Warning sign
#COVID2019mx
Translated from Spanish by
The 4th. infected person in Mexico Flag of Mexico by covid-19 (coronavirus Microbe ) is a 20-year-old woman who returned from Italy Flag of Italy , Torreón Coahuila is on alert Warning sign
#COVID2019mx

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Washington Gov. Jay Inslee today declared a state of emergency in response to new cases of COVID-19, directing state agencies to use all resources necessary to prepare for and respond to the outbreak.[/quote

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Looks like CNN will air the conference from King County officials live.

Found these signs at Life Care Center of Kirkland “No Visitors: We Are Having Respiratory Outbreak.”

@NatashaChenCNN
confirms- there are about 27/108 residents and 25/180 staff who have reported symptoms that might suggest coronavirus.
@KIRO7Seattle

@CNN

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Report: Dozens at Kirkland nursing facility reporting symptoms that might suggest coronavirus

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/report ... 3SUWXLYYU/
KIRKLAND, Wash. — Dozens of residents and staff at Life Care Center of Kirkland, a nursing and rehab facility, are reporting symptoms that might suggest coronavirus, according to a new report from CNN.

CNN reported that Dr. Jeff Duchin with King County Public Health said 27 residents and 25 staff members are reporting coronavirus-like symptoms.
Alison Grande

@AlisonKIRO7
Found these signs at Life Care Center of Kirkland “No Visitors: We Are Having Respiratory Outbreak.”
@NatashaChenCNN confirms- there are about 27/108 residents and 25/180 staff who have reported symptoms that might suggest coronavirus. @KIRO7Seattle @CNN

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Inslee declares state of emergency for coronavirus response

https://www.kuow.org/stories/inslee-dec ... s-response
Hours after Washington state health officials announced the first coronavirus death in the U.S., Gov. Jay Inslee declared a state of emergency, directing agencies to use all resources needed to respond to the outbreak.

The first case of coronavirus in the U.S. was found in Snohomish County, north of Seattle. The first death presumed to be from coronavirus was also in the Seattle area – in Kirkland, Washington.

Inslee’s proclamation directing state agencies to use “everything reasonably possible to assist affected communities” also allows use of the Washington National Guard.

“Our priority now is to slow the spread of the virus,” Inslee said.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Trump was wrong.
K.C. Land
@KC_8Land
·
42s
Press conference out of Washington State just now: a man in his 50's with underlying conditions is the first #coronavirus death in the U.S. They are also reporting confirmed cases from a long term care facility in Kirkland, WA. #COVID19 #COVID19US #Washington

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Paul Imanuelsen
@Paul_Imanuelsen
·
4m
BREAKING:

First confirmed case of Covid-19 coronavirus in Ireland now.

The infected is a male in the eastern part of the country, and is associated with travel from an affected area in Northern Italy, the Irish Department of Health informs.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Volkonski wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:21 pm
Trump was wrong.
K.C. Land
@KC_8Land
·
42s
Press conference out of Washington State just now: a man in his 50's with underlying conditions is the first #coronavirus death in the U.S. They are also reporting confirmed cases from a long term care facility in Kirkland, WA. #COVID19 #COVID19US #Washington
Yes, he's a freaking IDIOT:
The President also offered his condolences to the first coronavirus death in America, describing the patient, who died in Washington state, as a "medically high-risk patient in her late 50s."
https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/29/politics ... index.html

Nothing says sincere condolences like "I can't even bother to get the gender of the deceased right" because "I'm so worried about the stock market and my re-election so I can't be prosecuted for the 20 crimes I commit every day."
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... oronavirus
Tiger Ye, 21, lives in Wuhan and started showing symptoms in mid-January. Here he tells the story of his illness and recovery.

On 17 January my muscles became sore all over. I may have had a slight fever, but it wasn’t strong enough to notice. Looking back, it is a little scary, because my house and the language school where I study Japanese are within a 5km radius of the Wuhan seafood market (where the virus is believed to have originated).

To treat my muscle soreness, I took some cold tablets because I thought it was a normal cold. Now that I think of it, I might have missed the best time for treatment, failing to contain the virus with antiviral drugs in its early stages.

I have no idea how I got the virus. I always eat at the same Hong Kong-style restaurant below my school. I wasn’t walking around much at the time because it was very cold, and since I was tired after classes I always went back home. Once the semester break started, I stayed with my parents and not at the dormitory. I started wearing a mask a few days later when I saw everyone else around me wearing masks.

And it goes on.

(Edited to fix quotes, but not having any luck.)
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Kendra wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:13 pm
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... -tax-cuts/
Trump administration officials are holding preliminary conversations about economic responses to the coronavirus, as the stock market fell sharply again on Friday amid international fears about the outbreak, according to five people with knowledge of the planning.

Among the options being considered are pursuing a targeted tax cut package, these people said. They have also discussed whether the White House should lean even harder on the Federal Reserve to cut interest rates, though the central bank on Friday afternoon said it would step in if necessary.

No decisions at the White House have been reached on these options, and officials stressed conversations remained preliminary and extremely fluid.
:doh: at this time there is no need for tax breaks. :brickwallsmall:

If impotus and his crew of dilettantes would act on the health front the stock markets may settle, but with nothing done they will detoriate further. Apart that the stock market is reacting to a worldwide event, not a local US incident.

Azastan

Post by Azastan »

TexasFilly wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:32 pm
Volkonski wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:21 pm
Trump was wrong.
K.C. Land
@KC_8Land
·
42s
Yes, he's a freaking IDIOT:
The President also offered his condolences to the first coronavirus death in America, describing the patient, who died in Washington state, as a "medically high-risk patient in her late 50s."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/29/politics ... index.html

Nothing says sincere condolences like "I can't even bother to get the gender of the deceased right" because "I'm so worried about the stock market and my re-election so I can't be prosecuted for the 20 crimes I commit every day."
I hate to give him credit, but the first report I saw was that it was a young (under age 18) woman who had died.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... -uninsured
Like 27.5 million other Americans, I don’t have health insurance. It’s not for a lack of trying – I make too much to qualify for Medicaid, but not enough to buy a private health insurance plan on the Affordable Care Act exchanges. Since I can’t afford to see a doctor, my healthcare strategy as a 32-year-old uninsured American has been simply to sleep eight hours, eat vegetables, and get daily exercise. But now that there are confirmed coronavirus cases in the United States, the deadly virus could spread rapidly, thanks to others like me who have no feasible way to get the care we need if we start exhibiting symptoms.

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

RTH10260 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:42 pm
:doh: at this time there is no need for tax breaks. :brickwallsmall:
Why didn't Trump's 2017 tax cuts prevent the corona virus? :think:

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

The presser from King County was good, it sounds they're trying to plan for what might happen ahead of time if a real outbreak happens. Metro Transit, the homeless shelters, etc. I did hear one official game a swipe at maybe Pence and team about paying attention to science and facts.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Kirkland WA could have several more cases of Covid-19

Washington officials say over 50 displaying COVID-19 symptoms at health care facility in likely outbreak

https://www.fox35orlando.com/news/washi ... y-outbreak
The man who died was in his 50s, had underlying health conditions and no history of travel or contact with a known COVID-19 case, health officials in Washington state said at a news conference. A spokesperson for EvergreenHealth Medical Center, Kayse Dahl, said the person died in the facility in the Seattle suburb of Kirkland.

The health officials reported two cases of COVID-19 virus connected to a long-term care facility in the same suburb, Life Care Center of Kirkland. One is a Life Care worker, a woman in her 40s who is in satisfactory condition at a hospital, and the other is a woman in her 70s and a resident at Life Care who is hospitalized in serious condition. Neither have traveled out of the country.

“In addition, over 50 individuals associated with Life Care are reportedly ill with respiratory symptoms or hospitalized with pneumonia or other respiratory conditions of unknown cause and are being tested for COVID-19,” Seattle and King County officials said. “Additional positive cases are expected.”

Amy Reynolds of the Washington state health department said in a brief telephone interview: “We are dealing with an emergency evolving situation.”

Return to “Coronavirus”