Coronavirus: It's Inside the Congress

Addie

Re: Coronavirus: It's Inside the Congress

Post by Addie »

Slate: Arizona Congressman Tests Positive for COVID-19, Blasts Republicans Who Don’t Wear Masks ...

In a statement Saturday, Grijalva harshly criticized colleagues who refuse to take precautions against the coronavirus. “While I cannot blame anyone directly for this, this week has shown that there are some Members of Congress who fail to take this crisis seriously,” he said. “Numerous Republican members routinely strut around the Capitol without a mask to selfishly make a political statement at the expense of their colleagues, staff, and their families.” Grijalva, 73, went on to praise House Speaker Nancy Pelosi for requiring lawmakers and their staff to wear masks. “Stopping the spread of a deadly virus should not be a partisan issue,” he said.

Grijalva will continue isolating in Washington, D.C. “He’s feeling fine and is just getting some rest,” his communications director, Geoff Nolan, said on Saturday. Nolan said several staff members in Grijalva’s office will be tested as well but emphasized that the lawmaker always wears a mask when he is at the Capitol.

Grijalva is the 10th House lawmaker who is known or presumed to have contracted COVID-19, according to the Wall Street Journal. On the Senate side,one Democrat—Sen. Tim Kaine—and one Republican—Sen. Rand Paul—have tested positive for the virus.

"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver
Addie

Post by Addie »

KXAN: ‘My father ignored medical expertise and now he has COVID,’ Rep. Louie Gohmert’s daughter says ...

In a powerful statement posted on Twitter, his daughter Caroline said that “wearing a mask is a non-partisan issue.”

“The advice of medical experts shouldn’t be politicized,” she wrote. “My father ignored medical expertise and now he has COVID.”

She described his battle as “heartbreaking” and urged people to listen to medical experts.

“It’s not worth following a president who has no remorse for leading his followers to an early grave,” she added.

"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver
Slim Cognito
Location: Home to gators, pythons and now trump. trump is the only one that scares me.

Post by Slim Cognito »

She says the battle is "heartbreaking" Does that mean the battle to make dad face reality, or has he gotten fairly sick already?

And since he lived in his office, WTH is he isolating?

ImageImageImage x4
Addie

Post by Addie »

"'gotten fairly sick already" -- that's how I took it, Slim.
Slim Cognito wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:04 am She says the battle is "heartbreaking" Does that mean the battle to make dad face reality, or has he gotten fairly sick already?

And since he lived in his office, WTH is he isolating?

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

BUT... But..... but..... it's only the flu :twisted:

kate520

Post by kate520 »

As a human, I feel for my fellow humans when they fall ill.

Gomer has been such as ASS his whole time in Congress, making clear he has no consideration for others who may not be just like him, that Ima give him a hard pass on compassion. I just don’t care anymore about the condition of my immortal soul. ;)

I don’t think there’s much left to say about someone who contacts a potentially deadly virus...and then hangs around his place of work 24/7. I will feel for his family, though, when he passes.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY
Addie

Post by Addie »

Politico: Rep. Rodney Davis diagnosed with Covid days after warning lawmakers about safety

Days after delivering a presentation on office safety in dealing with Covid-19, Illinois Congressman Rodney Davis, the top Republican on the House Administration Committee, announced he has tested positive for the virus.

In a letter posted on his website, Davis said he tested positive Wednesday morning. He submitted to the test after one of his twice-daily temperature checks “clocked in at 99 degrees Fahrenheit, which is higher than normal for me,” he wrote.

“Because of the high temperature, my wife and I received a test this morning. While my test came back positive, my wife’s test came back negative. My staff who I’ve worked with in-person this week have received negative tests as well. Other than a higher-than-normal temperature, I am showing no symptoms at this time and feel fine.”

Davis has taken greater care than many of his Republican counterparts to wear a mask and adhere to social distancing rules. That, he said in a statement, is because his wife is a nurse and a cancer survivor, “which puts her in an at-risk category like so many Americans.”

Last week, Davis spoke to Republicans about staying safe amid the coronavirus pandemic after Texas Republican Congressman Louie Gohmert, known for walking the halls of Congress without a mask, tested positive for Covid-19.

Urging his colleagues to follow recommendations for staying safe, Davis told his fellow Republicans: "Don’t be stupid and become the news story of the day."

Addie

Post by Addie »

Political Wire: Bill Cassidy Tests Positive

Sen. Bill Cassidy (R-LA), who is also a doctor, has tested positive for the coronavirus, CNN reports.

Cassidy posted a video yesterday of his visit to a medical center and is seen wearing a face mask, although it does slip past his nose at the end of the video.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://twitter.com/SenBillCassidy/stat ... 1319419905
If you can go to the grocery store safely and practice social distancing, then you can safely go to the voting booth. We shouldn’t federalize elections like Democrats are attempting to do by making mail-in voting mandatory. Let state & local govts decide their voting procedures.

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

Mrs. FRP texted me about Cassidy. My response was basically :trombone:

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Slim Cognito
Location: Home to gators, pythons and now trump. trump is the only one that scares me.

Post by Slim Cognito »

Kendra wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:05 pm https://twitter.com/SenBillCassidy/stat ... 1319419905
If you can go to the grocery store safely and practice social distancing, then you can safely go to the voting booth. We shouldn’t federalize elections like Democrats are attempting to do by making mail-in voting mandatory. Let state & local govts decide their voting procedures.
I've gone to the grocery store the day before Superbowl but even then I didn't have to stand in the checkout line for three hours.

ImageImageImage x4
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Kendra wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:05 pm https://twitter.com/SenBillCassidy/stat ... 1319419905
If the Federal Government trusts the mail to deliver your Income Tax Return to the IRS, then you should be able to trust the mail to deliver your ballot to the local Election Office.

Joe Biden: "Wearing masks is not a political statement. It's a scientific imperative."

It’s the pandemic, stupid!
Addie

Post by Addie »

Associated Press: Pennsylvania Rep. Dan Meuser tests positive for COVID-19

The Republican congressman said he is following guidelines of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and working from home in quarantine.

POTTSVILLE, Pa. — A Pennsylvania congressman has announced that he is postponing public events after testing positive for the coronavirus.

Rep. Dan Meuser, R-Pa., said he is following guidelines of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and working from home in quarantine after testing positive for COVID-19.

“I am thankful to God that my grown children were not at home and that my wife Shelley has tested negative,” said the congressman, who represents a portion of east-central Pennsylvania, in a statement.

Addie

Post by Addie »

Associated Press: Johnson, exposed to virus, cancels plan to appear with Trump

MADISON, Wis. (AP) — Wisconsin Sen. Ron Johnson said Thursday he’s been placed in quarantine after being exposed to someone who tested positive for the coronavirus.

Johnson said he has no symptoms and tested negative for the virus, but canceled plans to travel with President Donald Trump or attending Trump’s campaign event Thursday evening in Mosinee.

Johnson said he was tested late Wednesday for the virus because of his plans to be near the president.

Trump’s airport stop in Mosinee was to be his fifth to the key battleground state this year. He’s also visiting Bemidji, in northern Minnesota, on Friday as he campaigns hard in rural areas key to his chances. The Friday stop will come the same day Joe Biden has a stop in Duluth, also in northern Minnesota.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

Addie wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:28 pm
Associated Press: Johnson, exposed to virus, cancels plan to appear with Trump

MADISON, Wis. (AP) — Wisconsin Sen. Ron Johnson said Thursday he’s been placed in quarantine after being exposed to someone who tested positive for the coronavirus.

Johnson said he has no symptoms and tested negative for the virus, but canceled plans to travel with President Donald Trump or attending Trump’s campaign event Thursday evening in Mosinee.

Johnson said he was tested late Wednesday for the virus because of his plans to be near the president.

Trump’s airport stop in Mosinee was to be his fifth to the key battleground state this year. He’s also visiting Bemidji, in northern Minnesota, on Friday as he campaigns hard in rural areas key to his chances. The Friday stop will come the same day Joe Biden has a stop in Duluth, also in northern Minnesota.
...has no symptoms and tested negative....
Sounds like an excuse to duck out to me.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

Is this going to slow down his roll-out of his Russian agent-provided propaganda report?

ImageImageImage x4
Addie

Post by Addie »

Hartford Courant: Rep. Jahana Hayes tests positive for coronavirus

U.S. Rep. Jahana Hayes has tested postive for COVID-19, according to her Twitter account. The Fifth-district Democrat, posted a video of her covid test at a drive-through site Sunday morning.

Hayes was tested following her announcement Saturday that she would quarantine for 14 days after one of her staffers tested positive for COVID-19. Hayes said in an announcement Saturday that she had been working in “close contact” with the staffer.

Hayes, however, did not say whether the infected staffer worked in her Capitol Hill office or in her district office in Waterbury. Hayes represents the 5th Congressional District, which covers a large area of northwestern Connecticut.

“After a phased in reopening of my offices, I was notified today that one of my staffers has tested positive for COVID-19. I have been in close contact with the staffer and I have worked in both my CT and D.C. offices over the last week.” said Hayes in a statement. “All of my staff has been notified and directed to quarantine and get tested.” ...

Hayes said she Saturday she was asymptomatic but noted Sunday that she had developed “breathing issues which are being monitored.”

After attempts to get tested at two urgent care centers, Hayes said she was able to get a test at the drive-through site the next day. Some of her staff were unable to get tested due to insurance reasons and Sunday morning Hayes said she was still trying to get her son tested. ...

“I have taken every possible precaution and still contracted coronavirus."

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Geoff Bennett
@GeoffRBennett
·
23s
Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah) has tested positive for coronavirus. Lee -- a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee -- met with Judge Amy Coney Barrett on Tuesday.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Philip Rucker
@PhilipRucker
· 5m
Sen. Lee, who attended Saturday’s Rose Garden SCOTUS announcement (which was not socially distanced, few in masks), announces he has tested positive for the coronavirus. twitter.com/senmikelee/sta…

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

:violin:

Addie

Post by Addie »

Cross-posting
Bloomberg: Schumer Calls for Isolation of Officials at Risk: Trump Update

Senate Democratic leader Chuck Schumer called for the White House to conduct contact tracing and isolation of at-risk individuals after the president’s infection. Chief of Staff Mark Meadows said President Donald Trump is “very energetic” with mild symptoms. China joined foreign governments wishing Trump a swift recovery.

House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer said leaders of the congressional chamber are “looking at” instituting covid testing in the Capitol and expect decision before Congress returns from a scheduled recess that starts Friday.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said earlier this year they wouldn’t implement testing for members. Pelosi made masks mandatory in the Capitol following the positive diagnosis of Representative Louie Gohmert, a Texas Republican, in July. She said then it was up to the Capitol Physician to determine whether members should be tested regularly. --Daniel Flatley

Senate Democratic leader Chuck Schumer said the coronavirus infections of the president, first lady and a top aide mean the White House should “immediately conduct a contact tracing regime” that follows Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines. He also urged “thorough testing and isolation for those who were exposed to infection risk.”

“This must include strict adherence to those guidelines for all of the White House staff members that the president, first lady, and the aide came into contact with; and all of the people those individuals came into contact with whom experts deem at risk of exposure,” Schumer said in a statement.

He singled out Amy Coney Barrett, Trump’s nominee for Supreme Court justice, as among those potentially at risk. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell earlier said that the chamber would proceed apace with Barrett’s confirmation process.

tek

Post by tek »

Sen. Lee, who attended Saturday’s Rose Garden SCOTUS announcement (which was not socially distanced, few in masks), announces he has tested positive for the coronavirus.
If that Rose Garden SCOTUS pick ceremony turns out to have been a superspreader, I will laugh for hours.

There's no way back
from there to here
Addie

Post by Addie »

Politico: Trump coronavirus diagnosis leaves lawmakers exposed

Republican and Democratic leaders have rejected a comprehensive testing program in the Capitol.

President Donald Trump's coronavirus diagnosis exposes the Capitol's laissez-faire approach to testing for the deadly disease, particularly for congressional leaders and Republicans who interact regularly with the president or his top aides.

The president regularly hosts Republican senators at the White House, including for the introduction of Supreme Court nominee Amy Coney Barrett. At these events, these lawmakers and much of the crowd are maskless. Senators were tested prior to the Barrett announcement, according to a person with knowledge of the event, but testing does not always pick up the disease.

Capitol denizens are in direct line for the presidency after Vice President Mike Pence, with Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) followed by Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa), the Senate's president pro tempore. Grassley's spokesperson said the Iowa Republican has not been tested recently for coronavirus given that he has not recently been exposed to anyone who tested positive for the disease.

Pelosi said on MSNBC Friday morning she was tested "out of an abundance of caution" and was awaiting her results. Pelosi met in her speaker's suite with Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin, who has regular contact with the president, for 90 minutes Wednesday. Mnuchin announced Friday morning he has tested negative for the disease.

Still, Trump's positive test has set off a scramble inside the Capitol as lawmakers and aides work to determine who may be in danger after being exposed to those in the president's orbit. And the news has set off a new round of questioning about why congressional leaders continue to refuse to implement a testing system for the Capitol complex, which encompasses hundreds of lawmakers and thousands of aides and support staff.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

It'll be interesting to see if any of the Minnesota Republican delegation develop COVID-19. Trump was here on Wednesday and so you know he was handshaking with local politicians. According to the Minneapolis Star Tribune: "Minnesota's three Republican congressmen also traveled on Air Force One with Trump to and from the Duluth rally." Additionally Jason Lewis, the Republican candidate for U.S. Senate shook hands with Trump. Mike Lindell - the My Pillow guy - didn't interact with Trump while Trump was here, but he did participate in an event with Mike Pence. I guess we'll see if any of them develop symptoms in the next couple of weeks.

Joe Biden: "Wearing masks is not a political statement. It's a scientific imperative."

It’s the pandemic, stupid!
jmj

Post by jmj »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:22 pm It'll be interesting to see if any of the Minnesota Republican delegation develop COVID-19. Trump was here on Wednesday and so you know he was handshaking with local politicians. According to the Minneapolis Star Tribune: "Minnesota's three Republican congressmen also traveled on Air Force One with Trump to and from the Duluth rally." Additionally Jason Lewis, the Republican candidate for U.S. Senate shook hands with Trump. Mike Lindell - the My Pillow guy - didn't interact with Trump while Trump was here, but he did participate in an event with Mike Pence. I guess we'll see if any of them develop symptoms in the next couple of weeks.
I will not be sorry at all to see the MyPillow guy come down with the virus.

Return to “Coronavirus”