Coronavirus: It's Inside the Congress

Addie

Coronavirus: It's Inside the Congress

Post by Addie »

Cross-posting
Politico: Louie Gohmert, who refused to wear a mask, tests positive for coronavirus

The Texas Republican received the diagnosis during a pre-screening procedure at the White House on Wednesday morning.

Rep. Louie Gohmert -- a Texas Republican who has been walking around the Capitol without a mask -- has tested positive for the coronavirus, according to multiple sources.

Gohmert was scheduled to fly to Texas on Wednesday morning with President Donald Trump and tested positive in a pre-screen at the White House. The eighth-term Republican told CNN last month that he was not wearing a mask because he was being tested regularly for the coronavirus.

"If I get it," he told CNN in June, "you'll never see me without a mask."

Reps. Mario Diaz Balart (R-Fla.), Neal Dunn (R-Fla.), Morgan Griffith (R-Va.), Mike Kelly (R-Pa.), Ben McAdams (D-Utah) and Tom Rice (R-S.C.) have tested positive for the virus, along with Sen. Rand Paul (R-Tenn.).

In May, Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) turned down the administration's offer of rapid testing for the Capitol. Some lawmakers -- mostly Republicans -- decline to use face coverings while in the building.
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver
Slim Cognito
Location: Home to gators, pythons and now trump. trump is the only one that scares me.

Re: Coronavirus: It's Inside the Congress

Post by Slim Cognito »

Addie wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:30 am Cross-posting
Politico: Louie Gohmert, who refused to wear a mask, tests positive for coronavirus

.... The eighth-term Republican told CNN last month that he was not wearing a mask because he was being tested regularly for the coronavirus.

"If I get it," he told CNN in June, "you'll never see me without a mask."

Why do these idiots think the test prevents them from becoming infected after they leave the testing facility?
ImageImageImage x4
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Barr is not a very fit man. If he should catch the ‘rona, he might gain new insight into “I can’t breathe.”
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

I’ve spent a lot of time in House gallery watching Gohmert frequently interact with colleagues and not wearing a mask. He doesn’t maintain social distance and talks at length with members. When I asked Gohmert, he said he would wear a mask if he got covid. https://cnn.com/2020/06/26/politics/lou ... index.html
AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

Karma?

:pray:
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Yes, karma bites.
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

Dumbass Gohmert is 66. He should be scared.
"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016
Addie

Post by Addie »

USA Today: AG Barr to be tested for coronavirus after Rep. Louie Gohmert found positive for COVID-19

Attorney General Bill Barr will be tested for coronavirus Wednesday after coming into contact with a Texas congressman who tested positive.

"The attorney general will be tested today," the Justice Department said in a brief statement, after the department was notified that Rep. Louie Gohmert, R-Texas, had tested positive for the virus.

The two had a brief interaction during Barr's appearance at a combative House Judiciary Committee hearing Tuesday, said an official with knowledge of the matter. The official, who is not authorized to comment publicly, said it is not believed that the two had physical contact.

Gohmert joins a growing number of lawmakers to contract the virus. The Texas Republican has previously refused to wear a mask while speaking on the House floor, and reporters on Capitol Hill have frequently spotted him without one. ...

Gohmert was supposed to accompany President Donald Trump to Texas on Wednesday, but was scratched from the Air Force One manifest because of a positive COVID-19 test, an administration official said, speaking on condition of anonymity because the incident involves the congressman’s health records. Gohmert's office did not respond to a request for comment.

Gohmert told a local television outlet Wednesday he plans to self-quarantine for 10 days.
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Ever since PM came out, Ive gotten a flood of emails from republican staffers who say they too are being forced to come to the hill without a mask now.

If you’re one of those people, email me or dm me.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

I changed the microphone cover and sanitized.

Like my favorite President, I’m a germaphobe.
Addie

Post by Addie »

Politico: POLITICO Playbook PM: Why the Capitol needs testing ...

A FEW THINGS ARE CLEAR after covering Washington for four months in the coronavirus era: Most people are taking this seriously, but not everyone. And all it takes is one irresponsible person -- an armchair scientist who decides masks aren’t for them, or their entire office should work in person in the middle of a pandemic -- for many of us to get sick with a virus that could kill us. (GOHMERT says he might’ve gotten Covid from wearing a mask, per an interview he gave to a local affiliate.)

MEMBERS OF CONGRESS arrive here from all over America nearly every week. They can’t conduct their business from afar -- fair enough. But neither can we -- journalists -- or the House and Senate floor staff, maintenance workers or anyone who has to keep this massive complex afloat.

YET, THE CONGRESSIONAL LEADERSHIP refuses to require testing or masks for the people who come into the building each week.

LET’S BE REAL: The Capitol has superspreader written all over it. People are coming off planes, out of cars, and many of them can’t be relied upon to follow basic masking rules that are mandatory across the country.
Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Jake Sherman
@JakeSherman
·
6m
Police cars revolving lightNEW —
@SpeakerPelosi
just announced on call with House Democrats that she’ll be announcing a mandatory mask policy for the House floor
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Addie

Post by Addie »

Law & Crime: ‘Flood’ of GOP Congressional Staffers Say They’re Being Forced to Work on Capitol Hill Without Masks: Report

Following reports that Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Tex.) tested positive for the novel COVID-19 coronavirus, one of the lawmaker’s aides contacted Politico journalist Jake Sherman via email saying that the Texas Congressman repeatedly ‘berated’ staffers for wearing masks in the office. Less than an hour after Sherman posted a tweet with the text of the aide’s email, he said he had received a “flood” of additional emails from other GOP staffers making similar claims.

“Jake, thank you for letting our office know Louie tested positive for the Coronavirus,” the email from Gohmert’s aide read. “When you write your story, can you include the fact that Louie requires full staff to be in the office, including three interns, so that ‘we could be an example to America on how to open up safely.’ When probing the office, you might want to ask how often were people berated for wearing masks.”

Sherman’s tweet must have been widely viewed by congressional staffers, because he soon followed up his initial post with a tweet claiming that he’d been contacted by several different Republican aides making similar claims.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Rep. Louie Gohmert says he may have contracted the coronavirus because he wore a mask, despite the fact that he regularly refused to wear masks.
"When I have a mask on, I'm moving it to make it comfortable and I can't help but wonder if that put some germs in the mask," Gohmert said in a video he posted to social media announcing his positive test results.
Good. Good good.
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.
Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Manu Raju
@mkraju
Despite Gohmert testing positive, some House Republicans were not wearing masks on the floor this afternoon. Rep. Clay Higgins was sitting on the House floor not wearing a mask. He told me last month that wearing a mask is “part of the dehumanization of the children of God.”
4:49 PM · Jul 29, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

Greg Steube also was standing at the back of the chamber not wearing a mask, nor was Brian Mast, who was sitting one seat apart from Don Young, who had his mask pulled down as he was chatting with Mast, who later told me that he “sometimes” wears a mask and sometimes doesn’t.

Rep Jack Bergman was also maskless having another conversation with a maskless member.
Frater I*I

Post by Frater I*I »

Kendra wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:28 pm
Like my favorite President
His bar for favourite is so low you have to dig to find it.... :bored:
Gazer Into the SovCit Abyss
ZekeB
Location: The nuttiest congressional district of a nut job state.

Post by ZekeB »

Did I hear it correctly that Gomer in blaming a mask wearer for his Covid dilemma?
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.
Estiveo

Post by Estiveo »

ZekeB wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:36 pm Did I hear it correctly that Gomer in blaming a mask wearer for his Covid dilemma?
No, he's blaming wearing a mask himself.
Image Image Image Image Image
Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Estiveo wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:51 pm
ZekeB wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:36 pm Did I hear it correctly that Gomer in blaming a mask wearer for his Covid dilemma?
No, he's blaming wearing a mask himself.
You wear a mask to protect others.

Guess he didn't wash his hands before adjusting his mask. ;)
Estiveo

Post by Estiveo »

I'm pretty sure Gohmert licks every doorknob he comes across.
Image Image Image Image Image
Addie

Post by Addie »

Daily Beast: Nancy Pelosi to Announce Mandatory Mask Policy on House Floor

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) said she will soon mandate that anyone on the floor of the House of Representatives must wear a face mask to slow the spread of the new coronavirus, according to reports of a Wednesday call with her fellow House Democrats. Earlier in the day, Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-TX) announced that he had contracted the virus, an outcome he attributed without evidence to wearing a mask. Masks have become a hot-button political issue, with Republicans railing against them and even President Donald Trump promoting the views of a controversial doctor who claims they are not necessary. Trump donned a face mask at a public appearance for the first time in mid-July after more than 100,000 Americans had already died from COVID-19. The majority of public health experts agree on their efficacy.
Addie

Post by Addie »

Roll Call (July 24th): COVID-19 keeps hitting Capitol community

Rep. Buchanan staffer dies from COVID-19 ...

Gary Tibbetts, a longtime staffer for Rep. Vern Buchanan, died Friday from COVID-19. The Florida Republican issued a tribute to Tibbetts on Twitter ...

COVID-19 cases increasing on Capitol Hill

There are at least 81 front-line workers in the Capitol complex who have tested positive — or are presumed positive— for the novel coronavirus, as of July 21, according to Ashley Phelps, communications director for House Administration Committee Republicans.

That number marks an increase of 15 cases since June 19.

At least 24 Capitol Police employees have tested positive.

At least 24 Architect of the Capitol employees have tested positive or are presumed. Five are presumed positive.

And 33 workers assigned to the Cannon House Office Building renovation project have tested positive or are presumed positive for the coronavirus. Three are presumed positive.
Azastan

Post by Azastan »

Addie wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:03 pm
Roll Call (July 24th): COVID-19 keeps hitting Capitol community

Rep. Buchanan staffer dies from COVID-19 ...

Gary Tibbetts, a longtime staffer for Rep. Vern Buchanan, died Friday from COVID-19. The Florida Republican issued a tribute to Tibbetts on Twitter ...

COVID-19 cases increasing on Capitol Hill

There are at least 81 front-line workers in the Capitol complex who have tested positive — or are presumed positive— for the novel coronavirus, as of July 21, according to Ashley Phelps, communications director for House Administration Committee Republicans.

That number marks an increase of 15 cases since June 19.

At least 24 Capitol Police employees have tested positive.

At least 24 Architect of the Capitol employees have tested positive or are presumed. Five are presumed positive.

And 33 workers assigned to the Cannon House Office Building renovation project have tested positive or are presumed positive for the coronavirus. Three are presumed positive.
But it's a HOAX. Wonder if they were taking Trump's favourite prophylactic, hydroxychloroquine?
Addie

Post by Addie »

The Hill: Gohmert says he will take hydroxychloroquine as COVID-19 treatment

Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Texas) said Wednesday he will take an anti-malaria drug that experts have warned doesn’t treat the coronavirus after he tested positive for the virus.

"My doctor and I are all in," Gohmert said about hydroxychloroquine during a Wednesday evening interview with Fox News, according to Newsweek.

"I got a text before I came on from a friend doctor who just found out he had it, and he started the regimen too — zinc and hydroxychloroquine. And that will start in a day or two, so thank you," the congressman added.

Congressional aides confirmed Wednesday that Gohmert, who has largely opted against wearing a mask around the Capitol, tested positive for COVID-19.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Addie wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:20 am
The Hill: Gohmert says he will take hydroxychloroquine as COVID-19 treatment
:snippity:
I dearly hope this stupid guy gets a long visit in the ICU and stuff poked down his throat to keep him quiet.

Also too, medical oversight boards ought to pull the licences from doctors who disregard medical reseach, don't keep up with publications.

Return to “Coronavirus”