Coronavirus: Sick or Dead by Stoopid

Mr Brolin

Re: Coronavirus: Sick or Dead by Stoopid

Post by Mr Brolin »

Cantering through some of the previous years images....I can't make my mind up if they're real, a real good parody or a rather well disguised F you to the MAGA crew.

For example, the 2017 one has all sorts of weird little bits like the diamond encrusted love heart photo frame of Putin, the globe with losers in sharpie on countries, the bundles of pay off cash behind the desk and the sombrero wearing workers who appear to be walling Trump IN not Mexicans OUT

https://ironhorsesaloon.com/store-sturg ... ump-banner
Slim Cognito
Location: Home to gators, pythons and now trump. trump is the only one that scares me.

Post by Slim Cognito »

Sugar Magnolia wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:17 am Nobody mentioned the kama sutra image on the flag?

On second glance, perhaps bestiality.
I was hoping someone else would.
ImageImageImage x4
Lani

Post by Lani »

Slim Cognito wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:51 am
Sugar Magnolia wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:17 am Nobody mentioned the kama sutra image on the flag?

On second glance, perhaps bestiality.
I was hoping someone else would.
Me, too.
Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

Are any of you aware of a source that specifically speaks to the length of time spent with an infected person affecting your chance of getting the virus? I know 15 minutes is the generally accepted time period, but I can only find references to that, and not a clear explanation of why a cashier face to face with 1000 people for 1 minute at the time is at lower risk than a teacher face to face with 20 kids for 6 hours is.
jmj

Post by jmj »

Sugar Magnolia wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:22 pm Are any of you aware of a source that specifically speaks to the length of time spent with an infected person affecting your chance of getting the virus? I know 15 minutes is the generally accepted time period, but I can only find references to that, and not a clear explanation of why a cashier face to face with 1000 people for 1 minute at the time is at lower risk than a teacher face to face with 20 kids for 6 hours is.
It's really about the amount of virus you are exposed to. I think the idea is that your body can perhaps fight off small amounts of the virus, but when the viral load gets high enough, your body can no longer fight it off and you become infected. So if only 1 of those 1000 customers that you interact with for 1 minute at a time is infected, you're only exposed to a the virus for one minute. The amount of virus you encounter during this minute is likely to be low enough that it won't result in an infection. On the other hand, If one of the kids is infected, you're exposed to the virus for the full 6 hours, which is likely to be enough to cause an infection.

Of course, this assumes that most of the customers are not infected. If all 1000 customers are infected, then the fact that you only spend a minute with each of them probably doesn't provide any advantage. You're still exposed to virus for the full 6 hours.

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any definitive sources about this. This is just my understanding of the situation and it makes some sense to me.

Edit: To address your question a bit more directly about why the cashier is thought to be at a lower risk: assume that there is a background infection rate of e.g. 1% (just arbitrarily chosen) in the general population. It is almost guaranteed that the cashier will encounter ~10 infected customers during the day, and will thus be exposed to the virus for ~10 minutes of their day. That's probably not enough exposure to cause an infection (though I'm not sure we can really say anything for sure at this point).

On the other hand, any individual teacher is less likely to encounter an infected student (with a 1% infection rate, only one out of every 5 teachers will have an infected student in their 20-person classes). However, those unlucky teachers that have the infected student in their class are all exposed for the full 6 hours and are therefore very likely to get infected.
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Here's a needed dose of anti-stupid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ_lYTXQoQk
Somerset

Post by Somerset »

Sugar Magnolia wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:22 pm Are any of you aware of a source that specifically speaks to the length of time spent with an infected person affecting your chance of getting the virus? I know 15 minutes is the generally accepted time period, but I can only find references to that, and not a clear explanation of why a cashier face to face with 1000 people for 1 minute at the time is at lower risk than a teacher face to face with 20 kids for 6 hours is.
Expanding a bit on jmj's post, I believe it's a product of viral concentration times exposure time. The lower the concentration of virus in the air, the longer time you can be exposed without overloading your body's ability to fight it off. Conversely, just a short exposure to a very high viral load is enough to overload your body.

Viral concentration is hard to quantify, so I think that's why there are no hard and fast numbers on what constitutes "too long" of an exposure time for a given situation. I'd expect that just a few minutes of unprotected exposure to virally loaded but asymptomatic toddler would be sufficient to contract the virus, especially if you rubbed your eyes after he coughed on your hands. And there is anecdotal evidence that a couple of hours exposed to a moderate viral load (choir practice, for example) is enough to infect.

Different people also have different susceptibilities to the virus. A time-x-load quantity that might be fought off by a young, healthy person may be enough to overwhelm the immune system of an older, less healthy person.

Trying to quantify all these products of all these variables makes for some extremely wide ranges of safe and unsafe exposure. I suspect that's why there are so few (if any) definitive guidelines for safe exposure. We know what factors lead to higher probability of infection, but I don't think we have enough data to put meaningful numbers around those factors.

We do know, of course, that masks exponentially decrease the viral load around infected people, so wearing a mask is a really good way of preventing the spread of the virus :)
NMgirl

Post by NMgirl »

The WaPo has an interesting article which partially addresses these questions of viral load, why some people can be extensively exposed and remain symptom free, etc. For a change of journalistic pace, the author allows the researchers to expand and doesn’t reduce their comments to kindergarten-level language.

Forty percent of people with coronavirus infections have no symptoms. Might they be the key to ending the pandemic?
New research suggests that some of us may be partially protected due to past encounters with common cold coronaviruses.

When researcher Monica Gandhi began digging deeper into outbreaks of the novel coronavirus, she was struck by the extraordinarily high number of infected people who had no symptoms.

A Boston homeless shelter had 147 infected residents, but 88 percent had no symptoms even though they shared their living space. A Tyson Foods poultry plant in Springdale, Ark., had 481 infections, and 95 percent were asymptomatic. Prisons in Arkansas, North Carolina, Ohio and Virginia counted 3,277 infected people, but 96 percent were asymptomatic.

During its seven-month global rampage, the coronavirus has claimed more than 700,000 lives. But Gandhi began to think the bigger mystery might be why it has left so many more practically unscathed.
What was it about these asymptomatic people, who lived or worked so closely to others who fell severely ill, she wondered, that protected them? Did the “dose” of their viral exposure make a difference? Was it genetics? Or might some people already have partial resistance to the virus, contrary to our initial understanding?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... rus-covid/
Somerset

Post by Somerset »

NMgirl wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:32 am The WaPo has an interesting article which partially addresses these questions of viral load, why some people can be extensively exposed and remain symptom free, etc. For a change of journalistic pace, the author allows the researchers to expand and doesn’t reduce their comments to kindergarten-level language.

Forty percent of people with coronavirus infections have no symptoms. Might they be the key to ending the pandemic?
New research suggests that some of us may be partially protected due to past encounters with common cold coronaviruses.

When researcher Monica Gandhi began digging deeper into outbreaks of the novel coronavirus, she was struck by the extraordinarily high number of infected people who had no symptoms.

A Boston homeless shelter had 147 infected residents, but 88 percent had no symptoms even though they shared their living space. A Tyson Foods poultry plant in Springdale, Ark., had 481 infections, and 95 percent were asymptomatic. Prisons in Arkansas, North Carolina, Ohio and Virginia counted 3,277 infected people, but 96 percent were asymptomatic.

During its seven-month global rampage, the coronavirus has claimed more than 700,000 lives. But Gandhi began to think the bigger mystery might be why it has left so many more practically unscathed.
What was it about these asymptomatic people, who lived or worked so closely to others who fell severely ill, she wondered, that protected them? Did the “dose” of their viral exposure make a difference? Was it genetics? Or might some people already have partial resistance to the virus, contrary to our initial understanding?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... rus-covid/
Great article
Similarly high rates of asymptomatic infection were documented at a pediatric dialysis unit in Indiana, a seafood plant in Oregon and a hair salon in Missouri, all of which used masks. Gandhi was also intrigued by countries such as Singapore, Vietnam and the Czech Republic that had population-level masking.

“They got cases,” she noted, “but fewer deaths.”

The scientific literature on viral dose goes back to around 1938 when scientists began to find evidence that being exposed to one copy of a virus is more easily overcome than being exposed to a billion copies. Researchers refer to the infectious dose as ID50 — or the dose at which 50 percent of the population would become infected.

While we don’t know what that level might be for the coronavirus (it would be unethical to expose humans in this way), previous work on other nonlethal viruses showed that people tend to get less sick with lower doses and more sick with higher doses. A study published in late May involving hamsters, masks and SARS-CoV-2 found those given coverings had milder cases than those who did not get them.
Addie

Post by Addie »

CBS News: Police break up party with nearly 300 people in New Jersey ...

The Howell Police department described the event as a "pop-up" party in a post on Facebook, and said police units remained "prevent others from arriving and/or returning and to monitor surrounding streets as there's been reports of stragglers urinating on people's property and vehicles."

The host of the party, who had charged admission, was arrested and the investigation will continue, police said.

The department said most of the attendees were "compliant," though some were "hesitant" and "directed their anger toward the host." A majority of those in attendance were not local residents, the department said. ...

New Jersey recently experienced a spike in coronavirus cases, as virus hospitalizations and deaths continued to decline in neighboring New York. New Jersey has had 184,773 cases and 14,021 deaths, according to state data.
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver
bob

Post by bob »

Not "sick" (physically), but: NY Post: John McAfee apparently arrested for wearing thong instead of face mask in Norway:
John McAfee knows a thing or two about viruses, but not the kind face masks are meant for — so he was apparently arrested in Norway for wearing a thong over his face instead of a proper cover, according to a report.

McAfee, 74, the eccentric, eponymous founder of the PC antivirus software giant, took to Twitter on Monday to announce that he had been detained because he refused to don a medically certified mask instead of — or over — the ladies underwear, the Daily Mail reported.

In a subsequent tweet, McAfee announced that he was “back in Belarus and, with the exception of a black eye, no worse for wear.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2
Addie

Post by Addie »

CBS News DFW: ‘It’s Real, It Is Serious’: State Rep. Tony Tinderholt, Who Criticized Texas Mask Mandate, 1 Month Into Coronavirus Recovery
Adding:
WaPo: ‘This is no longer a debate’: Florida sheriff bans deputies, visitors from wearing masks
The Guardian: 'This is unstoppable': America's midwest braces itself for a Covid-19 surge

Experts predict an increase in deaths across the region, made significantly worse by lawmakers who question the value of face coverings
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver
Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

Addie wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:56 am
WaPo: ‘This is no longer a debate’: Florida sheriff bans deputies, visitors from wearing masks
I hope the motherfucker dies a painful death from it and any of his deputies or visitors who test positive sue his rotting fucking corpse.
Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

Director of Missions for Rankin Baptist Association loses battle with COVID-19

BRANDON, Miss. (WLBT) - Bro. Allen Stephens, Director of Missions for the Rankin Baptist Association, has lost his battle with COVID-19.

The news was announced Tuesday afternoon by the Rankin Baptists Facebook page.

“It is with a broken heart that I share with you the elevation to Heaven of Bro. Allen Stephens,” the post begins. “He is healed and is seeing first hand the beauty of the one he shared through his life - our Lord and Savior.”
They ask for everyone to continue praying for his wife, Omega, and his daughters along with their extended family.

Monday evening, Stephens was taken by ambulance to Merit Health in Brandon where he would fight “for his life.”

“He has left a tremendous hole and we will surely miss his kind heart and gentle spirit!” the post concludes. “What a wonderful blessing to have ministered alongside him.”
I guess god didn't hear his prayers. Or ignored them.
Frater I*I

Post by Frater I*I »

Sugar Magnolia wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:39 am
They ask for everyone to continue praying for his wife, Omega, and his daughters along with their extended family.

First, who the hell names their kid Omega?[/color

God: "I sent you Dr. Fauci...."
Gazer Into the SovCit Abyss
much ado

Post by much ado »

Director of Missions for Rankin Baptist Association loses battle with COVID-19

BRANDON, Miss. (WLBT) - Bro. Allen Stephens, Director of Missions for the Rankin Baptist Association, has lost his battle with COVID-19.
:snippity:
“He has left a tremendous hole and we will surely miss his kind heart and gentle spirit!” the post concludes. “What a wonderful blessing to have ministered alongside him.”
My guess is that God called him up to explain personally to him, in detail, what a stupid jackass he was.
Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

Frater I*I wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:11 pm

First, who the hell names their kid Omega?

God: "I sent you Dr. Fauci...."
You live in the South and have never known anyone named Omega?
I have known 3 over the years.
Frater I*I

Post by Frater I*I »

Sugar Magnolia wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:04 pm
32 years and never one, though I do know a guy named Storm. Maybe I just don't get out to the rural areas enough, I tend to avoid them.
Gazer Into the SovCit Abyss
Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

Frater I*I wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:12 pm
Sugar Magnolia wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:04 pm
32 years and never one, though I do know a guy named Storm. Maybe I just don't get out to the rural areas enough, I tend to avoid them.
One of them I actually knew when we lived in Dallas. I've only ever lived in a rural area for about a year when I lived on the river on the coast, and the gajillion summers I spent at my grandparent's in the MS Delta..
Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Omega was the name of a villain fought by the 1st three Doctor Whos in the 10th season reunion special. ;)
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo »

Meanwhile, in Sturgis...
...On Sunday, Pinard said he visited a local bar but left after people there were participating in a "sneeze contest."

"It was to see who can sneeze the furthest out," he said. "People were laughing and applauding. I said what the heck, they think it's fake," Pinard said, referring to COVID-19.
Sturgis motorcycle rally attendees lounge in bikinis, pack into bars, and mock mask wearers: 'It's like COVID does not exist here'
https://www.yahoo.com/news/sturgis-moto ... 36151.html
I've heard this bull before.
DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo »

Waseca nursing home sues woman over claims that COVID testing is to 'kill our elderly'
A woman's widely viewed posts warn that residents' lives are in peril due to testing amid "fake pandemic."
https://www.startribune.com/waseca-nurs ... 572081752/
A southern Minnesota nursing home has sued a resident’s relative, alleging that she has said to thousands of people on Facebook that the senior facility is testing residents for COVID-19 in an effort to try to kill them.

The Lake Shore Inn Nursing Home in Waseca also contends in the lawsuit filed Monday that Renae Groskreutz defamed the 55-bed senior center in a video posted in late July when she said they’re testing without proper permission for what she says is a “fake pandemic” and called on everyone to avoid testing and skip wearing a mask.

Groskreutz, of Waldorf, Minn., added to her “smear campaign” by saying that nursing home personnel “don’t need your DNA,” the suit, filed in Waseca County District Court, pointed out.
“Swabbing the nursing home residents and the memory care residents is not going to stop whatever little fake pandemic they have going on. Yes, there is a virus. They haven’t had a case at the nursing home, so why are you invading my aunt’s body? “They are wanting to kill our elderly. ... Do not get tested. They don’t need your DNA. ... We are being kept away from [elderly relatives] for a fake pandemic, people.”
Groskreutz said in an interview Tuesday with the Star Tribune that “it was not my video; it was God’s video. God put some righteous anger in my soul. And until God tells me something different … the video is staying up.”
We need these "I can and will do whatever I want because god" idiots slapped down hard. I commend this nursing home for filing the suit against this malicious woman.
I've heard this bull before.
Foggy
Avatar: Silly engineers have been using 3D printers to make Godzilla arms for chickens.

Post by Foggy »

I think she'll find that her god won't help pay any judgment against her ...
I hope y'all are still wearing your seat belts!
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

DejaMoo wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:11 pm Waseca nursing home sues woman over claims that COVID testing is to 'kill our elderly'
A woman's widely viewed posts warn that residents' lives are in peril due to testing amid "fake pandemic."
https://www.startribune.com/waseca-nurs ... 572081752/
A southern Minnesota nursing home has sued a resident’s relative, alleging that she has said to thousands of people on Facebook that the senior facility is testing residents for COVID-19 in an effort to try to kill them.

“Swabbing the nursing home residents and the memory care residents is not going to stop whatever little fake pandemic they have going on. Yes, there is a virus. They haven’t had a case at the nursing home, so why are you invading my aunt’s body? “They are wanting to kill our elderly. ... Do not get tested. They don’t need your DNA. ... We are being kept away from [elderly relatives] for a fake pandemic, people.”
I may be mistaken, but isn't having residents the way nursing homes make money? Why would they want to kill-off their revenue stream? :? :crazy:
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Sugar Magnolia wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:57 am
Addie wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:56 am
I hope the motherfucker dies a painful death from it and any of his deputies or visitors who test positive sue his rotting fucking corpse.
Me too. It is surprisingly obvious that if everyone who discourages or prevents others from wearing masks died, it would be a better country.
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Return to “Coronavirus”