Coronavirus: Sick or Dead by Stoopid

Addie

Coronavirus: Sick or Dead by Stoopid

Post by Addie »

Thread title changed

-----------------------------
NBC News: California man who posted regret for attending party died a day later of coronavirus

"This is no joke," Thomas Macias wrote on Facebook the day before he died. "If you have to go out wear a mask and practice social distancing."

A California man posted his regret on Facebook about contracting the coronavirus after he attended a party in June. A day later, he died from COVID-19.

On June 20, Thomas Macias, wrote an impassioned message on Facebook in which he lamented ignoring social distancing guidance.

"Some of you may know, but most don't," Macias, 51, wrote. "I ... went out a couple of weeks ago" and contracted the coronavirus.

Macias, who was a truck driver, expressed guilt for having possibly exposed his family to the virus.

"Because of my stupidity I put my mom and sisters and my family's health in jeopardy," he wrote. "This has been a very painful experience."

"Hopefully with God's help," he added, "I'll be able to survive this."

He died the next day.

"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver
Addie

Re: Coronavirus: Deaths by Stoopid

Post by Addie »

-deleted

"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver
RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar »

:shock:

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Post by Dr. Kenneth Noisewater »

I was going to say something about what are these people inbred, but...

Addie

Post by Addie »

BuzzFeed News: The Coronavirus Spread In A Dallas Megachurch's Choir And Orchestra. Then It Hosted Mike Pence.

At least five members of the choir and orchestra at the Dallas megachurch visited by Vice President Mike Pence this weekend tested positive for the coronavirus in June, according to Facebook posts and internal church emails reviewed by BuzzFeed News.

An additional orchestra member had symptoms several days after being exposed and was awaiting a test result in mid-June, according to a call for prayers sent to the church’s musicians.

None of those six people were at the First Baptist church in Dallas during Pence’s hour-and-a-half-hour visit on Sunday, but it's unclear how many of the musicians who performed for Pence may have been exposed during previous practices and performances with those who were infected.

Public health experts have expressed particular concerns about the dangers of indoor singing and wind instruments in large groups, which can readily spread the respiratory virus.

The choir and orchestra performed for Pence without masks, according to a video of the event reviewed by BuzzFeed News.

Addie

Post by Addie »

H/T jmj - ty
jmj wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:23 am https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/01/nyre ... party.html
Party Guests Won’t Talk After 9 Test Positive. Now They Face Subpoenas.

On June 17, a crowd of up to 100 people, most of them in their early 20s, attended a party at a home in Rockland County, N.Y., just north of New York City.

:snippity:

The party’s host, who was showing signs of being sick at the time, later tested positive for the virus. So did eight guests. County officials, eager to keep the cluster from growing, dispatched disease tracers to try to learn who else might have been exposed to the virus at the party.

The tracers hit a wall.

“My staff has been told that a person does not wish to, or have to, speak to my disease investigators,” Dr. Patricia Schnabel Ruppert, the county’s health commissioner, said on Wednesday. Of those being contacted about the party, she added: “They hang up. They deny being at the party even though we have their names from another party attendee.”

Frustrated by the response, county officials on Wednesday took the unusual step of issuing subpoenas to eight people who they believe were at the June 17 party. Those who do not comply and share what they know by Thursday will face fines of $2,000 a day, officials said.
:madguy:

In New York City, where 3,000 disease detectives and case monitors had been hired by last month, early data showed that only about two in every five people who had tested positive for the virus or were presumed to have it shared information about close contacts with tracers.
We're never going to get a handle on this when we're only tracing 40% of cases. And I wouldn't be surprised if many places are doing worse than New York at tracing....

Addie

Post by Addie »

WaPo: The virus didn’t stop a Washington socialite from throwing a backyard soiree. Then the tests came back positive. ...

Ashley Taylor Bronczek, one of Washington’s social stars, decided to throw a party after the Washington Ballet’s online fundraiser, which she co-chaired. The June 18 gala was a huge success, raising more than $800,000 — the top sponsors were her generous in-laws, David and Judy Bronczek. To celebrate the occasion, she hosted a catered dinner for a couple dozen friends in the backyard of her Spring Valley home. It was, by all accounts, a picture-perfect night chronicled on (per usual) her Instagram account.

Then Bronczek, 37, was diagnosed with covid-19, along with a few other guests at the event. The news spread quickly through the wealthy young families in her social circle because their small children play together. Friends begged her to take down photos of the party, which she eventually did. But details of the evening — some true, some exaggerated — were already all over town. ...

Citing health issues, Bronczek originally offered to answer questions for this article via email, then changed her mind and declined to comment. Some guests who attended the party also declined to comment or claimed they were, in fact, not at the event. Ten others in Bronczek’s circle were willing to discuss details of the evening only if they were not named. ...

Technically, the dinner violated the District’s Phase 1 guidelines, which prohibited gatherings of more than 10 people. And the tables were large rounds with eight or 10 place settings — which is lovely for dinner conversation but perhaps unwise during a pandemic. Still, there was no sign anyone was sick and everyone seemed happy to forget about the virus, if only for one night. ...

It is, of course, unclear how or when Bronczek contracted the virus and whom she may have passed it to, and there's no reason to believe she knew she had it. But within hours of the dinner, she began showing symptoms and was diagnosed shortly thereafter. Others who sat at her table are rumored to have also tested positive but did not return calls or declined to comment. Citing federal privacy laws, the ballet said that it cannot disclose any personal health information about any staff or artists.

The news spread among Bronczek’s friends, many of whom had attended the dinner or had children in her backyard summer camp. The kids had been part of an informal play group of wealthy families who interacted on a regular basis and spent a lot of time together. But the hostess was slow to share her diagnosis with her circle — fearful of the social fallout, according to some friends, as much as the virus. Eventually, she texted the news, and families rushed to get tested.

And that fallout has been unsparing — not just for hosting the party, but for failing to immediately notify anyone who may have been exposed to the virus.

Addie

Post by Addie »

Axios: GOP congressman calls on White House to disband coronavirus task force

Rep. Andy Biggs (R-Ariz.) on Thursday called for the White House to dissolve its coronavirus task force so that health officials like Anthony Fauci and Deborah Birx are prevented from contradicting many of President Trump’s "stated goals and actions" when it comes to the economy.

Why it matters: Maricopa County, part of which Biggs represents, has seen record-breaking spikes in coronavirus cases, with more than 52,000 cases and 817 deaths — the highest in the state.

Fauci, the nation's top infectious diseases expert, warned in congressional testimony this week that he would "not be surprised" if the U.S. begins reporting as many as 100,000 new coronavirus cases per day.

"I'm very concerned and not satisfied with what's going on because we're going in the wrong direction," Fauci testified.

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise »

Methinks the Republicans should change their historic elephant to an ostrich since they seem to prefer burying their heads in the sand. :roll:

M A C A Making America Care Again :daydream:
NMgirl

Post by NMgirl »

On a personal note, I find it infuriating that my own children, all of whom are well educated, all of them with jobs that are intellectually rigorous, all of them well informed, are so heedlessly effing stoopid. They were very careful in April and May. But when June arrived—vacation time!—they resumed their social lives and the social lives of their young children. Desperately worried that there will be no school in the fall, one of my sons-in-law nevertheless took six flights last week. For this ostensibly-essential business trip, he opted to stay with friends. Today, he is setting out on a two-day climbing trip with five other guys. How will they get to the trailhead? Why, they’re going in two cars. If the weather goes bad on the mountain, they’ll be sharing a tent. Two of the climbers are doctors. All of them are in their late thirties.

Meanwhile, the little ones are in day camps, play with the neighborhood kids, have a young, socially active nanny who has roommates.

Lamentations about the prospect of no school come autumn are falling on my very deaf ears. I remain silent because there would be resentment. But they need to grow.the.fuck.up.
Edit: Sorry for the rant. I need to vent.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

My friend was notified around noon that she had been exposed at her physical therapy session. They've known since MONDAY but didn't bother to notify others until today. They're notifying people in "alphabetical order" so it took a while to get to her.

Her name starts with a C.

Addie

Post by Addie »

NMgirl :grouphug:

kate520

Post by kate520 »

NM, this is the place for ranting. We get it. :bighug:

I’m afraid to open my mouth around my family these days, I sound like such a crazy person, even to myself. The MAGAts who won’t wear masks because they’re a liberal conspiracy to turn us all into commies are everywhere, not just in red states. Sprout is 21 and, like his friends, convinced he’s invincible. He hears my rants daily and I think he gets it, but his friends from religious families don’t. God is protecting them and this is part of the radical left persecution of Christians. :roll:

DEFEND DEMOCRACY
Estiveo

Post by Estiveo »

There's couple I've known forever, both college educated, good people, very liberal; she's retired, he holds a fairly high position for a well-known healthcare insurance company. They've been cheerfully complying with the lockdown until about 2 or 3 weeks ago, when they decided they would start cautiously going out a little as things started opening back up around the bay area.

Cautiously seems to have lasted about 2 days. They've been posting pictures of themselves & various friends partying, sans masks or social distancing, on the patios of multiple restaurants & bars from Pleasanton to Santa Rosa to Santa Cruz.

Now, pre-covid, I'd describe their lifestyle as upscale bar-fly partiers, putting the fun in functional alcoholic. Seriously, her Facebook page was filled with brunches, lunches & dinners with photos of the drinks, but rarely of the food.

All it took was one lunch on a restaurant's just opened patio, and they decided the pandemic was over.

We're doomed. The tide-pod generation, the ladies who lunch, and the country club set are going to kill us all

Image Image Image Image Image
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

Sunrise wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:50 pm Methinks the Republicans should change their historic elephant to an ostrich since they seem to prefer burying their heads in the sand. :roll:
The Lemming might be more appropriate. They seem to be perfectly happy to follow their dear leader off a cliff.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

‘Covid Parties’ Are Not a Thing
No, Alabama frat boys aren’t doing snot shots and betting on who can get sick first. Why does the media keep suggesting otherwise?

THE DREADED “COVID party” has come to Alabama. Even as the number of hospitalized coronavirus patients in the state reached record highs, news came out this week that college students in Tuscaloosa have been throwing parties with infected guests, then betting on the contagion that ensues. “They put money in a pot and they try to get Covid,” said City Council member Sonya McKinstry. “Whoever gets Covid first gets the pot. It makes no sense.”

That much, at least, is true: This story makes no sense. Despite its implausibility and utter lack of valid sourcing, the fantasy of Alabama virus gamblers has nonetheless exploded across the internet, with slack-jawed coverage turning up in CNN, the New York Post, and the Associated Press, among many others. A representative headline declares, “Tuscaloosa students held parties, bet on who got coronavirus first.”

This is not the first reporting on the spread of Covid parties, which are, in fact, neither happening nor spreading. Back in March, Kentucky governor Andy Beshear announced during a daily public-health update that one case in the state had been tied to a “coronavirus party.” “We ought to be much better than that,” he said. “We should forgive that person, but no more of these—anywhere, statewide, ever, for any reason.” His one-sentence anecdote, presented without any further detail, was dutifully passed along as news by CNN, NPR, The Washington Post, and other outlets.

Then in April, The New York Times ran an op-ed from epidemiologist Greta Bauer, offering “seven reasons your ‘coronavirus party’ is a bad idea.” She’d heard “rumblings” that these events were going on, the piece explains, because some people think they would be better off with antibodies.

Rumblings had developed into rumors by the start of May, when a public health official in Walla Walla, Washington, claimed to have discovered, via careful contact tracing, that at least two patients had indeed attended “Covid parties” so as to “get it over with.” The local police chief told reporters that he wouldn’t rule out criminal charges for any other such events, but assured them that “we’re not going to overreact.” Two days later, the same public health official admitted she’d been wrong: “We have discovered that there were not intentional Covid parties,” she said. “Just innocent endeavors.”

The latest version of the tale, from Alabama, follows the same pattern as the others. It appears to be the product of a weird game of telephone mixed with loose talk from public officials and disgracefully sloppy journalism. On Tuesday, Tuscaloosa fire chief Randy Smith told the city council that his department had heard about parties “where students or kids would come in with known positives.” It sounded like just a rumor, Smith said, but “not only did the doctors’ offices help confirm it, but the state also confirmed they had the same information.”

You’ll notice immediately that Smith didn’t say anything about people trying to get sick, let alone betting on who could do it first. So why is everyone saying that’s what happened? The notion seems to have originated with McKinstry, who shared it with ABC News after the meeting. It’s not clear whether McKinstry had a source for this idea, and she did not reply to WIRED’s request for comment. The Alabama Department of Health responded with a statement that it “has not been able to verify such parties have taken place.” It’s not even clear that the fire chief had it right about kids going to parties while knowing they were sick. (The Tuscaloosa Fire Department did not reply to a request for comment, either.) But that didn’t stop the dogpile of national media outlets repeating and amplifying the Covid betting-pot story as if it were fact.

https://www.wired.com/story/covid-parti ... t-a-thing/

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

The COVID-19 party thing keeps coming up as a thing.

Slim Cognito
Location: Home to gators, pythons and now trump. trump is the only one that scares me.

Post by Slim Cognito »

Well, it may not be a "COVID-19 Party!!" but if they're getting together to hang out socially indoors, or in close quarters outdoors unmasked, they are still COVID-19 parties.

ImageImageImage x4
Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

A bunch of positives after rush parties at Ole Miss last month.

Close enough.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Ugh. We've been invited to our nieces' wedding at the end of the month over in Parma ID (essentially a suburb of Boise). We love her to death. But, as much as we would love to see my sister and her family, our nieces' recent FB posts shows her and her betrothed rafting with a couple dozen friends, hanging out in the backyard, riding horses, motorcycling, etc, with nary a mask in sight. They are part of that "Covid ain't no big deal" community. They haven't gotten it .... yet.

We've decided against attending. Now, we just have to arrive at the most polite and judicious way of wording our decline. The first draft involves Portland area being a hotbed of CV19 (true), and me facing the public everyday (true), we don't want to risk spreading it to them (kinda true). A work in progress. I have a couple days to wordsmith it while we get a prepaid Visa and a wedding card for them. They are both college students living with their parents with no immediate plans with whom they will be combining households. So, money seems more appropriate than a toaster or dinner set.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

Bill_G wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:55 am Ugh. We've been invited to our nieces' wedding at the end of the month over in Parma ID (essentially a suburb of Boise). We love her to death. But, as much as we would love to see my sister and her family, our nieces' recent FB posts shows her and her betrothed rafting with a couple dozen friends, hanging out in the backyard, riding horses, motorcycling, etc, with nary a mask in sight. They are part of that "Covid ain't no big deal" community. They haven't gotten it .... yet.

We've decided against attending. Now, we just have to arrive at the most polite and judicious way of wording our decline. The first draft involves Portland area being a hotbed of CV19 (true), and me facing the public everyday (true), we don't want to risk spreading it to them (kinda true). A work in progress. I have a couple days to wordsmith it while we get a prepaid Visa and a wedding card for them. They are both college students living with their parents with no immediate plans with whom they will be combining households. So, money seems more appropriate than a toaster or dinner set.
I suppose a gift certificate to a lawyer for wills and Health Care Directives would be tacky.

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)
Addie

Post by Addie »

See how you are. :rotflmao:
Whatever4 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:05 am
Bill_G wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:55 am
I suppose a gift certificate to a lawyer for wills and Health Care Directives would be tacky.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Whatever4 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:05 am
We're on the same page. We were thinking of a notice from St Peter accepting their reservation.

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl »

You’ve made the right decision, Bill. People have to make a choice: Let the corona virus rage on and on for months or years, or cut out the damn partying. I’m now explicit when we receive invitations. “Sorry, we can’t come. We’re at risk.” At least that way the hosts might stop to think a bit about the societal cost of gathering in groups. Perhaps.

We always give cash as a wedding present. If it’s a relative, we might also give them that “special family memento” which has been sitting in the back of a drawer or cupboard for umpteem thousand years. Winning!

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise »

noblepa wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:04 pm
Sunrise wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:50 pm Methinks the Republicans should change their historic elephant to an ostrich since they seem to prefer burying their heads in the sand. :roll:
The Lemming might be more appropriate. They seem to be perfectly happy to follow their dear leader off a cliff.
Point well made. Maybe they can use both. :-D

M A C A Making America Care Again :daydream:

Return to “Coronavirus”