Coronavirus: It's inside the White House

Suranis

Re: Coronavirus: It's inside the White House

Post by Suranis »

Yahoo News apparently had a story up that Pence is Positive for C-19. It was pulled quickly, but considering that they are looking for Prayers kinda shows that could be true.
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

Suranis wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 10:36 pm
Yahoo News apparently had a story up that Pence is Positive for C-19. It was pulled quickly, but considering that they are looking for Prayers kinda shows that could be true.
Interesting. But the announcement that Pence would be back Monday would seem wrong then. If Pence did test positive, I’d think Trump would have someone measuring the drapes in Pence’s office for a new inhabitant.

In unrelated news, I see Nikki Haley stepped down from her spot on the Boeing Board of Directors on March 19, 2020. She opposed government aid to bail out Boeing in the wake of the Coronavirus pandemic.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Turtle

Post by Turtle »

I overheard on the teevee that there were around 60 SS agents testing positive.

Lani

Post by Lani »

I couldn't find much. USA Today claims: "At least 11 U.S. Secret Service members were reported to be infected with the coronavirus and about 60 other staffers were in self-quarantine, a person familiar with the matter said Friday." https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 105283001/

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Clearly, by forcibly removing masks, the White House is trying to project confidence to the public. The GOP has always been better at getting their members to toe the line with a unified message even when it's wrong. This time, they are literally passing the revolver to everyone requiring they spin the chamber and pull the trigger to prove loyalty.

Addie

Post by Addie »

CNN - Stephen Collinson: White House Covid cases contradict Trump's message on opening

(CNN)The White House Covid-19 outbreak is undermining President Donald Trump's narrative that it's safe to open up the country and that diagnostic testing is of limited importance.

The news of three top health officials, all members of the administration's coronavirus task force, self-quarantining in some form after one of Trump's valets and another West Wing aide tested positive is jarring alongside Trump's desire to move on from the pandemic and to concentrate on the staggering economic dimension of the crisis.

The latest developments pose an essential question: If people around Trump are not protected from the virus in the most highly secured workplace in the country, how can it be safe for anyone else to go back to work?

It's not, and Trump knows it. He's worried that aides contracting the virus will undercut his message that the outbreak is fading, according to a person who spoke to him. He's asked why his valets weren't ordered to wear masks before this week, according to the person, even though that's the example he himself has set. And Trump has told people he doesn't want to be near anyone who hasn't been tested, according to the person who spoke to the President, CNN's Kevin Liptak reported.

But most Americans -- whom Trump hopes will contribute to opening the economy that is so crucial for his reelection campaign -- will not have access to the aggressive repeated testing and contact tracing now in place in the White House. Trump has argued that testing should primarily be up to governors to sort out. He has also repeatedly downplayed the importance of testing even though experts say that it is critical to establishing the penetration of the virus and to preventing new waves of infection as normal life begins to resume.

The discovery of the virus in Trump's inner sanctum comes at a moment when the White House has all but stopped offering medical and scientific information to the public in televised public briefings — furthering the impression that it wants to pivot away from the crisis, even when infections are rising in many states that are opening.
Adding:
Business Insider: The White House is testing its staff for coronavirus using a device that often gives false negatives
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

For the sake of discussion, imagine a scenario whereby both Donald Trump, AND Mike Pence became sick enough at the same time that they both were placed on ventilators.

How would the GOP handle that?

I don't mean the nutjob base, I know how they would react, but how would each of the following groups react?

The existing WH staff and cabinet. Personally I suspect that they we old try to hide the situation or otherwise do everything they could to disrupt a smooth continuation of authority. In short, I expect that they would be total assholes to the point of criminal actions and sedition.

The Senate Leadership. From Mitch McConnell and crew, I expect a complete abdictation of their duties and responsibilities. I can't see them cooperating in any way, shape or form. I see them making unreasonable demands and conditions.

The GOP house. from Devin Nunes, Gohmert, and crew I expect a full fledged temper tantrum meltdown.

It would be fun to see, if it wasn't so serious.

tek

Post by tek »

Chilidog wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 10:21 am
For the sake of discussion, imagine a scenario whereby both Donald Trump, AND Mike Pence became sick enough at the same time that they both were placed on ventilators.

How would the GOP handle that?
"just when you thought this shitshow couldn't get any worse..."
There's no way back
from there to here

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

How a rational government handles things-

Illinois gov's staffer tests positive; office now working from home

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-n ... BlogHeader
Employees working in the office of Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker in Chicago must work from home after a senior staff member tested positive for the coronavirus, officials said Monday.

The staff member, who was asymptomatic and tested positive late last week, had been in close contact with Pritzker and other staff members, according to a news release. The governor and his other office employees have been tested and their results were negative, the news release added, but all are self-isolating at home out of precaution.

About 20 other staffers who work in the building of the James R. Thompson Center are still reporting to that location and are undergoing daily temperature checks, wearing masks and social distancing under public health guidelines.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Those silly Democrats. It's just the flu, right?

Addie

Post by Addie »

WaPo: Most White House officials will have to wear masks, but Trump will be exempt
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Yeah - who ever would want the leader of the free world to look stupid :?: :cantlook: :doh:

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Scott Wong Retweeted
Philip Rucker
@PhilipRucker
·
19m
At least two White House staffers in Rose Garden ahead of Trump event are not wearing masks, despite staff memo

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl »

Chilidog wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 10:21 am

How would the GOP handle that? :snippity:
Perfect opportunity for Melania, First Lap Dancer First Lady, to wear her "I don't really care, do you" jacket, mais non?

tek

Post by tek »

d-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's no way back
from there to here

Lani

Post by Lani »

I didn't find this elsewhere. Sorry if it's a duplicate.

Fauci says reopening U.S. economy too soon could lead to needless deaths: NYT
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... SKBN22O0EJ
“This will not only result in needless suffering and death, but would actually set us back on our quest to return to normal.”

Fauci said the danger of trying to open the country prematurely was his major message for the Senate Health Education, Labor and Pensions committee at the meeting, the paper said late on Monday.
Tuesday 10:00 AM Eastern Time
Watch: https://www.help.senate.gov/hearings/co ... cle_inline

Addie

Post by Addie »

Independent - Hannah Selinger: Coronavirus is ravaging the White House and it's too late for anyone to learn from it

Not only are we now all in a ship without a captain, but the only person supposedly qualified to take over from the captain has also been exposed ...

Other countries are improving. Other countries will surely survive. Ours may suffer even more needless death, due to an egomaniac’s lack of action, which is all now playing itself out in real time. If you doubted the power of social distancing and mask-wearing two weeks ago, you can see its impact today, as a president and vice president who took zero precautions now cower in the face of their own mortality. I wish them no ill, but I find it fitting that this disease has finally found its way to their doorstep. While we have learned that coronavirus is no equalizer, in that it has unjustly targeted minorities and the poor — the people who have been unable to properly isolate due to their front-line jobs or inadequate housing, or who have health conditions brought on by systemic poverty and racism — we have also learned that ignoring science is a baseline. The grim reaper does not buy into the conspiracy theory of drinking bleach.

Trump’s moniker of Teflon Don may, ultimately apply here, too. I won’t be surprised if he somehow survives the pandemic unscathed. But his closest allies — the ones who share his most intimate spaces — are now just as likely to become infected as the rest of us Americans, who have fallen victim to his poor policies and ignorant decisions. The White House is supposed to be the most sealed and protected place in the United States, and it just proved itself porous. What does that say about the fate awaiting the rest of us?

In this pandemic, President Trump has botched absolutely everything from the top down, and now even those in his innermost circle are suffering because of it. His White House is our mirror. As we crumble out here, he crumbles in there, too. If only it were not too late for this lesson to mean anything of import.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Ramping up to protect Trump.
Shimon Prokupecz
@ShimonPro
·
3m
In addition to daily temperature checks and questioning, members of the restricted in-house press pool will be given a rapid coronavirus test daily, the White House said Tuesday.
@betsy_klein

Azastan

Post by Azastan »

Volkonski wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 11:27 am
Ramping up to protect Trump.
Shimon Prokupecz
@ShimonPro
·
3m
In addition to daily temperature checks and questioning, members of the restricted in-house press pool will be given a rapid coronavirus test daily, the White House said Tuesday.
@betsy_klein
The test will be such a handy way to deny access to those pesky journalists who insist on asking questions.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

And it has a 15% inaccuracy rate.
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

I thought I heard that Pence was being forced to distance himself from twitler for the foreseeable future. Too little; too late.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo »

I'm an atheist. At this point, about the only thing that might convince me of the existence of a Higher Power would be if both Trump and Pence got infected and died from it.

NADT, just an observation that IMO, if there was a god, especially a vengeful god, there truly would be consequences.
I've heard this bull before.

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

DejaMoo wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 7:31 pm
I'm an atheist. At this point, about the only thing that might convince me of the existence of a Higher Power would be if both Trump and Pence got infected and died from it.

NADT, just an observation that IMO, if there was a god, especially a vengeful god, there truly would be consequences.
Same.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl »

fierceredpanda wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 8:06 pm
DejaMoo wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 7:31 pm

Same.
Same.

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

Even that wouldn't make me believe in a supernatural being.

But it would be good karma. :lol:
For more information, read it again. || When science is outlawed, only outlaws will have science.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Return to “Coronavirus”