Coronavirus: Violent Extremism / Reopeners

Addie

Coronavirus: Violent Extremism / Reopeners

Post by Addie »

Politico
DHS warns of increase in violent extremism amid coronavirus lockdowns

A DHS memo cites recent arrests of individuals who have threatened government facilities and elected officials over health restrictions in response to the coronavirus pandemic.

Domestic terrorists and violent extremists are mobilizing in response to the coronavirus pandemic, and the threat could get more severe “until the virus is contained and the normal routine of U.S. societal life resumes,” according to a Department of Homeland Security intelligence note sent to law enforcement officials around the country.

The memo, dated April 23 and obtained by POLITICO, cites recent arrests of individuals who have threatened government facilities and elected officials over the health restrictions that have been imposed to stop the spread of Covid-19. The warning, marked unclassified/law enforcement sensitive, was disseminated as so-called Liberate protesters have begun demonstrating outside several states' capitol buildings demanding an end to the lockdowns.

Those arrested in the last month include an “anti-government extremist” who threatened to kill New Mexico’s governor over the coronavirus restrictions, and another individual who was arrested late last month for allegedly threatening to blow up the Orlando Police Department’s headquarters — hours after a countywide stay-at-home order was put into effect — because people are being “put ... out of work” because of the pandemic. ...

“As the COVID-19 threat expands throughout the United States, the violent extremist threat will also continue to evolve, potentially increasing in frequency and severity,” the April 23 memo reads.

While social distancing measures have made mass gatherings less ubiquitous and therefore more difficult for bad actors to target, “the pandemic has created a new source of anger and frustration for some individuals,” the memo says. “As a result, violent extremist plots will likely involve individuals seeking targets symbolic to their personal grievances.”
Adding:
NBC News: Coronavirus and its social effects fueling extremist violence, says government report

The report cites 2 incidents involving suspected domestic extremists and 2 incidents in Florida that DHS labeled non-ideological.
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

Addie

Re: Coronavirus: Violent Extremism

Post by Addie »

HuffPo: Amid The Pandemic, U.S. Militia Groups Plot 'The Boogaloo'

A report published Thursday by the watchdog group the Tech Transparency Project found 125 Facebook groups devoted to the idea of the “boogaloo,” a far-right term used to describe what they believe is an inevitable civil war in the U.S. Members discuss weapons, combat medicine, and how to develop explosives, the report says. One group even shared a document detailing how to disrupt U.S. government supply lines and discussing the possible need to assassinate government officials.

These groups have proliferated during the pandemic, according to the report, as right-wing extremists grow more agitated over lockdown orders aimed at slowing the spread of the virus, measures many militia and “patriot” groups view as the oppressive maneuverings of a tyrannical government.

Over 60% of the groups were created in just the last three months, according to the report. The 125 groups have nearly 73,000 members, though it’s unclear how many individuals may belong to multiple groups.

About 50% of the groups’ members have joined within the last 30 days.
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

Addie

Post by Addie »

NBC News: Conservative activist family behind 'grassroots' anti-quarantine Facebook events

Protests against state stay-at-home orders have attracted a wide range of fringe activists and ardent Trump supporters. They have also attracted a family of political activists whom some Republican lawmakers have called "scam artists."

A family-run network of pro-gun groups is behind five of the largest Facebook groups dedicated to protesting the shelter-in-place restrictions, according to an NBC News analysis of Facebook groups and website registration information.

The groups were set up by four brothers — Chris, Ben, Aaron and Matthew Dorr — and have amassed more than 200,000 members collectively, including in states where they don't reside, according to an NBC News analysis based on public records searches and Facebook group registrations. The Dorr brothers are known in conservative circles for running pro-gun and anti-abortion rights Facebook groups that bring in hundreds of thousands of dollars annually by antagonizing establishment conservative leaders and activists.

Their usual method is to attack established conservative groups from the right, including the National Rifle Association, and then make money by selling memberships in their groups or selling mailing lists of those who sign up, according to some conservative politicians and activists who have labeled the efforts as scams.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Addie wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:31 pm
NBC News: Conservative activist family behind 'grassroots' anti-quarantine Facebook events
Sounds like astro-turf.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Bill_G wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:58 am
Addie wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:31 pm
Sounds like astro-turf.
It is. JJ MacNab has several Twitter threads on this.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

pipistrelle wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:23 am

It is. JJ MacNab has several Twitter threads on this.
She's great.

Addie

Post by Addie »

Does it not belong in this thread? I thought I remembered a thread about scams, but I didn't find it. I don't mind moving it to wherever is more appropriate.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Addie wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:31 am
Does it not belong in this thread? I thought I remembered a thread about scams, but I didn't find it. I don't mind moving it to wherever is more appropriate.
While the brothers who got involved in many of these are scammers, they promote extremism, and the people who showed up for these (with long guns and Confederate and snek flags) are the usual violent extremists who show up for whatever anti-government cause floats across their preferred social media.

MojoSapien

Post by MojoSapien »

I'm only :violin: 1/2 Irish

Addie

Post by Addie »

Thanks, Pipi. I'll leave it.
pipistrelle wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:36 am
Addie wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:31 am
While the brothers who got involved in many of these are scammers, they promote extremism, and the people who showed up for these (with long guns and Confederate and snek flags) are the usual violent extremists who show up for whatever anti-government cause floats across their preferred social media.

MojoSapien

Post by MojoSapien »

quecouix

Addie

Post by Addie »

The Guardian: Far right hijack coronavirus crisis to push agenda and boost support

Extremists are using the pandemic to promote themselves as supporters of the community and spread fake information ...

A report by Zinc Network, a communications agency that tracks disinformation and propaganda, suggests there has been a clear pivot among far-right groups in the UK, EU and US to “utilise the pandemic to bring new relevancy, attention and support for their key grievances”.

“The evidence we’ve uncovered shows that far-right groups in the UK are using Covid-19 to promote a British form of fascism,” said Louis Brooke, executive director of research and strategy at Zinc Network.

“Their tactics are sophisticated, and their activity is becoming more difficult to monitor, partly due to the use of private messaging apps to share disinformation and propaganda. We’re seeing the dissemination of material claiming that immigrants spread coronavirus, and that authoritarian regimes outperform western liberal democracies in tackling the health crisis.”

Addie

Post by Addie »

CNHI News Oklahoma: City of Stillwater drops mask requirement after businesses threatened

An emergency declaration that took effect at midnight Friday has been amended after businesses reported their employees were being threatened with physical harm by members of the public who didn't want to wear face coverings.

The changes make the wearing of face coverings in retail establishments optional rather than mandatory for customers, although it is still strongly recommended, employees are still required to wear them and the proclamation is extended to 11:59 p.m. May 31.

City Manager Norman McNickle issued a statement about the change and the controversy surrounding mandatory face coverings: “In the short time beginning on May 1, 2020, that face coverings have been required for entry into stores/restaurants, store employees have been threatened with physical violence and showered with verbal abuse. In addition, there has been one threat of violence using a firearm. This has occurred in three short hours and in the face of clear medical evidence that face coverings helps contain the spread of COVID-19.

“Many of those with objections cite the mistaken belief the requirement is unconstitutional, and under their theory, one cannot be forced to wear a mask. No law or court supports this view. In fact, a recent Federal lawsuit against Guthrie’s face covering order was fully dismissed by the United States District Court for the Western District of Oklahoma.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Hopefully the gun toter was charged with assault.

Addie

Post by Addie »

Statesman: Park ranger shoved in lake as he explains coronavirus rules to crowd, Texas video shows
Adding:
McClatchy: Park ranger shoved in lake as he explains coronavirus rules to crowd, Texas video shows ...

The video matches the description of an arrest made by cops on Thursday, KXAN reported.

Brandon J. Hicks, 25, was charged with attempted assault of a public servant, according to the Austin TV station.

According to court documents, the park ranger was standing on a dock speaking to people unlawfully drinking and smoking when he was shoved, the Austin American Statesman reported.

It could have “caused the ranger to strike his head on the dock as he was falling,” the affidavit obtained by the newspaper says.

Hicks remained in Travis County jail on Friday, records show.

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Addie wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 9:22 am

Brandon J. Hicks, 25, was charged with attempted assault of a public servant, according to the Austin TV station.

According to court documents, the park ranger was standing on a dock speaking to people unlawfully drinking and smoking when he was shoved, the Austin American Statesman reported.

It could have “caused the ranger to strike his head on the dock as he was falling,” the affidavit obtained by the newspaper says.

Hicks remained in Travis County jail on Friday, records show.
I think in most jurisdictions that would be felonious battery on a public official not "attempted assault". He was shoved into the lake.

Addie

Post by Addie »

New York Daily News: California city official says COVID-19 should be allowed to ‘fix’ society by culling elderly, weak and homeless

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

Can someone explain to him that Man in the High Castle was fiction? Or at least we hope it was fiction.
ImageImageImage x4

neeneko

Post by neeneko »

neonzx wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 10:03 am
I think in most jurisdictions that would be felonious battery on a public official not "attempted assault". He was shoved into the lake.
Not a cop or judge, so the local police and prosectors are not going to take it all that seriously.

SLQ

Post by SLQ »

Addie wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 12:28 pm
New York Daily News: California city official says COVID-19 should be allowed to ‘fix’ society by culling elderly, weak and homeless
They did remove this disgusting person from the council: https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/coronav ... s/2283277/
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

SLQ wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 2:09 pm
Addie wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 12:28 pm
They did remove this disgusting person from the council: https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/coronav ... s/2283277/
By the looks of him in the photo, he appears to be in the population likely to be culled.
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey »

I guess a bomb threat could be called extreme.

A China Air cargo flight from Seattle to Taipei had to divert into Anchorage after a bomb threat. It closed the airport while the plane was searched.

What I’m coming up with is that because of ShitGibbon trying to blame China for the virus some Trumpkin thought they would show them commies.

Only problem, China Air is the Taiwan airline.

Air China is the People’s Republic carrier.
I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

Addie

Re: Coronavirus: Violent Extremism / Reopeners

Post by Addie »

New York Times - Neil MacFarquhar: The Coronavirus Becomes a Battle Cry for U.S. Extremists

White supremacists seek to stoke the fear and disruption caused by the pandemic to push their agenda and to recruit.

America’s extremists are attempting to turn the coronavirus pandemic into a potent recruiting tool both in the deep corners of the internet and on the streets of state capitals by twisting the public health crisis to bolster their white supremacist, anti-government agenda.

Although the protests that have broken out across the country have drawn out a wide variety of people pressing to lift stay-at-home orders, the presence of extremists cannot be missed, with their anti-immigrant and anti-Semitic signs and coded messages aimed at inspiring the faithful, say those who track such movements.

April is typically a busy month for white supremacists. There is Hitler’s birthday, which they contort into a celebration. There is the anniversary of the Oklahoma City bombing, the domestic attack 25 years ago that killed 168 people and still serves as a rallying call for new extremist recruits.

But this April, something else overshadowed those chilling milestones. It was the coronavirus, and the disruption it wreaked on society, that became the extremists’ battle cry.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Kendra wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 6:18 pm
[url]https://çm.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10157777692426359&id=18356341358[/url]

I like how the old guys with their long beards and no masks are roaming around in the crowds. #coronavirus approves -- more to cling onto. :thumbs:

I don't see any big guns here, though. I'm disappointed.

And this:
95259121_10157777671531359_2150784364726714368_o-180.jpg
Only the third sentence is true. In the meantime, we are using science and social distancing to slow the little devil down.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Coronavirus”