Re: Coronavirus: Food Supply & Shortages

Post by Chilidog »

Volkonski wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:22 am
Bill_G wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:19 am
Volkonski wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:17 am

Neither the Kroger nor the HEB here have had any olive loaf for weeks.
What is olive loaf - compacted chopped olives? How is it used?
It is bologna with olives in it.

A good use for a hole punch

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Seems more sensible if you want olives with your luncheon meat, you just add olives on your sandwich... and not need pay for them to be them pre-embedded. :?

Is this how rich people live?

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Rich people also enjoy-

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

I've never eaten any of those. If I wanted olives, I'd add them to a sandwich.

Hubby went out to pick up some things two days ago. Meat at our grocery store is now limited to two items. The last time he was there more than a week ago, there was no limit. I was a little surprised at that as Costco had put a limit of three on, but I was shocked that Giant Eagle had such a low limit so soon after no limit.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Alcohol-based hand sanitizer showed up in the local Winn Dixie today. Lot's of it. I conclude that the manufacturing sector has adapted.

Purell disappeared from the shelves about March 10. So fifteen weeks?
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

12? Regardless, if people aren't willing to wear a freaking mask, I suspect their other sanitation routines have fallen way off too.
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

p0rtia wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:15 am
Alcohol-based hand sanitizer showed up in the local Winn Dixie today. Lot's of it. I conclude that the manufacturing sector has adapted.

We're refilling Purell pumps with booze - 80% ethanol from a local distillery. Ain't nobody drinking it. Might as well wash in it.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

TexasFilly wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:20 am
12? Regardless, if people aren't willing to wear a freaking mask, I suspect their other sanitation routines have fallen way off too.
:like:
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

Those loaf things look nasty. :sick:

I also don’t like scrapple.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

SLQ

Post by SLQ »

And I was thinking bread:

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Volkonski wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 10:36 am
Rich people also enjoy-
This one scares me the most. :shock:

They thought it necessary to state those little flecks in the ham are "Made with Real (Kraft) Cheese".

Seriously, who buys this stuff? :?

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

I am somewhat tempted to try the olive loaf lunch meat for the hell of it.

@SLQ, IIRC QFC deli has a sandwich (the Madrona?) that's wrapped up with olive loaf, the real olive loaf bread. If they still have it, try it. YUM.

Happy to find that today's pickup order from Kroger owned Fred Meyer did not have shortages on my ice cream choices.

JohnPCapitalist
Occupation: Investment management in the financial industry. Deep knowledge of stocks, tech and economics.

Post by JohnPCapitalist »

neonzx wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:47 pm
Volkonski wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 10:36 am
Rich people also enjoy-
This one scares me the most. :shock:

They thought it necessary to state those little flecks in the ham are "Made with Real (Kraft) Cheese".

Seriously, who buys this stuff? :?
That's an abomination. I'd never eat that.

I much prefer Boston bangers stuffed with cheddar that one buys at Trader Joe's. Buying deadly artery-clogging junk food at Trader Joe's instead of at the Circle K makes the same stuff way more highbrow and upscale and therefore OK.

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo »

Olive loaf and P&P loaf are both yummy, but Sooo Very salty.
Image Image Image Image Image

Addie

Post by Addie »

Associated Press: 24 Spokane pasta factory workers test positive for COVID-19

SPOKANE, Wash. (AP) — A pasta company has announced there was a coronavirus outbreak at its Spokane factory as Washington state prepares to reopen parts of its economy following a two-month lockdown.

Philadelphia Macaroni Company Inc. confirmed the outbreak in a statement Friday saying 72 workers were tested for the virus and 24 were positive, the Spokesman-Review reported.

For most people, the new coronavirus causes mild or moderate symptoms, such as fever and cough that clear up in two to three weeks. For some, especially older adults and people with existing health problems, it can cause more severe illness, including pneumonia and death.

The outbreak led to an increase in cases in Spokane County where no more than five people tested positive for COVID-19 every day in May until this week, health officials said. There have been 31 confirmed cases reported in the county between Thursday and Friday. Spokane County has had 450 people with COVID-19.
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

Judge Roy Bean

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Bill_G wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:24 am
p0rtia wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:15 am

We're refilling Purell pumps with booze - 80% ethanol from a local distillery. Ain't nobody drinking it. Might as well wash in it.
Just be careful - that stuff is flammable.

JRB
“Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.”
Walter Lippmann

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Judge Roy Bean wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:58 pm

Just be careful - that stuff is flammable.

JRB
Oh yeah. That would explain ...

Never mind.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Doctors Warn Leaving Hand Sanitizers In Cars Is A Fire Hazard
With it's high alcohol content, hand sanitizer can potentially ignite under high temperatures.
The Canadian Press
05/23/2020 21:02 EDT

EDMONTON — Doctors at Alberta Health Services say people using hand sanitizer when they are out shouldn’t leave it in their cars for too long because it could lead to a fire.

The advice comes in a daily COVID-19 newsletter distributed to physicians, volunteers and staff by AHS president Dr. Verna Yiu and senior medical health officer Dr. Laura McDougall.

They said handwashing with soap and warm water is still the best way to prevent the spread of COVID-19, but they noted that’s not always practical when outside the home or in a workplace.

“As such, many people are using hand sanitizer products as an alternative to hand-washing, when they are out and about,” Yiu and McDougall wrote in Thursday’s newsletter.

With hand sanitizer being in short supply, many breweries, distilleries and community-based companies have started making their own with high alcohol content, which they said should be between 60 and 90 per cent.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/han ... 85c39b9364?

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Brisket, ground beef slapped with new purchase limits at H-E-B

https://abc13.com/6213239/?ex_cid=TA_KT ... ce=twitter
The grocery chain said in an effort to make sure all customers have access to the products they need, H-E-B is limiting the purchase of brisket, ground beef and fresh ground beef patties per shopping trip/transaction.

Customers are only allowed to purchase one brisket, and are being limited to a two package combination of either ground beef, fresh beef, or fresh ground patties.

President Donald Trump signed an executive order last month to order meat processing plants to stay open amid concerns over growing coronavirus cases and the impact on the nation's food supply.

"H-E-B has a strong supply of meat product for our stores," said a spokesperson at the time. "Product limits are in place to protect the supply chain and ensure all customers have access to the products they need and leave some for their neighbors."

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Tyson Foods Will Shut U.S. Pork Plant as More Workers Catch COVID-19

https://www.claimsjournal.com/news/midw ... 297321.htm
Tyson Foods Inc said on Thursday it will temporarily close an Iowa pork plant due to the coronavirus pandemic, a month after U.S. President Donald Trump ordered slaughterhouses to stay open to protect the country’s food supply.

Meat processors like Tyson Foods, WH Group’s Smithfield Foods and JBS USA temporarily closed about 20 slaughterhouses last month as workers fell ill with the new coronavirus, leading to shortages of certain products in grocery stores. Production remains lower than normal because of increased absenteeism and social distancing among employees.

An Iowa state official said 555 employees at Tyson’s Storm Lake plant tested positive for the virus, about 22% of the workforce.

Tyson will stop slaughtering hogs at the facility and finish processing the animals over the next two days, according to a statement.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

Volkonski wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:32 pm
Brisket, ground beef slapped with new purchase limits at H-E-B

https://abc13.com/6213239/?ex_cid=TA_KT ... ce=twitter
The grocery chain said in an effort to make sure all customers have access to the products they need, H-E-B is limiting the purchase of brisket, ground beef and fresh ground beef patties per shopping trip/transaction.

:snippity:

"H-E-B has a strong supply of meat product for our stores," said a spokesperson at the time. "Product limits are in place to protect the supply chain and ensure all customers have access to the products they need and leave some for their neighbors."
It does seem to be working that way. I shopped at both Costco and Giant Eagle the other day. Costco is limiting meat to three; Giant Eagle to two. Both stores now have a good selection so the limitations definitely seem to be ensuring all customers have access to products.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Canned chicken was hard to come by for awhile, as was fresh. I have meat allergies, so I’m limited in what I can have. So I raided my freezer a few weeks ago, thawed a bunch of frozen chicken that was getting close to it’s self-destruct date, and canned it in my pressure canner. It’ll be shelf-stable for at least two years, but it won’t last that long.

Looks pretty gross, I know, but it’s tender as can be. Drained, with a little mayo, and toasted garlic and onion, on some fresh rye or sourdough toast, and it’s the best chicken salad sandwich ever.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB »

Volkonski wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 3:40 pm
Tyson Foods Will Shut U.S. Pork Plant as More Workers Catch COVID-19

https://www.claimsjournal.com/news/midw ... 297321.htm
Tyson Foods Inc said on Thursday it will temporarily close an Iowa pork plant due to the coronavirus pandemic, a month after U.S. President Donald Trump ordered slaughterhouses to stay open to protect the country’s food supply.

Meat processors like Tyson Foods, WH Group’s Smithfield Foods and JBS USA temporarily closed about 20 slaughterhouses last month as workers fell ill with the new coronavirus, leading to shortages of certain products in grocery stores. Production remains lower than normal because of increased absenteeism and social distancing among employees.

An Iowa state official said 555 employees at Tyson’s Storm Lake plant tested positive for the virus, about 22% of the workforce.

Tyson will stop slaughtering hogs at the facility and finish processing the animals over the next two days, according to a statement.
The plant is a few miles down the pike from me. They're closing it for two days for cleaning. Of course our Republican governor won't release the number of how many workers test positive at the packing plants anymore, but that county mysteriously had a jump of several hundred in the number of Covid-19 positives a couple of days ago. I haven't seen a hog transport drive by all day long.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Spain
Coronavirus Turns a Spanish Sea Delicacy Back Into Daily Fare
With high-end restaurants closed, the price of prawns has tumbled, allowing fishmongers to pick up the shellfish at a discount and offer them to a much broader clientele.

By Raphael Minder
May 31, 2020

LLANÇÀ, Spain — With an intensity of flavor to match their color, the big, bright-red prawns caught off Spain’s eastern coast are the kind of delicacy that someone might eat once or twice in a year and remember fondly for the rest of it.

Around Christmas, when they are often a highlight of restaurants’ holiday menus, the wholesale price at the daily fish auctions in ports like that of Llançà, in Catalonia, would be up to 100 euros a kilogram. That’s about $50 a pound. In mid-March, before Spain declared its coronavirus state of emergency, they fetched around 70 euros a kilogram.

In Llançà this past month, a kilogram went for €36.

More than 90 percent of the catch would usually be earmarked for restaurants. With dining rooms closed, that top-end market has disappeared, and the prawns are being picked up at vastly reduced prices by fishmongers who serve a much broader clientele than the elite customers of Spain’s best restaurants.

For those working on fishing boats trawling the seabed in search of the prawns — 12 hours at sea can yield just a dozen kilograms or so — the only consolation has been that oil prices have also collapsed during the pandemic, allowing them to use their boats without spending so much on gas.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/31/worl ... spain.html

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

Farmers Find Ways To Save Millions Of Pigs From Being Euthanized

But that worst case scenario seems to not be happening. According to estimates of pork producers and officials in the hardest-hit states of Minnesota and Iowa, hog farmers have been forced to kill and dispose of fewer than 200,000 animals so far.

"Farmers are pretty inventive people," says David Preisler, CEO of the Minnesota Pork Producers Association. He says farmers made some quick adaptations--they converted older buildings into additional housing for hogs, fed the animals low-energy rations that kept them from gaining weight rapidly, and sent some of their animals to local butcher shops. Others hogs were shipped halfway across the country, from Minnesota to Pennsylvania or California, to processing plants that could handle them.

Minnesota's Board of Animal Health acquired two 80-acre sites that could be used to compost truckloads of hogs. As of May 29, the sites had accepted 17,058 hog carcasses. They could handle many more. Perhaps 100,000 to 150,000 carcasses have been trucked to rendering plants, which convert them into basic materials like grease and protein powder.

In Iowa, the state is offering financial help to farmers who need to euthanize hogs. Farmers applied for funding to dispose of about 25,000 animals but have not yet told the state how many of them actually were euthanized. In mid-May, Iowa Secretary of Agriculture Mike Naig told Iowa Public Radio that farmers in his state had been forced to kill fewer than 5,000 market-ready hogs so far.

Hog industry officials say they've heard of few cases of euthanized hogs in other major pork-producing states.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronaviru ... rm=nprnews
So why can’t I find a ham? Are there any in stores? (Often the online selection at a grocery store isn’t as robust as in person, particularly for meats.)
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Return to “Coronavirus”