Northland10

Re: Companies Acting like Assholes

Post by Northland10 »

Volkonski wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:02 am
Steven Greenhouse
@greenhousenyt
·
22m
BAD STUFF >> Office Depot, which has said it is an essential retailer, sent a memo to store managers saying customer-facing employees were not allowed to wear masks and discouraged managers from sending workers home if they had symptoms of the virus.
https://t.co/ccHBTIFxkq?amp=1

Why are Office Depots still open?
I suspect, with so many working from home, office supply stores are considered essential services now.
North-land: of the family 10.5

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.
Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Northland10 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:33 am
Steven Greenhouse
@greenhousenyt
·
22m
BAD STUFF >> Office Depot, which has said it is an essential retailer, sent a memo to store managers saying customer-facing employees were not allowed to wear masks and discouraged managers from sending workers home if they had symptoms of the virus.

I suspect, with so many working from home, office supply stores are considered essential services now.
Good point.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Volkonski wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:34 am
Northland10 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:33 am

Good point.
Yeah, I had to pick up some supplies myself. You order online or call and they will bring it out to your car.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage
Miss Meh

Post by Miss Meh »

Steven Greenhouse
@greenhousenyt
·
22m

Office Depot was. the only place that I was able to score toilet paper from - that was about a week ago so I don't know if they still have it
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

BeastofBourbon wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:04 pm viewtopic.php?f=113&t=12591#p1168453

Bill G.- How did you learn about this? The Oregonlive map of open restaurants shows that the RR nearest me is closed, but maybe they've kept select franchises open? We stopped patronizing RR years ago due to our sense of corporate greed, so this is just additional confirmation. Thanks.
Our neighbor's college student daughter (still at home) works at the local RR. We caught up the other night with a porch to porch chat so the whole neighborhood could listen in. That drew a bunch of us to the sidewalk to kibbitz at arm's length.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Hobby Lobby update.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/compani ... li=BBnb7Kz
After quietly reopening stores across the country in defiance of coronavirus-related state lockdown orders, Hobby Lobby is closing all stores nationally and furloughing employees without pay.

In a statement posted on the company website on Friday afternoon, Hobby Lobby announced it will furlough "nearly all store employees" without pay and "is ending emergency leave pay and suspending use of company provided paid time off benefits and vacation."

"As the country continues efforts to manage and mitigate the devastating health and economic impacts of the COVID-19 virus, Hobby Lobby will, after careful consideration, close the remainder of its stores, and furlough nearly all store employees and a large portion of corporate and distribution employees, effective Friday, April 3rd, at 8:00 p.m," Hobby Lobby posted on its website. "The stores will remain closed until further notice."

According to three employees, each speaking on the condition of anonymity for fear of retribution, managers at their stores called teams into a meeting to deliver the news on Friday afternoon.

"The line our manager gave us was, 'The employees got what the employees wanted, the stores were closed,'" a Hobby Lobby employee in Indiana said. "My question was did God tell them they needed to closed the stores and not pay us?" '
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

I feel for the employees, but I suspect that the reality is that the business was struggling and this is a way for them to downsize operations.
ZekeB
Location: The nuttiest congressional district of a nut job state.

Post by ZekeB »

Chilidog wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:00 pm I feel for the employees, but I suspect that the reality is that the business was struggling and this is a way for them to downsize operations.
They have as many square feet in my local store as a JC Penneys and I've never seen more that four shoppers there at one time. I suspect that they treat their employees the same way as Wal Mart. I suppose if having Sundays off is a high priority to you....
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.
Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent »

Since the owners are looking at serious Federal charges for antiquities smuggling they may have other pressing issues, and just as a warm up, they got taken, seriously, on what would have been an illegal purchase of Dead Sea Scroll fragments, if they'd been real. As it is they are just out a major chunk of change and a lot of very damaging publicity.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Addie

Post by Addie »

New York Mag: The Trump Organization Is Looking for a Coronavirus Bailout: Report
Adding:
New York Post: Trump Organization lays off 1,500 employees amid coronavirus shutdown
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver
Grumpy Old Guy

Post by Grumpy Old Guy »

Any story about the Trump or Kushner enterprises will fit nicely in this thread.
PatGund

Post by PatGund »

Steven Greenhouse
@greenhousenyt
·
22m

Because they sell supplies for people forced to work from home. And toilet paper.
bob

Post by bob »

I'm seeing restaurants, as part of their delivery/take-out services, now offering single rolls of toilet paper. At up to two dollars per roll.

Obviously this is a lemons/lemonade situation (as restaurants likely have long-term contracts with distributors for toilet paper). And of course there needs to be a mark-up to cover the labor costs. But $2/roll still seems ... excessive.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2
Jcolvin2

Post by Jcolvin2 »

bob wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:20 pm I'm seeing restaurants, as part of their delivery/take-out services, now offering single rolls of toilet paper. At up to two dollars per roll.

Obviously this is a lemons/lemonade situation (as restaurants likely have long-term contracts with distributors for toilet paper). And of course there needs to be a mark-up to cover the labor costs. But $2/roll still seems ... excessive.
I paid about $1.00/roll at Target on Friday for 18 rolls of lower quality TP than I ordinarily buy (Northern plush 3-ply was nowhere to be found). To be honest, I had no idea how much TP cost on a unit basis before this hoarding nonsense. At least the mark-up was not a factor of 7 or 10 ...
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Yes, being a corporate raider, Sociopath and short seller of his own company means that he is the guy to save the world. :bored:
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.
kate520

Post by kate520 »

Oh noes! He’s missing out on the most potentially lucrative scam possibilities of his short, avaricious life.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

bob wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:20 pm I'm seeing restaurants, as part of their delivery/take-out services, now offering single rolls of toilet paper. At up to two dollars per roll.

I’m not really bothered by this. Restaurants run on a tight margin, and if this is what they need to do to stay in business, it’s OK with me.

I’m at our cabin for the foreseeable future. There’s no TP in town anywhere. We have some stashed here, but not a lot. So I’m saving the TP for number 2, and I bought a bunch of washcloths that I can use for number 1 and toss in a little hamper without stinking up the place too bad. When I run out of TP, I’ll have to use the washcloths for everything, which will require the big guns: a lidded home depot bucket filled with oxyclean. :sick:
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson
DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo »

Maybenaut wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:34 pm I’m at our cabin for the foreseeable future. There’s no TP in town anywhere. We have some stashed here, but not a lot. So I’m saving the TP for number 2, and I bought a bunch of washcloths that I can use for number 1 and toss in a little hamper without stinking up the place too bad. When I run out of TP, I’ll have to use the washcloths for everything, which will require the big guns: a lidded home depot bucket filled with oxyclean. :sick:
Maybenaut, order yourself one of these:

Electric Portable Bidet Handheld Battery, Bidet Handheld Water Sprayer Portable Rechargeable Battery Powered(Bidet+Shower)

It's a handheld shower sprayer that also comes with a "bum gun" sprayer, such as they use in parts of Asia. It runs on a rechargeable USB battery.
You just drop the siphon end into a bucket or sink of warm water and use the "bum gun" sprayer to quick rinse your nether regions, after which you can pat dry with a small piece of t.p. or a towel.

I bought one of these rechargeable sprayers. They are so effing handy I'm wondering how I ever got along without them. And the battery runs for quite a long time between charges.
I've heard this bull before.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

People pay more than $2.00 for an iced cup of carbonated sugar water at restaurants when then they could get a entire 2 liter for less at a store.

I think $2/roll is fine for the same convenience.
ZekeB
Location: The nuttiest congressional district of a nut job state.

Post by ZekeB »

Maybenaut wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:34 pm

I’m not really bothered by this. Restaurants run on a tight margin, and if this is what they need to do to stay in business, it’s OK with me.

I’m at our cabin for the foreseeable future. There’s no TP in town anywhere. We have some stashed here, but not a lot. So I’m saving the TP for number 2, and I bought a bunch of washcloths that I can use for number 1 and toss in a little hamper without stinking up the place too bad. When I run out of TP, I’ll have to use the washcloths for everything, which will require the big guns: a lidded home depot bucket filled with oxyclean. :sick:
They'll become profitable again when they install pay toilets after the social distancing guidelines are dropped and dine-in is restored.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.
bob

Post by bob »

I'm still on the fence on whether $2/roll (for a large city) is conscionable. (Counterargument: folks ordering online probably can afford $2/roll, especially when compared to the tight margins on which most small restaurants operate.)

But I'm a little surprised that I haven't seen anyone throwing in the toilet paper as a bonus, e.g., "order three entrees and we'll toss in a roll of toilet paper, no extra charge!"

E.g., a local watering hole is selling off their inventory, and they're throwing in the free marketing schwag that they get, e.g., "buy a hundred dollars of booze from us, and here's a PBR trucker hat." No one is buying their booze for the hat, but it is good marketing.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2
Lani

Post by Lani »

Our local brewery & restaurant is surviving better than most restaurants. It's making hand sanitizer and gives an 8oz bottle to everybody who orders a meal pick-up. :thumbs:
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Compilation of various overreach by authorities

from downunder but quotes from around the world

Addie

Post by Addie »

New Yorker - Jane Mayer: How Trump Is Helping Tycoons Exploit the Pandemic

The secretive titan behind one of America’s largest poultry companies, who is also one of the President’s top donors, is ruthlessly leveraging the coronavirus crisis—and his vast fortune—to strip workers of protections.

On June 22nd, in the baking heat of a parking lot a few miles inland from Delaware’s beaches, several dozen poultry workers, many of them Black or Latino, gathered to decry the conditions at a local poultry plant owned by one of President Donald Trump’s biggest campaign contributors. “We’re here for a reason that is atrocious,” Nelson Hill, an official with the United Food and Commercial Workers International Union, told the small but boisterous crowd, which included top Democratic officials from the state, among them Senator Chris Coons. The union, part of the A.F.L.-C.I.O., represents some 1.3 million laborers in poultry-processing and meatpacking plants, as well as workers in grocery stores and retail establishments. Its members, many defined as “essential” workers—without the option of staying home—have been hit extraordinarily hard by the coronavirus. The union estimates that nearly thirty thousand of its workers in the food and health-care sectors have contracted COVID-19, and that two hundred and thirty-eight of those have died.

For the previous forty-two years, a thousand or so laborers at the local processing plant, in Selbyville, had been represented by Local 27. Just two years earlier, the workers there had ratified a new five-year contract. But, Hill told the crowd, in the middle of the pandemic, as the number of infected workers soared, the plant’s owner, Mountaire Corporation—one of the country’s largest purveyors of chicken—conspired, along with Donald Trump, to “kick us out.”

Hill, who is Black and from a working-class family on the Delmarva Peninsula—a scrubby stretch of farmland that includes parts of Delaware, Maryland, and Virginia—was used to the area’s heat and humidity. But, as he spoke to the crowd, behind dark glasses, his face glistened with anger. “It’s greed, that’s what it is,” he said. “It’s a damn shame.”

The jobs at Mountaire rank as among the most dangerous and worst paid in America. Government statistics indicate that poultry and meat-processing companies report more severe injuries than other industries commonly assumed to be more hazardous, including coal mining and sawmilling. Between 2015 and 2018, on average, a slaughterhouse worker lost a body part, or went to the hospital for in-patient treatment, about every other day. Unlike meatpackers, two-thirds of whom belong to unions, only about a third of poultry workers are represented by organized labor—and those who are unionized face mounting pressure. The industry, which is dominated by large multinational corporations such as Mountaire, has grown increasingly concentrated, expanding its political influence while replacing unionized employees with contract hires, often immigrants or refugees. These vulnerable workers are technically hired by temp agencies, relieving poultry plants of accountability if documentation is lacking. Trump has weakened federal oversight of the industry while accepting millions of dollars in political donations from some of its most powerful figures, including Ronald Cameron, Mountaire’s reclusive owner. In 2016, Cameron gave nearly three million dollars to organizations supporting Trump’s candidacy.
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

Return to “Coronavirus”