Non-Famous People who died from COVID-19

TexasFilly

Non-Famous People who died from COVID-19

Post by TexasFilly »

Dragging this over from the main thread. I find this story incredibly sad, and there will be tens of thousands of others. While the racists will claim he was an affirmative action beneficiary (no evidence of that) or question why he was just graduating at age 25, I see a young man who did something I could never do: get a Chemical Engineering degree. So young, so accomplished, so promising, at the start of his life:
Here's a story about a young man from Detroit who died from COVID19. He was 25 years old and about to graduate from Western Michigan University with a Chemical Engineering degree. His sister says he was refused a test although symptomatic and dismissed by a health professional who told him he had bronchitis. https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... 936057001/
Every death to this scourge is meaningful. I thought we should have a place to remember those who didn't win awards, weren't famous, and were just trying to live their lives. :(
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

Foggy

Re: Non-Famous People who died from COVID-19

Post by Foggy »

Thank you, Filly. Yes, his death is as meaningful as anyone else's. I'd prefer to learn about people like this more than Hollywood celebrities. :bighug:

Let's all help each other get through this nightmare.
For more information, read it again.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

Foggy wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:23 pm
Thank you, Filly. Yes, his death is as meaningful as anyone else's. I'd prefer to learn about people like this more than Hollywood celebrities. :bighug:

Let's all help each other get through this nightmare.
Agreed.

:grouphug:
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

So. Fucking. Tragic.

:crying:
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Maybenaut wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:13 pm
So. Fucking. Tragic.

And possibly avoidable.

scirreeve

Post by scirreeve »

Marcia Haug -- a 90-year-old mother to three and grandmother to seven – traveled through Europe by bicycle when she was in her 20s, loved nature, made it a point never to miss a Rose Parade and “was a teacher through and through.”

Haug died Sunday, March 22, after suddenly coming down with a fever and bad cough three days earlier.
https://www.oregonlive.com/coronavirus/ ... ravel.html

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Coronavirus Claims Life Of Longtime Jackson Memorial Hospital Nurse Araceli Buendia Ilagan
https://miami.cbslocal.com/2020/03/28/c ... di-ilagan/

She last worked at the hospital on Tuesday.

scirreeve

Post by scirreeve »

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

How is this guy doing?

:twisted:

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:01 pm
How is this guy doing?

:twisted:

:fingerwag:

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

‘Perfectly healthy’ New Braunfels man killed by COVID-19, family says

NEW BRAUNFELS, Texas – Adolph (T.J.) Mendez, 44, was “perfectly healthy,” according to his family, with no underlying health issues when he died Thursday from complications due to COVID-19, the Herald-Zeitung reported.

His daughter Brenda Johnson told the Herald-Zeitung that Mendez was tested for COVID-19 last week and was given a positive diagnosis Tuesday.

Mendez, who was originally from San Antonio, lived in New Braunfels for the past 14 years and taught kindergarten at Oakwood Church, according to the Herald-Zeitung.

Mendez died at Ascension Seton Medical Center in Austin and leaves behind six children and his wife Angela.
https://www.click2houston.com/news/2020 ... mily-says/

MRich

Post by MRich »

I don't have a link - this was mentioned in the comment thread on another site, and I can't remember where. But someone said their friend had lost both his mother and stepfather, and both had died alone because they had been put in isolation. I find it incredibly sad that people can't be with their loved ones when they are so sick.

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Addie

Post by Addie »

The Hill
NJ governor orders all flags across the state be lowered to half-staff indefinitely for lives lost to coronavirus

New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy (D) signed an executive order Friday directing all flags in the state to be lowered to half-staff “indefinitely” in honor of the lives lost during the coronavirus pandemic. “This is one of the greatest tragedies to ever hit our state. We must have a constant & visible memorial,” Murphy tweeted.

The state — which is adjacent to New York City, the epicenter of the pandemic in the U.S. — is one of the states hardest-hit by the virus. As of Friday afternoon, New Jersey had nearly 30,000 confirmed cases of the virus and 646 reported deaths, according to the state’s department of health.

Murphy on Thursday called for a review of the federal government's response to the coronavirus pandemic.

"On the one hand, I'll leave history to the historians in terms of how we got here," Murphy told CNN's Wolf Blitzer when asked about the Trump administration's response to the spreading pandemic. "But on the other hand, we've got — all of us have to do one of the biggest postmortems, when the dust settles on this, in the history of our country. We've got to figure out how the heck we got into this spot and make sure we never get in this spot ever again.”
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Longtime Henry Ford nurse dies after testing positive for COVID-19

Detroit — Saturday would have been Lisa Ewald's 54th birthday.

Ewald, a longtime registered nurse with Henry Ford Health System, died in her Dearborn home Tuesday after telling family and friends she tested positive for the novel coronavirus.

Lisa Ewald was a registered nurse for more than 20 years.

Her niece, Aubree Standifer Farmer, posted Thursday asking people to stay home for all of the doctors and nurses that are on the front line fighting the pandemic.

"My aunt lost her battle from COVID-19 on Tuesday doing what she loved and that was being a nurse," Farmer wrote. "She was such a caring compassionate person, talking to people she worked with they called themselves blessed to know her. I was truly blessed that God put her in our family. I know she wouldn’t want us to be bitter she would want us to love and to learn, so please learn from those who are hurting right now, those who can’t even properly say goodbye because of the quarantine laws."
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... 946953001/

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

'He was one of us,' WSU president says of worker, student who died of virus

In a somber email Saturday, Wayne State University President Roy Wilson announced that someone in the community had succumbed to COVID-19.

"It is with a heavy heart that I share with you that Darrin Adams, a custodian and member of our Wayne State family, passed away from complications caused by COVID-19," Wilson wrote.

Adams was a custodian at Wayne State who worked at the university for nearly six years, mostly at Manoogian Hall. He was also a student pursuing a degree on sociology.

"He was one of us, and we all grieve his loss," Wilson wrote. "Darrin leaves behind family and friends, and we keep them in our thoughts as they deal with this unexpected loss. We hope that their grief is assuaged by good memories of a life well lived."
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... 947370001/

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

likely with a touch of propaganda, but none the less

scirreeve

Post by scirreeve »

What an interesting life. RIP.

By Lynn Kawano | April 3, 2020 at 3:58 PM HST - Updated April 3 at 6:52 PM
HONOLULU, Hawaii (HawaiiNewsNow) - Friends and family identified Hawaii’s third coronavirus-related fatality Friday as a well-known scientist and author who traveled the world to teach people about plants.

Arthur Whistler, 75, died Thursday in the hospital, weeks after testing positive for COVID-19.

Whistler was sick when he returned to Hawaii from a trip to Washington State on March 4 and went to an urgent care facility. He was not tested for the coronavirus despite being symptomatic.

Three days later, paramedics were called and he was transported to Kaiser Moanalua.

He had been on life support since March 10.

Friends and family said Whistler traveled the world for many decades, especially to Samoa and Micronesia, and wrote a number of books. His titles included “Rainforest Trees of Samoa” and “Plants of the Canoe People.”
https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/04/0 ... es-covid-/

Lani

Post by Lani »

Yes, that was a hard one.

Most cases here are related to travel. Las Vegas is #1, Washington is #2.

The gentleman on Molokai has Covid19 from a very recent trip to Las Vegas. A truly dumb ass thing to just before the travel quarantine was enforced. But, hey, there's not much to do on Molokai, and he probably thought that it was his last chance to go there and have fun for the foreseeable future.

Sorry about that long rant about Molokai in another thread, but I'm not the only one. The governor and the mayor also spoke out about it and the tragic history of that island. And what I feared has now happened. He has been medivac-ed from his home to Oahu for care. Isolated from home, family and friends.

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Lani wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:48 am
:snippity:
Sorry about that long rant about Molokai in another thread, :snippity:
:thumbs: Just like to say that I enjoy your pieces (reports, opinions, insights, etc.) from Hawai'i especially as it's a lesser known, lesser reported, area for most of us. Similarly, Jeffrey's from Puerto Rico. Keep them coming! :thumbs:

Lani

Post by Lani »

Thank you so much. The man on Molokai has been evacuated to Oahu. He is a resident of that small island. It has suffered so much. Breaks my heart.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

This is a direct quote from a comment in a private group, so no link. No relation to me, just a friend in the group.
Don't think for a minute if you are young and healthy this virus can pass you by.

My nephew was found dead in his bed last night from what they think was the virus. He worked in a homeless shelter and had a cold or something for the last week, went to urgent care twice and got antibiotics but they found him in his apartment. His sister had a key and went to check on him. My son kept trying to reach him and I texted her to ask her if he was ok. He tended to not get in touch with anyone for stretches of time but he always answered texts.

I am so devastated right now. He was one of those that thought the virus was a hoax and wouldn't take any precautions. He was only 34.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavirus ... story.html

A retired NYPD sergeant left an Upper East Side hospital after he was diagnosed with coronavirus — and was found dead about an hour later on the street outside, police sources said Tuesday

Yon Chang, 56, was at Lenox Hill Hospital early Tuesday and told an NYPD cop there he had just been diagnosed with the deadly virus.

He left a short time later only to collapse up the block on the traffic island at Park Ave. and E. 77th St. about 6:05 a.m. He died at the scene.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

He was one of those that thought the virus was a hoax and wouldn't take any precautions. He was only 34.
There are probably going to be thousands like him, thanks to Psychobozo and Fox News and the right-wing lie machine.

Tragic ... and avoidable. :madguy:
For more information, read it again.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Return to “Coronavirus”