Coronavirus as Get Out of Jail Card

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Coronavirus as Get Out of Jail Card

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/jud ... k-69708604
Judge won't free man linked to extremists over virus risk

A federal magistrate judge has ruled the risk of exposure to coronavirus in jail doesn't warrant freeing a 19-year-old Maryland man while he awaits trial on criminal charges stemming from his membership in a violent white supremacist group

William Garfield Bilbrough IV has diabetes and his medical condition leaves him particularly vulnerable if he is exposed to the coronavirus while he is detained at the Correctional Treatment Facility in Washington, D.C., his attorneys said in a court filing.

"Although Mr. Bilbrough may still be at an increased health risk if he is infected with the virus, this factor alone does not outweigh the other factors that strongly favor detention. Mr. Bilbrough is simply too great a danger to be released," Sullivan wrote.

Bilbrough and two other men linked to a white supremacist group called The Base have been in federal custody since their arrests in January. Bilbrough is charged with helping transport and harbor a fellow Base member who was accused of illegally entering the U.S. from Canada.

Sullivan refused to set bond for Bilbrough on two previous occasions. The magistrate said during a March 4 hearing that his decision to keep Bilbrough in jail was a “very close call.” But he said he had reservations about releasing the defendant into his grandmother's custody.
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.
- https://legaldictionary.net/19th-amendment/

neonzx

Re: Coronavirus as Get Out of Jail Card

Post by neonzx »

There is a young man currently in custody locally since earlier this month who I know. Arrested on a mm battery charge during a late night dispute with GF and a neighbor called police. GF refused to press charges nor give a statement (she herself is an addict which we warned him of).

Collectively, friends and family decided not to bond him out -- not because we don't care, but because we want him time to think ( at 26yo, he's made some bad choices but is good at heart ).

We are rethinking in the current times to bond him out ($3,500). He might be safer out of custody. :think:
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

neonzx wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:24 am
There is a young man currently in custody locally since earlier this month who I know. Arrested on a mm battery charge during a late night dispute with GF and a neighbor called police. GF refused to press charges nor give a statement (she herself is an addict which we warned him of).

Collectively, friends and family decided not to bond him out -- not because we don't care, but because we want him time to think ( at 26yo, he's made some bad choices but is good at heart ).

We are rethinking in the current times to bond him out ($3,500). He might be safer out of custody. :think:
But would his GF be safer were he still in custody?

SLQ

Post by SLQ »

In Flagstaff, my son is a city bus driver. He said the released prisoners are going to the shelter (singular). So the jail will avoid liability, but the situation hasn't changed. Except the former prisoners can leave and be homeless.
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:49 am
neonzx wrote:

But would his GF be safer were he still in custody?
He would be safer with her in custody. She's a known quantity in our circle. He's a pussy cat. She sustained a bruise and cut as he was physically making her leave his place. He didn't hit her.

I have the police report.
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Sterngard Friegen

:shock:

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Neon's post reminded me that there is a Cops marathon today. Lots of episodes about Florida.
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

Just got word from some attorneys that Northern District of Illinois Federal Court is delaying resolution of matters for 3 months.
What you've heard about Mighty Spork is true. Don't miss The Fogbow's Favourite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: Family Crisis!" Fri 9/8c. TVShowsAce featured Fogbow's love 5/26/20: https://bit.ly/2TNxrbS

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Cross posting from Michael Cohen thread.
DENINED!!!!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... r-BB11EHJW

Judge rejects Michael Cohen's coronavirus-linked plea for release from prison

Ten months into his prison term, it's time that Cohen accept the consequences of his criminal convictions for serious crimes that had far reaching institutional harms," US District Court Judge William Pauley wrote.

In his decision, the judge said the "fatal flaw" of Cohen's effort is that only prosecutors -- not defendants -- are permitted to file a motion to reduce a sentence, and criticized Cohen for suggesting in his initial request that the Justice Department was biased against him.

"Unable to articulate how he advanced any investigation or prosecution, Cohen and his surrogates make extravagant allegations that the Department of Justice -- from the Attorney General down to line prosecutors -- acted in bad faith," the judge wrote. "Those ad hominem attacks lack any substance and do not trigger the right to a remedy or a hearing before this Court."

Cohen's attorney had noted in a filing Monday that Cohen has been hospitalized twice and has pre-existing pulmonary issues, saying "the sentence of 36 months should not end up being a capital crime depriving my client of his life."
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.
- https://legaldictionary.net/19th-amendment/

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

neonzx wrote:

And he is on his way to being released. State is not filing at this time (which is much different than a nolle prosequi). If he messes up again, these charges can be brought back.

Apparently, the general consensus is he will go back with this woman. Me thinks 3 weeks in lockup gave him time to reflect? I hope I'm right.

Anyway, he gets to come out into a pandemic. surprise.
Screenshot_20200328-091345-149-150.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sterngard Friegen

According to Brian Williams on the 11th Hour/MSNBC tonight, Michael Cohen is getting out May 1st.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

He has to spend 14 days in quarantine at the prison and then will serve the rest of his term confined to home.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:10 pm
According to Brian Williams on the 11th Hour/MSNBC tonight, Michael Cohen is getting out May 1st.
Here's what WAPO is reporting:
Michael Cohen’s attorney claims Trump’s ex-lawyer allowed to leave prison due to pandemic

A lawyer for Michael Cohen, President Trump’s former personal attorney, claimed Thursday that he had been informed by Cohen’s family that Cohen would be released to home confinement as part of the federal Bureau of Prisons’ push to stem the spread of coronavirus.

Roger Adler, a lawyer for Cohen, said that he had filed paperwork with prison officials seeking “compassionate release” for Cohen during the global health pandemic because Cohen had “an underlying medical condition that he has been hospitalized for.” He said it was his “understanding from speaking with a family member” that the request had been granted, and that Cohen would soon be moved to home confinement.

The Washington Post could not immediately verify the assertion with government officials. The lawyer’s claim was first reported by CNN.

A Bureau of Prisons spokeswoman said in a statement, “I am unable to address any specific offenders suitability for home confinement.” Neither the Justice Department nor the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Manhattan, which prosecuted Cohen, could not be reached for comment late Thursday.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... story.html

Kinda weird that the lawyer who filed the motion would be informed by Cohen's family it had been granted and not vice-versa. And although it is often "overlooked" that most of his prison term is for tax evasion it does seem unfair he's been in prison for almost a year while Individual-1 has continued to grift off taxpayers, been impeached, etc.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Cross-posting - Michel Cohen’s getting compassionate release, according to his lawyer, and will be subject to home monitoring.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... story.html
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/US/michael-c ... ssion=true
President Donald Trump's former attorney and fixer Michael Cohen will not be leaving prison to serve out the rest of his term in home confinement, according to sources familiar with the matter.

Two weeks ago, the Federal Bureau of Prisons (BOP) had notified Cohen that he would be released early from prison due to the COVID-19 outbreak, Cohen's attorney Roger Adler told ABC News at the time.

Cohen is serving a 3-year sentence at the federal prison camp in Otisville, New York, where several staff and inmates have tested positive for the novel coronavirus.
This must come as a real disappointment. Apparently, others in the facility have had their offers rescinded.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Recall: Cohen's lawyer said the family had informed him of the impending release. I pointed out the oddity of that statement at the time. It should be easily verifiable if there was anything in writing from the BOP.

Return to “Coronavirus”