What are you doing to stay sane on your Staycation?

kate520

Re: What are you doing to stay sane on your Staycation?

Post by kate520 »

In my neighborhood, in separate houses, live about 10 people who are related to each other. They’re a close-knit group, always crossing the street with covered dishes and beer.

This week, they are driving to each other’s houses, parking out front, each putting theIr own meals on the roof of the car and standing on opposite sides for a visit and a bite. :lol:
DEFEND DEMOCRACY
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Well, that was interesting. My sister-in-law called me a bit ago and asked if I wanted to play computer games with them. She, my brother, and their four daughters (ages 16-24, two at home, two in the Cities) were using HouseParty. You can use it for video chatting, but it also allows you to play games. I had never done anything like that, but I got it loaded on my iPad Mini and logged in, and they figured out how to get me into their group and we played a type of Pictionary type game and a word guessing game. Pretty cool.

My 16-year old niece is a serious cellist. My SIL said that she had a cello lesson today using Skype. I can't imagine, but I'm glad that works for them.
Joe Biden: "Wearing masks is not a political statement. It's a scientific imperative."

It’s the pandemic, stupid!
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Foggy wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:28 am I took a photo so I wouldn't get the wiring wrong.

IMG_0011.jpg
The lugs look good. That clear stuff doesn't like heat at all. Good canaries for bad crimps. They discolor easily.
SLQ

Post by SLQ »

I'm watching Julia Child's The Way to Cook on Youtube. Basics, which suits the way I cook these days, where it's just me. I'm currently on the poultry episodes. I ordered the companion cookbook off of Amazon, used. At least I can support an indy used book store.
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda
scirreeve

Post by scirreeve »

Mrs. Reeve's stuff went to the VA retirement home where they were very thankful. Lot of people died there - sad. I like that lady even though we are locked up together.
https://www.oregonlive.com/coronavirus/ ... first.html
Lani

Post by Lani »

I'm working from home, which is not really a sane activity. But I've found out I can get a lot of job related things done during this crisis that previously I couldn't even get taken under consideration for years, even during prior crises. Just blown off.

Since the crisis began, we now have open captioning on all local government videos. Then added an ASL alternative to all videos. Yesterday I contacted IT about having google translate on all government webpages. I got a quick response from IT that they'd look into it. TODAY we now have it throughout the site.

Now I'm working on another change I think I can get pushed through quickly. :boxing: :cheer1:
Foggy
Avatar: Silly engineers have been using 3D printers to make Godzilla arms for chickens.

Post by Foggy »

SLQ and Lani, you are awesome. Scirreeve, I know what you mean about "I like that lady even though we are locked up together." It's quite pleasant being in the cocoon with ol' Wifehorn and the boys. It would be very, very difficult if'n we didn't really like each other. But we do, so I'm having a good time.

Bill_G, yeah, the wiring was all in good shape. Had a little trouble pulling the old switch out of the housing, but the new one went in smoothly and it works perfectly. 'Course, now I have to reinstall the fence and so forth, but that's easy.

It was a really nice day yesterday, first time up in the 80s, so I went out and crashed my bike a little. Coupla scrapes and scratches, nothing serious, but I smacked my shoulder what good. Rough night last night, didn't get much sleep, but it's already improving.

And I know y'all are wondering about the more important question: Is the bike OK?

At the time, I noticed the chain came off the sprocket, but I didn't really inspect for other damage, being more interested in a hot shower and some acetaminophens. It happened so close to the house I was able to walk home in 5 minutes. I was on the way back, hot, sweaty, and tired. That's how I slightly misjudged a turn. Today is gonna be 88°, so I'll take a gander at the machine, see how she's faring. Then I'll walk instead of riding this afternoon.

Do you know what the leading cause of injury is in old men? Thinking that we're young men, they tell me. :daydream:
I hope y'all are still wearing your seat belts!
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Foggy wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:11 am Do you know what the leading cause of injury is in old men? Thinking that we're young men, they tell me. :daydream:
Bike falls are no fun at any age.

Those push-in switches can be a joy to remove. It takes the right small screwdriver, a good thumb nail, turning your head just so, and reciting the right incantations .... sometimes. Other times, they just jump right out if they ever locked in at all.
kate520

Post by kate520 »

Sprouts pediatrician rode a mountain bike every day for 35 years, until one day he crashed and died. He was 88.

The End.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY
Foggy
Avatar: Silly engineers have been using 3D printers to make Godzilla arms for chickens.

Post by Foggy »

So if I follow that path I still have 21 years of riding my bike ahead of me.

I'll take it. :thumbs:
I hope y'all are still wearing your seat belts!
Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Hubby and I are enjoying our togetherness most of the time.

Imagine if you will, a large, fluffy, exuberant dog who LOVES to socialize living with a small feline who has limits on her tolerance of social interaction. Put them in a house for two weeks alone. Shake and stir.
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
August 26 was proclaimed Women's Equality Day in 1972 by Richard Nixon. August 26, 1920, was date the 19th Amendment was confirmed by the Secretary of State and became law.
Princess foofypants

Post by Princess foofypants »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:49 am Hubby and I are enjoying our togetherness most of the time.

Imagine if you will, a large, fluffy, exuberant dog who LOVES to socialize living with a small feline who has limits on her tolerance of social interaction. Put them in a house for two weeks alone. Shake and stir.
Im loving the picture in my head right now. Make sure small feline gets plenty of feline time for both of y’all’s sakes.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Princess foofypants wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:38 pm
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:49 am Hubby and I are enjoying our togetherness most of the time.

Im loving the picture in my head right now. Make sure small feline gets plenty of feline time for both of y’all’s sakes.
Thank you, Princess! I was once an extravert but fibromyalgia has limited my energy for in person social interaction. :bighug:
August 26 was proclaimed Women's Equality Day in 1972 by Richard Nixon. August 26, 1920, was date the 19th Amendment was confirmed by the Secretary of State and became law.
Azastan

Post by Azastan »

My nice neighbour built me a chicken coop last year because his wife gave me her extra chickens. There's only two chickens left since they got picked off by hawks, and now they refuse to live in the coop. That's ok, I have a barn and they now live in there.

A couple of days ago I decided to clean up the coop and move the horse blankets into it, along with assorted gardening machines and the extra plastic pallets which I use for hay storage. That project is almost done, so I'm continuing with the other big project of painting the feed room. Last week we had lovely weather and I was able to move some of the tack outside so I had room to work. This week it's been off and on raining so the tack all had to go back inside and I don't have nearly enough room, but I am slowly but surely getting it painted.

Next project is to dig up the old grape vines which want to pull down my telephone line every year. I thought I would possibly be able to transplant them and had offered them to my neighbour (the same one who built the coop) but even he could not get a big enough root ball to move them (and he was really determined to move them). They never ripen properly because they don't get enough sun, so it's a shame they weren't planted in an appropriate place in the first place.
tek

Post by tek »

local pizza shop putting up make-your-own-pizza kits for kids (and their parents)
d-2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's no way back
from there to here
tek

Post by tek »

from daughter.tek:
The dog is really, really sick of us being home all the time so he can't get in the trash
There's no way back
from there to here
Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 »

I watched the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy (extended version) while walking on the treadmill.

The trip from the Shire to Mordor is more realistic when you have to walk 30 miles to get there. :-D
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

In answer to the thread topic, I was not sane to begin with. So there's that.
Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Mrs. V. taking Zoomed recorder meeting tonight. On Saturday and Sunday she will participate in Zoomed master classes put on by the Amherst Early Music, $25 each. Cheap compared to the thousands it costs for her to go the the now canceled AEM event in Connecticut in July.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

watching some old movies with my husband. Up next: Anatomy of a Murder. *The best* courtroom drama ever made.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

I added Carnival of Souls to my list.
Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Had a 2 hour Zoom visit with our daughters and sons-in-law yesterday after our daughters finished remote teaching and after school meetings.

Older daughter showed us student art work from this past week that she was grading. One assignment for 1st graders was to draw Olaf from "Frozen". Quite a range of interpretations. ;)

Younger daughter showed us their new apartment which we have not seen. Mrs. V. had planned to visit during spring break but of course that trip was canceled.

It is usual in April for school districts to get teachers to sign contracts for the coming school year but that will probably be delayed as school administrator work to get remote teaching fully rolled out. Our daughters report that many things such as how to grade have yet to be finalized. Schools having problems with students who do not have good access to the Internet. Both of our daughters are still reaching out to find some of their students.

Cats joined in our virtual visit at all three locations. :)
chancery

Post by chancery »

Butterfly Bilderberg wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:00 am I have joined #MillionMaskMayday and am sewing medical masks for my local hospital.
Good to hear from you Butterfly. Hope that you and your daughter (IIRC) are safe and well.
Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

So I was scrolling thru Twitter yesterday when the city tourism office tweeted out a suggestion for a nice take out restaurant. The restaurant is called "Brooklyn Pizza".

Our city has a restaurant called "Brooklyn Pizza"?! :o :shock: How did I not know this??

(The restaurant is behind a Chick-fil-A that we never go to in a strip mall that we never go to.)

We are on a low carb diet but I was still curious to know if they made authentic Brooklyn-style pizza. So I checked their website. The main page has video of the Brooklyn Bridge. They tout their New York made brick oven and imported ingredients. They make their own pizza dough and offer a proper-sized 18" pie. Well, at least they talk the talk.

Looking at their menu I noticed that a pizza option was low carb cauliflower crust! Called Mrs. V. into the room. Bottom line, we ordered pizza and a salad for dinner. My leftovers this lunch time.-

You will notice immediately that the cheese is not Grande Mozzarella. Serious pizza makers in New York mostly use Grande Mozzarella, the finest melting mozzarella available anywhere. The mozzarella used was perfectly OK as ordinary mozzarellas go. Toppings and sauce were very good. We will be ordering from them again soon. :thumbs:
Tiredretiredlawyer

Yummy!!!!

Return to “Coronavirus”