What are you doing to stay sane on your Staycation?

Foggy
Avatar: Silly engineers have been using 3D printers to make Godzilla arms for chickens.

Re: What are you doing to stay sane on your Staycation?

Post by Foggy »

Foggy wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:16 pm 3. Next project: building a bookcase for ol' Wifehorn. I'll take photos.
Well, I got some red oak plywood and cut the sides of the bookcase, and the next step involves my table saw, which is a Delta about 20 years old, but it's always been reliable, but I haven't used it much recently.

So yesterday I fire it up and there's a nice "kill switch" you can hit with your knee in case you accidentally saw off one of your limbs or you're having trouble sawing 3" titanium rods or something, only suddenly it doesn't work.

And it doesn't work in a very bad way, in that the saw doesn't turn off at all anymore, unless you unplug it from the outlet.

RoadScholar is a professional woodworker, and he will confirm that this is A BAD THING. That's a safety issue that involves my personal body.

I tried to disassemble the mofo and fix it myself, but I didn't get very far with it, so I called the shop where I bought it lo these many moons ago, but they don't do repairs. So I googled the goog, and found a nice tool repair shop that isn't open on Saturday night (or Sunday).

Let's put the bookcase on hold for a few days.
I hope y'all are still wearing your seat belts!
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

Bill_G wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:45 am
Back in the day when STNG was fresh and new on teevee, I came up with a Deanna Troi Cleavage meter: If this was going to be a stupid episode, she would have a plunging neckline on her uniform, and if it was going to be a thriller, it would be higher than a nun's habit.
I think the layperson views 7 of 9 as eye candy and that’s it. She definitely seems to have started as that but they do some interesting things with her upgrading the ship with borg tech etc. It does get annoying when every episode ends up being centered around her and she gets used as a plot device constantly. I don’t think the show ever properly utilized her, she fills the Spock slot which Tuvok never really seemed to do very well, but she’s never perfected. It’s a waste though because Jeri Ryan is clearly better than the material she’s provided with. In the few episodes she’s allowed to actually act and do a Ferengi impression or EMH impression she excels.

A good comparison is T’Pol who also clearly started as eye candy for the mostly male audience but ends up being one of the more developed characters in Trek by the end of the show.

But 7 is brought back for the Picard show and she isn’t even speaking in the same cadence. A total mess.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Jeffrey wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:29 am
Bill_G wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:45 am
Back in the day when STNG was fresh and new on teevee, I came up with a Deanna Troi Cleavage meter: If this was going to be a stupid episode, she would have a plunging neckline on her uniform, and if it was going to be a thriller, it would be higher than a nun's habit.
I think the layperson views 7 of 9 as eye candy and that’s it. She definitely seems to have started as that but they do some interesting things with her upgrading the ship with borg tech etc. It does get annoying when every episode ends up being centered around her and she gets used as a plot device constantly. I don’t think the show ever properly utilized her, she fills the Spock slot which Tuvok never really seemed to do very well, but she’s never perfected. It’s a waste though because Jeri Ryan is clearly better than the material she’s provided with. In the few episodes she’s allowed to actually act and do a Ferengi impression or EMH impression she excels.

A good comparison is T’Pol who also clearly started as eye candy for the mostly male audience but ends up being one of the more developed characters in Trek by the end of the show.

But 7 is brought back for the Picard show and she isn’t even speaking in the same cadence. A total mess.
Tasha Yar (Denise Crosby) was for eye-candy too also. She walked away and they killed her off in a very ungratifying manner... but they brought her back in later storylines because fans were pissed.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

neonzx wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:58 am Tasha Yar (Denise Crosby) was for eye-candy too also. She walked away and they killed her off in a very ungratifying manner... but they brought her back in later storylines because fans were pissed.
Not this fan. I didn't like the character. I'm not sure any of the Star Treks (the ones I've seen — I stopped mid-Voyager) have known how to handle women characters.
TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

My husband is washing the car. It finally stopped raining here. He's a high energy guy and he's always happier when he is in motion. When he's not running the vacuum cleaner or using the leaf blower in my ear, it makes for a more pleasant situation. :lol:
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

pipistrelle wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:05 pm
neonzx wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:58 am Tasha Yar (Denise Crosby) was for eye-candy too also. She walked away and they killed her off in a very ungratifying manner... but they brought her back in later storylines because fans were pissed.
Not this fan. I didn't like the character. I'm not sure any of the Star Treks (the ones I've seen — I stopped mid-Voyager) have known how to handle women characters.
Tasha sucked. But skip to Enterprise. T’Pol is the best female character.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Jeffrey wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:16 pm
pipistrelle wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:05 pm
Tasha sucked. But skip to Enterprise. T’Pol is the best female character.
Logic clearly dictates that I have to agree with you. T'Pol is the a very balanced character. But she's not human, she's Vulcan, so it makes sense. :bag:
kate520

Post by kate520 »

Sunday is the day of the week I most look forward to because of Vedanta class. It’s an hour + of philosophical discussion with two old friends and our teacher, who is by now an old friend. We are reading and discussing the books of Swami A. Parthasarathy, who taught our teacher, Glenn, in India. Glenn is from New Zealand and now lives in Santa Monica. Each slim chapter can take weeks to read, depending on our discussions.

Some Vedanta followers you may know:
Goethe, Emerson, Thoreau, Whitman, Schopenhauer, Jung, Yeats, Huxley, Tesla, and Bill Murray.

My class starts via Zoom in 30 minutes. I have to clean my office...at least what’s behind me :lol:

The book to start with is The Fall of the Human Intellect.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

Jeffrey wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:23 am Giving Star Trek Voyager another watch and lamenting how poorly they treated 7 of 9 on Picard and confirming that Janeway is a madwoman.
Rewatching DS9 is Mrs. FRP and my way of coping with everything, really.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

TexasFilly wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:11 pm My husband is washing the car. It finally stopped raining here. He's a high energy guy and he's always happier when he is in motion. When he's not running the vacuum cleaner or using the leaf blower in my ear, it makes for a more pleasant situation. :lol:
What is it about leaf blowers? My husband, thankfully, keeps the deck and driveway clean EVERY DAY. He researched which leaf blower makes the least noise. Youngest granddaughter, now 4, loves using Papa's leaf blower. We bought a toy one for her birthday. It blows bubbles and makes noise.
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
August 26 was proclaimed Women's Equality Day in 1972 by Richard Nixon. August 26, 1920, was date the 19th Amendment was confirmed by the Secretary of State and became law.
Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

2 hour facebook live with Aaron Neville. The voice of an angel. Chills down my spine, tears, every emotion just from listening to him.

Yeah, I'm a fan.
Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

The leaf blower I have makes the least noise. It looks like this:

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Sugar Magnolia wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:05 pm 2 hour facebook live with Aaron Neville. The voice of an angel. Chills down my spine, tears, every emotion just from listening to him.

Yeah, I'm a fan.
Aaron Neville's voice has kept me an agnostic rather than an atheist.
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett
Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

TexasFilly wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:11 pm
Sugar Magnolia wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:05 pm 2 hour facebook live with Aaron Neville. The voice of an angel. Chills down my spine, tears, every emotion just from listening to him.

Yeah, I'm a fan.
Aaron Neville's voice has kept me an agnostic rather than an atheist.
I hear ya. He took us to church with "Jesus Loves Me" then threw in 'Green Green Grass of Home' and 'Killing Me Softly" and about a million others. I love that Sarah chides him about how long he's playing and makes asides to the listeners. You can catch it on his page or the Freeville Farm page in a few minutes. Just checked and it's already up! Scroll down to the second one for the start of it. They had a technical glitch and the first one on the page is actually the second half. It's a full 2 hours of his beautiful voice.

ETA: Sarah got it figured out and it's all one video at the first link now.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Sterngard Friegen wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:09 pm The leaf blower I have makes the least noise. It looks like this:

You will be heading off with the chain gang in tow in direction of the nearest forrests ;)
Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Mrs. V. went online with other flutists and they all played together.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

We’re at the cabin. I’m hanging out watching totally mindless television (Survivor) and sewing masks, and my husband is working. He works for FEMA. He’s in his happy place doing meaningful and important work, and I have noise-cancelling headphones, so I can tune it out.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson
Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Now Mrs. V. is doing a jigsaw puzzle of Van Gogh's The Starry Night. It is quite challenging especially as the cats are helping. ;)

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
kate520

Post by kate520 »

Floyd and I were out in the garden planting bulbs. While we sat for a lemonade and surveyed our handiwork we were ambushed by Sprout and a garden hose. Floyd lurves him some hose water so they played while I changed.

While I was drying Floyd off some chickens came by and dug up our bulbs. Chickens are almost as helpful as kitties. So tomorrow we try again.

I’m telling ya, the interactions with my suddenly adult child In these days of plague are pure balm to my soul. :bighug:
DEFEND DEMOCRACY
Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Aaahh! Irreverent, boisterous young uns. They keep life HAPPY!
August 26 was proclaimed Women's Equality Day in 1972 by Richard Nixon. August 26, 1920, was date the 19th Amendment was confirmed by the Secretary of State and became law.
Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford »

Volkonski wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:39 pm Now Mrs. V. is doing a jigsaw puzzle of Van Gogh's The Starry Night. It is quite challenging especially as the cats are helping. ;)
Off Topic
My daughter has been learning Tilt Brush, which is a tool Google developed that lets people do art in virtual reality. She reinterpreted Starry Night as one of her early projects.

"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.
AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

Gorgeous!
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine
Princess foofypants

Post by Princess foofypants »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:55 pm
TexasFilly wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:11 pm My husband is washing the car. It finally stopped raining here. He's a high energy guy and he's always happier when he is in motion. When he's not running the vacuum cleaner or using the leaf blower in my ear, it makes for a more pleasant situation. :lol:
What is it about leaf blowers? My husband, thankfully, keeps the deck and driveway clean EVERY DAY. He researched which leaf blower makes the least noise. Youngest granddaughter, now 4, loves using Papa's leaf blower. We bought a toy one for her birthday. It blows bubbles and makes noise.
I’m not allowed to use the leaf blower since I had an unfortunate incident involving one, it’s motor and my hair.
Princess foofypants

Post by Princess foofypants »

Volkonski wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:39 pm Now Mrs. V. is doing a jigsaw puzzle of Van Gogh's The Starry Night. It is quite challenging especially as the cats are helping. ;)

My cats love puzzles. And computer keyboards.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Princess foofypants wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:35 pm
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:55 pm
[highlight]I’m not allowed to use the leaf blower since I had an unfortunate incident involving one, it’s motor and my hair.[/highlight]
It's against Fogbow Law to leave a teaser like that. Fess up.

Return to “Coronavirus”