What are you doing to stay sane on your Staycation?

kate520

What are you doing to stay sane on your Staycation?

Post by kate520 »

Let’s share our staycation plans. :dance:

The puppy and I are playing a lot of Ball in the Hall. It’s been raining and no one wants to go outside.

Last night the mr and I watched back-to-back Bond - Skyfall and Spectre * - and decided we’d watch all 24 in order. So that’s one thing.

A favorite singer/songwriter of ours, Vance Gilbert, hosted Vance Gilbert’s Pajama Party on Monday night on his FaceBook page. His gigs have all been cancelled, so he told everyone he’d play 3-4 songs online, maybe more if donations came in. He played for an hour and a half. He made $3k, so he’s going to make it a regular Monday night thing. He will be in his PJs. You won’t be sorry you tuned in.

What you got that you can share with us?

* There’s a character in Spectre, one of the bad guys, a smarmy young technocrat with a receding hairline and severe widow’s peak who can’t look anyone in the eye unless he’s bullying them. Mr520 and both said “OMG it’s Steven Miller!” At the same time. :lol:

ETA One more Vance
DEFEND DEMOCRACY
Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Re: What are you doing to stay sane on your Staycation?

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.fastcompany.com/90478307/st ... lustrators
Stuck at home? Take free drawing classes from famous illustrators

DRAWING CLASSES

READ ALONGS
Other illustrators will be using Instagram Live to read their books aloud during a daily story time. Times are posted on their Instagram feeds should you and your kids want to participate:
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
August 26 was proclaimed Women's Equality Day in 1972 by Richard Nixon. August 26, 1920, was date the 19th Amendment was confirmed by the Secretary of State and became law.
Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

I'm working from home. I'm getting cases ready for trial.

Of course, the trials seem to be getting put off until forever.
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

We just had an impromptu get-together with some neighbors. There’s a fountain with park benches in front of our house. They brought chairs and we all kept a discrete distance, and we had some beer and wine and a very nice chat. We’re going to keep it up. Real, in-person, human interaction, even at a distance, is good for my soul. I’ve been struggling.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson
AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine
Slim Cognito
Location: Home to gators, pythons and now trump. trump is the only one that scares me.

Post by Slim Cognito »

I’m playing lots of video games and nobody’s gonna shame me out of it.
ImageImageImage x4
Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

I'm now ripping through Kavanagh Q.C. on Amazon Prime. Not as good as Silk, Rake (Australian) or The Brief, but crusty old Kavanagh wears a wig and gown.

I must say I have begun to yell objections following many of the questions these barristers are posing. Despite being trained in the arts of trial, these barristers are very chatty with the judges and juries, and often make argument and speeches or testify rather than ask questions.

I'm beginning to think there may be more artistic license for these barrister shows than for U.S. legal shows. I would say 90% of what they do in court would not be permitted in the U.S. The American lawyer shows are only at about 80% fake.
kate520

Post by kate520 »

I’ve been struggling.
:bighug: :bighug:
(((Come sit over here by me. Bring your guitar.)))
DEFEND DEMOCRACY
Foggy
Avatar: Silly engineers have been using 3D printers to make Godzilla arms for chickens.

Post by Foggy »

1. Re-reading a book about my digital SLR camera. Going to try to improve my photography.

2. When I finish that, I'm going to seriously learn how to use my video editing software, a German company, Magix Movie Edit Pro.

3. Next project: building a bookcase for ol' Wifehorn. I'll take photos.

4. I have had a bruise on my heel for almost 2 weeks. I didn't give it a good chance to heal, but now I have rested it for 5 days without working out or trying to walk a few miles. I'll try to ride my bike tomorrow - it's supposed to be 80° here. And I don't put my heel on the bike pedal. By next week I ought to be back to walking 4 miles a day.

5. Signed up for my workout group fitness classes on Roku. Same company that licenses my local club, so Dances with Barbells and Musical Asskicking . Set it up today, with help from ol' Wifehorn (I'm no good with Tee Vee). When I played the first 60 seconds of a Musical Asskicking video, she started punching and kicking along. We may have to move the furniture so we can work out together, but first I have GOT to let my heel finish recovering. Also have some hand-held barbells, using them some every day.

6. Upgraded my video card and power supply, ol' Wifehorn bought us a VR headset, and we (meaning me and my sons) are ready for the release of Half-Life: Alyx on Monday. I may have to deal with motion sickness, but I'll get through it if I have to take Dramamine.

7. When all that is going OK, it will be spring, and I'll be sailing my little one-man sailboat in Falls Lake. But that's at least a month away.

8. I canceled all my upcoming doctor appointments. Nothing critical, giving them a chance to focus on people who desperately need them.

9. We're pretty stocked up on food and stuff. We've been reading Volkonski and started making plans more than a month ago. We probably won't be able to make it to Orlando in May, but still hoping for our week in Sunset Beach in July.

10. Other than that, just living in the cocoon. As I said, I'll probably be a butterfly when I emerge. 🦋
I hope y'all are still wearing your seat belts!
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

kate520 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:14 pm
I’ve been struggling.
:bighug: :bighug:
(((Come sit over here by me. Bring your guitar.)))
Thanks, Kate! It was chilly today, but supposed to be nice-ish next week. Neighbor suggested we get together and jam outside (he plays harmonica) should be fun!
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson
Addie

Post by Addie »

I'm writing a screenplay. My first stab at the form, so we'll wait and see. :daydream:
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver
Jez

Post by Jez »

Living my life in its normal fashion. I work from home and rarely go out. The messed up knee put a kibosh to my exercise classes a couple of weeks ago (strained ligament, bone spur on knee cap, arthritis) so, really, nothing has changed.

I'm going insane, in other words.
I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran
SLQ

Post by SLQ »

I work from my home office, so that hasn't changed. I have a summary judgment motion that I need to file, though the April 13 date has been postponed indefinitely. An appellate brief. Other odds and ends. I'm doing some papercrafting. Texting and facetiming my grandkids, who are off school in Illinois. Listening to some music. Watching movies and rewatching Roswell. I'll be going over to help my niece do a pedicure because their baby is due within the next two weeks. Getting things organized (finally) from my sudden move late last fall. Relaxing.

I'm also trying to support my local businesses. I walked up for takeout coffee from a local coffeehouse. I just got back from drive-thru takout from my favorite BBQ place.
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda
TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Cooking. Cleaning!!! Trying not to kill my husband. Reading.
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett
Azastan

Post by Azastan »

Horses still eat, so they still produce poop. I have a couple of young riders who come over every Wednesday and help me ride a few of the horses. I stayed well away from them today, doused everywhere they'd touched with some isopropyl alcohol, and had a good time.

I'm going to paint the tackroom. I've been working on that for a couple of years now!

Finish reading all the bound issues of Punch magazine which I have been slowly reading over the last few years.

And of course, cleaning!

I've always pretty much kept to myself, and was never much into big gatherings, so life has not really changed very much for me.
kate520

Post by kate520 »

I have a sneaking suspicion some of us are going to want to exchange ideas for the third thing on your list in about 2 weeks, filly.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

COVID-19 is making it easy to separate the introverts from the extroverts. The former are happy as clams, and the latter went nuts after the first three hours.

I work on my computer, get my entertainment from my computer (except for tennis), and communicate using my computer.

My life is shockingly the same as always--except no live sports on TV (streamed from my computer). I'm watching the 2004 ALCS as background to the work.
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Post by Dr. Kenneth Noisewater »

Working from home. Watched a few movies. Finally getting around to all the political books I've purchased over the last year. Finished Accidental Presidents moving on to "To End a Presidency"
Azastan

Post by Azastan »

p0rtia wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:52 pm COVID-19 is making it easy to separate the introverts from the extroverts. The former are happy as clams, and the latter went nuts after the first three hours.

I work on my computer, get my entertainment from my computer (except for tennis), and communicate using my computer.

My life is shockingly the same as always--except no live sports on TV (streamed from my computer). I'm watching the 2004 ALCS as background to the work.
You are spot on with the 'happy as clams' introverts!
SLQ

Post by SLQ »

Azastan wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:13 pm
p0rtia wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:52 pm COVID-19 is making it easy to separate the introverts from the extroverts. The former are happy as clams, and the latter went nuts after the first three hours.

You are spot on with the 'happy as clams' introverts!
:mememe:
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda
PaulG

Post by PaulG »

Slim Cognito wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:57 pm I’m playing lots of video games and nobody’s gonna shame me out of it.
Same here, no shame. A good game can involve months of work, so we're ahead of the game, ironically.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Foggy wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:16 pm :snippity:

10. Other than that, just living in the cocoon. As I said, I'll probably be a butterfly when I emerge. 🦋
:o :confused: the Thai bar girls use that term for a guy who jumps from girlfriend to girlfriend :blackeye:

Wifehorn may not appreaciate your choice of 2nd life form :lol:
Princess foofypants

Post by Princess foofypants »

I’m working. Realist is working. The cats are “helping”. In the evening we watch a new show we’ve discovered called Line of Duty. Been around since 2012 and it is really good.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

I'm working from home 5 days a week vs. 2.

I'm an extreme introvert, but I'm not going out at all (as in even walking), which is a bad idea because now I'm getting down at not being outdoors. (I'm outdoorsy.)

Happened upon a Facebook Live video of two Celtic fiddlers getting ready to play. Dog napping on the sofa back, cat sitting nearby. Just as they're set to go, another cat walks up to the camera and decides to lie against it. Several seconds of nothing but very closeup fur, some sounds of consternation, and then a removal.

Return to “Coronavirus”