Coronavirus: Public Opinion

Addie

Coronavirus: Public Opinion

Post by Addie »

Politico
Poll: Voters split on Trump’s handling of coronavirus outbreak

The poll also shows a significant share of voters shrugging at the idea of major disruptions to their lives.

Voters are divided along party lines on how President Donald Trump is handling the burgeoning coronavirus pandemic in the U.S., according to a new poll out Sunday that shows a majority predicting it won’t change their lives in a significant way.

Nearly half of voters in the new NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll, 45 percent, approve of the job Trump is doing in handling the outbreak, slightly fewer than the 51 percent who disapprove. That nearly matches Trump’s overall approval rating of 46 percent, which is statistically unchanged from a month ago.

The partisan split on Trump’s handling of the virus is wide: While 81 percent of self-identified Republican voters approve of how the president is handling the situation, 84 percent of Democrats disapprove. Among independent voters, 43 percent approve, and 52 percent disapprove.

More strikingly, a significant share of voters, mostly Republicans, say they don’t expect the outbreak to have major effects on their daily lives — a view that runs counter to the recommendations of public-health officials.

The poll was conducted March 11-13, surveying 900 registered voters. It went into the field the day of Trump’s address to the nation on the outbreak on Wednesday, the same day the NBA suspended its season after a player, Utah’s Rudy Gobert, contracted the virus and actor Tom Hanks announced he and his wife, actress Rita Wilson, had also tested positive for coronavirus.
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

Foggy

Re: Coronavirus: Public Opinion

Post by Foggy »

It's still early for the Trumpanzees and the Foxnewzees.

They're going to be forced to choke down a little reality this time.
For more information, read it again.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

Foggy wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:08 am

Not if they're like the Governor of Oklahoma who was out sharing sputum samples (figuratively, not literally) with his neighbors at a large restaurant gathering.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:01 pm
Foggy wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:08 am

Not if they're like the Governor of Oklahoma who was out sharing sputum samples (figuratively, not literally) with his neighbors at a large restaurant gathering.
Or our idiot Tater Tot governor who cut his Spain trip short (to see his daughter play in a soccer tournament) and returned on Friday. So far, no reports of a self-quarantine or even a test.

After returning from SPAIN.

On FRIDAY.

From a SOCCER TOURNAMENT.

I'm seeing a pattern here.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

45 percent, approve of the job Trump is doing in handling the outbreak, slightly fewer than the 51 percent who disapprove.
Just five weeks ago trump said we had 15 cases, soon to be 0. We now have, hell what is it today, 2600, 2700? It was 2500 yesterday. More people have died than trump wanted to admit were infected.

I. Just. Can't.

It's time to go build my blanket fort. (There's a blanket fort party on Facebook today. We can't go out, might as well make it fun.)

Republicans can just Darwin Award themselves out of existence.
ImageImageImage x4

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, I can see Trump voters dying like flies. Then he'll take it seriously, not before.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Foggy wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:47 pm
Yeah, I can see Trump voters dying like flies. Then he'll take it seriously, not before.
As long as his rich donors are alive, I don't think it will matter all that much to him. And he only looks at his approval ratings from Republicans. The Republicans will still love him. There will be fewer of them, but those surviving will be just as fanatical in their support as they are now.
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

You may be right, MN-Skeptic.

I think by a week from tomorrow, this country -- including Fox News -- is going to be in full panic.

When the word gets out that sick people can't be hospitalized because there are no more hospital beds, this great nation is going to FREAK RIGHT ON OUT. :eek2:

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

MS has gone from 1 confirmed case last Wed to 4 on Friday and now to 10 this morning. Still 3 more days to go before we even hit the one week mark since the first case.

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Foggy wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:25 pm
You may be right, MN-Skeptic.

I think by a week from tomorrow, this country -- including Fox News -- is going to be in full panic.

When the word gets out that sick people can't be hospitalized because there are no more hospital beds, this great nation is going to FREAK RIGHT ON OUT. :eek2:
My first thought in reading this was FoxNews won't freakout but then I recalled Katrina. We saw several commentators and reporters break. Anyone with compassion to feel empathy for others would (and will).
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Addie

Post by Addie »

Same poll:
Newsweek: Only 48 Percent of Americans Trust Donald Trump to Handle Coronavirus Crisis, Poll Says
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

Addie

Post by Addie »

Morning Consult: 41% of Public More Likely to Support Universal Health Care Amid Pandemic

34% of independents, 25% of GOP say COVID-19 increases their likelihood of backing progressive proposals

With Americans entering crisis mode over the coronavirus — self-isolating, rationing medicine and scrambling for clarity on the cost of testing and treatment — for some people, the pandemic is doing one thing many progressives have fought to do for decades: making a stronger case for universal health care.

More than 2 in 5 U.S. adults say the outbreak has increased their likelihood of supporting universal health care proposals where the government would provide all Americans with health insurance, according to new Morning Consult data. That includes 1 in 4 Republicans and 34 percent of independents. The poll has a margin of error of 2 percentage points.

Thirty-five percent of adults said the virus outbreak has not affected their likelihood of supporting universal health care proposals, while 12 percent said it has made them less likely.

The March 12-13 poll of 2,201 U.S. adults comes amid a bipartisan, bicameral effort to guarantee that all Americans have access to free care for the coronavirus. Democrats and public health experts have pointed to the pandemic as clear evidence of the United States’ disadvantage relative to other countries in responding to public health emergencies — unlike South Korea, Taiwan and other countries that have rapidly deployed universally accessible screening, uninsured and underinsured Americans are still priced out of care.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Addie

Post by Addie »

NPR
Poll: Americans Don't Trust What They're Hearing From Trump On Coronavirus

Americans have little trust in the information they are hearing from President Trump about the novel coronavirus, and their confidence in the federal government's response to it is declining sharply, according to a new NPR/PBS NewsHour/Marist poll.

Just 46% of Americans now say the federal government is doing enough to prevent the spread of coronavirus, down from 61% in February.

Just 37% of Americans now say they had a good amount or a great deal of trust in what they're hearing from the president, while 60% say they had not very much or no trust at all in what he's saying.

The president rates worst of all groups tested, be it public health officials, state and local leaders or the news media. And more Americans disapprove of the president's handling of the pandemic than approve by a 49%-44% margin. But that does not differ greatly from his overall job approval rating, which stands at 43%.

That's largely unchanged from the last survey in February, and 51% still said they approve of the president's handling of the economy, despite the massive slides in the stock market related to the coronavirus of late.
Also:
NPR: Poll: As Coronavirus Spreads, Fewer Americans See Pandemic As A Real Threat

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

People have no idea. They either watch Fox or get their news from FB memes from their crazy uncle. My neighbor has a home-based craft business and, I'm guessing, no money in the market. Because of her mother's health, she's watching the Health Dept updates and respects those and she's aware of problems with supply chains but that's China's fault. Her business is still cranking along just fine. Orders are still coming in. What recession? There's no recession!
ImageImageImage x4

Addie

Post by Addie »

CNN
New polls show effect of right-wing media's dismissive and conspiratorial coronavirus coverage ...

Polls from both Gallup and Pew Research revealed that Republicans — who are largely distrustful of mainstream news organizations and primarily turn to Fox News and other right-wing sources for information on current events — were much less likely to take the risks of the coronavirus as seriously as their Democratic counterparts. ...

Gallup's poll, conducted between March 3 and 13, found that only 42% of Republicans were "very worried" or "somewhat worried" about the virus. In comparison, 73% of Democrats expressed that level of concern.

Pew Research, which conducted its survey from March 10 to 16, found that 83% of Republicans who consumed only a diet of outlets with right-leaning audiences believed the news media had exaggerated the risks of the virus. That number was 30% higher than Democrats who consumed only outlets with left-leaning audiences.

More specifically, Pew Research found that 79% of people who said they turned to Fox News for their news believed the media had exaggerated the risks of the virus.

In general, 59% of Republicans surveyed by Pew Research believed the media had covered the outbreak either "very well" or "somewhat well." That was 21% lower than those on the other side of the political spectrum, with 80% of Democrats believing the media had covered the virus well.

Sixty three percent of Fox News viewers surveyed by Pew Research also said they believed the virus posed a minor threat to the health of the country, compared with 31% of MSNBC viewers and 37% of CNN viewers.

Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

I am so thrilled we have yet another Coronavirus thread.

Addie

Post by Addie »

ABC News
Coronavirus upends nation, as three in four Americans' lives changed by pandemic: POLL

A new ABC News/Ipsos poll shows a far different portrait of a country.

As a deepening public health crisis rocks the nation, a new ABC News/Ipsos poll released Friday shows a far different portrait of a country than from only one week ago, as nearly three in four Americans now say their lives have been upended in some way by the novel coronavirus and President Donald Trump's approval for his handling of the outbreak is on the rise.

In the new poll, 55% of Americans approve of the president's management of the crisis, compared to 43% who disapprove. Trump’s approval on this issue is up from last week, when the numbers were nearly reversed. Only 43% approved of Trump's handling of the pandemic and 54% disapproved in last week's poll.

This week, 72% said their lives have been disrupted in some way by the coronavirus, either by canceling going out to dinner, taking a vacation, or attending religious services, among other options, a massive 46-point leap from last week when only about one-quarter of Americans said the same. ...

While only 17% say they are now working from home due to the coronavirus, that is significantly higher than the 3% who said the same last week. Still 36% say they are working from their regular workspace, a number that stood at 55% just last week.

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

How in the world does a majority approve of Trump's job handling this? I mean, I get that people are stupid. But Jesus.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Addie

Post by Addie »

He's going to be reelected, the bastard, isn't he? :cantlook:
fierceredpanda wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:59 am
How in the world does a majority approve of Trump's job handling this? I mean, I get that people are stupid. But Jesus.

Addie

Post by Addie »

CNN - 3/18/20
New polls show effect of right-wing media's dismissive and conspiratorial coronavirus coverage

New York (CNN Business)Two polls released this week show the troubling effects that weeks of dismissive and conspiratorial coverage of the novel coronavirus from Fox News and other right-wing media outlets and personalities had on the American public.

Since President Donald Trump adopted a more somber approach toward combatting the virus, addressing the nation from the Oval Office and declaring a national emergency, top hosts on Fox News and in conservative media have taken the pandemic significantly more seriously.

But prior to that, right-wing media spent weeks downplaying concerns about the virus. ...

The irresponsible coverage had a real effect.

Polls from both Gallup and Pew Research revealed that Republicans — who are largely distrustful of mainstream news organizations and primarily turn to Fox News and other right-wing sources for information on current events — were much less likely to take the risks of the coronavirus as seriously as their Democratic counterparts.

"Among subgroups, political party identification reflects the starkest differences in levels of worry about coronavirus exposure," concluded Justin McCarthy, an analyst at Gallup.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

fierceredpanda wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:59 am
There's always an initial "rally around the flag effect." Most Americans aren't (knowingly sick) YET and the dead bodies haven't started piling up yet. Sadly, that will change and I expect these poll numbers to change as well.
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

Republicans — who are largely distrustful of mainstream news organizations and primarily turn to Fox News and other right-wing sources for information on current events — were much less likely to take the risks of the coronavirus as seriously as their Democratic counterparts.
I'm not gonna miss 'em! :nope:

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Return to “Coronavirus”