Trump Coronavirus Timeline

Suranis

Re: Trump Coronavirus Timeline

Post by Suranis »

This is a good one to drop on a facebook timeline.

The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Sam the Centipede wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:10 pm
:o :think: I like links! Although I ignore links when someone posts a bare link with no indication of what's at the target and why it might be interesting. If they don't consider it worth glossing the link, I infer that it's not worth following the link.
I'm highly guilty of this but it's not because I don't think it's worth quoting; it's because I'm on a mobile device and it's sometimes dang frustrating to copy, quote, paste, etc., with big fingers on a touchy screen. Half the time I give up and post the link only.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

TexasFilly wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:46 pm
This is neither shocking nor surprising coming from this bunch of malevolent assholes, but I'm putting it here because this may be yet another milestone (or gravestone) in this debacle:
WASHINGTON — The White House had been preparing to reveal on Wednesday a joint venture between General Motors and Ventec Life Systems that would allow for the production of as many as 80,000 desperately needed ventilators to respond to an escalating pandemic when word suddenly came down that the announcement was off.

The decision to cancel the announcement, government officials say, came after the Federal Emergency Management Agency said it needed more time to assess whether the estimated cost was prohibitive. That price tag was more than $1 billion, with several hundred million dollars to be paid upfront to General Motors to retool a car parts plant in Kokomo, Ind., where the ventilators would be made with Ventec’s technology.

Government officials said that the deal might still happen but that they are examining at least a dozen other proposals. And they contend that an initial promise that the joint venture could turn out 20,000 ventilators in short order had shrunk to 7,500, with even that number in doubt. Longtime emergency managers at FEMA are working with military officials to sort through the competing offers and federal procurement rules while under pressure to give President Trump something to announce.
Much more: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/26/us/p ... e=Homepage

Hint: Pence asked Jared to help two weeks ago. After Jared solved the problem with test kits, he moved onto being in charge of ventilators.
Bumping this because it's an important story and people should read it.
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

Are Trump and Kushner holding out to see how much they can get for themselves?

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

So I guess this NYT piece isn't FAKE NEWS because it looks like the Malevolent Asshole is running with it:
Stevens was Romney's campaign manager in 2012. And I guess Trump knows more about ventilators than the doctors who use them do.

Addie

Post by Addie »

Politico: Trump works to rewrite narrative on coronavirus response

The president’s team is working to quickly blunt criticism of his handling of the outbreak

Team Trump is rushing to rewrite the early narrative about the president’s response to coronavirus.

Faced with endless video clips of Donald Trump downplaying the escalating outbreak, Trump aides and allies are working furiously to instead highlight the president’s recent actions and comments.

Their effort comprises three tactics: Blanket supporters with detailed timelines of every action the Trump administration took. Amplify praise of those actions. And forcefully push back against anyone who criticizes those actions.

Just over seven months from the November election, Trump’s aides and allies realize the president’s campaign for a second term has been completely transformed in a matter of weeks. It will now come down to his handling of the coronavirus pandemic and his response to a devastated economy, according to seven people familiar with the situation, including four who speak directly with the president.
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

:sick:

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Great. Trump, obviously more politically astute than he's given credit for is doing all the right things. And we are saddled with Bernie and his cult doing everything they can do destroy our probable candidate. (Well, maybe not probable at this point?)
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

I've been curious as to when Mr. V. was first alerted to this. Here's what he posted on January 9, 2020
Re: New Diseases
Report Quote #4 Post by Volkonski » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:29 pm
China Identifies New Virus Causing Pneumonialike Illness
The new coronavirus doesn’t appear to be readily spread by humans, but researchers caution that more study is needed.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/08/heal ... virus.html
Chinese researchers say they have identified a new virus behind an illness that has infected dozens of people across Asia, setting off fears in a region that was struck by a deadly epidemic 17 years ago.

There is no evidence that the new virus is readily spread by humans, which would make it particularly dangerous, and it has not been tied to any deaths. But health officials in China and elsewhere are watching it carefully to ensure that the outbreak does not develop into something more severe.

Researchers in China have “initially identified” the new virus, a coronavirus, as the pathogen behind a mysterious, pneumonialike illness that has sickened 59 people in the city of Wuhan and caused a panic in the central Chinese region, the state broadcaster, China Central Television, said on Thursday. They detected this virus in 15 of the people who fell ill, the report said.

The new coronavirus “is different from previous human coronaviruses that were previously discovered, and more scientific research is needed for further understanding,” the report said.
So a retired guy (albeit brilliant and very astute) was onto this on January 9. And the information the NYT published was obviously not entirely correct. But Mr. V. (I assume) is not privy to the intelligence community reports that Trump was getting (and ignoring). The intrepid Mr. V. again posted on January 20:
#5 Post by Volkonski » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:29 am
ABC News
@ABC
·
7m
JUST IN: The new coronavirus that has infected more than 200 people in China has been transmitted between humans, according to Chinese health authorities.
https://t.co/KUcm7latpq?amp=1
So Trump KNEW or should have KNOWN about this early in January, at the very latest. But instead he was worried about vaping, golfing and stonewalling. I would call this criminal negligence. YMMV

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

He thought if he pretended it wasn't real, it wouldn't be a problem for his re-election. I think he really did believe that if he closed his eyes and clicked his heels together three times, he could make it disappear, like a miracle. He didn't want it to be real, because presidenting is hard.

And he knew that Hillary Clinton and George Soros had invented the virus to make the economy die and hurt his chances of getting re-elected.

He's a victim, really. :violin: :crying:
For more information, read it again.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey »

Foggy wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:44 pm
He thought if he pretended it wasn't real, it wouldn't be a problem for his re-election. I think he really did believe that if he closed his eyes and clicked his heels together three times, he could make it disappear, like a miracle. He didn't want it to be real, because presidenting is hard.

And he knew that Hillary Clinton and George Soros had invented the virus to make the economy die and hurt his chances of getting re-elected.

We would be better off with President Ed Hale & Vice President Orly
I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

SLQ

Post by SLQ »

Foggy wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:44 pm

That is exactly what this new book says, The Strange Case of Donald J. Trump. To Trump, the only reality is his perception of whether he wins or loses at any particular time based on how it plays out publicly. He thought that he could shape the outcome of TRUMP vs. COVID-19 by what he said publicly. But COVID-19 is unlike any of his other enemies. It truly doesn't care what he says or what he thinks and will never respond to him. That's why you see DOTUS choosing other enemies, like Romney, Governow Cuomo, Governor Inslee, and Governor Whitmer. He's trying to win the narrative a different way. But he's already lost to COVID-19.
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

Addie

Post by Addie »

The Guardian - Tom McCarthy
The missing six weeks: how Trump failed the biggest test of his life

When the definitive history of the coronavirus pandemic is written, the date 20 January 2020 is certain to feature prominently. It was on that day that a 35-year-old man in Washington state, recently returned from visiting family in Wuhan in China, became the first person in the US to be diagnosed with the virus.

On the very same day, 5,000 miles away in Asia, the first confirmed case of Covid-19 was reported in South Korea. The confluence was striking, but there the similarities ended.

In the two months since that fateful day, the responses to coronavirus displayed by the US and South Korea have been polar opposites.

One country acted swiftly and aggressively to detect and isolate the virus, and by doing so has largely contained the crisis. The other country dithered and procrastinated, became mired in chaos and confusion, was distracted by the individual whims of its leader, and is now confronted by a health emergency of daunting proportions.

Within a week of its first confirmed case, South Korea’s disease control agency had summoned 20 private companies to the medical equivalent of a war-planning summit and told them to develop a test for the virus at lightning speed. A week after that, the first diagnostic test was approved and went into battle, identifying infected individuals who could then be quarantined to halt the advance of the disease.

Some 357,896 tests later, the country has more or less won the coronavirus war. On Friday only 91 new cases were reported in a country of more than 50 million.

The US response tells a different story. Two days after the first diagnosis in Washington state, Donald Trump went on air on CNBC and bragged: “We have it totally under control. It’s one person coming from China. It’s going to be just fine.”
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

Addie

Post by Addie »

New York Times: Analyzing the Patterns in Trump’s Falsehoods About Coronavirus

For months, the president has downplayed the severity of the pandemic, overstated the impact of his policies and potential treatments, blamed others and tried to rewrite the history of his response.
Also:
New York Times: The Lost Month: How a failure to test blinded the U.S. to COVID-19

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Addie wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:27 am
New York Times: Analyzing the Patterns in Trump’s Falsehoods About Coronavirus

For months, the president has downplayed the severity of the pandemic, overstated the impact of his policies and potential treatments, blamed others and tried to rewrite the history of his response.
It's his playbook. Not many pages in it and he's been using it his entire life.

Addie

Post by Addie »

Cross-posting
Yahoo News: Senator says White House turned down emergency coronavirus funding in early February

WASHINGTON — Sen. Chris Murphy, a Connecticut Democrat, says that Trump administration officials declined an offer of early congressional funding assistance that he and other senators made on Feb. 5 during a meeting to discuss the coronavirus.

The officials, including Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar, said they “didn’t need emergency funding, that they would be able to handle it within existing appropriations,” Murphy recalled in an interview with Yahoo News’ “Skullduggery” podcast.

“What an awful, horrible catastrophic mistake that was,” Murphy said.

On Feb. 5, Murphy tweeted: “Just left the Administration briefing on Coronavirus. Bottom line: they aren't taking this seriously enough. Notably, no request for ANY emergency funding, which is a big mistake. Local health systems need supplies, training, screening staff etc. And they need it now.”
Adding:
Business Insider: The Trump administration declined to use an Obama-era pandemic preparedness playbook, Politico reports
Independent: Video emerges showing Trump talking about cutting pandemic team in 2018, despite saying last week 'I didn't know about it'

Video appears to contradict president's claim of ignorance about the cuts

Addie

Post by Addie »

Mother Jones: New research shows states with Republican governors were slower to adopt social distancing policies ...

A new white paper shows that states with Republican governors, along with states with higher number of supporters of President Donald Trump, were slower to adopt social distancing policies—and those delays “are likely to produce significant ongoing harm to public health.”

The biggest influence in how states acted was not the number of confirmed cases, but rather politics, according to new research by a group of professors at the University of Washington. They focused on five measures taken directly from state government websites: restrictions on gatherings, school closures, restaurant restrictions, non-essential business closures, and stay-at-home orders. Trump initially downplayed the threat of the virus, and “numerous surveys have found significant partisan divides in public opinion about the severity of the coronavirus threat,” the researchers point out.

Their research showed that states with Republican governors and more Trump voters introduced social distancing policies 2.7 days later than more liberal states. “Does a 2.7 day delay matter?” the researchers write, concluding: “Given the quick doubling time of COVID-19, these delays have the potential to cause a dramatic increase in the peak volume of cases.”

Addie

Post by Addie »

CNN: Trump's path to extending coronavirus guidelines was led by health experts and the scenes at one New York hospital
ABC News: Coronavirus live updates: FDA gives anti-malaria drugs emergency approval to treat COVID-19
Adding:
Politico: Trump says he’ll ‘rely on’ public health experts on social distancing decisions

A day after extending federal coronavirus guidelines, the president showed more deference toward his top health officials than he has in recent weeks.

Addie

Post by Addie »

American Independent: Trump's inner circle was tested for coronavirus even as he advised public against it

kate520

Post by kate520 »

I’m with bob in thinking it’s a good think for our most important office holders to be tested. I just, you know, REALLY HATE BEING LIED TO BY EPISODIC MAN ABOUT EVERY FUCKING THING. EVERY FUCKING THING.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Addie

Post by Addie »

New York Times - Peter Baker and Maggie Haberman
Behind Trump’s Reversal on Reopening the Country: 2 Sets of Numbers

An estimate of the number of possible deaths and polling that showed a cautious public changed, for now, the president’s approach to the coronavirus pandemic.

WASHINGTON — The numbers the health officials showed President Trump were overwhelming. With the peak of the coronavirus pandemic still weeks away, he was told, hundreds of thousands of Americans could face death if the country reopened too soon.

But there was another set of numbers that also helped persuade Mr. Trump to shift gears on Sunday and abandon his goal of restoring normal life by Easter. Political advisers described for him polling that showed that voters overwhelmingly preferred to keep containment measures in place over sending people back to work prematurely.

Those two realities — the dire threat to the country and the caution of the American public — proved decisive at a critical juncture in the response to the pandemic, his advisers said. The first of those two realities, the deadly arc of the virus, has been known for weeks even if disregarded by the president when he set his Easter target. But the second of the two upended Mr. Trump’s assumptions about the politics of the situation and restrained, for a moment at least, his eagerness to get back to business as usual.

The president’s reversal may prove to be an important pivot point in the effort to curb the pandemic, one that in the view of public health officials averted a greater catastrophe. Mr. Trump’s abrupt change of heart reflected a volatile president who has veered from one message to another, at points equating the virus to ordinary flu that will “miraculously” go away and at others declaring it an all-out war endangering the country.
Adding:
WaPo - Greg Sargent: ‘No national response’: One senator’s alarming account of the first days ...

Murphy said the strong impression administration officials left was that they “just didn’t think that it was ultimately the federal government’s responsibility to solve the problem.”

“I wouldn’t say they were trying to whitewash the problem,” Murphy continued. “I think they felt like they needed to check the box and communicate to Congress that they were working on the problem. But they didn’t seem to have any handle on how big it was.”

Troublingly, Murphy added that there were regular briefings (around half a dozen) from administration officials to senators and committees during the early weeks, but “their alarm never was consistent with what many of us believed to be the size of the threat.”

Addie

Post by Addie »

AFP: Obama suggests Trump team 'denied warnings' of pandemic

Washington (AFP) - Former US president Barack Obama took a veiled swipe Tuesday at his successor Donald Trump, chastising those who have "denied warnings" of a deadly coronavirus pandemic and cautioning against ignoring the consequences of climate change.

The popular two-term Democrat took to social media as the Trump administration finalized a controversial rollback of Obama-era vehicle fuel economy and greenhouse gas emissions standards that were aimed at slowing global warming.

"We've seen all too terribly the consequences of those who denied warnings of a pandemic," Obama posted on Twitter.

"We can't afford any more consequences of climate denial. All of us, especially young people, have to demand better of our government at every level and vote this fall."

Addie

Post by Addie »

New York Times
White House Economists Warned in 2019 a Pandemic Could Devastate America

A study published last fall went unheeded. Its lead author now says economic shutdowns to fight the coronavirus could last up to eight months.

WASHINGTON — White House economists published a study last September that warned a pandemic disease could kill a half million Americans and devastate the economy.

It went unheeded inside the administration.

In late February and early March, as the coronavirus pandemic began to spread from China to the rest of the world, President Trump’s top economic advisers played down the threat the virus posed to the U.S. economy and public health.

“I don’t think corona is as big a threat as people make it out to be,” the acting chairman of the Council of Economic Advisers, Tomas Philipson, told reporters during a Feb. 18 briefing, on the same day that more than a dozen American cruise ship passengers who had contracted the virus were evacuated home. Public health threats did not typically hurt the economy, Mr. Philipson said. He suggested the virus would not be nearly as bad as a normal flu season.

The 2019 study warned otherwise — specifically urging Americans not to conflate the risks of a typical flu and a pandemic. The existence of that warning undermines administration officials’ contentions in recent weeks that no one could have seen the virus damaging the economy as it has.

Addie

Post by Addie »

Politico: Trump rejects Obamacare special enrollment period amid pandemic

President Donald Trump and administration officials recently said they were considering relaunching HealthCare.gov.

The Trump administration has decided against reopening Obamacare enrollment to uninsured Americans during the coronavirus pandemic, defying calls from health insurers and Democrats to create a special sign-up window amid the health crisis.

President Donald Trump and administration officials recently said they were considering relaunching HealthCare.gov, the federal enrollment site, and insurers said they privately received assurances from health officials overseeing the law's marketplace. However, a White House official on Tuesday evening told POLITICO the administration will not reopen the site for a special enrollment period, and that the administration is "exploring other options."

The annual enrollment period for HealthCare.gov closed months ago, and a special enrollment period for the coronavirus could have extended the opportunity for millions of uninsured Americans to newly seek out coverage. Still, the law already allows a special enrollment for people who have lost their workplace health plans, so the health care law may still serve as a safety net after a record surge in unemployment stemming from the pandemic.

Numerous Democratic-leaning states that run their own insurance markets have already reopened enrollment in recent weeks as the coronavirus threat grew. The Trump administration oversees enrollment for about two-thirds of states.

Addie

Post by Addie »

Political Wire
Trump Ended Pandemic Early-Warning Program

Los Angeles Times: “Two months before the novel coronavirus is thought to have begun its deadly advance in Wuhan, China, the Trump administration ended a $200-million pandemic early-warning program aimed at training scientists in China and other countries to detect and respond to such a threat.”

Return to “Coronavirus”