On a Personal Level--Coronavirus COVID-19 Cancellations, etc.

MN-Skeptic

Re: On a Personal Level--Coronavirus COVID-19 Cancellations, etc.

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Eggs have been difficult to find here. How will children dye eggs for Easter?
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Princess foofypants wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:12 pm
Lani wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:33 pm
Ya know what else is being hoarded? Zinc. I had no idea until I buy it it. Amazon is backlogged. Other than a handful of very low dose zinc and multi-mineral combos, it's unavailable until late April or longer. Even the ones that might be available later in April will not reach the buyers until mid May according to Amazon.

Zinc boosts the immune system, so I guess that's why it's now hard to find. (By the way, NIH, Mayo Clinic, etc., report that. So not woo, but definitely not a miracle drug.)

I found my usual $8.50 Advanced Cerovite vitamin/mineral supplement (including zinc) just in time. Only 30 left. :shock: On seller is selling it for $27 plus $20 shipping. :shock:
Yeast is being hoarded too. Difficult for an actual baker.
Time to start your own sourdough bred baking. Takes seven to ten days for the homemade yeast starter to kickstart in the fresh air. Yeah - bacteria - no viruses get killed in the process :twisted: ;)

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

TexasFilly wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:13 pm
No flour in stores either.
Time to start poor mans bread baking by using dried potatoe.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

RTH10260 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:58 pm

Time to start your own sourdough bred baking. Takes seven to ten days for the homemade yeast starter to kickstart in the fresh air. Yeah - bacteria - no viruses get killed in the process :twisted: ;)
... fungus ...
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Maybenaut wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:04 pm
RTH10260 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:58 pm

... fungus ...
:bag:

just don't get a mixup with the psychodelic ones you keep in your kitchen :lol:

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl »

My mom called today wondering if my two remaining sibs and I could set up a Zoom Passover Seder. This was one of the sadder moments of my life. My mom is 100+ years old, living completely isolated, locked down in her senior apartment. Her children all live 2000 miles away.

:cry:

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Shizzle Popped wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:45 pm
When my wife is bored she has a tendency to knit teddy bears. She's finally starting to feel a little bit better and was bored today. This was the result.

COVID Bear.jpg
:thumbs:

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

NMgirl wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:38 am
My mom called today wondering if my two remaining sibs and I could set up a Zoom Passover Seder. This was one of the sadder moments of my life. My mom is 100+ years old, living completely isolated, locked down in her senior apartment. Her children all live 2000 miles away.

:cry:
:bighug:

That reminds me. I need to call my two uncles. They're both in their 90's and are the last of that generation in the family.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

No idea what people are hoarding as I haven’t been in a grocery store for a month. But we did get an Instacart order from Shaw’s.

Interesting experience. The shopper texted as he was shopping to offer substations. Almost everything on the list was either available or a close substitute was. He did send us a cabbage instead of a head of lettuce (receipt said lettuce), and Tricksy’s preferred food wasn’t available. Also one brand of chocolate chip cookie mix was out, and he subbed the same brand of double chocolate chip cookie mix (not the same). No pomegranates or pomegranate seeds to be found anywhere.

W2 had been grousing for 10 days how expensive Instacart was, and that this was a smaller order than he normally gets because “he knows what things cost.” The avocados, for example, were twice what he buys. Milk was twice, etc. Turns out he has no concept of weight. The avocados were also twice as big, and the milk was half gallons instead of quarts. It took 3 trips in the elevator to bring it all inside. Now he thinks it’s a bargain.

Flour? Pasta? No idea, I don’t bake and we have plenty of pasta.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Pasta and flour are in short supply in Portland OR as well.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

The only pasta I could find was spaghetti. It'll have to do. We're one of the families using carbs to fill out a meal. Where I would usually cook two chicken breasts and have a light side, it's now pasta and sauce mixed with one cut-up chicken breast, homemade Chicken Helper.
ImageImageImage x4

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

The dollar stores are a great place to find pasta and rice, and usually tp and cleaning supplies. People are buying everything at the grocery so they only have to make one order or one trip to one store. Family Dollar and Dollar General shoppers have been filling out their meals with carbs forever.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

IMHO pasta can be homemade in the spaghetti and noudle varieties. IFF the ingredients like wheet flour and possibly eggs can be found. While preparing the dough is easy, cutting and grooming (straight or birdsnests, ravioli) of the pasta can easily fill your free time at home. Well dried plain pasta can be easily stored if made in larger quantity, ravioli, dumplings, dim sum filled critters are candidates for the deep freezer. Keep lasagne in your mind too.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

Now that you mention it, this would be a great time for me to dig out nana's egg noodle recipe. I think it said mix some flour with a little salt and some milk, roll it out, cut them, then let it dry all day. She knew everything by sight and never had to measure. And she was the best cook that ever lived.
ImageImageImage x4

JohnPCapitalist
Occupation: Investment management in the financial industry. Deep knowledge of stocks, tech and economics.

Post by JohnPCapitalist »

RTH10260 wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:36 am
IMHO pasta can be homemade in the spaghetti and noudle varieties. IFF the ingredients like wheet flour and possibly eggs can be found. While preparing the dough is easy, cutting and grooming (straight or birdsnests, ravioli) of the pasta can easily fill your free time at home. Well dried plain pasta can be easily stored if made in larger quantity, ravioli, dumplings, dim sum filled critters are candidates for the deep freezer. Keep lasagne in your mind too.
As I said recently in a comment on a different thread, lasagna is a PITA to make, but oh-so-good. I was considering making another mega-batch of lasgana (6 trays) for Easter like I did for Christmas 2019, but we decided against it. There are lots of easier ways to prepare yummy carbs when things are stressful. This post includes a link to my lasagna recipe: http://www.thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopi ... 5#p1164605

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I went up to Target first thing this morning and - lo and behold! - they had the toilet paper I prefer. Of course, it was a 30-count package of mega rolls which means that I won't have to buy any more TP until fall. :shock: Target also had eggs, so I picked up a carton.

I also went down to Costco, mostly to browse. I did notice that they had plenty of rubbing alcohol. Fortunately I already have plenty of that.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I hadn't been paying attention when the Target person rang up the carton of 12 eggs. I just looked at the receipt - 49¢! :shock:

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

JohnPCapitalist wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:04 am
RTH10260 wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:36 am
As I said recently in a comment on a different thread, lasagna is a PITA to make, but oh-so-good. I was considering making another mega-batch of lasgana (6 trays) for Easter like I did for Christmas 2019, but we decided against it. There are lots of easier ways to prepare yummy carbs when things are stressful. This post includes a link to my lasagna recipe: http://www.thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopi ... 5#p1164605
I looked at the lasagna recipe at the link. It's not very different from the one I've made for forty years. I also had thought briefly of making it for the holiday, but decided all the work and all the gathering of the ingredients was just not worth the effort right now. Because it's so much work, I always made two large pans of it, but six trays! Wow!
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Sugar, Wow, that is just so terrible :bighug: :bighug: :brokenheart:

Shizzle Popped, your wife's teddy bear is too cute for words. I love it. :lovestruck:
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:37 am
I hadn't been paying attention when the Target person rang up the carton of 12 eggs. I just looked at the receipt - 49¢! :shock:
:shock:

You'll have to go back to the store, walking uphill 3 miles in a snowstorm, find the cashier, explain the mistake and make good the difference.

And then walk home, another 3 miles uphill in a snowstorm.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:12 pm
MN-Skeptic wrote:
:shock:

You'll have to go back to the store, walking uphill 3 miles in a snowstorm, find the cashier, explain the mistake and make good the difference.

And then walk home, another 3 miles uphill in a snowstorm.
:lol:

You've been looking at the Twin Cities' forecast for Sunday, haven't you?

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

At least uphill in Minnesota ain't bad.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Up near the Arctic Circle where we live half the year, that is the normal price. Always sticker shock when we get back here.
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:22 am
The dollar stores are a great place to find pasta and rice, and usually tp and cleaning supplies. People are buying everything at the grocery so they only have to make one order or one trip to one store. Family Dollar and Dollar General shoppers have been filling out their meals with carbs forever.
I’ll buy paper, plastic, or cloth products at the dollar store. But nothing I plan to put in or on my body.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Maybenaut wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:46 pm
I’ll buy paper, plastic, or cloth products at the dollar store. But nothing I plan to put in or on my body.
Our local Dollar Tree carries many of the same products as the grocery stores, but sells them for a buck instead of more. Granted, they are the small to medium pack factor, but sold at a lower price than the exact same size in a regular grocery. Crest toothpaste, Suave shampoo, Spic and Span cleanser, Jimmy Dean sausage, Campbell's soup (family size), Carnation coffee creamer, Motts apple sauce, Betty Crocker mixes, etc etc. When the food bank has a drive, it's the place to go for many of the items on their list.

I learned quickly not to trust their twelve pack of no name AAA batteries, but their two pack of Super Glue is the same Super Glue you get everywhere else.

Return to “Coronavirus”