On a Personal Level--Coronavirus COVID-19 Cancellations, etc.

Chilidog

Re: On a Personal Level--Coronavirus COVID-19 Cancellations, etc.

Post by Chilidog »

We were planning on having a family get together to celebrate my uncles 90th birthday.

About two weeks go, he decided he really wasn't up to making the trip by car from St Louis to Chicago, so he begged off.

I told my sister at that time that it probably wasn't a hood idea to take a 90 yo man to a buffet restaurant. This was when it was first hitting the US.

She laughed and said "ha ha, I didn't think about it"

I got a text the other day, my sisters are still trying to get everyone together without him.

:brickwallsmall:

Bless her heart, but I suspect that things are going to get worse before they get better.

On a side note, another uncle and I were talking via email not to long ago. We are both into family history. My family, on both my mother’s and father’s side were deeply affected by the Spanish flu pandemic, with several deaths.

I’m pessimistic.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Just had my first airbnb cancellation-- a couple coming in from Spain a the end of the month can no longer fly due to the travel ban.

I've been expecting this--indeed, friends who run a number of airbnb teepees in NY have seen bookings evaporate--but the fact that this comes as a result of this idiot travel ban--along with the "foreign virus" crap grates my cheese. The monster tries to use xenophobia to make political hay a from a fucking virus.

I depend on the bucks airbnb brings in. I'm gonna have a rough year.
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Driving around Portland yesterday was pretty easy. Wow. It was almost an express elevator ride into work, and the drive home was like early Saturday morning traffic. Except, it was Wednesday evening at 5:30 on 205 south, and we're doing sixty past the airport. Unheard of. Normally, it's a crawl for miles. None of the slow spots anywhere along 205 all the way to I5. We only slowed down to forty approaching the Boone Bridge, and then it was full steam ahead. I could honestly get used to this, but I know what's happening, and it's a bit dismaying.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford »

So my wife's out here visiting in the UK. She's scheduled to fly home tomorrow morning. My original plan was to spend the next month in the library, fly back late April, and write from home all summer. This would have let me find a new tenant for my dorm room and make back a bit of money. Instead, I'll be flying back early- to mid-week next week, as soon as I can get things squared away. And hopefully before the dumbass in chief tries anything dumber. I'll come back for a month or so when things settle down, hopefully by June-July, and do the library work then. (Can at least juggle a bit so that I've got things to do the next two-three months. So between the extra trip and not being able to rent out the room, I'll probably be out about $5k over this thing.
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Heh.

Looks like COVID-19 is actually going to make my schedule busier. My mother is running a small convention next weekend, and now she needs more help due to lack of volunteers so I've been roped in. She, and her vendors, do not seem deterred.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

neeneko wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:33 am
Heh.

Looks like COVID-19 is actually going to make my schedule busier. My mother is running a small convention next weekend, and now she needs more help due to lack of volunteers so I've been roped in. She, and her vendors, do not seem deterred.
Assuming the government doesn't step in and take the decision to cancel away from her.

jmj

Post by jmj »

neeneko wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:33 am
Heh.

Have you read that medium.com article that's been posted in the other forum thread at least 3 times? It makes a really great case that we should cancel all non-essential social interactions RIGHT NOW. Your mother should read the article too.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Hubby and The Kid returned from Colorado the same day Colorado declared an emergency over COVID-19. Hubby's employer asked him to stay home. (Small business but works nationwide.) The Kid works at Lowe's as does his significant other. They haven't missed any work but her trip to upstate New York was cancelled since so many of the activities planned were cancelled.

First confirmed case in Arkansas was announced yesterday. It is in Pine Bluff which is 45 miles southeast of Little Rock which is in the center of Arkansas.

No symptoms from anyone we know. My granddaughters are visiting for their spring break. We had an early birthday party for the oldest. The guests were great aunts and uncles and cousins (all 67-70). No one cancelled even after I notified them about the Colorado trip.
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.
- https://legaldictionary.net/19th-amendment/

voxpopuluxe

Post by voxpopuluxe »

Chilidog wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:40 am
My family, on both my mother’s and father’s side were deeply affected by the Spanish flu pandemic, with several deaths.
my grandfather was a medic/ambulance driver at camp taylor, louisville ky, in 1918. i have a picture of him standing next to his ambulance
The camp was enormous, encompassing 1,530 buildings sprawled across 3,376 acres and accommodating over 45,000 enlistees and officers. At the time, it was the largest World War I Army training camp in North America. On September 24, local Louisville newspapers reported over one hundred soldiers at the camp were ill with influenza. Just a day later, that number had more than doubled to 262. By the end of the month, the camp hospital was caring for more than 2,100 cases of influenza. The hospital was so overcrowded that 15 barracks of the “C” Section – a section of camp located east of the Lincoln Avenue overpass – had to be converted to temporary hospital wards.

https://www.influenzaarchive.org/cities ... ville.html#
miraculously he never fell ill and lived in to his 80s
“It was the worst of times, it was the worst of times.”
—Ali Smith, Autumn

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

Hopefully, you inherited his supergenes. Some people have a natural resistance, most need help, via vaccine.
ImageImageImage x4

neeneko

Post by neeneko »

jmj wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:43 am
Have you read that medium.com article that's been posted in the other forum thread at least 3 times? It makes a really great case that we should cancel all non-essential social interactions RIGHT NOW. Your mother should read the article too.
So far attempts to get her to cancel the event have been fruitless.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

neeneko wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:36 am
jmj wrote:
As attempts to get you to refuse to assist her apparently are.

neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:37 am
As attempts to get you to refuse to assist her apparently are.
Eh, if you can't convince stubborn kin to not do something stupid, sometimes the best you can do is try to help not make things worse.

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

neeneko wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:36 am
jmj wrote:
The reward is worth the risk? :think: Will the attendees even show up? Has she had cancellations?

Again, the reward is worth the risk? Is this about money?

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

Just had a screaming match with my idiot sister in Memphis, who has decided to come visit my parents next week. My parents are 83 and 88 years old, my dad has COPD and is on O2 24/7, and my mother is immuno-compromised because of her West Nile. I hit the roof when my mother told me my Foxwatching sister was coming because it was "convenient" for her schedule since she works at a school. She is one who thinks it's a gov't conspiracy and has no concern about it. None. One case already in Memphis, and a school is a great place to pick up the virus, but it's "convenient" for her. My mother said the idiot sister had assured her she hadn't been exposed and didn't have it, and then in the next breath my mom said if either her or my dad get it that would be the end of them. My parents also watch Fox 24/7 so the dissonance between "not exposed" and "we'll die if we get it" made no impression on her. She also thought it was stupid that we told my son, immune-compromised from his cancer, not to make his weekly visit until further notice.

OK. Rant over. It just makes me want to pound my head on the desk.

neeneko

Post by neeneko »

neonzx wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:50 am
The reward is worth the risk? :think: Will the attendees even show up? Has she had cancellations?

Again, the reward is worth the risk? Is this about money?
Apparently the community still wants it, she has only had a single cancelation. There is not much money involved, running it is a volunteer gig. The people attending seem to feel it is worth the risk, and she is supporting/facilitating her community.

As for personal risk, I am constantly isolated so the chances of me being a carrier is next to nil, and if I pick it up from an attendee there are very few vectors I could potentially infect others, so I am kinda a dead end. Thus if she is going to run it one way or the other, me helping only helps.

voxpopuluxe

Post by voxpopuluxe »

Slim Cognito wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:29 am
Hopefully, you inherited his supergenes. Some people have a natural resistance, most need help, via vaccine.
none of that has ever kept me from getting flu shots, but thanks! i hope so, too!
“It was the worst of times, it was the worst of times.”
—Ali Smith, Autumn

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:09 am
Just had a screaming match with my idiot sister in Memphis, who has decided to come visit my parents next week. My parents are 83 and 88 years old, my dad has COPD and is on O2 24/7, and my mother is immuno-compromised because of her West Nile. I hit the roof when my mother told me my Foxwatching sister was coming because it was "convenient" for her schedule since she works at a school. She is one who thinks it's a gov't conspiracy and has no concern about it. None. One case already in Memphis, and a school is a great place to pick up the virus, but it's "convenient" for her. My mother said the idiot sister had assured her she hadn't been exposed and didn't have it, and then in the next breath my mom said if either her or my dad get it that would be the end of them. My parents also watch Fox 24/7 so the dissonance between "not exposed" and "we'll die if we get it" made no impression on her. She also thought it was stupid that we told my son, immune-compromised from his cancer, not to make his weekly visit until further notice.

They're adults. Sometimes you can love your relatives but you have to let them do what they want. If they watch Fox "News" either nothing will happen -- and you will have been "wrong" -- or they will get ill. If they get ill, they'll probably blame it on Hunter Biden. At this point it's a lose-lose and you need to keep out of it. (Just don't go visit at the same time.)

So calm down and when the clock strikes 6 pm tonight have a mint julep.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:34 am
Sugar Magnolia wrote:

They're adults. Sometimes you can love your relatives but you have to let them do what they want. If they watch Fox "News" either nothing will happen -- and you will have been "wrong" -- or they will get ill. If they get ill, they'll probably blame it on Hunter Biden. At this point it's a lose-lose and you need to keep out of it. (Just don't go visit at the same time.)

So calm down and when the clock strikes 6 pm tonight have a mint julep.
Thanks. My dad just called and thanked me for getting shitty enough with my mom to make her realize it was a stupid plan, and they've told the idiot sister to stay home until further notice.

Can it be a Bloody Mary instead? My mint has all drowned and I'm not a huge fan of bourbon.

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 »

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:49 am
Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:34 am
Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Just had a screaming match with my idiot sister in Memphis, who has decided to come visit my parents next week. My parents are 83 and 88 years old, my :snippity:

:snippity:
Thanks. My dad just called and thanked me for getting shitty enough with my mom to make her realize it was a stupid plan, and they've told the idiot sister to stay home until further notice.

Can it be a Bloody Mary instead? My mint has all drowned and I'm not a huge fan of bourbon.
Good.

I was going to suggest removing the ECU's from their cars.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

Sugar, a Bloody Mary is fine. I was just thinking of something sweeter for you. And you can get an little umbrella with either.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Two of the colleges closest to Augustana in Rock Island have closed.

I'm just waiting for the text from him to drive out and pick him up.

His spring break starts in a week, anyway, so this might not be too disruptive. (Yeah, right! :liar:)

At least gas is under $2/gal

jemcanada

Post by jemcanada »

Sugar, a bloody mary is fine and help yourself to one of the treats you offer to new members. ;)

There aren’t any cases of Covid19 in my region yet. There have been several cases closer to Toronto. The university library that I work in has temporarily stopped lending any items other than books. We usually sign out whiteboard markers, games, sports equipment, cables, mice, headphones, etc. As of today. The university is having training sessions in the next week or so for resources we can use to work from home. That’s just in case, but I know lots of universities that have cancelled on campus classes.

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

I've been planning a trip to see my dad, but that's out now. By next week his senior living center won't be allowing family.

If I'm going to get it, it will be from one of two things:

1) My two sons who are both living at home and attending college during the day. But tomorrow is the last day before spring break, and we expect the college will convert to online-only after that. So that may not be a serious risk.

2) My health club (actually, I visit 3 different locations in the course of a week). I will be washing my hands the minute I arrive in the men's room, and taking a full shower before leaving the club. I will be using the spray sanitizer on my barbell before class begins, and my personal exercise mat will be delivered later today, so I won't use the public ones anymore. I'll use clean towels for handling the bench and risers for it. And I will stay 6' away from the other Earthlings, to the extent possible.

Of course, the club will probably close down regardless. And it is metaphysically absurd to think that I might contract some loathsome disease at a health club, when the only reason I go there is to get more healthy. :think:

In any event, I AM healthy, and even though I'm in the wrong age group I plan to survive this virus even if I do catch it.

Prove me wrong. :nope:
For more information, read it again. || When science is outlawed, only outlaws will have science.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Mrs. V. and I will skip the Houston Symphony concert this Sunday. It might not happen if the city, county or state restricts crowd sizes.

As I was typing the above I got a call from the local constable's office. With Covid-19 in mind they are starting an "Are you OK?" program where they will call senior citizens once a week to check on their status. We signed up for it. It couldn't hurt.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Return to “Coronavirus”