On a Personal Level--Coronavirus COVID-19 Cancellations, etc.

Lani

Re: On a Personal Level--Coronavirus COVID-19 Cancellations, etc.

Post by Lani »

Shizzle Popped wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:50 pm I went to the DMV office in a nearby town to see if I could get the registration and title application for my car taken care of this morning. I got there about 10 minutes after they opened and there were 15 people lined up outside spaced maybe 3 feet apart and half of them had their masks pulled down off their faces. I just turned around and headed back home. I was hoping it wouldn't be too bad if I went early on a Saturday but I guess not. I'll try again one day next week.
:snippity:
That might explain this:
Screenshot_2020-07-25 Indiana Coronavirus 61,520 Cases and 2,895 Deaths (COVID-19 ) - Worldometer.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Sugar Magnolia wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:49 pm This is the one that all the nurses around here swear by.
Thanks! That looks like it makes a lot of sense. Besides stopping the moisture escaping over the top of your mask, it would reduce germs from escaping too, so a double win. I'm definitely going to try it out!

Joe Biden: "Wearing masks is not a political statement. It's a scientific imperative."

It’s the pandemic, stupid!
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Ye Olde Photographer antifog trick: Spit on your lenses, and lightly smear that around with your fingers. Dab excess off with tissue. Let dry. In practice, glasses can worn immediately to dry on your face.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:24 pm
Sugar Magnolia wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:49 pm This is the one that all the nurses around here swear by.
Thanks! That looks like it makes a lot of sense. Besides stopping the moisture escaping over the top of your mask, it would reduce germs from escaping too, so a double win. I'm definitely going to try it out!

:yeah:

No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage
Slim Cognito
Location: Home to gators, pythons and now trump. trump is the only one that scares me.

Post by Slim Cognito »

I am folding tissue as we speak. I'll put some pre-folded tissues in my purse and some in my mask stash in the glovebox. Thanks!!!!

ImageImageImage x4
Slim Cognito
Location: Home to gators, pythons and now trump. trump is the only one that scares me.

Post by Slim Cognito »

The folded tissue works like a charm.

I broke down and cut off eight inches off my hair today. I needed a haircut before all this started and it grows like a weed. I couldn't take it anymore.

How does it look? Who knows? I've kept it in a ponytail ever since we shut down. It keeps me from always brushing it out of my face. Now the ponytail is two lbs lighter (or so it would seem).

Honestly, it's not bad. Just pulled it into two pigtails and cut it until it looked even. Hubs will trim the back tonight. I'd rather have layers but I can add those if I ever get to the barbershop. But, at the rate things are going in FL, she'll probably have to cut the same eight inches off again.

ImageImageImage x4
Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

Slim Cognito wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:05 pm The folded tissue works like a charm.

I broke down and cut off eight inches off my hair today. I needed a haircut before all this started and it grows like a weed. I couldn't take it anymore.

How does it look? Who knows? I've kept it in a ponytail ever since we shut down. It keeps me from always brushing it out of my face. Now the ponytail is two lbs lighter (or so it would seem).

Honestly, it's not bad. Just pulled it into two pigtails and cut it until it looked even. Hubs will trim the back tonight. I'd rather have layers but I can add those if I ever get to the barbershop. But, at the rate things are going in FL, she'll probably have to cut the same eight inches off again.
Glad the tissue worked.

n Jr High school we cut our own hair and made perfect layers. Turn your head upside down and pull your hair into a ponytail at the very top of your head then trim it straight across. My friend Jayne Ebentier taught us that trick and we used it for years. We called it the Yankee haircut because she moved here from someplace up there.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

Sugar Magnolia wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:26 pm
Slim Cognito wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:05 pm

In Jr High school we cut our own hair and made perfect layers. Turn your head upside down and pull your hair into a ponytail at the very top of your head then trim it straight across. My friend Jayne Ebentier taught us that trick and we used it for years. We called it the Yankee haircut because she moved here from someplace up there.
When I was looking at YouTube videos a few months ago when getting desperate for a cut, this was exactly what I saw that looked like it would work best. When I told my hair stylist this when I finally was able to get an appointment, she said that this does work well.

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine
Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

Sugar Magnolia wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:26 pm ...

In Jr High school we cut our own hair and made perfect layers. Turn your head upside down and pull your hair into a ponytail at the very top of your head then trim it straight across. My friend Jayne Ebentier taught us that trick and we used it for years. We called it the Yankee haircut because she moved here from someplace up there.
Holy smokes, Batman, I look fabulous!

I may never pay for a haircut again.

Before grabbing the scissors and cutting it up to my shoulders, I half jokingly told Hubs I wanted a Flowbee. I guess it's the same idea.

ImageImageImage x4
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Slim Cognito wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:26 pm

Before grabbing the scissors and cutting it up to my shoulders, I half jokingly told Hubs I wanted a Flowbee. I guess it's the same idea.
I definitely recall the Flowbee commercials from the late 70s/early 80s. No, nobody I know ever actual owned one, but the commercials made us giggle uncontrollably. ( may have been the beer or the weed contributiing) Does it really work as advertised? Like I said, I've never known anyone who owned one. -- or at least, admitted to owning one.

(for the benefit of our younger and/or non-USA members):

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

Slim Cognito wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:26 pm

My only caveat is to do it for 3 days in a row to get the stragglers. There's always that one little strand you miss the first time that can drive you crazy.

Grumpy Old Guy

Post by Grumpy Old Guy »

You can buy Flowbee kits (and imitators) on e-bay.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse, and 4 granddogs and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Bill_G wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:18 am
Lani wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:20 am
I don't have any known allergies, other than the vog (volcanic pollution) and mold when we have a long rainy season. Benadryl works great! But I can't take that while working and driving.

I'm curious if this is a common problem for people, and also if anyone can recommend an effective non-drowsy allergy medicine. :prettyplease:
Been there, done that, wore the tee shirt out. If you can take Tylenol, try Tylenol PM. It has Benadryl mixed in as a sleep agent. Take one PM and one regular. The anti-inflammatories help the Benadryl get the job done. Get the gel caps for faster action. You can also get super fast action with Benadryl lotion. Apply it to your arms or legs. It gets absorbed through your skin. You can counter the sleepiness with a good Italian roast for the caffeine, a walk around the block to increase circulation, and/or a good leafy green salad with a simple garlic and olive oil dressing to get a B vitamin rush.
I take children's benadryl which is 12 mg rather than 25 mg. I can still function and drive. Also, it's chewable and grape flavored. Yum!

"Why Iron-man and why not Fe-male? This joke is not for everyone." - Monde Mobsinner Bakaqana to The Science Nerds on Twitter.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:31 am
I take children's benadryl which is 12 mg rather than 25 mg. I can still function and drive. Also, it's chewable and grape flavored. Yum!
Meclizine, aka motion sickness and morning sickness tablets, is another small dose OTC that helps. Melt them under your tongue for the fastest effect.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse, and 4 granddogs and one grandcat.

Bill_G wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:02 am
Meclizine, aka motion sickness and morning sickness tablets, is another small dose OTC that helps. Melt them under your tongue for the fastest effect.
Thanks! That's not the corporate pharmacy version of mescaline is it?

"Why Iron-man and why not Fe-male? This joke is not for everyone." - Monde Mobsinner Bakaqana to The Science Nerds on Twitter.
ArthurWankspittle

Post by ArthurWankspittle »

No ladies taking the opportunity of going all "Duchess Elizabeth of Bavaria" and growing your hair?

Trump appoints Incitatus to lead corona virus response.
#KingDonaldsPlague
Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

The upside-down ponytail thing worked like a charm for me. A couple of extra snips here and there and...voila! Eight inches shorter and a whole lot lighter. My hair is still pretty thick and it gets really heavy when it's long, even considering it was falling out by the handfuls when I combed it, and that's using a wide-tooth comb. This morning, barely a strand was lost when combed. And the waves are back. I'm thrilled.
Sekrit Stuffs!
haircut.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ImageImageImage x4
AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

Wow! You saved $75!

:dance:

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine
Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

ArthurWankspittle wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:12 pm No ladies taking the opportunity of going all "Duchess Elizabeth of Bavaria" and growing your hair?
Wipediad her. Fascinating.

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)
Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

We got our results back from the Red Cross. No Coronavirus antibodies, sadly. :crying: Back to the isolation booth.

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)
AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

The way things are, I'm not sure you can't get it again, anyway, so for all intents and purposes, maybe there's not much difference, but I can understand the disappointment.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:11 am
Bill_G wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:02 am
Thanks! That's not the corporate pharmacy version of mescaline is it?
Not that I'm aware of. It's been around for a long time. It's another antihistamine that happens to also help with nausea and vertigo. Some people with migraines respond well. It's a little cog that seems to fit a lot of gears. And it's cheap depending on which version you buy. You pay top dollar for six name brand travel sickness tablets, or you can get a bottle of fifty house brand morning sickness pills.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Slim Cognito wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:39 pm The upside-down ponytail thing worked like a charm for me. A couple of extra snips here and there and...voila! Eight inches shorter and a whole lot lighter. My hair is still pretty thick and it gets really heavy when it's long, even considering it was falling out by the handfuls when I combed it, and that's using a wide-tooth comb. This morning, barely a strand was lost when combed. And the waves are back. I'm thrilled.
Sekrit Stuffs!
haircut.jpg
Looks great!

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Slim, yours looks so good I just now did it myself. Not too bad, actually. :dance:

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage
jmj

Post by jmj »

Minneapolis just closed all indoor bars (which were supposed to be only operating at 25% capacity IIRC). Good. Hopefully that slows the increase we're seeing.

Return to “Coronavirus”