On a Personal Level--Coronavirus COVID-19 Cancellations, etc.

Sugar Magnolia

Re: On a Personal Level--Coronavirus COVID-19 Cancellations, etc.

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

My husband has been out of the house maybe 6 times in the last 3 months. He wears a mask when he does, but honestly, he doesn't go out enough for it to be habit, or even at the top of his mind, yet. We had pizza delivered for the first time last night and I had to remind him not to meet the guy at the door because it is contactless delivery. Last time a stranger showed up to pick something up my husband met him at the door and shook hands with him. I'm the one who gets out if we need something so I'm used to using the mask and it's second nature to me by now but I give my husband some slack for not always remembering the "new normal" rules without a little prompting.

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy »

Sugar Magnolia wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:36 am My husband has been out of the house maybe 6 times in the last 3 months. He wears a mask when he does
:snippity:
Mine wears a mask and gloves when we go out so I don’t know what the hell he was thinking yesterday. We only go to the grocery & hardware store when necessary. He’s just a walking brain fart about “contact” issues. We went on a medical mission once aboard the Phelophepa Train in South Africa 1990 something and landed in a town with a huge outbreak of Cholera and HIV and I’m surprised he survived that one at all! :doh:

Birfers are toast
HeatherGray

Post by HeatherGray »

Sugar Magnolia wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:36 am My husband has been out of the house maybe 6 times in the last 3 months. He wears a mask when he does, but honestly, he doesn't go out enough for it to be habit, or even at the top of his mind, yet. We had pizza delivered for the first time last night and I had to remind him not to meet the guy at the door because it is contactless delivery. Last time a stranger showed up to pick something up my husband met him at the door and shook hands with him. I'm the one who gets out if we need something so I'm used to using the mask and it's second nature to me by now but I give my husband some slack for not always remembering the "new normal" rules without a little prompting.
I'm seeing this with my DH as well. I am doing most of the shopping and I am super aware of where people are around me these days. We had a neighbor ring our doorbell a few days ago to report a (potential) problem and I could see my DH just being drawn to the old, socially preferred distance from the guy. Part of it, I think, is that DH has a hearing loss that makes it harder for him to hear quiet voices so he wants to get closer. He does wear a mask when he does go out in public.

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

I'm pretty sure I'm somebody's husband ... oh yeah, ol' Wifehorn!

But my Fogbow ladies have trained me very well. I never leave home without a mask, and I wash my hands thoroughly when I get home again. I stay 6' away from everybody.

Now, on May 30 my swimming pool is going to open. As I mentioned, if the pool water is properly treated (and it will be) the CDC says the virus can't live in it. So that leaves social distancing, the beach chairs/recliners, and the bathroom. But it's a good community, we're all used to pitching in to do upkeep and maintenance and so forth, so I don't anticipate any problems with lockdown protesters or anything.

My gym actually says they're going to open on Saturday this week. I think I'll pass on that one for a while, until I see how it goes. A gym is a petri dish ...

I hope y'all are still wearing your seat belts!
Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

Why do people wear gloves? If you touch your face while wearing gloves, it's like touching your face without wearing gloves. Since the virus can't penetrate the skin on the hands, gloves don't really do anything unless one has an open cut on the hands.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

jemcanada wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 7:54 am Happy (belated) birthday, Mrs. V!

I hope you both enjoyed the pizza. :-D
We did. :-D It was almost as good as what we get in NY. Real stringy mozzarella. Chewy crust. Full 18" diameter. The restaurant is named "Brooklyn Pizza" and it lives up to that name.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Foggy

Post by Foggy »

Sterngard Friegen wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:39 am Why do people wear gloves?
I don't. I wear a mask and wash my hands when I get home. I used to worry about touching the PIN pad on the debit card machine, but I'm becoming more sanguine about it.
... gloves don't really do anything unless one has an open cut on the hands.
Oh, I've been working with wood in my garage workshop every day for weeks, so I always have little perforations in my hands, usually from splinters and such.

But before I leave the house, I cover each one with a product called New-Skin Liquid Bandage, which is a variation of super glue. It's waterproof and airtight, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't allow the virus to permeate. Much safer than a Band-Aid.

And my COVID-19 app (from Mass. General Hosp., Stanford University Med School, and a hospital in London) says that since I installed it on April 28, the percentage of people with symptoms in my county has gone from 0.7% down to 0.3%, or about 3 of every 1,000 people. But I haven't seen 1,000 people total since I went into the cocoon back in mid-March.

See how well trained the Fogbow ladies have me? I get a badge for good conduct every day! :blink:

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbs:

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine
TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Sterngard Friegen wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:39 am Why do people wear gloves? If you touch your face while wearing gloves, it's like touching your face without wearing gloves. Since the virus can't penetrate the skin on the hands, gloves don't really do anything unless one has an open cut on the hands.
I wear gloves because they are a physical barrier and remind me NEVER to touch my face. Why do people who work with patients wear gloves?

Similarly, the mask I wear doesn't protect me from infection from other people. We all know why we wear masks.

I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett
DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo »

Sterngard Friegen wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:39 am Why do people wear gloves? If you touch your face while wearing gloves, it's like touching your face without wearing gloves. Since the virus can't penetrate the skin on the hands, gloves don't really do anything unless one has an open cut on the hands.
It's the best reminder for me not to touch my face. I feel the gloves, so as soon as I lift one of my hands, I'm reminded they're on, which reminds me - DON'T TOUCH MY FACE.

But they also help me be mindful of my "safe spaces" per epidemiologist Dr. Michael Osterholm. He says: your safe spaces are your home and your vehicle. When you exit your safe spaces, put on the gloves and mask. Before you re-enter your safe spaces, remove them. So - wearing gloves when I'm out and about also means that I don't have to be endlessly wiping down my car's door handles and interior.

Also per Dr. Osterholm, I'm not highly concerned about potential contact transmission from packages. But I've always felt gas pump handles and shopping cart handles are particularly yucky with dirt as well as germs. I habitually carry disinfectant towelettes, but I prefer wearing gloves when handling stuff like that.

I've heard this bull before.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

I wear gloves when I go grocery shopping. I put them on in the car after I put on my mask. I take them off when I get back to my car and have my groceries in the back and my mask off. I open the door and put them in a disposal bag.

No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage
MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy »

p0rtia wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 12:41 pm
I wear gloves when I go grocery shopping. I put them on in the car after I put on my mask. I take them off when I get back to my car and have my groceries in the back and my mask off. I open the door and put them in a disposal bag.
:yeah: Me too

But Stern is right too, also. I had an episode on the Rescue Squad once where I'd just hooked up an IV on a patient. I sat down and just as I was about to peal the gloves off something got in my eye. My finger went straight for it and rubbed, and then I looked and saw an eyelash on my gloved finger right beside a speck of blood from the IV. Scared the hell out of me! We both were tested, and I had to retest 6 months later. There's always a chance of automatic reflexes.

Birfers are toast
Lani

Post by Lani »

Google is honoring Bruddha Iz, Isreal Kamakawiwoʻole, on what would have been his 61st birthday.

My kid's is involved in organizing Shutdown Sunday at 7pm: "Open a window, or step out on your lanai, and sing, hum, strum on your 'ukulele, or play Israel Kamakawiwo'ole's recording of Hawai'i Aloha."

Lani

Post by Lani »

Apparently, alcohol use is skyrocketing.
These Are The Most Searched Coronavirus Cocktails In Every State
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/coronavi ... mg00000067

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Lani wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 7:11 am Apparently, alcohol use is skyrocketing.
These Are The Most Searched Coronavirus Cocktails In Every State
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/coronavi ... mg00000067
Saw this meme a few weeks ago . . .

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

I'm so embarrassed. My state has been googling the Bushwacker, which is apparently some kind of a weirdo chocolate piña colada. :doh:

C'mon, North Carolininians. You can do better than this! :violin: :crying:

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Foggy wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:13 am I'm so embarrassed. My state has been googling the Bushwacker, which is apparently some kind of a weirdo chocolate piña colada. :doh:

Let 'em drink whatever, so long as they keep themselves and their big guns phallic symbols at home.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

One of Mrs. V's 2nd cousins has died from Covid-19. :(

I begin physical therapy today as part of my recovery from surgery. Decided to go to the PT facility at the big Methodist medical center here on the theory that they will take all possible measures to prevent contagion. Not sure that the storefront PTs will be as careful.

Just when we don't need anything more, one of Mrs. V's 1st cousins today was diagnosed with stage 4 esophageal cancer. He lives alone but has a sister nearby who can help him. He ticks many of the boxes for other underlying conditions so we worry about Covid-19 exposure during his chemotherapy.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

So sorry about the family.

Good luck with the PT. Hubby is supposed to start cardiac PT the week after next.

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine
Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent »

neonzx wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:21 am
Foggy wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:13 am I'm so embarrassed. My state has been googling the Bushwacker, which is apparently some kind of a weirdo chocolate piña colada. :doh:

Let 'em drink whatever, so long as they keep themselves and their big guns phallic symbols at home.
:rotflmao: :yeah: too also, sounds like a plan to me.

Volkonski good luck with the therapy, so sorry to hear about Mrs. V's 2nd cousin.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
jmj

Post by jmj »

After seeing that Minnesotans were searching for "Oliveto", I had my doubts about this list. After reading in more detail, it turns out that the headline is inaccurate. It does not list the most-searched cocktail in the state, but rather a cocktail that people in that state search for at a much higher rate than people from other states. So fear not. You may just have one Bushwacker enthusiast while other states have none.

jmj

Post by jmj »

Minneapolis now requires masks for anyone in an indoor public space: https://www.startribune.com/minneapolis ... 570664042/

Good.

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Me w/ a dear friend (from the USA) who has been on a church mission in Brasil for the past several months (since pre-coronavirus).

Me:
But those leaders are not walking with God, bro. They are walking with ego, money, and power on their minds (all sins), not for community and well being of the least among us. I think Jesus taught me some things about that. I don't think Jesus was a capitalist over a humanitarian.
Bro:
I AGREE THOUGH THEY MAY HAVE BAD INTENTIONS & they may be selfish BUT ALL THIS THAT IS HAPPENING IS GREATER THAN THE NATIONS, MONEY, etc..... these things are happening to prepare the way for the 2nd coming of OUR LORD & SAVIOR JESUS CHRIST
Me:
Unlikely this is marking the 2nd coming. We went through this same thing 100 years ago. "Spanish flu" (wasn't from Spain, actually -- mostly believed the origin was Kansas) worldwide pandemic We've done all this before, including the shutting down, including closing churches, and social distancing and masks... Over 300,000 people succumbed to it in the USA out of a population at the time of just over 100 million. The worst outbreaks and deaths were in cities that didn't follow social distancing guidelines.
fe12s.PNG
I didn't quote everything but this started because he was defending the 'reopening' and that we need to pray and trust in our leaders. He's in Brasil right now where the medical system is near collapse and he wants it reopened. And prayers will solve everything and this is all good because it's signally the 2nd coming of Jesus. :?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo »

OMG! ERRBUDDY HERE HATES CHRISTIANS!!1!
:swoon: :bag:

Image Image Image Image Image
SLQ

Post by SLQ »

But which leaders do we trust in? The CDC? Gov. Cuomo? Gov. Whitmer? Gov. Inslee? Or DOTUS and his brown-nosing governors?

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

Return to “Coronavirus”