On a Personal Level--Coronavirus COVID-19 Cancellations, etc.

Volkonski

Re: On a Personal Level--Coronavirus COVID-19 Cancellations, etc.

Post by Volkonski »

TexasFilly wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:38 am
ZekeB wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:21 am One of my Civil War pards is on a respirator in Salem, Oregon with Covid-19. He's my age. I'll see how this plays out.
Sorry to read this.
:bighug:
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Mrs. V. is back from the HEB.

She says it wasn't busy at all. Plenty of produce and eggs. No toilet paper at all. (I think drug dealers are using it as an alternative currency.) Bakery, deli and cheese shop closed. (Probably those employees are helping restocking efforts.) No hand sanitizer but did have Softsoap. No fill the bag yourself bulk items. Plenty of most meats but no corned beef. (Mrs. V. bought a cabbage anyway.) Staff were wiping the shopping carts as they brought them back inside. Plastic screens now protect the cashiers. Hand sanitizer stations throughout the store.

Except for toilet paper panic buying seems to have subsided.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Volkonski wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:55 am Except for toilet paper panic buying seems to have subsided.
Query: Is there a toilet paper futures market?
Slim Cognito
Location: Home to gators, pythons and now trump. trump is the only one that scares me.

Post by Slim Cognito »

Volkonski wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:55 am Mrs. V. is back from the HEB.

She says it wasn't busy at all. Plenty of produce and eggs. No toilet paper at all. (I think drug dealers are using it as an alternative currency.) Bakery, deli and cheese shop closed. (Probably those employees are helping restocking efforts.) No hand sanitizer but did have Softsoap. No fill the bag yourself bulk items. Plenty of most meats but no corned beef. (Mrs. V. bought a cabbage anyway.) Staff were wiping the shopping carts as they brought them back inside. Plastic screens now protect the cashiers. Hand sanitizer stations throughout the store.

From my trip to Dollar General yesterday, the young male cashier (the same fellow who almost gave the woman ahead of me a heart attack by *jokingly* telling her two meant two rolls, not two packages) told us that the hoarders had already raided the place and are hunkered down at home. So now that they have supplies again, the current shoppers are nice, reasonable people.
ImageImageImage x4
Princess foofypants

Post by Princess foofypants »

Our usual Friday night date night was a drive to one of our usual haunts to pick up dinner to go. They brought our food out to the car but we tipped as if we ate in.

Next day we picked up our groceries from the Harris Teeter drive through then drove through our local dairy drive through for milk and ice cream. Later Schwans dropped off frozen ready made meals. Shopping has always been something I excel at.

On a sad note, a nursing home the next county over just announced 66 cases of covid 19. And they only have 104 beds. Horrible.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Volkonski wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:55 am Mrs. V. is back from the HEB.

Now everyone has a full and overflowing pantry and toilets, in about ten days folks will again be out to replenish their stash.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

On a more serious note, with a look how Wuhan and China made it thru the initial epidemie:

The commie driven government with police and military in tow used their powers for a complete quarantine. Nobody leaves their appartment! One person per family gets once a week the opportunity to go and purchase food (I guess at designated locations).

After 4 weeks China has been able to losen the restrictions and is slowly kickstarting some businesses.

My conclusion:

Even when it will be difficult in a western nation to enforce Chinese-style restrictions, I predict there will be a future 4 week enhanced lockdown. It would be wise to already now slowly build up a stash of non-perishable goods for such a timeframe. Get your generator ready for emergencies and keep the freezer and fridge operating.

YMMV
tencats

Post by tencats »

kate520 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:41 pm Yesterday morning I placed a Costco grocery order delivered thru InstaCart. When I checked out I was informed my order would be delivered Sunday in the early afternoon.

So I was quite surprized to get a text two hours later saying they were pulling my order and expected to be there by 1:15. :shock:

Is that what a 20%tip gets one? 🙃 My driver was not wearing either gloves or a mask. InstaCart has not supplied them and she couldn’t find any. I had purchased a Costco box of Nitrile gloves before all this started and put them in the closet, so I also gave her a handful of those.
Everyone I know, not me though, uses Instacart and Uber Eats. What I know is not very meaningful though because I know only 3.5 humans. Nonetheless this looming instacart work strike is causing much discussion and angst. :crying:

Instacart employees plan nationwide strike as demand for grocery delivery soars amid coronavirus outbreak
https://abc7.com/instacart-strike-coron ... 9/6060570/
Employees at grocery delivery service Instacart are planning a nationwide strike Monday as millions of Americans are relying on the company during the coronavirus pandemic.

The company's gig workers, called "shoppers," say delivery service puts them at risk to COVID-19 exposure and Instacart should offer more protections, including hazard pay.

"Basically, I'm playing Russian roulette every time I go out there, every time I shop, every time I come into a grocery store," said employee Mia Kelly.

The in-store shoppers demanding the company provide hand sanitizers and disinfectants, hazard pay of $5 per order and an expansion to the current sick-pay policy.
Shizzle Popped

Post by Shizzle Popped »

My wife is still sick. No better but no worse and still no fever. We'll take that for now, but I'd like to see improvement soon.

I live south of Indianapolis where we're supposed to be under a "stay at home" order. We've apparently done very little real testing in the state but confirmed cases went up 50% today from yesterday. And yet, when I look out my back door across the field to the state route behind me there's a steady stream of traffic. It doesn't look to me like many people are taking this seriously which shouldn't really surprise me. Look for Indiana to become another hot spot.

I did have to go to the grocery store (half mile away) yesterday to pick up perishables. Stocks of eggs, dairy and bread are getting back to normal. The canned food aisles have very little in them and there was almost no laundry soap or fabric softener which I thought was a little odd.

I spent part of the day prepping the master bath for paint. I'll soon have most of the inside of the house repainted but I'm going to have to hire somebody to paint the two-story vaulted entry, after this is over.
If Trump was a stopped clock he still wouldn't be right twice a day.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

How is your Dad?
Shizzle Popped

Post by Shizzle Popped »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:16 pm How is your Dad?
He's hanging in there. I talk to him 3 or 4 times a day. He's keeping somewhat busy dealing all the things that have to be done when somebody passes away. The service is tomorrow but family friends will be there and have insisted he come to the house for a while afterward so that'll help. I worry about what happens when he runs out of things to do and can't really go anywhere.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

I thought about setting up an Amazon Nest for my Mom bit you cannot do that with the open wifi at her facility. She is unnecessarily needy and no visitors allowed. I take boxes of her shopping lists out to drop off. And she cries and is depressed because I cannot come up and hang out. The Nest would have been a little bit of comfort for her. Maybe that would be something that would be helpful for your Dad?

They are well over the two-weeks and it looks like they dodged the bullet for Covid 19, so far. I am very grateful for the immediate and strict policies they enacted. Her facility is an old converted county hospital out in the countryside which has her part, the independent living, then assisted and long-term nursing care.

Things are not too different for me, except I don't have my Dishwashing job at the greasy spoon. It is very easy to do nothing. My bro sent me his Netflix account info so I have binge watched some things (similar to doing nothing). However! Watched Ricky Gervais' new series, one season up right now, called After Life. It deals with loss and grief and has had a profound affect on me in a good way.
Shizzle Popped

Post by Shizzle Popped »

We have Echo Shows at both houses and call each other on those from time to time, but his internet connection is slow and dicey so it has a tendency to break up. It does help though.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Was a clip on MSNBC about a nursing home using some kind of robot with video/audio. The daughter was able to drive it into the lobby where her parents were waited and could video chat.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

pipistrelle wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:24 pm Has anyone used Amazon Fresh? Do they call you and tell you they're downstairs (I'm in an apt. building). Do they bring the order in one big box?

I have. I got a text it was here but I was asleep. They left it on the porch in 3 brown bags tops folded closed.
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

There's a 1 week backlog on local grocery delivery store services. Went in person Sunday morning ~7:30 a.m. and the store was half empty. About one person per aisle, very convenient.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Gregg wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:46 am
pipistrelle wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:24 pm Has anyone used Amazon Fresh? Do they call you and tell you they're downstairs (I'm in an apt. building). Do they bring the order in one big box?
I have. I got a text it was here but I was asleep. They left it on the porch in 3 brown bags tops folded closed.
I was concerned about being downstairs when it arrived but now I see I can watch the driver's real-time progress. Aside from so-called "social" media, technology has its uses. :)
Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

The weather yesterday evening was perfect. So Mrs. V. made us a snack patter and we ate out on the deck.
20200329_185637.jpg
Since we are going to be here a while I might try to get the BBQ grill going. Usually it isn't worth the effort since we head north in mid-April.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Looks great!
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

A nice little spread, V! That's the kind of snack I can get into. Some of my lunch and dinners look something like that, too.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage
kate520

Post by kate520 »

When mr520 was preparing for surgery we met with a nutritionist. To her, the most important meal of the day is lunch. Breakfast is sort of optional, depending on other factors, lunch should be huge and nutritious, dinner should look like yours, V - smallish, light, varied, proteinious (is that a word?).
DEFEND DEMOCRACY
Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

kate520 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:51 am When mr520 was preparing for surgery we met with a nutritionist. To her, the most important meal of the day is lunch. Breakfast is sort of optional, depending on other factors, lunch should be huge and nutritious, dinner should look like yours, V - smallish, light, varied, proteinious (is that a word?).
And that is why Southerners have dinner at noon, and supper in the evening.
Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

My housekeeper just brought me a 3 month supply of toilet paper. On top of the 3 month supply I already had. And lots of canned food and food to freeze.

I have tripled her salary for the duration of this situation. She has a family at home including a husband and a disabled adult daughter. Her other employers have let her go. I am asking her to work only 1 hour twice a week. That's in addition to standing in Costco lines. Which is priceless.

I have also doubled my gardener's salary. He and his crew have to keep working. I'm not sure of the immigration status of my gardener's crew, but I am sure they need the money.
kate520

Post by kate520 »

:lovestruck: :lovestruck: :lovestruck:
DEFEND DEMOCRACY
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Sterngard Friegen wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:01 pm My housekeeper just brought me a 3 month supply of toilet paper. On top of the 3 month supply I already had. And lots of canned food and food to freeze.

I have tripled her salary for the duration of this situation. She has a family at home including a husband and a disabled adult daughter. Her other employers have let her go. I am asking her to work only 1 hour twice a week. That's in addition to standing in Costco lines. Which is priceless.

I have also doubled my gardener's salary. He and his crew have to keep working. I'm not sure of the immigration status of my gardener's crew, but I am sure they need the money.
I’m not in a position to double, but I did pay my housekeeper, Marta, a month in advance and asked her to stay home, and we’ll take it a month at a time until it’s safe for her to return to work. She’s worked for us for fifteen years.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Coronavirus”