On a Personal Level--Coronavirus COVID-19 Cancellations, etc.

Foggy

Re: On a Personal Level--Coronavirus COVID-19 Cancellations, etc.

Post by Foggy »

Went to Sherwin-Williams paint store yesterday for a gallon. There was a guy outside, they're not letting customers in the store. Gave him the code for the color I wanted, he went inside and mixed it up. He came back outside and told me the price. Then he went back inside and I called him on my cellphone and read the credit card number and other info. He didn't touch my card. Then he brought the paint out and I took it home.

We've been making an effort to eat more Chinese food to support our local people, after hearing about discrimination against them. But we couldn't support them by ourselves - yesterday both local places were closed. We got pizza.
For more information, read it again.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Slim Cognito wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:29 am
I'm in Lee County and was going to do a drive-by post office drop to send masks out. Then I'd hoped to do a drive-by JoAnn's for more supplies. I'll call JoAnn's when they open to see what the current protocol is. I figured, if I have to go inside, I have my own mask, gloves and shopping bag. And lysol wipes in the car.
If they are open, you're all good. :thumbs: It's the social congregating in groups they want to stop. But, if the county residents don't stop with the House/community parties, the county commissioners may shut everything down Monday... so stock up from Joann's today as they may be force-closed Tuesday. (non-essential business). :(
We are told by LE: If you see something, say something. -- I agree.
If you see something, video record it, uploaded it, and say something!

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

They really really are begging. Lee County, don't mess this up.

It's kinda like them saying your 'Rents are coming home Monday... don't have that weekend party and trash the house or there will be hell to pay. :smoking:
Screenshot_20200328-100107-151.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
We are told by LE: If you see something, say something. -- I agree.
If you see something, video record it, uploaded it, and say something!

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Once again every article on the front page of The Houston Chronicle was Covid-19 related.

There was also a full page ad trying to hire nurses for the Houston Methodist system. I wish them good luck but expect they will have problems finding many just now.

Mrs. V. has an important eye doctor appointment Monday. Some new protocols in place. Park and wait in your car. They will phone you when ready to take you in. Go to door and someone will unlock it and let you in. Observe social distancing as much as space always. Bring your own bottle of water since they are not using their faucets for drinking water. Your driver (that's me ;)) must stay in the car.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

neonzx wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:07 am
They really really are begging. Lee County, don't mess this up.

It's kinda like them saying your 'Rents are coming home Monday... don't have that weekend party and trash the house or there will be hell to pay. :smoking:

Screenshot_20200328-100107-151.jpg
Just got back from JoAnn's. It went like this:

They do have kits for masks but if you're not there when they open, they're gone within 10 minutes.

It wasn't crowded and everyone seemed very cautious of personal space, so I wandered through. JoAnn's is a dangerous place for me, I'm like a kid in a candy store. I wore latex gloves. I have a mask in my purse but it didn't seem necessary. I don't think there were more than four other people besides workers.

I picked out some great fabric (Including some Grateful Dead teddy bear stuff - MINE! MINE! MINE!) and brought my stack over to be cut. The lady told me to lay down the bolts and step back so she could cut it. No problem, I backed off to the side.

As I waited, everyone's cell phones went off simultaneously. It was a Lee County alarm warning everyone to stay home this weekend. (See Neon's screenshot above) I laughed and said, to nobody in particular, "We all have to go home now." You could hear people chuckling in the distance. Then this voice right behind me queried, "They don't mean LEE COUNTY, do they?" I about jumped out of my skin as I turned to see this little old lady right on my ass. I slowly backed away from her like she was a grizzly bear.

So, most people are being very careful but some still don't get it.

I spent almost $200 so I've got plenty to do over the next couple of weeks. And Molly's getting a Grateful Dead cover for her cage.

(quick addendum) stopped at Dollar General, gloved and masked up and headed in to pick up a few, ahem, necessities. They did have toilet paper, but I didn't need any. Got to the checkout line and waited about 12 feet back from the lady checking out with her two packages of TP.

The young kid looked her dead in the eye and said "Two means two rolls.I have to open these and give you only two rolls. The lady was wearing a mask but you could see her eyes double in size. I say that because she turned around and looked at me like she was going to faint. The guy quickly reassured her it was a joke and we all had a laugh. Well, he and I had a laugh. I'm not sure the lady checking out thought it was funny but she was a good sport about it.
ImageImageImage x4

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

The local story about the auctioneer who has the 750,000 face masks is driving me crazy. What the local media (and apparently the TX AG) isn't looking at is: who owns these masks? The auctioneer isn't the seller, he's a middleman. The seller (owner) of the masks is the entity that chose to use the auctioneer to drive up the price rather than selling the masks on the open market in the usual course of business. So, who owns the masks? *Crickets*

Last night they reported the auctioneer says he also "has access" to lots more medical equipment (PPE) and "truckloads of hand sanitizer." What seller or sellers have been stockpiling this stuff? *Crickets*
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

What will all the staying at home and watching depressing news by last night I had run out of bourbon. ;)

Really didn't want to go to the liquor store so I tried ordering from Drisly. Went online, signed up, placed an order. Drialy sent the order to Spec's Liquor. Doordash sent a driver to get it. It was delivered 15 minutes before the promised time.

Spec's has lower prices than my usual store which difference covered about half of the delivery fee and tip.

At delivery the driver place the box on the bench by our front door and I held out my license to show the bar code which she scanned. Both of use extended our arms to maintain as much social distancing as possible during the brief transaction.

I wish grocery delivery was so quick. The next delivery slots here are for Tuesday.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

A cousin of our younger daughter's husband has tested positive for Covid-19. Getting close to home.

kate520

Post by kate520 »

The next delivery slots here are for Tuesday.
Yesterday morning I placed a Costco grocery order delivered thru InstaCart. When I checked out I was informed my order would be delivered Sunday in the early afternoon.

So I was quite surprized to get a text two hours later saying they were pulling my order and expected to be there by 1:15. :shock:

Is that what a 20%tip gets one? 🙃 My driver was not wearing either gloves or a mask. InstaCart has not supplied them and she couldn’t find any. I had purchased a Costco box of Nitrile gloves before all this started and put them in the closet, so I also gave her a handful of those.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbs:
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Has anyone used Amazon Fresh? Do they call you and tell you they're downstairs (I'm in an apt. building). Do they bring the order in one big box?

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

My Calabasas nephew tells me he believes one of his 3 brothers (another nephew of mine) had all the classic symptoms and a bad flu for a couple of weeks, but has recovered. That nephew is a pharmaceutical salesman so . . .

Since tests weren't available he doesn't know if he had it and won't until an antibody test is developed and available.

kate520

Post by kate520 »

We used Amazon Fresh until they discontinued it in our area :( I liked it a lot. They bring it in as many containers as needed, including cold and frozen things. (Liquid nitrogen!)

I can’t answer your question about apartments, but when I signed up it let me leave general instructions.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

tek

Post by tek »

Daughter,tek has been sewing masks for a local hospital.

I am a car enthusiast, a classic Mopar fan..

Today this arrived:
dodge_mask.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's no way back
from there to here

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

Your daughter is six different kinds of awesome, tek. You're a good dad. :bighug:
For more information, read it again.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

So they announced a lockdown here in Ireland yesterday, saying specifically that supermarkets would remain open and so on

Went into my local shop today, later on in the evening as is my habit, and it was like a bomb hit it. Everything was cleaned out. Person on the till said it was like Christmas, complete bedlam all day. And all the Milk was gone. Which is something that goes sour so its super perishable so hoarding it us pointless.

So I went to the other supermarket and get 3 small bottles of milk as that's all they had left. They were panic buying fuel as well... which is pointless as people have been told to stay 2km of their home!
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Suranis wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:29 pm
So they announced a lockdown here in Ireland yesterday, saying specifically that supermarkets would remain open and so on

Went into my local shop today, later on in the evening as is my habit, and it was like a bomb hit it. Everything was cleaned out. Person on the till said it was like Christmas, complete bedlam all day. And all the Milk was gone. Which is something that goes sour so its super perishable so hoarding it us pointless.

So I went to the other supermarket and get 3 small bottles of milk as that's all they had left. They were panic buying fuel as well... which is pointless as people have been told to stay 2km of their home!
I have powdered milk. Oddly, it’s become my preference. And 18 quarts come in a small box.

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

I'll see if I can get it somewhere.
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

One co-workers parents live on LI (Lawn Guy Land), and both are positive, in hospital, and not doing well. His brothers are keeping him informed. He's a wreck worrying long distance.

One of my favorite commentariats on OLive tested positive a few days ago, and has gone radio silent. We hope he's okay.

So, that's two people I know indirectly. Hasn't landed on our doorstep yet.

Our Sunday Dinner group has dwindled to two guests. Our retired football player doesn't want to take any chances. His oldest son is bringing him groceries, but otherwise, he wants no contact. Okay.

The two mentally handicapped boys (young men actually) are doing really well on their own, and their mother requested we let them be. They'll ask for help if they need it. Okay. Glad I got the wheelchair ramp done for her.

That leaves our 97yo WWII veteran air corp nurse, and our 78yo retired bank manager with a congestive heart problem who now does pick up and deliveries for people stuck at home off some app she signed up for. They are both damn the torpedoes - full speed ahead.

Work says we are essential, and to keep our shoulder to the wheel. We found a supply in our lockup of N95, N100, and P100 masks along with gloves, tyvek suits, face shields, and even one full scba respirator that nobody knows how to use. We scrubbed the office down, drafted protocols, and enacted them. Payroll, accounting, and HR are all working from home. Only a handful of staff are on site. The coffee pot and kitchen and snacks are all off limits. Bring your own, or have none. No sharing. Stay on top of your projects, and move them forward as best we can within the limits of our customer's abilities. And I have a lot of irons in the fire right now.

Mrs is feeling good enough for some retail therapy in the form of slow accumulation end timer hoarding. This is really kicking her security issues, and she wants to ensure we'll be okay. I get it. The cupboards are full, and things are starting to pile up on the kitchen table. I have to stop this before we have tubs of stuff. I may have to modify my work schedule to 1-2-1-2-1 like I did years ago. Sun off, Mon and Tues work, Wed off, Thu and Fri work, Sat off. I'm home a little more often, gone less often, and she feels a bit safer.

Lani

Post by Lani »

I want to support local restaurants, but it's harder than I thought when I searched the websites, most of which had nothing about new hours, pick-up, etc. My favorites are long time mom & pop places with no websites. Today the Chamber of Commerce created a map of the open places with all the info I need, and the Chamber is continuing to contact other restaurants to add. Hours, system for ordering and pick-up, limited menus, etc. I was thrilled to find a Thai restaurant and a taco truck in the village closest to me. In town, Fish Express is open 7 days a week, offers 5% off to seniors, delivers to your car. Old local family Dani's is providing free breakfast to seniors, delivered to home (if nearby) or car. :thumbs:

Now my problem is deciding whether I want Thai, Mexican or sushi tomorrow. :think:

Also today I discovered that a farming family a few block away is selling fresh fruit & veggies in their front yard. All farmer's markets are closed, so I'll make sure to find out when they are selling so I can support them, too.

Shutting the farmer's markets was a hard blow to the sellers. But the food banks, social services, etc. are buying from them for delivery to people who qualify for home meals (senior programs, meals on wheels recipients, disabled).

It lifted my spirits to see so much support for our local food providers!

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Here's a cheery headline for a Sunday Morning-

Houston coronavirus cases have tripled, a 2nd death reported, lack of supplies limits increased testing

https://www.chron.com/local/article/Hou ... 163969.php
A second death has been reported from the novel coronavirus in Houston, Mayor Sylvester Turner announced at a Saturday press briefing. The second death was a woman in her 70’s who died on Friday night, according to Turner.

Turner also announced that 163 additional cases have been identified, bringing Houston's total to 232. This largest single-day surge triples the Houston COVID-19 cases from 69 to 232.

“The numbers are going to rise as we do more testing,” Turner said. “We’re not surprised at all.”

:snippity:

The city’s efforts to expand testing were dealt a blow Saturday when the federal government told Turner it would only send enough personal protective gear to conduct 250 tests a day in the nation’s fourth-largest city.
Harris County is doing some testing using supplies sourced elsewhere.

Mrs. V. has gone to the HEB Megamarket to replenish supplies. We hunkered down on the 13th expecting a two week stay at home so some items have been fully consumed. Not really happy about her going out but she promised to be very careful and to abandon the project if there was a line out the door. Mrs. V. was really anxious to get somewhere else than the house even for a short while.

Starting Tuesday the Houston Chronicle will add a new daily section totally devoted the Covid-19 news in an attempt to get some non-virus news back on the front page.

Neighboring Liberty County to our NE has decided to let the churches hold services today. :roll:

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

We're trying to do takeout twice a week. Usually what we get works for two meals. It's sometimes hard to figure out who is doing what on any given day. Some restaurants are open every day, some not. Hours change. Menus change. But we are making it work. We are very grateful for those that are staying open for delivery and takeout and want to support them.

Also:
PITTSBURGH, PA - Allegheny County's confirmed coronavirus cases have increased to 219 as of 11 a.m. Saturday, the county health department announced. That's up from 158 confirmed cases on Friday and 133 confirmed cases on Thursday.

Thirty-one people have been hospitalized in the county during the outbreak, up from 25 on Friday.
https://patch.com/pennsylvania/pittsbur ... newsletter

I'm sure the number is up from yesterday, but the new numbers haven't been released yet this morning.

So there are still only two deaths, both over a week ago.

I heard the governor say the other day that in PA a slight majority of the cases are under 50 years old.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Five deaths and 409 confirmed cases in Arkansas, plus a tornado and a train derailment.

The majority of the cases are white females.
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.
- https://legaldictionary.net/19th-amendment/

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB »

One of my Civil War pards is on a respirator in Salem, Oregon with Covid-19. He's my age. I'll see how this plays out.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

ZekeB wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:21 am
One of my Civil War pards is on a respirator in Salem, Oregon with Covid-19. He's my age. I'll see how this plays out.
Sorry to read this.
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

Return to “Coronavirus”