On a Personal Level--Coronavirus COVID-19 Cancellations, etc.

Volkonski

Re: On a Personal Level--Coronavirus COVID-19 Cancellations, etc.

Post by Volkonski »

So Harris County-

Tuesday number of cases 79

Wednesday increased by 40 to 119

Today so far increased by 66 to 185

1 death so far.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Addie

Post by Addie »

Suranis :grouphug:
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

Volkonski wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:25 pm

Religious groups are still covered by the county order but if they cheat in League City no one is going to do anything about it.
Our idiot governor went the other way by declaring religious groups essential. That means that as long as you don't live in a city or county that tightened the restrictions you're good to go.

As far as we can tell, the only thing he considers non-essential is nail salons.

377 positive, 2 dead yesterday
485 positive, 5 dead today

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

God is Great.

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Patagoniagirl wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:39 pm
God is Great.
Nail Salons aren't. :fingerwag:
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

Suranis wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:01 pm
Patagoniagirl wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:39 pm
God is Great.
Nail Salons aren't. :fingerwag:
But... but... the chick on Fox and Friends thinks they are. At about 27 minutes:

“What's interesting too. You know, we're talking about this, every day, we’re talking about different topics, because we’re moving in hopefully the direction of getting where China is now or South Korea is now and, um, just getting some improvement. But I was thinking, you know, we all ... I live in the city, you can't go back to the ci... you can, but I don't want to, because I don't want to be around the area that's infected the most, but I'm thinking, like, all the bills that are stacking up at my apartment, you know, we gotta think about that kind of thing. If you bought clothing before all this happened, if you want to return it, are stores gonna, gonna, you know, waive that 30-day period where you can get your money back if you need to return something? These are all the things. You know. People are staying home. Women, and ya'll don't think about this, guys, but, and, uh, this not a priority, but women have to get their hair done. I saw someone tweet out, you’re going to see what color our real hair is, because our roots are going to grow in. Women's, um, all my friends are saying, you know, this is not a priority, people are dying, and I realize that, but they can’t get their nails done. You know, businesses are closed everywhere, it's just, we're in priority mode right now, it's, uh, pharmacies, uh, and it is grocery stores, that, those are really the only places people are going now."
Transcript via Jim Wright
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy »

Suranis wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:11 pm
MsDaisy wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:00 pm
:o How is it locally, are there many sick? Let us know how it's going. :bighug:
I was told yesterday by my Apartment manager that the guy that lives above me has it, which started full scale Parinoia in me. The nurse today said there are loads of stories about who has it flying around and they are all false, so I cant say anymore than that. Locally it's Like a dead zone here, everything is shut bar a few places that are doing takeout. I got myself a dinner today takeout and to be honest it was awful :D

That place that I met you and your hubs is still open doing takeout, by the way. I was chatting with one of the staff as I was waiting on my meal, and she said its so strange seeing no-one in the Restaurant and not having people going in and out. She said she is in the mood for a good busy day again.
#1 Do not touch any of the handrails in your building. #2 The place we met did have extremely good food, was that "one of the staff" the same server who came up smiling at you and welcoming you by your proper name when we all arrived for lunch? :blink:
Birfers are toast

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

MsDaisy wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:36 pm
#1 Do not touch any of the handrails in your building. #2 The place we met did have extremely good food, was that "one of the staff" the same server who came up smiling at you and welcoming you by your proper name when we all arrived for lunch? :blink:
Its my fault, I didn't microwave it enough when I got home. I got it cold so I could nuke it, I should have let them heat it properly. And luckily I don't have to use the same stairs as anyone else in the place.

Ya, the girls are all really nice in there. Sadly, it wasn't the same girl. Ah if I thought I had a chance in hell.
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy »

Suranis wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:57 pm
MsDaisy wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:36 pm
Its my fault, I didn't microwave it enough when I got home. I got it cold so I could nuke it, I should have let them heat it properly. And luckily I don't have to use the same stairs as anyone else in the place.

Ya, the girls are all really nice in there. Sadly, it wasn't the same girl. Ah if I thought I had a chance in hell.
How do you know you don't? She had a twinkle in her eye when she greeted you I saw straight away! Maybe you should ask her to have a coffee, you never know, right? :daydream: :thumbs:
Birfers are toast

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

There are 4 places that will deliver groceries to us: Whole Food$, Shaw’s, Hannaford, and Walmart. In each, you create your order then checkout and choose a delivery window. But every @#$& delivery window is always filled up because you can only choose that day or the next. W2 wants us to place orders with all 4 and keep trying until one gives us a window. :lol: :crying: :bangwall:

I yearn for the days in Boston where we had Peapod. You could Load your cart until you had the minimum, then pick a window days in the future, and add or subtract from your cart until the night before your order. :daydream:

We DON’T want to go in person, but we might have to.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Just 1700 tests in a county of 4.7 million people isn't even a drop in a bucket.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

My brother is a senior LEO in the Harris County, TX area. I asked yesterday how things were. He said fairly quiet except an uptick in domestic calls. But not what I thought. Mostly issues and fights between parents and teens at home together.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

I went out on Tuesday and bought groceries at 6 AM for the senior hour, but I'm going to do the curbside delivery after this. I think they also do delivery, but the store I like to shop isn't the closest one to me. Yesterday was my birthday, and I gave myself the gift of stepping away from the news most of the day. I watched Harry Potter movies, and it was a breath of fresh air. I think I'm going to extend that break from the news. I'm well aware of what's happening, but I don't need to see the gory details every single hour of the day.

I had a happy birthday text from an old friend I dropped over the whole twitler thing a few years ago. She lives and dies by what faux noise tells her, and she's an avid Limbaugh fan. She wants to reconnect, and I don't know that I want to, even with all that's going on. :(

We are skyping with the grandkids every evening.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

June bug

Post by June bug »

AndyinPA wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:52 am
...Yesterday was my birthday, and I gave myself the gift of stepping away from the news most of the day. I watched Harry Potter movies, and it was a breath of fresh air. I think I'm going to extend that break from the news. I'm well aware of what's happening, but I don't need to see the gory details every single hour of the day.

...We are skyping with the grandkids every evening.
:bighug: Keep taking care of yourself - you're right, we don't need the gory details over and over, not to mention all the hype and hypothesizing! :bighug:

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Accounting is still working in the closed office. FedEx just came by and very different - I unlocked the door, he asked if it was OK to leave on the counter and got my last name without my having to sign off on his little machine.

Looks like Fred Meyer is offering free pickup instead of the usual $4.95 fee, at least the FM that I'm planning on picking up at. It's still a couple of days out to place an order, but I'd rather avoid going inside stores if possible. Still, no hand sanitizer or disinfectant wipes :madguy:

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

I'm trying to do my part. My gym is closed and they're not billing me. But I still have sessions via facetime with my personal trainer. He's out of a job for the foreseeable future, but nothing has changed for us financially, so I can afford to pay him directly. Same with the registered dietitian I've been seeing at the gym -- we're continuing the sessions over the phone and I'm paying her directly. These folks have helped me immensely in the last year (I've lost about 35 lbs), so I feel indebted to them and anything I can do to help them put food on the table is worth it to me.

We've had a weekly cleaning service for years (which saved our marriage :shock: ). I paid her today for a month in advance and told her to come back in four weeks. I don't mind that I'm paying her for work she and her crew are not doing. She's a citizen, but I'm pretty sure the women who work for her are undocumented. There's no financial fall-back for them, and they probably couldn't go home even if they wanted to.

Yesterday I had a music lesson over skype. That was hard. But again, music is something that has saved my sanity, particularly in the last few years when my job became really soul-crushing.

I'm fortunate.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

!!!!!

This is the second time I've been able to get some disinfecting wipes into my Amazon cart, only to have it taken out before I can check out :madguy:

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

NE Wisconsin is definitely undercounted as far as cases are concerned. Officially, Brown County (population approximately 250,000) has only had 6 confirmed positives, yet we just had a story yesterday on local news about how one city's fire department EMTs are transporting 2 suspected cases every shift. So that number makes no sense.

I've been hunkered down working from home, getting caught up on billing, reviewing discovery, etc. Today I had to run to my PO Box and swing by the office to grab some mail, drop some files off, and bring some others home. Voted early at city hall and grabbed some necessities at the grocery store on my way home. I'll admit to being fairly anxious about the whole trip. Last night, my best friend (a professor at Kansas State) and I had drinks with each other via Zoom. We're already planning on doing it again next week, and I honestly don't know why it took a global catastrophe to give us that idea.

Mrs. FRP works for a utility contractor, so she's considered essential (so am I, but working from home is easier for me), and has been going to her office about 40 minutes away. She doesn't mind the cheap gas and significantly reduced traffic on her commute, but she's not wild about having extremely Trumpy coworkers who are downplaying the whole thing. Apparently a bunch of them were planning their own "happy hour" gathering in the parking lot this evening. Idiots.

So far, she and I have managed to alternate days of not being okay, so to speak. I'm taking much more notice of the small things that are still normal. Our cats. The local bird populations starting to return for spring - including the very territorial pair of barn swallows who nest near our front door every year. The neighbors' intact male Shih Tzu who hates strangers and barks at me every time he sees me walk by. Come to think of it, all the normalcy I'm noticing comes from non-human animals. Hmm...
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Mr. Gneiss

Post by Mr. Gneiss »

Went to King Soopers this morning when they were only open for seniors. Got there at 7:00 a.m. when they opened only to find about 60 of my fellow seniors, each with a shopping cart and spaced 6 feet from each other waiting outside the store. Before I was able to get inside I saw a few leaving with the last of the TP....sigh!

After getting back, I called my dad and Mrs. Gneiss and I sang him happy birthday, which he thoroughly enjoyed. He lives in a small town at the west end of the Nebraska Sandhills. He still drives his pickup and Cadillac around town to get groceries and take my stepmom to her physical therapy sessions. I'm blessed to still have my dad. He is 98 today and he felt the need to give me some advise on "things." :thumbs:

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

Happy Birthday, Mr. Gneiss's dad! :dance:
For more information, read it again.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

fierceredpanda wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:00 pm
NE Wisconsin is definitely undercounted as far as cases are concerned. Officially, Brown County (population approximately 250,000) has only had 6 confirmed positives, yet we just had a story yesterday on local news about how one city's fire department EMTs are transporting 2 suspected cases every shift. So that number makes no sense.
Why doesn't it make sense? Suspected cases aren't positives until they get the results back. There was a blurb on the radio yesterday about people freaking out and calling an ambulance because they were coughing.

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

Because the story quoted EMTs saying they thought these were COVID-19 cases, and we're being told there is community spread.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

AndyinPA wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:52 am
I went out on Tuesday and bought groceries at 6 AM for the senior hour, but I'm going to do the curbside delivery after this. I think they also do delivery, but the store I like to shop isn't the closest one to me. Yesterday was my birthday, and I gave myself the gift of stepping away from the news most of the day. I watched Harry Potter movies, and it was a breath of fresh air. I think I'm going to extend that break from the news. I'm well aware of what's happening, but I don't need to see the gory details every single hour of the day.

I had a happy birthday text from an old friend I dropped over the whole twitler thing a few years ago. She lives and dies by what faux noise tells her, and she's an avid Limbaugh fan. She wants to reconnect, and I don't know that I want to, even with all that's going on. :(

We are skyping with the grandkids every evening.
Happy Belated Birthday! 🎁🥂🍮
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.
- https://legaldictionary.net/19th-amendment/

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

TexasFilly wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:42 pm
Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:34 pm
A question. While inventorying my toilet paper supply I found a full bottle of rubbing alcohol under my sink in the master bath. There was an expiration date on the bottle - November 2016.

What expired? It still seems potent.
That is a debate that I have with my spouse all the time. IDK the answer to this vis rubbing alcohol, but some things degrade, some things don't and it is my unsubstantiated belief manufacturers use these dates to move product.

Since I have a spray bottle of alcohol in every bathroom and kitchen I don't have old stock sitting around. No doubt you could find out the answer to your question though.
It might be possible that its stronger than the stated concentration, because the water evaporated faster than the alcohol. Which one evaporates faster?
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

I would have said Alcohol, honestly but I'm too lazy to look it up.

Return to “Coronavirus”