On a Personal Level--Coronavirus COVID-19 Cancellations, etc.

TexasFilly

Re: On a Personal Level--Coronavirus COVID-19 Cancellations, etc.

Post by TexasFilly »

I am not a person who is averse to using bleach (not on my quartzite countertops though!) but it's been gone from stores here for weeks. I have a bottle around because

OCD

but I use that for laundry. I also use Comet and various other bleach products for bathroom cleaning.
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

A question. While inventorying my toilet paper supply I found a full bottle of rubbing alcohol under my sink in the master bath. There was an expiration date on the bottle - November 2016.

What expired? It still seems potent.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:34 pm
A question. While inventorying my toilet paper supply I found a full bottle of rubbing alcohol under my sink in the master bath. There was an expiration date on the bottle - November 2016.

It may no longer be at the stated concentration.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Sterngard Friegen wrote:

That is a debate that I have with my spouse all the time. IDK the answer to this vis rubbing alcohol, but some things degrade, some things don't and it is my unsubstantiated belief manufacturers use these dates to move product.

Since I have a spray bottle of alcohol in every bathroom and kitchen I don't have old stock sitting around. No doubt you could find out the answer to your question though.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

TexasFilly wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:23 pm
I am not a person who is averse to using bleach (not on my quartzite countertops though!) but it's been gone from stores here for weeks. I have a bottle around because

OCD

but I use that for laundry. I also use Comet and various other bleach products for bathroom cleaning.
I went to Costco today, my closest store is a hybrid of full service Costco along with office supplies for the businesses and foodie supplies for the restaurant folks. They open at 8AM M-F for Executive Members. The line was pretty long for that store at that hour, but it was well organized and a nice young man in security uniform directing traffic and everyone was in good spirits. LOL, the workers guarding the pallet of paper towels (limit one) and Clorox Bleach (limit one).

I was able to get a 3-pack of bleach, some paper towels (no TP), and some Clorox disinfectant cleaner. No wipes, no hand sanitizer. The lads at the other branches are all :crying: for stuff to help disinfect and I can't find any. I actually had some surface wipes in my Amazon cart and it disappeared before I could finalize the order.

I can't speak for other Costcos, but the store I went today just started a senior (over 60) hour on Tuesdays and Thursdays and they'll open it up at 7AM for them. For once I'm grateful to be in that age group.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

I don't have a Costco membership any longer. Our little family unit had no need to buy a half gallon of garlic powder any more. ;) We try to buy what we are going to use in a short period of time, but that was before the TrumpPlague. On the bright side, there is no more bitching about my collection of cleaning supplies these days. :?

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

TexasFilly wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:42 pm
Sterngard Friegen wrote:

That is a debate that I have with my spouse all the time. IDK the answer to this vis rubbing alcohol, but some things degrade, some things don't and it is my unsubstantiated belief manufacturers use these dates to move product.

Since I have a spray bottle of alcohol in every bathroom and kitchen I don't have old stock sitting around. No doubt you could find out the answer to your question though.
To my knowledge, the only thing in the US that legally requires an expiration date is baby formula. Everything else is a "best if used by" date that is arbitrary, and yes, designed to move product.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

I have a Costco membership 'cause I do all the shopping of stuff the branches need (keeps the lads out of the store and frivolous buying). With the Executive level, the cash perks rebates each year are a nice treat, plus the purchases on the Costco Visa make for another rebate/gift certificate.

Bonus, we're a smallish company and when I have a delivery I can add a thing of TP for myself and reimburse the company. Except for the last few weeks, that plan is in the toilet. Sigh...

Somerset

Post by Somerset »

TexasFilly wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:42 pm
Sterngard Friegen wrote:

Isopropyl alcohol doesn't break down or decompose at household storage temperatures. But it can absorb water and evaporate, lowering its concentration.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

I thank everybody for answering my question.

Since the bottle was tightly capped I doubt there was any way for water to get in. I will therefore treasure my ancient bottle of rubbing alcohol.

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

pipistrelle wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:35 pm
Social distancing scorecards for where you live.

https://www.unacast.com/covid19/social- ... scoreboard
This is a great resource. As far as Florida goes I see absolutely no surprises. The counties that are rated as "A" are all counties that are majority Democrat and the F's are all counties that lean heavily Republican. This does not surprise me one bit as I can clearly tell a person's politics by their attitude about taking precautions and I can tell a person's attitude toward taking precautions if I know their political leanings. IMO our society has become clearly divided in all ways by politics.

It's sad to see the willingness to protect ourselves against the threat of a deadly disease is dependent on political views. Donald Trump's denial and insistence that this was all a hoax has clearly caused a large portion of the country to resent any efforts to mitigate this virus. And if what I see on the Florida map is any indication, we can plan on Florida going to Trump in November. Not by a landslide, but he will probably take Florida.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

kate520

Post by kate520 »

Three years after date it’s still full strength. It begins to degrade after that but not fast. It’s probably 95% for another year.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

TexasFilly wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:16 pm
You need to clean the surface first (soap and water in a spray bottle will do), with a paper towel. Then spray the rubbing alcohol on and let it air dry. If you don't have a spray bottle, saturate a paper towel with the alcohol, wet the surface well, and air dry.

I know this because I have a fascination with cleaning and disinfecting. My son calls it OCD.
Thank you!
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

From a armchair virologist:

Remember that the coronavirus is not airborn, it will not fly-by-night into your place.

So imho first places to clean and desinfect / sanitize are the entrance area. Think of doorbells, think of handrails leading up to your place. Next give the housedoor itself and the doorframe a cleaning. Use common sense aka the things you would touch yourself, or see others touch when coming home. Next order of importance: where do you leave your shopping and other bags when you arrive home. Clean those surfaces (after discarding the containers). Forget about beeing environmentally friendly and don't reuse any bags you receive during shopping just now, discard them asap. Your own carrying bags used outside, you may want to wipe them down with some sanitizer.

Shizzle Popped

Post by Shizzle Popped »

My house backs up to a field that's on a fairly busy two-lane state route here in Indiana. I've been watching the traffic off and on today, the day we started our lockdown, and I see little if any change in the volume. I don't think people here have any idea how serious this is going to get. Personally, I'm trying to stay home as much as I possibly can.
If Trump was a stopped clock he still wouldn't be right twice a day.

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

I have a mild tightness in my chest tonight and I think I'm running a temperature. I think I'll ring my doctor tomorrow and talk about getting tested.
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Suranis wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:16 pm
I have a mild tightness in my chest tonight and I think I'm running a temperature. I think I'll ring my doctor tomorrow and talk about getting tested.
:eek2:

Take care.

Lani

Post by Lani »

AndyinPA wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:39 pm
The Pittsburgh sanitation workers are refusing to work without proper protective equipment.
A bus driver on Oahu has covid19. Our local drivers are understandably upset. Bus schedule has been greatly reduced, and drivers work a week, then off a week. I saw one of the drivers yesterday. He was just sitting, looking worried. We chatted briefly - 7 feet apart - and I suggested that he tell management that it has to provide gloves and masks. (Good luck with getting masks!)

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Saw a comment on a Facebook thread complaining about how much traffic there still was in our city. So I checked Houston Transtar traffic cameras.

https://traffic.houstontranstar.org/cct ... way_8-East

I checked the east side of Houston and our city. Traffic everywhere was very light. Much of what traffic there is out there are trucks.

So the stay home order is having an effect.

League City near us passed an ordinance to give LEOs power to arrest or ticket stay at home violators but they exempted religious groups. :brickwallsmall:

Religious groups are still covered by the county order but if they cheat in League City no one is going to do anything about it.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

pipistrelle wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:20 pm
Suranis wrote:

Take care.
:bighug:
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.
- https://legaldictionary.net/19th-amendment/

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:34 pm
pipistrelle wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:20 pm
Suranis wrote:

Take care.
Thanks guys. Had a phone call from the nurse and it looks like I just have a cold or something. Have a really horrid sinus pain right now and a bit of chest pain but I'm not dying. She said to call her again if it get worse but that I don't need to self isolate or anything.
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy »

Suranis wrote:
:o How is it locally, are there many sick? Let us know how it's going. :bighug:
Birfers are toast

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Just got an alert from Harris County.

Numbers Covid-19 cases are increasing rapidly in all areas of the county. Stay home.

(Memo to self- turn down loudness of emergency alerts.)
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl »

Suranis wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:55 pm

:snippity:
Thanks guys. Had a phone call from the nurse and it looks like I just have a cold or something. Have a really horrid sinus pain right now and a bit of chest pain but I'm not dying. She said to call her again if it get worse but that I don't need to self isolate or anything.
Phew! Those symptoms didn’t sound at all good.

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

MsDaisy wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:00 pm
:o How is it locally, are there many sick? Let us know how it's going. :bighug:
I was told yesterday by my Apartment manager that the guy that lives above me has it, which started full scale Parinoia in me. The nurse today said there are loads of stories about who has it flying around and they are all false, so I cant say anymore than that. Locally it's Like a dead zone here, everything is shut bar a few places that are doing takeout. I got myself a dinner today takeout and to be honest it was awful :D

That place that I met you and your hubs is still open doing takeout, by the way. I was chatting with one of the staff as I was waiting on my meal, and she said its so strange seeing no-one in the Restaurant and not having people going in and out. She said she is in the mood for a good busy day again.

Return to “Coronavirus”