On a Personal Level--Coronavirus COVID-19 Cancellations, etc.

Frater I*I

Re: On a Personal Level--Coronavirus COVID-19 Cancellations, etc.

Post by Frater I*I »

FSDO is "FizzDoe"

FAA is "Sky Cops"

TOMC {Technical Operations/Maintenance Controller] "Tom See"

Yes, we're weird, that's why my post just jumped into jargon rather that having a detailed explanation, guess when the AvMech disease infects your blood your brain gets rewired :lol:
Gazer Into the SovCit Abyss

Shizzle Popped

Post by Shizzle Popped »

My father called late last night and my mother's coronavirus test came back negative. She's still not in very good shape but they've moved her out of the ICU and there are options to treat her now.
If Trump was a stopped clock he still wouldn't be right twice a day.

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise »

That’s such good news, Shizzle. I’m glad there are available options to treat her. :bighug:
"I am no longer accepting the things I cannot change. I am changing the things I cannot accept."
Angela Davis

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

Sunrise wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:48 am
That’s such good news, Shizzle. I’m glad there are available options to treat her. :bighug:
:bighug:
ImageImageImage x4

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

Foggy wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:21 pm
Here, at least, Home Depot is open. I'm picking up two sheets of red oak plywood today for making my wife a bookcase. They already texted me to come on down.
I ended up going to two different Home Depots yesterday.

Both of them had "Help Wanted" signs out front. Some businesses are doing better than others.
For more information, read it again.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

I did it again yesterday - left big tips for my food.

All the restaurants are slow around here. So, I paid for a $5 chicken salad sammich for lunch from Best Baggette with a ten, and put the change in the tip jar. On the drive home, I dropped into Happy Teriyaki paying for a $10 yakisoba with spring rolls with a twenty putting the change in the tip jar.

Here again, it's a drop in the bucket compared to the amount they need to bring in each day to stay alive. Overpaying is my way of saying how much I cherish them. I have no idea if any of them will be around in a week, much less through the entire isolation period.

I'm hoping to get a haircut today before those all get shut down. I'll probably pay her forty, and wish her the best if she is even open.

Ugh.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

I have noticed a couple of things here. It's spring. There's a ball park for kids' teams across the street from us. At this time of the year, there are teams practicing out there every day of the week until the season starts and then playing every day. They were there one day and then all the schools closed.

Also, we aren't too close to the international airport, but there's a smaller airport that's used mostly for corporate and private planes not more than a few miles from us. The skies have been pretty quiet. It reminds me of the days after 911.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Our older daughter and son-in-law moved into their new home on Monday just in time to hunker down. They had a problem with their stove.

Today our son-in-law posted-

Yay stove is fixed! We can actually cook pasta now!

One of the replies-

You have PASTA?!?!?! You lucky bastard. Finding pasta is like hitting the lottery!
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

It's spring - time to tend those Spaghetti Trees

Sekrit Stuffs!

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

sorry - can't resist
Too much rain ruins marshmallow crop in North Carolina.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

:rotflmao:

On both.

I love spaghetti and have a favorite brand of whole wheat spaghetti that my daughter gets at the co-op for me, usually buying about six packages at a time. I stocked up not too long before this all started. :dance:

(I'm used to buying in bulk or quantity. It's just a habit I've had for a long time.)
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

kate520

Post by kate520 »

I got a pasta machine for Xmas this year. I’ll have to try whole what flour next time. Unfortunately for him, mr520 is still trying to eat low carb.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB »

I had spaghetti tonight. I never gave a thought to buying more.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

I really wish the media and government would would speak out more on the hoarding/stockpiling. The supply chain is still moving. It's one thing to clean out TP. It's quite another to bulk buy and clean out food staples.

But when these assholes strip the selves of food, now they are causing a major problem.

The grocery stores aren't going to close. Stop grabbing more of the pie than you normally would.

Even in hurricanes, the trucks don't stop. The shelves are empty because of the same assholes. Now it's just a national hurricane but same assholes buying more than they need.
We are told by LE: If you see something, say something. -- I agree.
If you see something, video record it, uploaded it, and say something!

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Pasta is easy to make... if you can lay your hands of flour and eggs, that is. I had a bunch of canned goods and boxes of pasta bagged up to take to the food bank. I’m going to hang onto it for a while, I think. Does that make me a bad person? I’m fragile emotionally right now, and things I can do to make myself feel more prepared are helping.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

neonzx wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:55 pm
I really wish the media and government would would speak out more on the hoarding/stockpiling. The supply chain is still moving. It's one thing to clean out TP. It's quite another to bulk buy and clean out food staples.

But when these assholes strip the selves of food, now they are causing a major problem.

The grocery stores aren't going to close. Stop grabbing more of the pie than you normally would.

Even in hurricanes, the trucks don't stop. The shelves are empty because of the same assholes. Now it's just a national hurricane but same assholes buying more than they need.
I don't get to the store except when a friend drives so I usually have a lot of nonperishables and large items (e.g., cat litter) in case I can't get a ride for a few weeks. But I rarely at any time buy more than two of an item. The stripping of store stock is weird. In the areas where there's a stay home directive, you can still go out for pet food.

I don't understand the extremes some preppers go to. I get that we all want to survive disasters, but we survive better as a troupe than as individuals. And my personal survival instinct is not as strong as that of most. But I don't get the "I will sacrifice anything or anyone for my family's survival." That was the attitude that came through in the bits of Finicum's "book" that I skimmed, and it came across as small minded and selfish (yes, I know he was trying to sound manly and heroic).

Azastan

Post by Azastan »

neonzx wrote:

Someone wiser than I pointed out that many people are buying more of the 'pie' than they normally would because they are now at home needing to cook for the family, rather than going out to dinner.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Azastan wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:40 pm
neonzx wrote:
Someone wiser than I pointed out that many people are buying more of the 'pie' than they normally would because they are now at home needing to cook for the family, rather than going out to dinner.
A friend at a big box store said a person would come in and buy $50 worth of toilet paper. They’re expecting the apocalypse and want to have a clean arse. It’s not all a little extra for being at home more.

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Azastan wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:40 pm
neonzx wrote:

In one sense, I can see that. But are there that many Americans who mostly ate out or take-away and weren't cooking at home? Maybe. Recipe websites must be seeing a huge spike in visits. :P
We are told by LE: If you see something, say something. -- I agree.
If you see something, video record it, uploaded it, and say something!

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Augie Nash
@AugieNash
I'm at Sam's Club

Older couple in 70's checking out

Cashier asks if they found everything they needed

Lady said no - needed bread

Young man in 20's heard this and says " Ma'am, I have a loaf you can have, and if you see anything in my cart, you're welcome to it"#Covid_19

8:33 PM - Mar 20, 2020

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

I got in the habit of buying more because I didn't drive until I was almost 30, so I always wanted to have whatever I needed on hand. I shop sales. But my daughter and son-in-law and two kids shopped very differently. On one was home until a week ago all day. The kids were in school, so they didn't buy much more than dinner and snacks each week. They shopped every Saturday and used up much of what they bought for the next week. Now all four of them are home all day. That makes a difference.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

One if the greatest lessons I learned in Thailand is that you can live without toilet paper. You had to completely remove your pants and underwear and hang them on a hook or they’d get soaked. Then you wash yourself with water from a cistern next to the toilet, and after you wash yourself, you wash your hands. It took some getting used to, but I felt really clean. So I, for one, am not freaked out about the idea that there might not be TO. I can live without it.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Lani

Post by Lani »

Also - baby wipes!

Azastan

Post by Azastan »

AndyinPA wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:57 pm
I got in the habit of buying more because I didn't drive until I was almost 30, so I always wanted to have whatever I needed on hand. I shop sales. But my daughter and son-in-law and two kids shopped very differently. On one was home until a week ago all day. The kids were in school, so they didn't buy much more than dinner and snacks each week. They shopped every Saturday and used up much of what they bought for the next week. Now all four of them are home all day. That makes a difference.
Which is what I was trying to point out above...same with toilet paper. If your kids are normally in school for six hours a day, and now they are home--they will be using toilet paper AT HOME and your family will need to provide it, not the school.

I'm NOT talking about hoarders. I'm talking about families who suddenly realize they need more supplies because the kids are now home and not at Grandma's or the daycare.

Azastan

Post by Azastan »

Lani wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:52 pm
Also - baby wipes!
Not in my septic system!

Return to “Coronavirus”