On a Personal Level--Coronavirus COVID-19 Cancellations, etc.

ZekeB
Location: The nuttiest congressional district of a nut job state.

Re: On a Personal Level--Coronavirus COVID-19 Cancellations, etc.

Post by ZekeB »

neonzx wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:46 pm
Foggy wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:01 pm Just went to the big box store (BJ's) with ol' Wifehorn and Number 1 son.
  • No paper goods, not even napkins.
That's my report. :towel:
um, I really hope paper napkins weren't bought by others thinking that is a backup plan for TP. :? TP is TP because it falls apart in water... napkins, paper towels, don't.
Hey, plumbers need work too when we're in a depression.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Foggy wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:01 pm Just went to the big box store (BJ's) with ol' Wifehorn and Number 1 son.
  • Plenty of water, though.
  • Nothing in the meat department (but they had rotisserie chickens).
  • No ice cream (they usually have a TON of ice cream).
  • No frozen chicken, no frozen fish, no frozen vegetables.
  • They had milk, and potatoes, and everything we came to buy.
  • No line at the gas pumps, $1.85 a gallon.
I want to go to the store. It’s been a while. I’m leery of going out. Am I going to be judged? Treated like a disease vector? How long can I put it off? Will I put it off so long that I won’t be able to get anything? I’ve been back and forth for a couple days.
AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

pipistrelle wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:46 pm

I want to go to the store. It’s been a while. I’m leery of going out. Am I going to be judged? Treated like a disease vector? How long can I put it off? Will I put it off so long that I won’t be able to get anything? I’ve been back and forth for a couple days.
Do you have a grocery store nearby that does curbside or home delivery? One of my major ones has had it for a while, and I've never really wanted to use it. But I'm about to start it.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine
TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Good luck with that. One local news station tried to place orders at various Kroger and HEB stores in the area. If you order today, the soonest available pick up was March 24. Some delivery April 1.
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett
DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo »

I have a sister who works at a local Costco. I asked her if she might be able to get me another bag of onions, a carton of microwave popcorn, and a couple of hams. (I'm self-isolating because of my mom.)

Her report back: yesterday, the store only got in 16 bags of onions. 16 bags, when they normally get multiple pallets of them. No popcorn. No ham.

At 3:45 am this morning, she texted me that it's like Christmas there: 8 semis lined up and being hastily unloaded. Still no popcorn, but she might be able to get me ham.

She also said Costco will shortly be implementing a one-day-a-week shopping hour just for employees and their families, to occur a couple of hours before the stores officially open.

I wish she didn't have to work. She's retirement age and has asthma, but she can't afford to retire just yet. At least her work shift is mainly overnight, so she's only mixing with the public for a couple of hours each day. Still. . . :pray:
I've heard this bull before.
Estiveo

Post by Estiveo »

At dialysis today we were given permission slips showing our days/hours of treatment in case we're pulled over.
Image Image Image Image Image
Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

The hoarders started with toilet paper, kitchen paper towels, freezable meat, water, alcohol wipes and sprays and now, like locusts, they are back for everything else.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

As I mentioned in my report of partially empty shelves here in my city the reason may not be necessary hoarding but folks having to fill up for home cooking, what they would have eaten out during the day.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

RTH10260 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:03 pm
As I mentioned in my report of partially empty shelves here in my city the reason may not be necessary hoarding but folks having to fill up for home cooking, what they would have eaten out during the day.
That’s mostly why I need to go shopping. Of course I also can cut back on how much I eat. :)
TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

I have a friend whose husband is about 12 years older than she. He's retired. I asked her what Tony was doing all day and she responded: "Every day he goes to Costco and Sam's and sometimes Walmart. He's not buying anything, he's just going to watch the chaos!" That was last week, I'm pretty sure he's staying home now.

Sterngard Friegen

I went into the Westlake Village Costco Sunday after my walk ( :geezer: ) and the store was packed. There was a good supply of everything except hand sanitizer and sanitizing wipes. But the lines ran from the front of the store to the very back. No way was I going to stand in that line and breathe in all the air of my fellow shoppers.
Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Here in Harris County TX-

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

A coworker went to Costco at the opening bell. It was crowded, but she was able to get her wanted items + sanitizing wipes for us. There was a one item limit on those, so she got us one pack of the Kirkland brand and one of the Clorox brand. Five branches in Washington and the lads were running low. Happy to have them.

The Tukwila Costco is open at 8AM M-F for Executive Members. I may try to stop in on my way to work and see if I can get more hand sanitizer and Lysol spray. I keep trying to order from Business delivery and I keep topping off the order with copy paper for free delivery. All I got Tuesday was four cases of paper and one big jug of sanitizer.
Shizzle Popped

Post by Shizzle Popped »

My sister-in-law works in admissions at a local hospital. Forget about masks, their area ran out of gloves yesterday and were told they're on backorder. I was in Home Depot today picking up painting supplies so I can work on the house if (when?) we get put on lockdown and picked up a box of nitrile gloves for her area. They didn't have a lot but they had some and I saw several boxes when I was in Harbor Freight as well. Personally, I view this as an appalling lack of leadership by management at the hospital. I'd be calling every store in the area that might stock nitrile gloves and buy all of them I could get my hands on. Instead, they're putting their staff at greater risk than they already are. I may buy a few more boxes so that we can at least keep her area supplied for a while.
If Trump was a stopped clock he still wouldn't be right twice a day.
TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

My SIL works at a fairly good sized hospital in administration (she's been there for over 40 years!). Yesterday she told me:

* An ER doc is running around saying this is no big deal, like a bad cold etc. (!!) BUT
* The hospital has set up a triage tent outside the ER
* She was in a hallway with the 7 people who work in the top admin. office. She suggested they split up a rotating work-at-home for a while. Her suggestion was summarily rejected by one of the male C-suite guys. Hell, if they all get sick and die, who needs anybody to run the hospital anyway?

These are obviously people who have been consuming Fox News for way too long. Even with the Fox News pivot, these people still aren't believing any of this is serious. I guess when the dead bodies start piling up they might pay attention. I told her she should retire immediately!

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

There's a group I belong here through an app called Pittsburgh Beautiful. There are a lot of different options. Today the man who owns and runs the app took his car, set up a camera, and drove around the city. He drove from the East Hills on the parkway, into Downtown Pittsburgh, across to the North Side to Downtown, out the Fort Pitt Tunnels a few miles and back into the city, going into Oakland, the medical and university section of the city. The roads weren't deserted, but they looked more like they would at 3 AM than 5 PM when it's nearly gridlock. He probably drove about 40 miles (ca. 64 km) or so.

:eek2:

It was a diversion for a while. I hope he does ii again sometime.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Estiveo wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:00 pm At dialysis today we were given permission slips showing our days/hours of treatment in case we're pulled over.
:bighug:
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage
AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

Funeral directors across Pennsylvania are being urged to postpone funerals, cancel public viewings, and limit attendance at services to 10 people in an effort to curb the spread of COVID-19.

:crying:
TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

AndyinPA wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:04 pm Funeral directors across Pennsylvania are being urged to postpone funerals, cancel public viewings, and limit attendance at services to 10 people in an effort to curb the spread of COVID-19.

:crying:
They've been doing this in Italy for weeks. Weddings are also banned. The Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston will only allow a graveside service. IDK what their stance is on weddings. This is a different world.

Lani

Post by Lani »

I had a call today from a family with a funeral next week. The funeral parlor warned them that there might be new rules by then.

I don't know why I was called. :confused: But I sympathized. Thanks to the fogbowsers, I suggested they consider a small funeral for very close family and friends, followed by a joyful celebration of her life when times are better.
Sterngard Friegen

Rush hour in Southern California looks like the day after the Zombie Apocalypse: https://www.sigalert.com/map.asp?lat=33 ... .20767&z=3
Princess foofypants

Post by Princess foofypants »

Did a grocery run on Monday, kind of. My local Harris Teeter has a pickup option so I just ordered what we needed, scheduled a time for pickup (that was the hard part) then drop by and had my groceries loaded up without ever having to leave the car or breathe anyone else’s air. No toilet paper or lettuce and some of the brands had to be swapped out but it really went well.

Now if my secure connection and phone system from my office worked as well I’d be a happy camper
Danraft

Post by Danraft »

Hmmm... Questions that will have to be asked and answered at some point...

Will all the mandatory bans on gatherings and even curfews be enforced on the growing segment of society that has been exposed, infected, and recovered?

Everyone acts like the goal is to not get infected.

No. The goal is to not get it all-at-once.
Life under lockdown will not appeal to those people. Soon, they will be the majority.

I'm saying we need to start understanding what the exit strategy from "flattening the curve" looks like.
At what metrics do what actions happen?

Hint: keeping everyone locked down until a vaccine is ready is off the table.
The Mercury Project
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:49 am Just made and dropped off 10 pounds of real mac n cheese to a little coffee shop in the village. They are offering free meals to local school kids. Some kids are on bus routes where lunches are being dropped off by the school district, but "townie" kids don't get those.
Right on!
Well done.
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Danraft wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:51 am
Everyone acts like the goal is to not get infected.

No. The goal is to not get it all-at-once.
Life under lockdown will not appeal to those people. Soon, they will be the majority.

Hint: keeping everyone locked down until a vaccine is ready is off the table.
For me, personally, the goal is not to get infected. I don’t know if I’m high risk or not. I’m 60, diagnosed with diabetes, but it’s controlled with diet and exercise, and no other underlying health issues. But I don’t want to find out the hard way that, surprise!, I’m going to get slammed rather than suffer mild symptoms.

So I’m staying locked down; it’s the responsible thing to do. I’m fortunate that I’m in a position financially to do that. I realize that not everyone can.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Coronavirus”